08/09 Preseason thread

With LeBron playing short minutes regularly have to be thinking about Cleveland as a target.

With LeBron playing short minutes regularly have to be thinking about Cleveland as a target.

Without a doubt... new offense (well, more uptempo) and getting Mo Williams involved.. this team can't beat anyone without Lebron at any level.

The farther into preseason, the more run Lebron will get. Also, next two preseason games will be against Boston, then SA. Lebron may be motivated to go against the teams that have ended his season last 2 yrs. Therefore, will definitely wait on reports. I was looking at opening night as a nice spot to take cleveland at Boston, but Bron may vent out his frustration on Friday or Tuesday. Lots of rest in b/w games so can see him playing

some tidbits from Portlsand broadcaster blogger:
"Sergio drives through the defense to the baseline, kicking out to LA from the top of the key, off. Outlaw with the nasty putback dunk. And WELCOME TO PORTLAND RUDY ... Sergio threads the needle and feeds a cutting Rudy Fernandez on the baseline for the alley oop yam-yam, bringing the packed Rose Garden crowd to its feet. The replay replays and replays

And if you weren't yet sure of Rudy's playmaking abilities, a between Shelden Williams' legs pass to a motioning LaMarcus Aldridge for the easy two sends the crowd, and bloggers row, into a tizzy. Chants of "Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!" echo as LA shoots two after a Przybilla capping of John Salmons. And ... And ... if that's not enough, Rudy treats us all to a beautiful one handed, right handed, bounce pass behind the defender to a cutting LaMarcus Aldridge in the lane. Another jaw-dropping play from the Spanish sensation.

This is why they invented replay ... Rudy gives to Sergio out top and immediately breaks full speed to the rim, lob pass from Sergio, up and under with the left-handed reverse layup. Incredible. The loudest ovation ever for Rudy checking out. This will be hard to top for Fernandez.

Sergio Rodriguez leaves the ball behind his head for a following Joel Przybilla, and the score.

The Blazers have held the Kings scoreless in the quarter up to the free throw at 6:19. Rudy does what Rudy does, a no-look bounce pass to a cutting Webster baseline for the yammy (and Chalupas) 100-65 Blazers. The Blazers have now scored 53 to the Kings 17 in the second half.

And Rudy does it again, a scoop pass to Webster, driving the lane and the near windmill finish.

Rudy Fernandez cannot do anything wrong. A fast break, with Rudy in control, lobs to a darting Webster for the emphatic alley-oop. Portland has a new fan favorite highlight reel. His name is Rudy Fernandez."

Roy is taking a different approach to recovery from knee surgery. He said he hopes to play as many as 24 minutes tonight against the Kings, but does not plan on playing Wednesday against the Warriors.
"Right now, it's (about taking) baby steps," Roy said. "I think I'm ready to go. I've been pushing it, I haven't held back on anything in practice, I've been going all practice and doing everything. I'm just excited to get out there and finally compete against some guys besides my teammates."
Steve Blake, who injured his left hamstring the second day of training camp, will not get that opportunity. Blake probably will miss another week, including three exhibition games.

Since the Blazers play again Wednesday night against Golden State at the Garden, McMillan said he will likely use just players under guaranteed contracts against Sacramento.
“I don’t think the free agents will play (Tuesday),” McMillan said. “The guys who don’t play, I’m going to try to get them into Wednesday’s game.

Looks like Roy misses this game 2m against GS. However, with the way Portland handled Sac in the 2nd H without its starters, I'm starting to think the youngins might be able to beat my warriors without Blake/Roy. GS always struggles against Portland as we cannot defend the 3, or a versatile PF. Nice spot though. GS defense should be much more difficult for Portland's guards to go through. Esp if Sergio/Bayless are running the point, the GS big play D may force a couple turnovers- fast breaks. It'd be nice with our last yr's 2 top thieves (baron/monta), but may be unnecessary, as it was their strategy, and less individual talent that recorded those steals last yr

ATL looking good. Hoping for 5.

"I don't have huge expectations," Suns guard Steve Nash said of tonight's game. "I want us to go out and use (Wednesday night) as a practice opportunity and try to run what we've worked on at both ends of the floor against new opposition.
"It's going to take time. It's going to take a long time. Not just preseason, but into the season. Hopefully we'll be good enough by the time the season starts that we can win some games and be in the playoff picture to buy us some time and form the unit and vision that Coach Porter wants us to be."
Porter said he would like to use at least 10 players Wednesday night. He will spend the first two to three games looking at various lineups before he begins to home in on a rotation.

