08/09 Preseason thread

Portland Trail Blazers forward Martell Webster fractured a bone in his left foot Tuesday night in an exhibition victory over the Sacramento Kings. The Blazers said the 2005 graduate of Seattle Prep will be evaluated to determine the best course of treatment. A timetable for his return was not set

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Guard Rudy Fernandez and center Joel Przybilla will not travel with the Portland Trail Blazers for their game in Kansas City against the Atlanta Hawks on Friday night.
Fernandez sprained his left ankle in the Blazers' 110-95 loss to the Golden State Warriors on Wednesday night. Przybilla has bronchitis.
The team also said that small forward Martell Webster had surgery Thursday to repair a stress fracture in his left foot. He will likely miss eight to 10 weeks

yea gr. sad thing is I said before preseason, my max for the preseason would be 2 units. Build up a bankroll then when reg season begins my max would be 5. Sadly, I've already broken that.

Wow... without Rudy... got to be sort of liking the Hawks... at least bench vs. bench.

Liking Denver, NYK, and maybe fading SAS tomorrow..

Liking hawks. However, might be fading Denver- minnesota showing up and I like the rotation they're using for preseason as itll likely be their rotation for reg season. Also, Denver altho coach says theyll play 20+ min, are a bit banged up. Gotta also think they rest a bit more gettin ready for outdoor game on saturday

was initially thinkin on fading SA. Wanna see their lineup and see some quotes. NO did knock em out of season last yr so...

I think it might be healthy to start predicting lines, although I've never really been too good at this: (i'll bold the teams i'd look at if my lines are right)

NYK
Philly -8.5

Detroit -6
Wash

Chicago
Indiana pk
-depending if Murphy/Dunleavy are in

Cleveland
Boston -6

Charlotte
Memphis -5

ATL
Port -3

Dallas -5
Milwaukee

New Orl pk
SA

Minny
Denver -6

Oklahoma City
Sac -3

most plays/leans depending on who's in/out

where do you guys get lineups?

I actually think opposite SF as far as unit betting, i tend to wager alot more on preseason and end of NBA season game because those games im privy to lineups and major mismatches that bookies cant adjust to. Still remains though 5 is where i cap out during preseason but during GS run 2 years ago I was going as high as 17-20 per game. Probably a bit much but if you saw San Antonios lineup today and it was crap and you're getting Houston at home -3 why not max bet? I have no regrets over tonight 1) I felt Dallas would fade at middle-end of game, they sort of did but getting a 15 pt 1st quarter lead shoots that. 2) I felt phoenix would not play its veteran starters much in a b2b and they did and even still then needed more production from bench which they luckily got in my mind; it is still gambling

Chicago at Indiana indi -1
fading chicago after what they looked like tonight almost looks too easy, but i still like that they have depth at guard and guys like gray and thomas should get plenty of minutes in the second half. lean chicago but i was on em tonight and im not sure i could stomach backing them for a second straight night. maybe its a positive they looked so awful tonight as they have the opportunity to redeem themselves right away.

NY Knicks at Philadelphia philli -9
line will probably be too high

Detroit at Washington detroit -5

detroits youth looked good. around 4 would be nice. tough to lay much more road chalk than that.

Cleveland at Boston boston -6
no point in fading boston at home

Atlanta at Portland portland -7.5
with atl is playin well but at this point the only thing they prob care about is getting home. blazers on the other hand are lookin to build momentum and put on a show for the home crowd. hoping atl's hot play to start the preseason outweighs the situation.

Charlotte at Memphis memphis -5
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=mem 5 or lower and ill probably be on memphis. love their depth at guard with conley, lowry, mayo and critt

Dallas at Milwaukee dallas -3
no idea

New Orleans at San Antonio NO -5
revenge angle and the spurs do not give a fuck and are on a b2b. id love a line around 3 here

Minnesota at Denver denver -3
no idea what to expect outta denver but minni's been focused so far this preseason and haven't been wasting time with stiffs out there (other than madsen) like minni here.

Oklahoma City at Sacramento pk
martin and miller still out? beno sounds like he's def out. gotta like ok here.

lookin hard at minni, ok and no. lean towards chicago as well as detroit and portland if the lines are low enough.

Wanting to see what you think of Celts laying 6.5?

I think their reserves play a bit better and they won't be outmatched like they were vs. Philly's backups

Boston is deeper and better. Cleveland SHOULDNT play bron much, but dunno. Bron may have some motivation to beat Boston after the game 7 loss

Wish BM had ML... I'd be on Knicks and Minny...

Just don't LOVE taking a small # on a game I see as 50/50 SU win.

I read Lebron saying "you don't bring the season losses into the pre-season"... Z said the same thing. Pav out, West out, Lebron not likely to play more than a quarter...

Z said success would be getting home without an injury.

