2012 - 2013 Offseason Thread

The big one is Oliver. I am hoping these moves delay his retirement one year

or else they need a lefty

But otherwise it's solid

Swisher reportedly will be in Cleveland to meet with the Tribe on Tuesday or Wednesday. Hoping he's not allowed to leave the building before signing a deal. You guys may not want him, Tribe sort of NEEDS him.

Jays have to be the favorite in the AL east right now, no?

Drawing a blank on the back end of their pen though? Decent?

I think they have to be

Tampa made a great trade for Myers but it weakens them this and probly next year (losing Price will weaken them even more next summer)
Boston and NYY are at valleys right now

AA saw a time to strike at the best point and now has

Reyes
Melky
Joey Bats
EE
Rasmus
Lawrie
Lind
JPA
Bonifacio

Dickey
Morrows
Johnson
Romero
Buehrle

Janssen was great last year
Santos was good in CWS the year before, coming back now from surgery
Oliver is needed
Delabar/Lincoln are big arms

they probably need another lefty actually even if Oliver comes back

I completely forgot the Jays got Melky too

Damn...injuries aside (but you could say that about any team), they got a great squad there

I think Ross is also Cleveland's plan B, or I guess it would be at least plan C now since they also took a run at Victorino ... hoping the Buckeye in him tilts Swisher toward the Tribe.

Thats why Id go with Ruf and Brown....fuck it

Wait and see if they can handle it...if not, get someone at the trade deadline

ya I don't get why not just give Brown the job

tell him today he's starting RF opening day, regardless of spring training, and a slow start isn't ending that, he has months

give him no pressure

Getting Dickey to an extension which works out to around 30 million for 3 years here is pretty good value while the striking in the east is right

Buster Olney<s>@</s>Buster_ESPN Jays' rotation in '13 lines up to be, in some order: Dickey, Morrow, Buehrle, Josh Johnson, Romero. That's pretty impressive.

Amazing how terrible Romero was last year. Maybe with zero pressure he'll rebound...not that it looks like they'll need him. Dickey a great pick-up...Jays favorites in East.

Based on lineups and pitching, I have Tigers > Jays > Angels in AL...my Yanks down list with one year, patched-up, Old Timers' Day roster. :(

Amazing how terrible Romero was last year. Maybe with zero pressure he'll rebound...not that it looks like they'll need him. Dickey a great pick-up...Jays favorites in East.

Based on lineups and pitching, I have Tigers > Jays > Angels in AL...my Yanks down list with one year, patched-up, Old Timers' Day roster. :(

Rickey started 8-1 and then went down hill..Wonder if he had anythign to do by the break up with his gf, media in Toronto used that excuse, but truly his mechanics went to crap last year....going to be a fun team to watch.

This is almost embarrassing. Is this Nick Swisher or Mickey Mantle? The Indians even involved Jim Tressel. The account of Swisher's visit to Cleveland ...

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- If free agent Nick Swisher doesn't sign with the Indians, it won't be because they didn't try. Besides the offer of a four-year deal that could be close to $50 million, the Indians tugged on Swisher's Ohio State roots Monday and Tuesday in his recruiting trip to Cleveland. It began Monday night, when Swisher arrived in town with his wife, actress Joanna Garcia, and agent Dan Lozano. The Indians took them to dinner at Michael Symon's Lola Bistro on East 4th Street.
Among the diners were Indians President Mark Shapiro and General Manager Chris Antonetti and their wives, manager Terry Francona and bullpen coach Kevin Cash, who played with Swisher in New York.
Tuesday, Swisher received a tour of Progressive Field, the Indians' locker room and facilities. He also met with owner Paul Dolan.
During the tour, the Indians posted Swisher's picture on the scoreboard dressed in an Indians' uniform. The Indians lineup was listed with Swisher hitting fourth and playing right field. Mark Reynolds, whose signing became official Tuesday when Russ Canzler was designated for assignment to make room for him on the 40-man roster, was listed at first base. The name next to the DH spot was listed as TBD (to be determined).
The Indians then played a video on the scoreboard in which Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer, basketball coach Thad Matta and baseball coach Greg Beals talked about Swisher and encouraged him to join the Tribe. Swisher was born in Columbus and played baseball at Ohio State. He paid for the turf field at OSU's baseball stadium.
At lunch the Indians surprised Swisher by inviting friend and former Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel. Swisher and his entourage left about 3 p.m. Baltimore, Seattle, Texas, Philadelphia and the Dodgers are among the team interested in Swisher.
"It was great to connect with Nick and his wife, Joanna," said Antonetti. "It was great to visit and spend some time with him. We had a chance to share our thoughts on the organization and where we are, and answer any questions Nick had, as well as reconnect him with some of his Ohio roots."
When Antonetti was asked if all the bells and whistles were enough to get Swisher to sign, he said, "That's a better question for Nick."
Swisher, a switch-hitter, spent his last four years with the Yankees. Last season he hit .272 (146-for-537) with 36 doubles, 24 homers and 93 RBI.

