mogo

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn II

Date: Jan 31, 2009
Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
Broadcast: Pay Per View

MAIN CARD

• Welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre vs. lightweight champ B.J. Penn (for welterweight title)
  • Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva
  • Jon Fitch vs. Akihiro Gono
  • Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim
  • Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones
PRELIMINARY CARD

• Manny Gamburyan vs. Thiago Tavares
  • Jake O'Brien vs. Christian Wellisch
  • Matt Arroyo vs. Dan Cramer
  • John Howard vs. Chris Wilson

early odds right now from 5 Dimes....

St. Pierre -245
Penn +175

Silva +245
Machida -335

"UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn II" officially announced

The Ultimate Fighting Championship today officially announced its Jan. 31 "UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn II" event, which takes place Jan. 31 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The main event features a UFC welterweight championship fight between current title-holder Georges St. Pierre and UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn.

The fight, which airs live on pay per view, is a rematch of their March 2006 bout in which St. Pierre earned a split-decision win.

With a victory in the rematch, Penn could become the first fighter in UFC history to simultaneously hold belts in two different weight classes.

"This may be the most anticipated rematch in UFC history," UFC President Dana White stated in today's press release. "Their first fight was an epic battle of two of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the sport. After that fight, St. Pierre would go on to win the UFC world welterweight title, and Penn would go on to win the UFC world lightweight title."

UFC announces "UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn" is sold out

The upcoming UFC event headlined by a mega-fight between UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn has sold out.

"UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn" takes place Jan. 31 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. More than 14,000 attendees are expected for the pay-per-view event.

The event puts St. Pierre's welterweight title on the line, and Penn could become the first-ever fighter to hold two UFC title simultaneously with a victory.

(Although the UFC today announced the event is sold out, as of Wednesday morning, some single tickets are available in a variety of seating sections. However, you'll be hard pressed to find a pair of tickets for adjacent seats in any sections.)

In addition to St. Pierre vs. Penn, the SuperBowl-weekend card also features televised bouts of Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva, Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones, Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim and Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida.

To hype a main event UFC President Dana White has called "epic," Spike TV will roll out "UFC Primetime: St. Pierre vs. Penn," a three-part preview series that cost nearly $2 million to produce. Beginning tonight, the series airs each Wednesday night at 10 p.m. EST/PST on Spike TV. (See a sneak peak of the series.)

can't wait for that one...watched that Spike thingy last night. Not bad. Penn is doing a lot of talking, seemingly trying to get into GSP's head...

yeah im looking forward to this too.... looks like a solid, exciting card....

B.J. Penn: I'm going to try to kill you, but it's nothing personal

With the debut of "UFC Primetime" on Spike TV just hours away, chances are you've seen the clip.

Set in a montage of training videos and backed by a rhythmic baseline, a focused B.J. Penn (13-4-1 MMA, 10-3-1 UFC) tells his upcoming UFC 94 opponent, Georges St. Pierre (17-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC) that, "I'm going to try and kill you, Georges, and I'm not joking about that."

Penn today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he stands behind his claims -- but that it's nothing personal.

"In that clip they asked me what am I going to be thinking while I'm standing on the other side of the ring from him," Penn explained. "And if you're not thinking that in your head, then what are you doing in that ring? If you're not thinking that you're going to go across and you're going to kill this guy -- and you're going to annihilate this guy -- what are you doing there?"

The three-part series was produced in anticipation of the Jan. 31 mega-fight between UFC lightweight champion Penn and UFC welterweight champion St. Pierre. The pay-per-view event from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas has already been announced as a sell-out, but the hype surrounding the event, in which St. Pierre's 170-pound title will be on the line, will certainly reach a fever pitch in the coming weeks.

In the preview of "UFC Primetime," currently airing in heavy rotation on Spike TV, Penn goes on to explain what will be running through his mind in the moments before the two champions throw their opening salvos.

"We're going to go to the death" Penn says in the clip. "I'm not going to stop."

Penn said that despite the strong emotions, the mindset does not indicate anything personal against St. Pierre.

