2012 - 2013 Offseason Thread

I penciled Stubbs in the DH slot basically by default vs a RHP. But if Giambi impresses in Spring camp, he has a decent shot at locking down the DH job vs righties, I suppose. If Kotsay becomes available at some point, I think he'd be a perfect fit on this club as the DH vs RHP. Giambi is a good guy to have in the clubhouse, but so is Kotsay, who I think has a bit more in the tank left. Marson should catch every fourth or fifth day allowing Santana to see some time at DH. I'd imagine Aviles will be the DH vs lefties unless Y. Gomes, Raburn or B. Francisco has a hot camp at the dish. Like Tip said, Stubbs could get shipped out for an arm at some point, which would allow Carerra, who has speed and is solid defensively, to make the team as the fourth OFer. But I still think Francisco has some baseball left in him and if I remember correctly, he had some decent days at Progressive. If Stubbs sticks around I think he'll be very valuable to this team. Like Jump said, Stubby will be in LF against lefties since Brantley can't hit them (although he did improve against them last season). Stubbs swings it pretty damn well vs LHP. I think he'll even steal some at-bats vs RHP in the DH slot, as his speed is a luxury to have at the bottom of the order, even if he can't hit his weight vs RHP lol. And he could see a spot start in CF for Bourn or a few starts in RF which would allow Swish to move to 1B and Reynolds to DH. Swish plays a solid RF — he's great at laying out and making up for that step he gives away with his lack of speed, and he has a solid and accurate arm from out there. Agree with Doggy in that Reynolds played a Gold Glove 1B in Balty last season and can pick it with the best of them (just ask JJ Hardy), and Swish wasn't all that bad spotting Tex at 1B in NY, either. Don't think Brantley gets enough credit for what he does defensively in the OF. Either way you slice it, the Indians will have plenty of viable options to work with in the field this season.

Well i mean they did win 102 games that year

problem is they shoulda stopped at 101 and let the braves in the playoffs instead of the cardinals

:hang:

ugh, i remember that last game. the game went extras and the phils scored some fluke run and won. fans were all happy on twitter except for ppl who actually knew their shit who were like "stfu u do realize that was the worst thing that could have happened right?"

lol, fat joe started that game i believe.

Tribe starting pitching was atrocious last season, 14th out of 14, big part of the stats damage done in the August freefall, worst month in franchise history. Outfield defense should help this season, but they need a lot of stuff to happen just to get to the middle of the pack in pitching ... bounceback from Masterson, an even more improbable resurrection of the guy who used to be Ubaldo, a seamless transition back to starting for Myers, young guys like Mcallister getting better, Carrasco coming back well and developing after missing a year with surgery, Trevor Bauer arriving ahead of schedule, pipe dream lightning in a bottle from Kazmir or Dice-K ... they need a lot on that list to happen to contend, and that's asking a lot.

I liked this one: paul hoynes ‏<s style="text-decoration: initial; color: rgb(187, 187, 187);">@</s>hoynsieArizona C Miguel Montero, who clashed with Trevor Bauer last year, told Arizona Sports 620 "Good luck to Carlos Santana' on catching Bauer.

oh no, a guy with his own throwing program and own mechanics and own philosophy who made himself a top five pick and went through the minor leagues in two years wants to keep doing things his way? doesn't he know he has to be indoctrinated with the MLB we ain't changin shit philosophy for pitchers that's resulted in bucketloads of pitchers on the DL constantly and has the avg starter happy to get through 5 or 6 innings?

oh no, a guy with his own throwing program and own mechanics and own philosophy who made himself a top five pick and went through the minor leagues in two years wants to keep doing things his way? doesn't he know he has to be indoctrinated with the MLB we ain't changin shit philosophy for pitchers that's resulted in bucketloads of pitchers on the DL constantly and has the avg starter happy to get through 5 or 6 innings?

:clapping:

and do realize "his way" will land him out of the majors in 2 years

it's not the way he did it, it was his attitude. fuck off bauer, wanted everyone to make changes for him. and this was a pretty fucking lenient crew in az

funny how i agree with cub and disagree on a whole completely

the guy was a grade a piece of shit. too proud. goodbye.

Sounds like Montero never saw Bull Durham. Tell the hitter what's coming, your insolent pitcher will start listening to you one pitch later.

Sounds like Montero never saw Bull Durham. Tell the hitter what's coming, your insolent pitcher will start listening to you one pitch later.
Well he really hit the shit out of that one, didn't he? And he scrambled that son of a bitch. Look at that, he hit the fucking bull. Guy gets a free steak.

Somebody tell me something about this Verlander kid angling to come to the Bronx in 2015... :dancing:

Last edited:
and do realize "his way" will land him out of the majors in 2 years

it's not the way he did it, it was his attitude. fuck off bauer, wanted everyone to make changes for him. and this was a pretty fucking lenient crew in az

They likely should have made the changes. Bauer knows more about pitching mechanics and staying healthy than the dbacks do.

This is funny.

no, it's sad but it's true. ask yourself a few questions and this doesn't apply to just the dbacks btw.

1. Do teams use high speed cameras to capture videos of their pitchers throughout the minor leagues and in the major leagues and then properly analyze the videos to diagnose mechanical issues and/or predict future health issues?
2. Do teams monitor their pitchers' (or any of their players) nutrition plans in the minor leagues?
3. Have teams shown any willingness to embrace alternative training methods (such as the ones Bauer uses) for even their lessor prospects as advocated in this article: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/blog_article/seeking-surplus-value-risk-free-wins/
4. As technology, nutrition, strength training, etc improves all the time, why haven't MLB teams been able to capitalize on this to improve player development, specifically the health and development of pitchers?

I predict the O's to finish in last place. I'll be happy to place a bet that the Cubs will finish higher in their division than the O's will if anyone is up for it.

Why not Cub? Nothing like a nice season long homer bet. PM me if you're game.

no, it's sad but it's true. ask yourself a few questions and this doesn't apply to just the dbacks btw.

1. Do teams use high speed cameras to capture videos of their pitchers throughout the minor leagues and in the major leagues and then properly analyze the videos to diagnose mechanical issues and/or predict future health issues?
2. Do teams monitor their pitchers' (or any of their players) nutrition plans in the minor leagues?
3. Have teams shown any willingness to embrace alternative training methods (such as the ones Bauer uses) for even their lessor prospects as advocated in this article: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/blog_article/seeking-surplus-value-risk-free-wins/
4. As technology, nutrition, strength training, etc improves all the time, why haven't MLB teams been able to capitalize on this to improve player development, specifically the health and development of pitchers?

Damn, if I don't love Cubs intellect...it's like no one I know and always makes me question my opinions (mostly for the amazing good and sometimes for the occasionally bad hmmmm) but this is GOLD...in an amazingly good way.

Last edited:
144852-650-366.jpg

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal hears that the Brewers are not in the mix for Mike Carp.

The Mariners have until Thursday to trade Carp, who was designated for assignment last week. The Brewers have been speculated as a potential fit following the injuries to Corey Hart and Mat Gamel, but the club plans to explore internal options before looking outside the organization. The Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo reported Monday that the Twins, Astros and Red Sox are among the clubs with interest in Carp.

Related: Brewers
Source: FOX Sports

--------------------------------------------

This would be a mistake imo. I know he's not very good defensively, but the Brewers could use a left-handed stick with some pop in the five or six hole.

Forget what I said about Carp, who was acquired by the BoSox today. Forgot all about Hunter Morris. Surely he'll be the starting 1B on opening day.

Back