2012 - 2013 Offseason Thread

Not sure where those are from but the numbnuts who wrote them doesn't have much of a handle on the Tribe's outfield options nor the annual winnability of the AL Central.

Pirates acquired OF/1B Jerry Sands, RHPs Stolmy Pimentel and Mark Melancon and INF Ivan DeJesus, Jr. from the Pirates for RHP Joel Hanrahan and INF Brock Holt.

Pirates acquired OF/1B Jerry Sands, RHPs Stolmy Pimentel and Mark Melancon and INF Ivan DeJesus, Jr. from the Pirates for RHP Joel Hanrahan and INF Brock Holt.
This is why the Pirates will never be a winning organization - trading players to themselves...

:searching:

p.s. Hanrahan traded to the Red Sox... : )

great job by pitt only investing 6.75 in grilli to close....teams like pitt can't afford to overpay for closers yet teams do all the time (fucking cincy)

great job by pitt only investing 6.75 in grilli to close....teams like pitt can't afford to overpay for closers yet teams do all the time (fucking cincy)

however, in 2012 grilli probably had the best season of his career, his second year with the pittsburgh pirates. Over the course of 58 2/3 innings, the reliever struck out 90 batters and held opponents to a 2.90 era. But despite that success, grilli didn’t necessarily follow the most money when he re-signed with the bucs, nor did he stay for the chance to win, apparently. “all of that [comfort, family] was a bigger factor than … trying to go somewhere where i felt that, you know, you might even have a chance to win or to even take more money just for the sake of ‘i’m at the last quarter turn of my career,’” grilli told 93.7 the fan’s john phillips in a radio interview, according to broadcaster joe starkey

feel the excitement

This is why the Pirates will never be a winning organization - trading players to themselves...

:searching:

p.s. Hanrahan traded to the Red Sox... : )

it was a good trade, no one in Pittsburgh is upset even though we love the Hammer. People are more pissed that Brock Holt was traded

Buster Olney ‏<s style="text-decoration: initial; color: rgb(187, 187, 187);">@</s>Buster_ESPN
Some officials now convinced that it'll be Upton, rather than Kubel, who will be the outfielder that Arizona moves before start of its camp.

Expand

<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">5m</small>Buster Olney ‏<s style="text-decoration: initial; color: rgb(187, 187, 187);">@</s>Buster_ESPN
The Diamondbacks have viewed Seattle as a possible landing spot for Upton, but remember, he would have to approve any deal to Mariners.

Expand

<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">6m</small>Buster Olney ‏<s style="text-decoration: initial; color: rgb(187, 187, 187);">@</s>Buster_ESPN
Arizona very much open again to talking about trading Justin Upton w/other teams, and not surprisingly, their specific demands have changed.

zona pretty much has to trade him now, they throw his name around every week it seems. thats no way to treat a young franchise player. i think they fucked up big time by doing this. he could still be great

Seattle could throw something around 1 or 2 of

Walker, Zunino, Franklin, Hultzen, Paxton

doubt they move Zunino, but after moving Bauer some pitching would probably interest them.

just a weird organization though, really strange the way they treat young players

Did Brett Myers make this thread? My Tribe's making moves. One year deal, pending a physical.

He, Ubaldo, and Masterson are locked into the rotation. Rest are sort of up for grabs, McAllister probably in there somewhere, Carrasco's a candidate.

He, Ubaldo, and Masterson are locked into the rotation. Rest are sort of up for grabs, McAllister probably in there somewhere, Carrasco's a candidate.

I'd imagine the fourth turn will go to McAllister and fifth to Kluber or Carrasco. It's nice to have a lefty in the rotation, but not necessary — Huff reminds me too much of Jeremy Sowers. Based on what I saw last season from Bauer, I don't think he's quite ready yet. I watched his fourth and final start with the Snakes in Cincy, and he was consistently bouncing his off-speed stuff a good 10 feet in front of the plate. He's got some filthy stuff when he does get it over the dish, and his work ethic will take him far. I'm sure you're already aware of his unorthodox warmup routine, but if you haven't seen it yet, I'd suggest you get out there early for one of his home starts and watch him long-toss foul pole-to-foul pole. Guy is a freak. I think the best thing for him is to pitch the first half in Columbus, and give him the pill after the break. I also believe Carrasco can be a serviceable major-league arm, but thought Kluber started to pick up some confidence and settled in there down the stretch. Recall being impressed with his changeup, and if I were Tito, that's who I'd give the ball to every fifth day.

Mark Reynolds, Drew Stubbs and Nick Swisher? Holy shit, you guys are going to shatter the single-season strikeout record for an offense.

