08/09 Preseason thread

SF - Miami closed at 4.5... but was actually opened at 3.5 or 4.. you have ML's out there offered by a ton of books... and an underdog streak of covering. Those two things combined leave smaller than normal lines on some favorites.

What did you play Orlando at?

Debating on Detroit... they just start so freaking slow everygame and have a game tomorrow vs. Atlanta.

played orlando at -6. Post 324 shows the articles in that Flip plans to treat todays game as the reg season and rest his players 2m. Odd, but maybe not considering they're playin rival Lebrons. Also, I could've sworn Miami opened -5, but not 100% sure, so maybe you're right.

SWEET. I forgot to confirm my bet at BM and luckily I was on BM and it said I had 0 at risk. Portland went down, so actually am getting -5

Winning against the Pistons tonight got a little bit tougher when Hawks captain and All-Star Joe Johnson was left home for the trip, so he could rest his sore groin.
But the Hawks will have Williams back — he’s missed the past 13 quarters of preseason action with a sprained ligament in the thumb on his non-shooting hand.
Both Williams and reserve guard Mo Evans are expected to be available against the Pistons. Evans sat out Monday’s loss to Orlando at Philips Arena after needing stitches in his lip to close a gash suffered in a win in Charlotte last Saturday.
“We’re at the point now where [the Oct. 29 regular season opener in] Orlando is right around the corner so we need everybody back healthy and ready to go,” second-year Hawks center Al Horford said. “Just going by the way things went last year, for me at least, now is the time you want to really be getting into form. You really want to be in a good rhythm as a group.
“Everybody needs to be on the same page and gearing up for the regular season, because a slow start puts you behind the curve. And that’s not where we want to be, not with the schedule we have to start the season.”

Kobe Bryant didn't show it when he signaled to the bench, but he was scared.

"I saw the ring flash before my eyes," he said, referring to the Lakers' championship aspirationsBryant wasn't sure what the crackling sound was in his right knee after he banged it into the knee of teammate Josh Powell while chasing a rebound in Tuesday's exhibition against Charlotte.

He feared the worst.

"My knee just went back and I felt a little crunch, a little pop," Bryant said. "I was worried. That's the scariest part, is just sitting there for five or 10 minutes and waiting to see what's going to develop."

Bryant, after walking off on his own power to a locker room at the San Diego Sports Arena, was told he had a hyperextended right knee.

Make that only a hyperextended right knee.

In fact, he might play tonight in an exhibition rematch against Charlotte in Anaheim.

"If I'm good enough to go, I'm going to go. I don't see why not," he said.

Bryant said he "should be fine" for the season opener Tuesday against Portland.

The injury was not considered serious enough to schedule a visit with a doctor Wednesday after Bryant woke up without severe pain.

Bryant reported some soreness, but he can put weight on the knee and crouch down low with it.

He did not practice Wednesday and had ice wrapped around his knee at the team's training facility as he recounted the tension he felt the previous night.

He seemed relieved and was in a better mood than after Tuesday's game, when he walked past reporters and muttered brief answers to two questions before ducking into a sport utility vehicle.

On Wednesday, he joked around when talking about Powell, a power forward who signed with the Lakers over the summer after spending last season with the Clippers.

Powell received text messages and phone calls from friends and family about being the cause of the injury, Bryant said.

"It's all his fault," Bryant said, smiling. "I think we were mutually relieved."

Bryant, who won his first most-valuable-player award last season, had been experiencing a quiet preseason until a 28-point outburst Saturday in an exhibition against FC Barcelona.

Bryant's availability for tonight's game will probably be determined this morning.

"We always like [players] to go out and play," Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said. "That's what they do. It gives our group a chance to function together out there on the floor. But if there's any kind of issue with it, I don't want him to play."

Miami got their preseason win and even wade said he hopes to not have to play 30+ in preseason. Coach says he'll play reg rotation in one of the 2 last preseasoners and "experiment" the other. didnt say which. New Orleans goin for undefeated and final preseaoner. Miami got game 2m

Chatlotte fighting to get at least a win in preseason. I doubt Kobe plays as 1) its preseason 2) he got a game 2m

As for phoenix. I think everyone plays and plays a lot- last preseasoner. nash wants to play

OKC- A LOT injured. game 2m

AUBURN HILLS -- Pistons coach Michael Curry will treat Wednesday's exhibition game against Cleveland like a regular-season game.
Expect the starters to play regular season-type minutes against the Cavaliers at The Palace at 7:30 p.m., but not as much the next night. Atlanta visits The Palace on Thursday, also at 7:30.
Thursday is the Pistons' last exhibition game
We tried to do that against Dallas the last game and give our (starters) a chance to be on the court in the fourth quarter," said Curry, adding he wants to see his starters "get more into the minutes they'll playing in the regular season."
The Pistons' starters are Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, Rasheed Wallace, Tayshaun Prince and Amir Johnson. Those players, along with Antonio McDyess, will rest most of the second half against the Hawks.
The Pistons open the regular season Oct. 29 against Indiana.
Billups, who is nursing an ankle injury, practiced Tuesday.