No Amare, No Barbosa leaving a very thin backups

doesn't seem Philly cares too much for this win. Unfortunate, as I figure Boston to be flat, but will likely be off.

"No, no, no," Sixers coach Maurice Cheeks said about wanting to show the Celtics how much they have improved. "We're going to try to work on the things that we've been working on all training camp. I'm sure they're going to do the same thing. Come on, they won the championship so they don't have a whole lot to prove. We're not going out there to prove anything in our first preseason game."

"I don't think we can have a measuring stick in the first preseason game," Cheeks said. "We're not going to go down to the wire with two minutes to go and play our (main) guys. We'll throw different guys on the court and try different combinations."

I'm sure it's not going to be a measuring stick (tonight) to see how they would do against each other because I don't think they're going to play long enough to have that measuring stick," Cheeks said.

For C's:
He wouldn't put a number on exactly how long he'd leave Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, and Paul Pierce on the court against Philadelphia at the University of Massachusetts's Mullins Center, but the best way to keep count might be with a stopwatch.

"Put it like this," Rivers said. "Get there early would be my advice."

"We're not going to play our guys a lot of minutes early on, I can tell you that," he said. "It's a great opportunity, though, to get a look at some of our other guys."

got one in: Atlanta +4.5- 3 units

Was gonna wait for 5, but I don't see any reason why this line would move up

Some Knicks info... looking like TOR or no play? Not sure... but expect good effort.

TORONTO - The Knicks won't play their first preseason game until tonight, but Mike D'Antoni already has seen "bad habits" from his club and called its effort "spotty" yesterday.
On the eve of their preseason opener against the Raptors at Air Canada Centre, D'Antoni said he's unhappy with their intensity level in his first critical remarks as Knicks head coach.
"We got to get the effort right," D'Antoni said. "We got to get the effort on both ends right. Then we can start playing well. It's been pretty spotty up till now."
MORE: Knicks Blog
D'Antoni, who is known for being ultra positive, said he understands where questionable effort stems from - with records of 33-49, 23-59, 33-49 and 23-59 the past four seasons.
"You get in bad habits," D'Antoni said. "You play for two, three years when every play doesn't matter, every game doesn't matter, you get in those kind of habits. It plays tricks on your mind. You think you're playing hard but you really aren't.
"It's something that has to change, then we can work on becoming a good team. But we haven't had the effort; people understanding how hard it's going to be."
Oh yes, the Knicks have played their share of meaningless games. In fact, tonight's preseason opener is their most important tilt since Feb. 2 last season when they finished a West Coast trip 0-5 and effectively were out of the playoff race with 35 games left.
D'Antoni's mood didn't brighten when asked about Stephon Marbury's most recent remarks in yesterday's Post. Marbury stated emphatically he would be fine coming off the bench and will not be a distraction to D'Antoni or Chris Duhon. Marbury will likely come off the bench tonight with Duhon starting at point guard.
"Wow, for y'all, that's big news," D'Antoni said. "To me, that's how everybody should act. This is the New York Knicks. I would think New York Knicks is bigger than me or anybody. I'm really proud he did that, but it shouldn't be newsworthy. To do the right thing should never make the news."
That Marbury is willing to accept any role is, of course, news - and Duhon seemed elated.
"It means we're all getting together as a team," Duhon said. "For us to be good, our chemistry has to be great. It takes a lot for a guy who's been starting his whole career to say something like that."

Duhon and Jamal Crawford will start in the backcourt tonight, likely with Quentin Richardson, Zach Randolph and David Lee up front. Eddy Curry is not expected to play.
But D'Antoni isn't concerned with lineups, just better intensity.
"We don't have to play well, we have to play very intense and together," D'Antoni said. "If you make mistakes and the speed is faster, that's OK. That's something we can have patience on."

Asked if he was worried, D'Antoni said, "If I was a worrying type, I wouldn't have taken this job. We still got a lot of work to do."

Hey guys, mind if I join in on the awesome discussion going on?

What do you fellas think of New Orleans tonight? I'm hearing that Murphy, Dunleavy, Tinsley, Foster, and Diener are all supposed to be out for tonight...really taking out a bunch of experience for Indiana. Still, that -1.5 seems kind of low eh?