Wish BM had ML... I'd be on Knicks and Minny...

Just don't LOVE taking a small # on a game I see as 50/50 SU win.

I know exactly how you feel. imagine having + money on ATL and NO.

can add OKC to that list as well. sac shouldnt be laying 5.5 to any1

I read Lebron saying "you don't bring the season losses into the pre-season"... Z said the same thing. Pav out, West out, Lebron not likely to play more than a quarter...

Z said success would be getting home without an injury.

read the same things, but I dunno. Being a competitor gotta hate your mind. ALL offseason , it just haunts you of the things you could've/shouldve done in the series. get to vent it out

Yeah... kind of stinks... I think they start to add ML's later in the pre-season if I'm not mistaken... it would only benefit them as they are probably getting killed with the chalks that get pounded...

well 2 losing days in a row: as far as 2m:

Allen Iverson likes the concept, but won't be launching any floaters into the breeze. Iverson planned to stay behind to get treatment on his swollen left knee, an injury that flared up as he sat on the bench in the fourth quarter.

"I want to be a part of it, I want to play in it," said Iverson, who had nine assists in nearly 23 minutes Friday night. "But I can't start off the season struggling with an injury."
Anthony's hand was wrapped in a bandage at a shootaround Friday, but the team said X-rays were negative.

"It's getting better," Anthony said after the game.

For as much as he wants to play in the outdoor contest, he doesn't want to risk further injury.

"I'll be a part of it though. I'll be there," Anthony said.

He paused, glancing at his hand.

"But I might change my mind," Anthony said, grinning.

"The game is really about putting on a good show for the fans and giving them something they haven't seen before," guard Steve Nash said.
"Content is king."
At its core, it still is preseason, and Suns coach Terry Porter said the game will be treated as such, especially as a third game in four nights for the Suns.
Starters' minutes will be limited, but Suns center Shaquille O'Neal finally, after 17 seasons, will play in an exhibition game that excites him.
He thought about this game recently while playing outside with his kids.
It's the first big outdoor game he has played since he and his best friend were military kids on a base in Germany pretending to be Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.
"We use to play best out of seven, we'd fistfight, and we became best friends," O'Neal said.

If AI and Melo are out, don't see how Denver puts it together to win. However, teh outdoor court aspect adds another dimension that may give the dge to either team. Likely not gonna be on it. I have this at Phoenix -5- obviously depending on AI/Melo status as well

Not a fan of Houston/ Boston game. Maybe Boston depending on Doc's decision on minutes. big 3 all played shit minutes today so b2b not too big of a factor. Houston may (though unlikely) try to show the defending champs that they're on the same level, but dunno. Also, Houston's 2-0 preseason has been ugly- 3 point win over memphis, just pullin away from SA bench. I'm guesing boston -3

Won't be on it, but detroit -what should be a shortish line looks nice. -6 or less im geussing, and Milwaukee has shown no ability to play this preseason yet. Detroit has been owning teams and don't see a reason it wont continue. However, this technically is kind of a h2h, and don't wanna bet detroit. Also, on a b2b, dont see detroits starters playing and wouldnt be surprised with a a few game time scratches. With their rotation pretty much set, wouldnt be surprised to see them playing their non-roation players before they get cut. acker/bynum/sharpe/Samb, etc.

ok well um my decent writeup for this GS game is gone cuz browser froze looking thru articles. blah basically, considering GS -anything under 7.5.

couple news:
Oklahoma City gave Kevin Durant, last year’s NBA’s rookie of the year, the night off. He is expected to play Saturday night when Oklahoma City travels to Golden State.

Also, looks like Nelson will be starting at point ! ? and azabuike is doubtful

OKC on a b2b, but no1 played more than 30 minutes with Durant getting a nice break. DUnno wassup with CJ watson and why he didnt play last game or why nelson is starting... ANyway thisll be only home preseason game for GS before we head off for china. Thinking Nelson plays starters a little more considering its at home to watch maggette and fan favorites. Also, dunno if it plays ANY significance, but this thunder team makes us lose our mascot.

man horrible. Luckily, had Tampa offset this loss. Couldn't resist action on the TNT game, so didnt deserve that win anyway. Also stayed off GS with injury news scaring me (Azubuike, Biedrins, Maggette out) despite being a great spoty for them. Phoenix game just another matter of their bench owning mine. Mad, cuz Phoenix bench stepped up twice agsint me this preseason, and faded when I ahd them. Its ok. Detroit game, upset I stayed off. Preseason showing us that simply the better team just owns. Road chalk has been doin work. As far as games 2m..

Those anxious to see more of Raptors' new big man Jermaine O'Neal should get their wish on Sunday.
"As games go on, he'll get more time," said coach Sam Mitchell, who spoke of playing O'Neal upwards of 28 to 29 minutes Sunday.
In both exhibition wins so far, Mitchell has played O'Neal less than 20 minutes, bringing along his conditioning very slowly.

