2012 - 2013 Offseason Thread

Vazquez was a money making machine in 2nd half of 2011. Lines were still awesome all the way in September. I'm interested to see how Haren's health affects him. I thought his stuff was down in 2011 too, but he was a savvy enough pitcher to still be extremely effective. Ly, not only did his his stuff downgrade again but he lost his command too due to the back injury. I could see him get back close to '11 guy if healthy, but I don't see the back or hip letting him.

From an article DWoww retweeted

"In short, Young does not get on base, does not work pitchers, does not hit for a whole lot of power, possesses no speed and plays terrible defense."

LOLOL

awesome

And we do have Ben "Willie Mays 2.0" Revere patrolling center...

though with young in right and Ruf in left, he might have to patrol those as well

From an article DWoww retweeted

"In short, Young does not get on base, does not work pitchers, does not hit for a whole lot of power, possesses no speed and plays terrible defense."

LOLOL

awesome

if i have time im writing an article about Ruben's overall incompetence and why nobody realizes just how terrible he is at his job.

I tell you what...if the Braves get Upton without giving up Simmons...damn

that lineup/defense is young, good and scary

I tell you what...if the Braves get Upton without giving up Simmons...damn

that lineup/defense is young, good and scary

how they gonna do that? who are they gonna give up? that would be thievery. I guess zona just traded for a young defensive whiz ss, didi gregorious or whatever. but what kind of package can atl offer?

eh, i dont necessarily agree. could he still be a major leaguer? yeah, but his stock is not nearly what it was 2 yrs ago.

From that same article:

"Last year, in 608 plate appearances, Delmon Young walked 20 times. Michael Young walked 33 times in 651 plate appearances. And Revere walked 29 times in 553 plate appearances.
By contrast, Domonic Brown walked 21 times in 212 PAs."

What the fuck is the problem with sitcking Dom Brown in right and fucking leaving him there for a bit

Hopefully Youngs ankle never heals

975TheFanatic ‏<s>@</s>975TheFanatic Amaro: Delmon Young would be our starter if proves to us that he can play everyday ... He's a much more accomplished player than Dom Brown.

975TheFanatic ‏<s>@</s>975TheFanatic
Amaro on why he made the move: I didn't like the fact that we were going into a situation with so many unproven players.

FML Much better to have someone thats proven hes average at best than someone who has never been given the opportunity to accomplish something....

Enjoy never seeing a first pitch taken...and if he does you have to take a shot...mini-drinking game we made up last year...

Jump is right about that stache though!

Ya Zona is a joke franchise

I know he declined it but the offer from the Ms was so much better, I dono how you then accept that

the phillies are lacking in prospects but damn, they coulda put a package together at this level. way to let Atl fill all their holes.

RAJ has literally destroyed this team.

the phillies are lacking in prospects but damn, they coulda put a package together at this level. way to let Atl fill all their holes.

RAJ has literally destroyed this team.

our prospects arent totally brutal anymore

no high end talent aside from Biddle but theres some decent depth

theyre in the late teens Id say as far as organizational rank

BJ Upton is an above average player, but not worth the $ he makes, but he had the extreme fortune of being one of the only decent free agents this year, so he made bank. Hes not a superstar but hes definitely a player.

Justin is still so young, already has a MVP runner up, and now gets to go play with his brother. I could see him being big time. BJ's just an above average CF

Prado was and unsung hero for the Braves. Im not sure how I feel about him leaving. I am excited that the Braves finally made some moves for bats and arent trying to do it all with pitching. Overated or not that outfield has a lot of speed and power now. Plus add Freeman, McCann, Simmleton, and potentially Uggla (if he ever learns to hit again) and thats a solid line up.

haha cmon my man, as a Phillies fan I see how Prado is a good guy to have on a team, but losing him is a sacrifice you have to be ok with making here.

<s>@</s>ToddFuhrman While everyone lauds the move of Justin Upton to Atlanta, his home/road splits give me a reason to be skeptical http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8080/splits;_ylt=AtW_v8dLCoby5OM.X4HhUbeFCLcF?year=career&type=Batting …

Defensively, he's an outstanding right fielder who'll be just as good in left, assuming Atlanta leaves Jason Heyward -- himself a plus-plus glove in right -- in his current spot. Way too much has been made of Upton's home/road splits; talented players in extreme parks often produce extreme splits where neither half measures their true talent, with Matt Holliday a solid recent example. Upton's ability to hit and hit for power has never been tied to the ballpark, but to his bat speed, his wrist acceleration and his eye at the plate. If he's healthy in 2012 and gets some support from his new coaching staff, he should become a top-10 player in the league again, and at an average of just under $13 million a year for the next three seasons, he'll be a relative bargain for his new employers.

[h=3]Did Arizona get enough?[/h]The Diamondbacks' new strategy seems to be to trade any player that manager Kirk Gibson doesn't like, regardless of the reason. For the second time this offseason, they've made such a deal and taken less than full value in return for a player the whole industry knew the team wanted to move. At some point, they're going to have to stop blaming the players.
Arizona's return boils down to this: One year of Martin Prado, six years of a fifth starter inRandall Delgado, two fringy prospects and one non-prospect. If that sounds like a good deal to you, I have some beachfront property in Phoenix to sell you.

As a braves fan I couldn't be anymore pumped. Towers is idiot. Two worst deals of the offseason are on his watch. Upton, Upton, and Heyward....wow. Bj is a decent player, but now the Braves have 2 players, in Jup and Heyward, that can be superstars. I feel like at least one will develop into that, maybe both.

Defensively, he's an outstanding right fielder who'll be just as good in left, assuming Atlanta leaves Jason Heyward -- himself a plus-plus glove in right -- in his current spot. Way too much has been made of Upton's home/road splits; talented players in extreme parks often produce extreme splits where neither half measures their true talent, with Matt Holliday a solid recent example. Upton's ability to hit and hit for power has never been tied to the ballpark, but to his bat speed, his wrist acceleration and his eye at the plate. If he's healthy in 2012 and gets some support from his new coaching staff, he should become a top-10 player in the league again, and at an average of just under $13 million a year for the next three seasons, he'll be a relative bargain for his new employers.

Yea, Braves made a hell of a deal...potential MVP for Prado, a #4/5 SP and young prospects? Got to do it everytime. Was just trying to spark some discussion on possible downside...

Great for the Braves. Prado was going to want 11-12 Million in the offseason. No way you can pay him that. And now you get a potential MVP candidate to plug into the middle of the lineup. Although his power will go down most likely moving the ban box in Zona to Turner.

Back