Pretty much agreeing with you guys on Atlanta, looks like a decent spot to try them.

Anyone have thoughts on Memphis? Hung tough with Houston last night and now tonight face a Washington squad that got even more banged up with Jamison's knee sprain last night.

I think that's why it's such a short line for the "home" team w/ Indy... cause of the injuries. Otherwise... I think the books overvalue home court way too much in these type of contest.

A former pre-season great (abcs) is leaning towards NOK & Philly. I'm looking into more when I get home...but right now I lean NOK, PHI, DET, MEM and ATL.

I got some info on Washington... from abcs... looks like they are depleted... but not a play just yet.

What do you fellas think of New Orleans tonight? I'm hearing that Murphy, Dunleavy, Tinsley, Foster, and Diener are all supposed to be out for tonight...really taking out a bunch of experience for Indiana. Still, that -1.5 seems kind of low eh?

Pretty much agreeing with you guys on Atlanta, looks like a decent spot to try them.

Anyone have thoughts on Memphis? Hung tough with Houston last night and now tonight face a Washington squad that got even more banged up with Jamison's knee sprain last night.

Looking to find some info on Phoenix before I plunge big w/ SF.

Looking to find some info on Phoenix before I plunge big w/ SF.

Sounds good, let me know what you find out about Phoenix bro. Hehe, I'll pretty much be online all day as I have my laptop with me at school. Hey, off the subject but...whatever happened to abcs? Haven't seen that poster in a long time now that I think of it.

Wow, we are pretty much leaning the same ways tonight...I'm leaning NOK, MEM, ATL, and DET as of now.

Good article about the Suns, no Stoud tonight and looks like the UNDER may be the best play if they release totals:

Suns to try out Porter’s philosophy Wednesday night

Comments 0 | Recommend 1 Jerry Brown, Tribune

Amaré Stoudemire hasn’t been on the floor for Terry Porter’s new offensive and defensive schemes. Leandro Barbosa has barely seen them.
Read Jerry Brown's blog, 'Rim Shots'
As for the rest of the Suns, one week isn’t enough to turn them into the San Antonio Spurs from a defensive perspective, but they will show the new points of emphasis tonight when they open the preseason against Atlanta at US Airways Center.
Ex-Sun Joe Johnson will see some familiar faces tonight — but the style of play his old team will unveil might be unrecognizable. The Suns are now a team that will lean on set plays and half-court execution.
“We’re working hard to be better defensively and we have a vision of what we want to accomplish,” Suns guard Steve Nash said. “On offense, we’re slowing everything down just so we can learn to play at this pace.”
Nash is relying on general manager Steve Kerr’s edict that the Suns will still do what they’ve done best and Porter’s offensive teachings are an add-on to help them paint with a broader brush.
“We need to have more structure and more options, but we’re obviously still a team that’s going to get out and run in transition. Hopefully, the truth will lie somewhere in the middle.”
Tonight’s game is the first of three in four days — a rare scheduling quirk for the preseason — and Porter said he will play 10-11 people tonight, which accounts for just about all the available bodies. Those who play more against the Hawks might play less Thursday, when the Suns are in Utah to play the Jazz.
Neither Barbosa, who remains in Brazil with his seriously ill mother with no set timetable for his return, nor Stoudemire will play for at least a week.
Stoudemire was sporting his first attempt at goggles as he rode the exercise bike and worked out on the side Tuesday. He had some difficulty with sweat buildup and fogging, but remains determined to wear them in practices and games.
He will take part in this morning’s shoot-around and extra work with coaches to begin the road back, stamina-wise, from ankle and eye injuries that have kept him on the sidelines most of the last three weeks.
“It’s definitely frustrating because I worked so hard in the offseason to be ready. I was working out four times a day at one point,” he said. “But having to sit out with the ankle first and then the eye puts me back to square one.”
Stoudemire said he’s on track to play in at least three or four preseason games, which is enough to prepare for the Oct. 29 regular-season opener at San Antonio. And he’s had no problem with his knees, which loomed as a big concern at this point last season.
Porter said he will use the first three games and the strange scheduling quirk (“What is this, January already?” he asked) to look at different combinations and units before settling into a rotation next week. The starters tonight are expected to be Nash and Raja Bell at guard, Grant Hill and Boris Diaw at forward and Shaquille O’Neal at center, with Matt Barnes, Goran Dragic and Robin Lopez the first subs off the bench.

metsrp86, very nice article find there buddy! If we can find how long Porter plans to let his starting 5 go, that would be huge for people looking to back Atlanta, because once we start dipping into Barnes, Dragic, and Lopez, I think Phoenix will definitely see a dropoff.