"This is not personal at all," Penn said. "I just want to be the best fighter. That's very personal to me."

Cameras for the Spike TV-broadcast series, which UFC President Dana White has said is, "the best television show we've ever done," have followed Penn throughout his preparation for the UFC 94 main-event bout with St. Pierre. The 30-year-old insists they did not hinder his training -- and may have actually encouraged him to push harder in his sessions.

"I'm used to the cameras a lot," Penn said. "But the cameras, honestly, they just make you train harder. They make you do stuff that you probably wouldn't do normally."

Penn is by now used to a myriad of cameras following his every move. The Hawaiian native has further documented every step of his journey through "The B.J. Penn Show," available for viewing on his official website, BJPenn.com.

"BJPenn.com, the website, is just a fun website to come and get in touch with other mixed martial arts fans and see what I'm up to," Penn said. "We've got 'The B.J. Penn Show' on there, and that's just a fun show. There's a lot of different mixed martial arts shows out there with fighting and all these different things. But here's a mixed martial arts show where we try to show off the local talent in MMA or any type of local talent we have. And I guess it's just a mixed martial arts show with a Hawaiian twist."

Penn said anything you might miss while watching "UFC Primetime" can be found on "The B.J. Penn Show."

"It's the home of MMA," Penn, an accomplished self-promoter, said of his website. "And if you want to know what's going on with B.J. Penn or what's going on in Hawaii, go to BJPenn.com."

Spike TV's most successful UFC-related program has been the reality based series "The Ultimate Fighter." While the network is currently in preparations to begin filming its ninth season, former cast members of the show have claimed creative video editing sometimes leads to inaccurate depictions of their behaviors.

Penn said he doesn't know exactly what to expect from "UFC Primetime" but that you can immediately rule out one possible scenario.

"I know if you see something like me slacking, that ain't true," Penn said. "I'm training so hard for this fight. I'm going to be the champion. If you see some [expletive] like me slacking on the show, don't believe the hype."

BJ Penn is the superior fighter. He won the first fight and got robbed of a decision and I wouldnt be surprised if it happened again. He was clearly out of shape in the first fight and still dominated the standup. GSP could not take him down until BJ gassed due to Penns great flexibility and sprawl. BJ is definitely a natural lightweight and putting on the extra pounds for this fights might hurt him if it goes past the 3rd RD. It BJ or no play for me, gonna wait for the weigh'ins.

Machida should not be -335 vs Silva even on Tiago's worst day. Machida has the superior standup but I think this may go to the judges and it that case i would rather be holding the +245 ticket.

BJ Penn is the superior fighter. He won the first fight and got robbed of a decision and I wouldnt be surprised if it happened again. He was clearly out of shape in the first fight and still dominated the standup. GSP could not take him down until BJ gassed due to Penns great flexibility and sprawl. BJ is definitely a natural lightweight and putting on the extra pounds for this fights might hurt him if it goes past the 3rd RD. It BJ or no play for me, gonna wait for the weigh'ins.

Machida should not be -335 vs Silva even on Tiago's worst day. Machida has the superior standup but I think this may go to the judges and it that case i would rather be holding the +245 ticket.

this is how i feel about the main event too.... i'll be playing BJ or staying away....

gotta start looking at the rest of the card in detail this week....

so far what i have played is gsp -150 and -155 2.5u each and bonnar -155 2.5u still thinking about bonnar might buy some on jon jones not sure yet will be waiting for lines to come out tuesday

I am thinking we will see a price of +300 on PENN to win inside distance-----

I think this is the best play on PENN- you get +300 for him to win inside 5 rounds, I dont see him winning a decision although I guess its possible, but GSP can win a decision because he is a fighter that wrestles and wins points with his weak striking-

If PENN wins which I think he can he will likely stop GSP--

My take is that in this match you have to look at who can take a punch, I dont think GSP can, kind of like Forrest, Arlovski, the fighters who cant take a punch are losing in UFC now-

I think should hit him and when he does if GSP staggers for a second PENN will pounce on him and finish him-

GSP cant finish, other tahn HUGHES< he could not finish FITCH off at all.

is Fitch a good bet? I was impressed by his ability vs GSP, he can take a beating, so he should be able to kick the shit out of this gono guy?