like that for the Ms

Vargas will eat innings but isn't anything special, and with the fences moving in Safeco might have been torched next year

Mike Adams signs 2 yrs/12 mil with the phillies.

Placido Polanco 1 yr/2.75 mil with Marlins

Tom Gorzelanny 2 year deal with the Brewers

Mike Pelfrey 1 year/4 mil with the Twins

Carlos Villanueva 2 year/10 mil with the Cubbies, also looks like theyll end up signing Edwin Jackson

Ichiro 2 years/13 mil with the Yanks

Red Sox and Dodgers interested in Joel Hanrahan.

not so sure...be very surprised if Pierzynski repeats his career high numbers from last year at his advanced age (especially for C).

soto is going to hit like .220

I am not super high in Pierzynski, but offensively he's still a top 15 catcher, Soto would be 28-32

soto is going to hit like .220

I am not super high in Pierzynski, but offensively he's still a top 15 catcher, Soto would be 28-32

I stand corrected...always seem to remember Soto's '08 & '10 seasons and forget his .228 & .198 L2 yrs.

Hell, you may actually be being kind to Soto @ .220.

Pierzynski definitely should be an offensive upgrade...one year contract good at his age, too.

Ryan Freel, who played for five teams over an eight-year major league career, was found dead in his Florida home Saturday as a result of a self-inflicted shotgun wound, Jacksonville police said.
The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said they were treating the 36-year-old Freel's death as a suicide.
Freel, who grew up in Jacksonville, last played in the majors in 2009 when he played for four organizations.
In June he had been named the baseball coach at St. Joseph Academy in Jacksonville, but the Florida Times-Union reported that he later backed out of the job.
The former utility player's best stretch came with the Cincinnati Reds from 2004-06 when he stole 110 bases over the three seasons. He played a career-high 143 games and hit .277 with 28 RBIs in 2004.
On Twitter, Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips, who played with Freel from 2006-08, reacted with sadness to his former teammate's passing.
"#RIP?? to my friend & great teammate #RyanFreel! Really hurt by his passing! You'll never will be forgotten," he wrote.

swisher is awful when he is expected to produce, just remember that

he thrives when he is the 5th batter or under

sad to see him go but that contract is ridiculous

Wait. Is that a Yankees fan suggesting the Indians overpaid for a player? Tribe paid market price. Not very Tribesque, but they literally did not have a RF until they got him. And that's with Stubbs as a starting OF. They had Brantley, Stubbs, and unpromising minor leaguers.

Would it be crazy talk to suggest that the Indians could also find room for Kubel?

Tribe needs to find a new home for Chris Perez in exchange for something interesting.

Given the state of the free-agent market this winter, it's not surprising that Nick Swisherwould get a four-year deal or an annual salary of $14 million, with a vesting option for a fifth season at the same rate. The surprise is that the contract came from a second-division club in Cleveland that operates with one of the game's lowest payrolls and doesn't appear to have significant hopes of playoff contention for at least two more years.

What I don't get is the logic of a below-.500 team giving a four-year contract to a corner outfielder who is entering his age-32 season. Cleveland lost 94 games in 2012 and had the second-worst run differential in the majors; prior to the Swisher signing, its only significant move of the offseason was trading Choo for Trevor Bauer, a great deal for the long term, but hardly enough to make the team a contender in 2013 or 2014.

:searching:

Back