I'd imagine the fourth turn will go to McAllister and fifth to Kluber or Carrasco. It's nice to have a lefty in the rotation, but not necessary — Huff reminds me too much of Jeremy Sowers. Based on what I saw last season from Bauer, I don't think he's quite ready yet. I watched his fourth and final start with the Snakes in Cincy, and he was consistently bouncing his off-speed stuff a good 10 feet in front of the plate. He's got some filthy stuff when he does get it over the dish, and his work ethic will take him far. I'm sure you're already aware of his unorthodox warmup routine, but if you haven't seen it yet, I'd suggest you get out there early for one of his home starts and watch him long-toss foul pole-to-foul pole. Guy is a freak. I think the best thing for him is to pitch the first half in Columbus, and give him the pill after the break. I also believe Carrasco can be a serviceable major-league arm, but thought Kluber started to pick up some confidence and settled in there down the stretch. Recall being impressed with his changeup, and if I were Tito, that's who I'd give the ball to every fifth day.

Mark Reynolds, Drew Stubbs and Nick Swisher? Holy shit, you guys are going to shatter the single-season strikeout record for an offense.

Tribe seems adamant about seasoning Bauer a little more. He'll be up, they'll get sick of watching one of these guys every fifth day. He and Myers and Perez should make for an interesting and flaky clubhouse. And you're not kidding about the strikeouts. Hoping they can "fix" Stubbs.

Had already forgotten how young a few of those guys are who have been up a couple seasons.

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Mariners offered one of Danny Hultzen, James Paxton or Taijuan Walker, plus Nick Franklin, Charlie Furbush and Stephen Pryor to the Diamondbacks for Justin Upton.

It would have been quite a haul for the D'Backs, but it's a moot point unless Upton changes his mind and winds up accepting a deal to the Mariners. While the M's are one of four teams on Upton's no-trade list, it's possible a deal could be revived. The Rangers and Braves are also in the mix.
Related: Diamondbacks

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter

If the Nats get Javier Vazquez, they might win 115 games this season with this staff.

1. Stras
2. Gio
3. Zimm
4. Vaz
5. Detwiler/Haren

If the Nats get Javier Vazquez, they might win 115 games this season with this staff.

1. Stras
2. Gio
3. Zimm
4. Vaz
5. Detwiler/Haren

Eh ... Vazquez is about done. Might win 100+ with or without him, they're loaded. And Stras is rested.

1. Stras
2. Gio
3. Zimm
4. Vaz
5. Detwiler/Haren

agree with Tip here, don't think you need VAz in the 4..Haren goes 4 and Detwiler goes 5 and yo uhave Vaz as the 6th man - MLR, or spot starts etc

No Nats or Reds on the Sunday Night TV schedule that was just released...odd considering the number 1 and 2 records from last year.

agree with Tip here, don't think you need VAz in the 4..Haren goes 4 and Detwiler goes 5 and yo uhave Vaz as the 6th man - MLR, or spot starts etc

I don't know if we we've been watching the same Dan Haren lately, but that guy doesn't even break glass anymore. He's had all kinds of health issues lately (bad hip AND back) and his fastball velocity has been on the steady decline over the last four seasons. And with that, his strikeout and swing-and-miss rates are in a four-year pattern of decline as well. There wasn't a better pitcher in baseball down the stretch of 2011 than Vazquez, and the season off seems to have rejuvenated his fastball. According to Alex Cora and scouts, he's currently in the best shape of his life from CrossFit training and it was evident when he touched 95 on his 83rd pitch of a Winter League playoff game last week. Haren is obviously a high-risk/high-reward signing, but I feel like the risk (13 mil/1 yr) is far too high for what they paid for him especially considering they could've had Vaz for at least half that price in a one-year deal. Vaz wants to go to a team where he's guaranteed a spot in the rotation, and unfortunately the Nats are one of the couple teams in baseball that can't do that after pissing away money on Haren. And if they think Vaz is going to sign a minor league deal, they're fucking crazy. He'll likely end up in Boston or on the south side of Chicago, and the Nats will be kicking themselves when Haren and Stras are both back on the DL by the summer.

Detwiler > Haren.

Jan 10 RHP Javier Vazquez has been auditioning for teams during the Puerto Rican Winter League season, and the Red Sox are among his suitors. The Sox recently scouted back-to-back starts by the 36-year-old, who still is deciding whether to come out of retirement and pitch this season. Vazquez was impressive Jan. 9, allowing one run on six hits and one walk while striking out 10 in six innings. His winter ball manager, former Red Sox infielder Alex Cora, tweeted in Spanish that Vazquez's fastball reached 95 mph. In five starts for Caguas, Vazquez has posted a 3.52 ERA, 30 strikeouts and only six walks in 23 innings.

Jan 9 Nationals GM Mike Rizzo was in Puerto Rico to watch Javier Vazquez pitch Wednesday, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports.
Recommendation: After 14 MLB seasons, Vazquez didn't play professionally in the States last season. However, right-hander showed in 2011 that he still has some left in the tank, going 13-11, posting a 3.69 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP. The GM of Vazquez's Puerto Rican team, Alex Cora, reportedly boasted on Twitter that Vazquez was clocked at 95 mph Wednesday, on his 83rd pitch of the night.

Back