I am thinking we will see a price of +300 on PENN to win inside distance-----

I think this is the best play on PENN- you get +300 for him to win inside 5 rounds, I dont see him winning a decision although I guess its possible, but GSP can win a decision because he is a fighter that wrestles and wins points with his weak striking-

If PENN wins which I think he can he will likely stop GSP--

My take is that in this match you have to look at who can take a punch, I dont think GSP can, kind of like Forrest, Arlovski, the fighters who cant take a punch are losing in UFC now-

I think should hit him and when he does if GSP staggers for a second PENN will pounce on him and finish him-

GSP cant finish, other tahn HUGHES< he could not finish FITCH off at all.
I agree with this except for the fact that Forrest can't take a punch. Forrest has proven he can take a punch throughout his career. He got caught once. I think it's crazy to label him as a fighter with a weak chin.

Penn by KO in 2nd

you guys are picking penn based off the fact that gsp can't take a punch? gsp took 8 punches from serra before he was mounted and got his face punched in.

when you look at this fight, you're either betting on pure talent or a well oiled machine. it will be more complex than who can eat a punch; but if that's how you cap then might as well roll with it.

if you think bj's gonna win in under 5 rounds, might as well bet that he'll win in the first round b/c outside of the first round, gsp will dominate. at lw, no one's even pushed the action with penn yet- i think he's better but i'm betting that he's going to gas with the gsp's pace.

<table width="95%" bordercolor="#cccccc" cellpadding="1"><tbody><tr><td width="22%" bgcolor="#000000">
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UFC 94 Odds[/FONT]​
</td> <td width="16%" bgcolor="#000000">
5dimes64x24.png
BetOnFightingButton.png
</td> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#000000">
BetUsButton.png
</td> <td width="15%" bgcolor="#000000">
<!-- Affiliate Code Do NOT Modify-->
impressions.asp
<!-- End affiliate Code-->​
BodogButton.png
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#000000">
</td> <td bgcolor="#000000">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#000000">G St Pierre</td> <td bgcolor="#000000">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#000000">BJ Penn</td> <td bgcolor="#000000">
+155
+150
+160
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#000000">Thiago Silva</td> <td bgcolor="#000000">
+260
+240
+250
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#000000">Lyoto Machida</td> <td bgcolor="#000000">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#000000">Stephan Bonnar</td> <td bgcolor="#000000">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#000000">Jon Jones</td> <td bgcolor="#000000">
+120
+130
+160
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="6" bgcolor="#000000">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

you guys are picking penn based off the fact that gsp can't take a punch? gsp took 8 punches from serra before he was mounted and got his face punched in.

when you look at this fight, you're either betting on pure talent or a well oiled machine. it will be more complex than who can eat a punch; but if that's how you cap then might as well roll with it.

if you think bj's gonna win in under 5 rounds, might as well bet that he'll win in the first round b/c outside of the first round, gsp will dominate. at lw, no one's even pushed the action with penn yet- i think he's better but i'm betting that he's going to gas with the gsp's pace.

don't confuse sammy's rationale with how everybody else is looking at this fight...

i dunno man if it went to decision id much rather be holding a machida ticket

how do you think it's gonna play out?

i like BJ b/c i think he is really focused and ready for this one against GSP... in the past BJ didn't take much too seriously and it cost him... he's training like never before and with his ability i think he'll do fine if this fight goes deep... i honestly dont think it will go deep, and see BJ winning via TKO in the 3rd rd.

it's not that i dont think GSP has a chin, but i think BJ can beat him standing up and feel that's where this fight will be ended... BJ has a much more powerful punch than GSP, BJ has a better chin than GSP, and BJ has better takedown defense than GSP - all reasons i give the stand up advantage to BJ...

if this does get to the ground i think BJ will be able to hold GSP from doing any real damage, and will defend himself from GSP's relentless attacks... GSP may work hard on the ground, but similiar to the first fight i don't think he'll do much with his takedowns or his top position....