In the third quarter, Young suffered a corneal abrasion to his left eye and did not return. . . . Lou Williams received three stitches for a lacerated chin and did not return. . . .

If both Young and Williams miss, dunno who comes off the bench for Philly. Also think JO can limit Brand. small lean to toronto

``It's important for us to play well, and play productively and improve,'' he said. ``This has nothing to do with last year. Last year, we were getting blown out of games in the preseason. But certainly we want to play well and try to get some wins.''
Carter looks like a game-time decision.

Liking Miami

In their first home preseason game, the Utah Jazz got outrebounded, struggled to hit shots and were described as looking downright "sluggish" by their coach.

If some Jazz players didn't consider this a meaningless preseason game, they could have fooled Jerry Sloan. "We looked like we didn't even care," Utah's sideline boss said following an uninspiring 96-89 loss to the Phoenix Suns at EnergySolutions Arena. "That's a huge concern to me."We looked like we didn't even care," Sloan said. "That's a huge concern to me. We didn't rebound the basketball, we didn't defend very well, we didn't shoot our free throws. Those are indications that you're really not into it."

Boozer missed Utah's first two preseason games with soreness in his strained left hamstring, including Thursday's loss to the Phoenix Suns. The Jazz are calling him "probable" for Sunday's game.

For Portland with Fernandez, Blake, Pryzbilla, Frye and Webster still out, their bench is very thin. Last game, randolph stepped up going 9-9 for 18 points, don't think he can continue that. Slight lean to Portland

Meanwhile, Derek Fisher sat out practice Friday because of a sore right knee, Jordan Farmar sat out because of a sore right foot and DJ Mbenga missed the second half of practice because of a sore right heel. Sasha Vujacic did not practice after an MRI exam confirmed a sprained left ankle. Their status for Sunday's game against Sacramento was unclear.
uninterested in SAc-LA

Utah- looks like Sloan is pretty mad at the effort Utah threw up against Phoenix saying no one showed the anything- saying it was pathetic. I'm expecting them to show a little more this game. Also, Boozer probable to play, so should deepen the bench more. Portland still with those key injuries, and so long as randolph doesnt go 9-9 again, Portlands bench is empty. A key imo will be PG play, as rookie Bayless and young sergio will be opposite of vets DWill, Knight, and Price.

And Miami, I was actually hoping for this game since they lost. Before the preseason, and sitll now, it shows thru quotes everywhere that Miami wants to win these preseason games. 2 OT losses hurts them, but helps us gamblers and imo theyll come out trying harder to get the W than NJ. Dont expect CDR to get 18. Also,

Miami Heat power forward Udonis Haslem was cleared for his first game action of the preseason after this morning's shootaround in London in advance of today's exhibition against the New Jersey Nets at O2 Arena

This really helps Miami's depth as he's their 4th best option and keeps some scrubs off the floor. Liking Miami to go near regular season determination to avoid having gone to europe just to lose two games

man. Houston doesn't convert on the 2 pt conversion at the end that wouldve won it for me in niffel. Wade misses cluth FTs at the end, making me feel disheartened and go to sleep instead of watching the lineups. SO Portland plays WITHOUT ROY OR ALDRIDGE, so starting lineup is: Sergio, LUKE JACKSON (who likely wont make the team), Outlaw, Randolph, and Oden. With notables on the bench: Pryzbilla, Bayless.. umm yea. Right now up 10 with the 4ths to come. hopefully hold on. Gonna be on SD for Niffel

Yes, riding Alanta hard this preseason, but they are a solid preseason team. A lot of upset quotes form players on their defensive intensity last game. Bibby couldnt play last game cuz he left to be with wife after baby being born. will see if he's in 2m. Its big because him in lets Acie come off the bench. As for Charlotte they still have not shown any ability to play basketball. Coach is trying to instill different mindset into the players and its just not really working. May and Morrison still trying to comeback to gameshape, but not there yet. First home game for Atlanta and expecting a blowout

"I didn't like anything about this game," Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. "We were too lethargic. We really have got to hold ourselves accountable night in and night out, come out and play with a lot of heart and come out to play to win. Tonight we just really seemed down and own."

FYI...

The Pacers are expected to be without Marquis Daniels, Troy Murphy (Achilles), Mike Dunleavy (knee) and Travis Diener (toe) for Monday's exhibition.

Pacers are playing 4 games in 6 six days starting tonight.

Haven't loved anything all weekend... so just playing stuff non-posted. Was out all of Sat afternoon/night, at the bars for NFL yesterday and missed most of the games.

I do alot of research at work (on the clock)... ha... and it's been a long weekend.

I'll start again tomorrow.

Bibby out... going to hurt... hopefully CHA fades...

Back