BM has ATL +5 now... probably as a result of that starting lineup being announced.

Under looks good there too.

Certainly not anything very known CBX.. NBA, Espn, all don't provide much pre-season info. Have to really dig around and find local newspaper results.

For Knicks info going forward...

nytimes.com
nypost.com

That's about all I know locally..

suntimes.com for Bulls.

Really have to look it up on a team by team basis...

When I get home in a couple hours I'll put together a list of local sites/papers that may have information in their sports section. Maybe if we all update the thread we can create a resource of links right here at CTG

Nice info on the knicks/raptors game there inspekdah, posted on your thread actually but looks like the discussion is here.

IMO Raptors are the strongest play tonight even though they're in the B2B spot I think they'll be just fine. The Knicks have a lot of work to do together till they are able to become a solid team, and I just can't see them being that team tonight. I see the Raptors by DD tonight something like 96-82

Hey guys sorry been out. The Atlanta play is basically beause outside the starting 5, Phoenix does not have a deep bench. Regardless of team, I don't think they'll let their best players (Nash, Shaq, Hill- all their oldest players) play extended minutes. Also, no Amare really hurts. Couple that in with Phoenix trying out new stuff today, should be ugly for Phoenix. Atlanta should be a great preseason team as they are one of the few teams that actually is trying to win these games

As far as info, I usually get the best/most up to date info by googling 'city team news' ie: "Charlotte Bobcats news" and their local newspaper is usually new the top of the page. Also, team forums/blogs are a great source if you bother reading thru them.

As far as New Orleans, I feel the value is out. I do expect them to win, however I think Indiana is one of the sleeper teams this yr. Agree that home court in some cases is overvalued right now, esp considering it is preseason. However, in some cases it may not be valued enough. Take for example tonight game, Portland against GS. If this was at GS, at around a pk, I'd be on GS easily. However, Portlands youngs gained a lot of momentum yesterday, and likely stirred up a lot of hype for their game. They already had a packed arena yesterday (crazy) and now the youngs (sergio/fernandez) can feed off the crowd, while the youngs for GS may not be used to the crowd going so hard against them. SO even with the preseason's smaller crowds, we get less experienced players and homecourt seems to affect them a lot

As for Memphis, they look like they'll be a decent preseason team as their best players are their new/young players and will get plenty of run throughout the games. I actually do like Memphis to win tonight, but the line priced me out. Expect wash to play their starters even less minutes tonight (I would if one of my best players just got injured in a preseason game) to prevent further injury. This team has been together for a while so not too much they need to practice in preseason but get thru it. However, I refuse to lay 6 points with possibly the worst team in the league already, although I can definitely see the case being made for
them.

fortunately, looks like Jamison injury not oo bad:
“It was painful, but once I got some ice on it it felt better and there’s no pain at all right now,” Jamison said. “It feels a lot better now. It gave out on me. I didn’t hear a pop so I knew there wasn’t anything torn. It felt like someone tapped it with a hammer. I’ll have an MRI (Wednesday) but it doesn’t feel that bad. … I’m surprised there’s no pain.

“I’ve been through some tough ones and I don’t think this is anything that will keep me out for too long. We’ll see how it feels after flying and waking up tomorrow. I’ll feel better after the MRI.”

There's a tendency for NBA veterans to coast through the pre-season, saving themselves for when the bright lights turn on and the real season begins.
Jermaine O'Neal is one veteran who doesn't plan to coast, nor can he afford to.
O'Neal is keen to get on the court and set the tone for the season.
"I just want to see this thing unfold, it's not about anything in the past, it's about moving forward," O'Neal said after Monday's practice at the Air Canada Centre, the first back in Toronto after the team's week-long training camp in Ottawa. "I've missed quite a few games in the last couple of years so it's not about needing rest or kind of easing into it, it's about competing at a high level.
"You practise and you play to win, it gets contagious. We don't want to get lazy and approach the pre-season with a half-hearted effort. We want to approach it like a regular-season game."
Bosh agrees with O'Neal that there's no room for coasting in the exhibition season.
"It's important, I just want to make sure I'm on top of my game and healthy, I want to make sure that our team is playing the best basketball that we can play,"

I'm staying off this toronto game. Should be interesting to see how much/ if any/ d'antoni can improve the NY squad

eh staying off charlotte. I cannot get info on whether on not Meka's starting. This should be a big game for May and Morrison- first returns back to action. dammit looks like meka is in and I missed the line at BM... no big deal

SF, sounds good buddy. Right now I've got New Orleans and Detroit, and will be adding Atlanta later. Let's keep building up that bankroll buddy.