<table class="data_table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="data_title"><td colspan="7">Georges St-Pierre Vs. BJ Penn </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td width="15"> </td> <td valign="top" width="150"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Georges St-Pierre</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>5' 10" (178 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>170 (77 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record:</td> <td>17-2-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185">

"Rush"
</td> <td width="95">
events_vs.gif

</td> <td valign="top" width="150" align="right"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>BJ Penn </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>5' 9" (175 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>170 (77 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record: </td> <td>13-4-1</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185" align="right">

"The Prodigy"
</td> <td width="15"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="7" bgcolor="silver">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

<table class="data_table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_title"> <td colspan="7"> Lyoto Machida Vs. Thiago Silva </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td width="15"> </td> <td valign="top" width="150"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Lyoto Machida</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>6' 1" (185 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>205 (93 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record:</td> <td>13-0-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185">

"The Dragon"
</td> <td width="95">
events_vs.gif

</td> <td valign="top" width="150" align="right"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Thiago Silva </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>6' 1" (185 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>205 (93 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record: </td> <td>13-0-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185" align="right">

<table class="data_table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_title"> <td colspan="7"> Stephan Bonnar Vs. Jon Jones </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td width="15"> </td> <td valign="top" width="150"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Stephan Bonnar</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>6' 4" (193 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>205 (93 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record:</td> <td>14-4-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185">

"American Psycho"
</td> <td width="95">
events_vs.gif

</td> <td valign="top" width="150" align="right"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Jon Jones </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>6' 4" (193 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>205 (93 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record: </td> <td>7-0-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185" align="right">

"Bones"

<table class="data_table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_title"> <td colspan="7"> Karo Parisyan Vs. Dong Hyun Kim </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td width="15"> </td> <td valign="top" width="150"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Karo Parisyan</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>5' 10" (178 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>170 (77 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record:</td> <td>26-5-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185">

"The Heat"
</td> <td width="95">
events_vs.gif

</td> <td valign="top" width="150" align="right"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Dong Hyun Kim </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>6' 1" (185 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>170 (77 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record: </td> <td>11-0-1</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185" align="right">

"Stun Gun"

<table class="data_table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_title"> <td colspan="7"> Nate Diaz Vs. Clay Guida </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td width="15"> </td> <td valign="top" width="150"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Nate Diaz</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>6' 0" (183 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>155 (70 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record:</td> <td>10-2-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185">

</td> <td width="95">
events_vs.gif

</td> <td valign="top" width="150" align="right"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Clay Guida </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>5' 7" (170 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>155 (70 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record: </td> <td>24-6-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185" align="right">

"The Carpenter"

<table class="data_table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_title"> <td colspan="7"> Jon Fitch Vs. Akihiro Gono </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td width="15"> </td> <td valign="top" width="150"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Jon Fitch</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>6' 0" (183 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>170 (77 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record:</td> <td>21-3-1</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185">

</td> <td width="95">
events_vs.gif

</td> <td valign="top" width="150" align="right"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Akihiro Gono </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>5' 9" (175 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>170 (77 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record: </td> <td>28-13-7</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185" align="right">

"The Japanese Sensation"
</td> <td width="15"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="7" bgcolor="silver"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

<table class="data_table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_title"> <td colspan="7"> Manny Gamburyan Vs. Thiago Tavares </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td width="15"> </td> <td valign="top" width="150"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Manny Gamburyan</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>5' 5" (165 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>155 (70 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record:</td> <td>10-4-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185">

"The Anvil"
</td> <td width="95">
events_vs.gif

</td> <td valign="top" width="150" align="right"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Thiago Tavares </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>5' 7" (170 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>155 (70 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record: </td> <td>17-3-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185" align="right">

</td> <td width="15"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="7" bgcolor="silver"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

<table class="data_table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_title"> <td colspan="7"> Chris Wilson Vs. John Howard </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td width="15"> </td> <td valign="top" width="150"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Chris Wilson</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>6' 1" (185 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>170 (77 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record:</td> <td>13-4-1</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185">