Going to say that Billups won't go on a B2B and will get the night off. Stuckey/Johnson should get regular pre-season burn and then a mix of Will Bynum and company.

Miami got their preseason win and even wade said he hopes to not have to play 30+ in preseason. Coach says he'll play reg rotation in one of the 2 last preseasoners and "experiment" the other. didnt say which. New Orleans goin for undefeated and final preseaoner. Miami got game 2m

Chatlotte fighting to get at least a win in preseason. I doubt Kobe plays as 1) its preseason 2) he got a game 2m

Advice: "I'm all right, a little bit better today, a better mood, anyway," the reigning MVP said after sitting out practice due to the hyperextended right knee he suffered Tuesday night in the second quarter of the Lakers' 102-98 preseason victory over Charlotte. The 30-year-old Bryant, examined Wednesday by trainer Gary Vitti, won't see a doctor or have an MRI. He said he hopes to play Thursday night when the Lakers face the Bobcats again, this time in Anaheim.

Advice: "I'm all right, a little bit better today, a better mood, anyway," the reigning MVP said after sitting out practice due to the hyperextended right knee he suffered Tuesday night in the second quarter of the Lakers' 102-98 preseason victory over Charlotte. The 30-year-old Bryant, examined Wednesday by trainer Gary Vitti, won't see a doctor or have an MRI. He said he hopes to play Thursday night when the Lakers face the Bobcats again, this time in Anaheim.

thanks. I may buy 1 unit back as the line will let me catch a small middle, but I still dont think Kobe goes. If he starts maybe 15 minutes max. again despite what people say, I like to cap with what makes sense. For example, just because a player says a game is 'just another game' say playing an ex-team or a big revenge game, doesn't make it true and you know there was motivation. Similiar here as I can't imagine Kobe to say,' well its preseason against the damn cats. I think i'll rest up, as theres still another game 2m and I'm not too sure playing on b2b nights on a knee I havnt fully tested since injury is too smart.' leaving him to say when reporters ask if he'll play, "I cant see why not. we'll see by gametime, if the doctors let me, and Im feelin good, I'll play"

Nuggets coach George Karl liked what he saw from Allen Iverson in practice Thursday, describing the All-Star guard as "quick, fast . . . energized."
He is unlikely to see those things again Friday night in Denver's preseason finale against the Los Angeles Clippers.
Iverson, recovering from a sprained right ankle, said he probably won't play because he does not want to risk a setback in advance of Wednesday's regular-season opener at Utah.
"That's the only thing I'm concerned about - that initial game," Iverson said. "I've been in the league 13 years now, so a preseason (game) is just a preseason game."
Iverson, who sprained the ankle Oct. 17, has played in only two games this preseason, averaging 4.5 points and 6.5 assists. He said the ankle feels great and he also has no lingering pain in his left knee, which he bruised more than two weeks ago.
"The one thing I'm going to do is be smart about the situation," he said. "Last year, I was able to play every game. That's something that I want to be able to do now. I just don't want to take no chances and not be able to try to fulfill that goal."
Surviving the cut
The Nuggets cut five players Thursday, leaving veteran forward Juwan Howard as the only player without a guaranteed contract to make the roster.
"Honestly, I was not stressing or worrying about the situation whatsoever," said Howard, who is entering his 15th NBA season. "I just had a confidence in myself and my ability to come out here and compete every night."
Cut were guards Smush Parker and Mateen Cleaves and forwards Nick Fazekas, a Ralston Valley High School graduate, Ruben Patterson and James Mays.
"I'd probably bet that most of those guys will play in the NBA someday soon," Karl said. "Those guys worked hard for us and they helped put us in a good place, and I thank them for that

San Antonio -6.5- 3 units

may buy back a unit when rosters are official, but I think 1) the lines short 2) wade will sit 3) duncan/parker play.

did lean NY but i think nj wants this a bit more- and fading them game after game, gotta think the lines adjust. will see tho, lean NY altho I missed -3.5

The only other thing I may play is denver. Want to se elineups, last game a lot of denvers bench sat- kleiza, balkman, Martin, AI, Anthony Carter. 5 rotation players missing for them- 3 starters. gotta see who plays

Wade def. out? Don't really like tonight's card. A bit upset with myself that I couldn't get to a computer in time to hit Houston/Phoenix last night.... would have been for 2-3 units a peice.

Back