SF Thanks for the great info. got Atl +3 1/2 Also leaning on Warriors +7 I'm going to see how it plays out.

+3? I'll join you. 3-1 tonight after Knicks don't foul with 15 seconds left down 5... Randolph hits a 50 footer at the buzzer... to make it look closer than the final score.

Let me tell you though, these Knicks will be a PLAY... team is too deep with slightly above average talent... all these guys have got burn over the past few seasons... they were running Nate, Steph, Crawford, Duhon a ton. Lee as well... they'll win their next game SU

Early game injury notables..

Nets - Dooling (ankle) practiced for the first time wed but status is still uncertain. Hayes (hammy) is out.

Heat - practiced again without Udonis Haslem (foot), Chris Quinn (ankle), Dorell Wright (knee) and James Jones (wrist) -- and will be further short-handed Thursday with Shaun Livingston not ready to test his surgically repaired knee in a game.

Really interested in seeing what this line is gonna open at.. initially thought the Heat would be laying a short number, but i'm kinda in the dark on this one with the injuries and what kinda combos Lil Frank's gonna throw out there with all that young talent.

With Quinn being out, looks like Chalmers and Banks are gonna help share the load at point. Not trying to hijack your thread SF, just giving a helping hand to kick things off. GL with whatever you play.

Dooling practices in Paris

October 8, 2008

Julian Garcia

Just got off the phone with Lawrence Frank, who put his team through a full contact practice earlier today in Paris. The Nets play the Heat tomorrow in an exhibition game there.
Frank said Keyon Dooling did everything the rest of the players did. Dooling had been suffering from a sprained left ankle and hadn't taken part in any contact practices since camp opened. However, Frank wouldn't commit to whether Dooling - the backup point guard - would play tomorrow.
Frank also wouldn't reveal what his starting lineup would be. He said he has an idea but did not want to share it because he hadn't notified the team yet. Bet on Vince Carter and Devin Harris starting. Now that's analysis!
Jarvis Hayes won't play. He's still bothered by a strained hamstring he suffered last week. Hayes, a free agent signing, has started practicing several times since hurting himself, only to shut it down after experiencing tightness.
"He's able to get it going a little bit but once we pick up the pace a little bit I think he feels it tightens up on him," Frank said.
I asked Frank if tomorrow's game carries any more significance than a normal preseason opener because of the fact that the Nets have been almost completely rebuilt - only three players returned from last season's training camp - and because there are three rookies on the team.
He said the fact that so many players are "competing for (playing) time" means that these games are important. He also suggested that since the Nets have spent so much time playing against each other, starting with voluntary workouts over the summer, they're eager to beat up on some different colored uniforms.
"It's been very, very competitive," said the coach. "So I think guys are anxious to see how we do against outside competition. I think there's importance because there are a lot of things that we have to find out and it will be an evolving process throughout. There are a lot of things we have to find out during this preseason."
Such as? Here's what he said:
• Trying to establish a rotation, and whether that can be done in the preseason or not.
• Figuring out which players work best together.
• Sorting out how versatile their lineups can be.
"We've got a lot of things to try to figure out," Frank said. "It's not going to happen all in the preseason but you just want to go into that first game with a pretty good feel of what's going to go on. And during this whole time, you're defining roles and seeing how all the pieces fit."
That first game Frank was referring to happens on Oct.29 in Washington.
As for the three rookies who will be making their unofficial NBA debuts - Brook Lopez, Ryan Anderson and Chris Douglas-Roberts - Frank tried to downplay the importance of the first preseason game, saying evaluations take place over a period of time, not just one night.
"It's going to be a process," he said. "Because you play a guaranteed 89 games - seven preseason, 82 regular - I don't think you make blanket evaluations in one game. It's another step in the process."
As for what the Nets are doing off the court, they took part in an NBA Cares event with some Special Olympics kids. The Heat took part in that too. Frank said he and a bunch of other guys were going to visit the Louvre last night. Yes, guys, I did have to Google that.

Back