08/09 Preseason thread

Now's the time to open it up... what a wretched lineup CHA has going on...

Shannon Brown, DJ Augistine, Matt Carroll and 2 no namers...

down 7 at half, but still actually not feeling too bad. Atl been making a habit of coming back after half, and Charlotte is just making every outside shot possible. If I had 2nd H line,s i'd play ATL 2nd H, because teams rarely shoot at such a high clip from outside. The FT disparity does help as well.

Jrich has a lot of hot 1st halfs, then realllly cools out 2nd H. Nice 8:30 to go in 3rd and Charlotte already 4 Team fouls. similair in 2nd H. Cats been shootin outside all day- 1st H made them- doubt it continues 2nd H. ATL been attackin the rim, drawin fouls

done w/ nba pre-season, unless a keyt opportunity comes up... none of the quotes matter.. hit big one night but been 50/50 since...

btw, hawks won't make the playoffs this year... mark my words

ugh. NBA preseason been kickin my ass. But I expect a bouncback. Just need to be more disciplined. Kinda forced out the last 2 bets. gonna try to be more choosy with my spots, and hopefully work my way back to the plus. Not much to say regarding this ATL game, picked the wrong side. Bibby is key to this team at point, esp considering flip is 3rd string PG and hes a scorer.

Other thoughts: Memphis game was a tossup imo. Any team that shoots 11-21 from 3 will win, and sadly this team only did it by 8. Hibbert showed his value today that should really help Indiana this year. Jack is a backup PG- spark off the bench. NOT a starting SG, and he won't be during reg season. Mayo finally broke out with 26 going 6-8 from 3. too bad he didnt do it when I had memphis. Both memphis and Indiana will surprise people and exceed expectations this yr

Oklahoma City surprised me. No jeff green but durant stepped up, and apparently by attacking the rim. 20 of his 26 coming in the 4th! I want to take them 2m at home for the first time, as the crowd should be rockin. However, 4th game in 5 nights will likely keep me off of it, esp considering these guys have been playin regular season minutes.

Jeff Green (sprained ankle) was the latest addition to Oklahoma City’s injured list that already included Robert Swift (hand), Kyle Weaver (groin), Mouhamed Sene (knee), Joe Smith (nose) and D.J. White (jaw). Damien Wilkins took a shot to the head in the fourth quarter against Houston and didn’t return.
The Thunder play their first game in Oklahoma City on Tuesday night against the Los Angeles Clippers.
“Whether it will translate (Tuesday) or not, I don’t know,” Thunder coach P.J. Carlesimo said. “I just like how we competed, how much enthusiasm and how much intensity we played with. That, to me, was far and away the best thing.”

Will get to 2ms game thoughts later. initial leans are NO (guessing line around -6) and possibly NYK (probably around pk)

hahaha. Same here leaning NoH. Thoughts on Det? Thinking -4.0 thats because they are the Spurs. But they are playing this preseason like a bunch of lunatics?

Didn't get much capping done last night. Except for this game. Wash seems not too into this trip. Some already complaining and all kept busy in clinics and such. New Orleans seems a bit more professional and serious about these games. Also, not impressed by wash in preseason. Abused by Dallas and Detroit. Beat Memphis, but again more Memphis beat themselves as they couldn't make anything. More depth on new Orleans, altho not a big playmaker which hurts. New orleans and Detroit having the best preseason this far in my eyes. IMO this is an ugly blowout with highlight reel dunks for the fans by the 3rd q
New Orleans -7- 2 units

Won't be around much to post more until midday. As far as Detroit, no billups= no play for me. I'm posting on my phone so can't paste the link, but billups is out. Stuckey and afflalo are fine reserves so lean Detroit, but likely no play for me

nice start, and maybe finish of the day for me. Woke up, checked the score and up 41 in the 2nd Q. Should be a great day today heh. May not touch anything else, ill look thru papers and if I see something jump out, Ill go on. However, right now not much.

fourth game in five nights for Oklahoma City may be good reason to fade them, but first home game for Oklahoma city in a long while gets me off it. I think Oklahoma City will be a respectable home team this yr, but very susceptible to the young teams struggles: closing games, 4/5, long road trips, responding to buzzer beaters, etc.

screw it. semi action play:

Boston -1.5- 1 unit

deeper bench. Wallace out, Perkins in. No west or pav. bron, mo, ray, KG, and PP will play 10-15 minutes max. betting on Boston bench over whats left of Clevelands

quick recap:

1) Wash should write an apology to the league. NBA makes these exhibition international games to gain popularity overseas and measure where they stand as far as fans overseas. Wash getting blown out by 40 midway thru the 2nd is NOT what the NBA wanted and probably hurt where they stand. NO meanwhile continues to mow thru the preseason. Maybe a nice spot to take Wash getting over 7 next game

2) SA/Detroit. SA bench did work altho it was probably more of a case of detroit unable to knock down shots or gain composure: not too surprising considering their floor leader was out. Dont take too much stock from this game. detroit is still dominant
“When your team doesn’t do well you try to figure out what you can do as a coach and as a staff to make the team better,” said Pistons coach Michael Curry. “We’ll do that and get back to work and do some real productive things and come back for a much better effort.”

3) Philly and NY. not much big surprise there. Minutes played was ncie to see Phillys starters logging 35ish. SHowing regular season form. NY will definitely be a over team for totals players

4) Boston continues playing close games and winning them. Bron played 18 minutes, likely working his way into game-like minutes soon.

5) OKC workin their young players. 5/7 and 3 players get over 35 minutes in preseason?! wow

6) Chicago sucks? they're trying but no excuse. They played deng 45 minutes and still lose.

little lean to GS: theyve been playing great preseason. Buike, Biedrins, and Maggette should play this game making us deep and dangerous. Milwaukee in a great spot the other day gainst detroit failed. Little afraid of the 35 minutes I'm sure Redd/Bogut/RJ will get, but imo this GS team is too much deeper. Definitely gonna see the lineups, and I'll be up likely to watch the game, so may add at gametime

Phoenix may be a play, esp if Barbosa is in. Tucker- whos been stepping up for phoenix bench, is Q so gotta see. But ATL without Bibby and Marvin. ATL's been shit without Bibby as with Acie starting, Flip comes off the bench as PG. Not the problem you want with Nash and Barbosa with some Dragic

homecoming for Dorsey at Memphis as he'll likely play a lot. Adelman said he plans to play Dorsey much more in longer stretches this preseason, which likely means less time for Yao. lean to memphis, but will likely be off it. Expecting a line around a pk. Dont feel too good about this one

why did rose not start tonight and why did lu play 40+ minutes. what the hell is going on?

Kidd, Erick Dampier and Jerry Stackhouse will not dress but probably will see extensive action Thursday at Detroit.

with that I really want to see who's in for Indiana. Last game: Daniels, Murphy, Dunleavy, Granger, and Diener missed which is insane considering last yrs starting lineup included four of those players, and i think in some instances all of them. Hopefully somehow, they all come out to play this game, talk about being in great shape, blowout dallas, and I can win a couple units on it. Likely though, I'll be off of it.

Iverson, who sat out Saturday against Phoenix, might be out again tonight because of a sore left knee. He didn't practice Tuesday.
"I would doubt if he'll go," said Karl, who will have Anthony back after he missed two games because of a bruised finger, although he said Anthony had his calves tighten up Tuesday. "His knee is still sore."

AK is Q. Im liking Utah, but have unsuccessfully faded Denver twice in a row. do i go for 3? Line should be about a pk

man. 5 AM here and I couldnt find a place that had a line on this game, and I cant find a feed for this game. weak. ruined my day

why did rose not start tonight and why did lu play 40+ minutes. what the hell is going on?

B/c Rose is filthy in 2k8 and I don't want him stinking it up in real life and then hurting his rating. So he's tanking to protect it.

NO yesterday was easy money...IMO easy money today would be Dallas -2.5

Dallas has too much depth over this indiana team which seems to be going downhill fast. Although they were able to beat us on chicago, look at chicago right now, they look like crap IMO. Dallas on the other hand is a very solid team. I am actually surprised that the line would be this low but I suppose it is the preseason here we are dealing with. Either way Dallas has been killing the competition just like NO.

Dallas 102 Indiana 77

Last edited:
OSO$. Been eyeing that play all day. Little to no discussion going on here.

Dampier, Stackhouser, and Kidd out...

but they have great =/- differenential with Diop and Terry playing...

Indy still all banged up...

OSO$. Been eyeing that play all day. Little to no discussion going on here.

Dampier, Stackhouser, and Kidd out...

but they have great =/- differenential with Diop and Terry playing...

Indy still all banged up...

Yeah I'm sure although dallas has a couple big injuries there, but I am not worried at all. The depth of this Dallas team should be way too strong to be beat. Just eye'd the game didn't really look into injuries yet but even still, I really like Dallas to come up big today, 10+ point win.

ok my Internet is messed, so I'm using phone to post

Didn't like Dallas cuz Kidd is too important for that offense, and thought the line was too high. Indiana is just as good as Dallas when healthy

Liked Atlanta ESP with tucker and shaq out, but didn't pull trigger cuz Internet sucks

One play
Memphis +2.5- 1 unit

No tmac or head. Memphis get instant revenge in h2h. Dorsey should take most of Yao's minutes.

fuck wtf. Memphis down 1 with 34 to go, at the shot clock wafer just throws one up over a perfect D by Ross over his extended D and swishes it.

Rocks win 101-97 shooting 18-29 from 3. fuckin joke

well back to work:

AUBURN HILLS -- The players didn't play well, but coach Michael Curry blamed himself, too, for the team's performance in Tuesday's 86-64 exhibition loss to San Antonio in Grand Rapids.
"After going back and watching the tape, our guys defensively were a lot better than I thought," Curry said Wednesday. "The mistakes they made, it was my fault. I had a couple of areas (defensively) that we had some uncertainty."
Accountability has been a huge theme with Curry this preseason and he said he'll admit mistakes when he makes them
"The biggest thing with a coach is, you have to admit to your players when you mess up, because you're going to mess up, just like the players do," Curry said. "When I make mistakes, I let them know."
It appears that Chauncey Billups, who has a sprained right ankle, will be able to play in the Pistons' home exhibition game Thursday against Dallas.
Billups worked out during a light practice Wednesday.
"Probably so," Billups said about Thursday's 7:30 p.m. game. "I'm feeling pretty good."
Said Curry, "As far as I know, he will (play). "If he has any pain, he won't play."

Kidd, Erick Dampier and Jerry Stackhouse will not dress but probably will see extensive action Thursday at Detroit.

-dont like the sound of that..

There is no cajoling from Sam Mitchell any more, and not very much patience, either, with those who don't do what they're supposed to.

He is not going to suffer laggards any longer, no more will he give playing time unless it's deserved and earned and if the likes of Will Solomon didn't get it before last night, they certainly do now.

Riding many of his starters for extended minutes because he was ticked off at his backups, Mitchell laid down the gauntlet after the Raptors subdued CSKA Moscow 86-78 last night.

Play right. Or don't play at all.

"We're working on certain things in practice, it's time to start applying them in games," Mitchell said after Toronto ran its pre-season record to 3-1 before a crowd of just 13,966. "We're calling, we're pushing, we're pulling. I'm not going to scream and yell but charity time is almost over. If you're not going to come out there and apply the things that we're doing in practice, you're not going to play."

Mitchell would never single out players by name but it's not hard to figure out who he was upset with. Solomon didn't play a minute of the second half – Jose Calderon played the entire third and fourth quarters – while Kris Humphries played just 13 minutes. Jamario Moon played only 20 and sat while Andrea Bargnani played small forward for the entire fourth quarter.

"We've played the first four pre-season games just playing people, showing them (mistakes) on tape with the premise of even if you make a mistake trying to do what we're working on, no problem," said Mitchell.

"It doesn't get any easier than that. If you're not going to come out and do those things, you're not going to play."

I may lay the points with Toronto. Minnesota been comin out and losing early to fight back. They've also benefitted from some weak competition. (Milwaukee, OKC, Denver, Chicago)

New Jersey played their starters around 30 minutes per. Boston playing about 10 but have been playing all very close games. In a lined game that may close around 3.5-4 points, the points may actually come to play

Charlotte got embarassed by Orlando in their opener. Should be an interesting line, and considering they were +6 at Orlando but got shut out- then Orlandos been rollin teams while Charlotte been getting tossed, we may see a +5 here.

Back