"The Professor"
</td> <td width="95">
events_vs.gif

</td> <td valign="top" width="150" align="right"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>John Howard </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>5' 7" (170 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>170 (77 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record: </td> <td>10-4-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185" align="right">

"Doomsday"

<table class="data_table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_title"> <td colspan="7"> Jake O'Brien Vs. Christian Wellisch </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td width="15"> </td> <td valign="top" width="150"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Jake O'Brien</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>6' 3" (191 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>205 (93 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record:</td> <td>10-2-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185">

"Irish"
</td> <td width="95">
events_vs.gif

</td> <td valign="top" width="150" align="right"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Christian Wellisch </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>6' 3" (191 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>205 (93 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record: </td> <td>9-3-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185" align="right">

"The Hungarian Nightmare"

<table class="data_table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="data_title"> <td colspan="7"> Matt Arroyo Vs. Dan Cramer </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td width="15"> </td> <td valign="top" width="150"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Matt Arroyo</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>6' 0" (183 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>170 (77 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record:</td> <td>3-2-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185">

"No Regard"
</td> <td width="95">
events_vs.gif

</td> <td valign="top" width="150" align="right"> <table class="data_table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Name:</td> <td>Dan Cramer </td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Height:</td> <td>6' 2" (188 cm)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Weight:</td> <td>170 (77 kg)</td> </tr> <tr class="data_row"> <td style="font-weight: bold;">Record: </td> <td>0-0-0</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top" width="185" align="right">

</td> <td width="15"> </td></tr></tbody></table>

BJ will dictate where he wants to take this fight. He will win the standup up early n Gsp will be forced to go for the takedown again. BJ will drop elbows n knees while sprawling to make Gsp pay for his td attempts. He'll make Gsp look like Tito, a one dimensional wrestler who is scared to trade.

If BJ shows up outta shape then this will play out like sherk vs Franca with Gsp winning the decision.

bj has looked good, great even in the past couple of matches. but that was at lw fighting good people- but come on this is gsp, not stevenson, jens, or sherk.

gsp is a huge welterweight and is on a tear. i dont think that bj is gonna come in and put on a good 20# of solid muscle. if there is a prop bet for whether or not bj will have abs, please let me know b/c i'll make it a 5u bet. not to be facetious but there's no way that bj is going to come in "in shape" at ww and with the tools that gsp brings, it's gonna be a rough night for the prodigy.

best of luck on your bets :]

man I have no clue how you guys know all about these fighters, tip my hat to you all, will look forward to this

the same way some people seem to know every college kid on a CFB or CBB team (which personally i find amazing)....

reading, listening, watching, and researching.... :shake:

bj has looked good, great even in the past couple of matches. but that was at lw fighting good people- but come on this is gsp, not stevenson, jens, or sherk.

gsp is a huge welterweight and is on a tear. i dont think that bj is gonna come in and put on a good 20# of solid muscle. if there is a prop bet for whether or not bj will have abs, please let me know b/c i'll make it a 5u bet. not to be facetious but there's no way that bj is going to come in "in shape" at ww and with the tools that gsp brings, it's gonna be a rough night for the prodigy.

What tools does GSP bring to the table?

BJ has the better striking, takedown defense, ground defense, and submission skills. Prefight, GSP's only advantage is wrestling. BJ's conditioning is a toss up and will only be a factor if it goes past the 3rd. I don't think a fighter should be rewarded for takedowns with no GnP or sub attempts to follow them up. Unless it's rampage, takedowns don't inflict much damage and are overrated in the eyes of the judges. GSP has won too many times in that fashion and pretty much...."I am not impressed with his per-form-ance!"

U have to try to finish fights n BJ will be the fighter looking to end this early while GSP will be waiting n trying to outlast him

KUSH- I agree GSP doesent really do any damage to any of the guys he beats except for Hughes he kicked him good, Serrra stopped due to knee strikes and Fitch he beat the shit out of.

GSP is made to win with the judges, he doesent really beat anyone that good I agree.

He does takedowns and just holds the guy on the ground and doesent really ever hurt anyone badly.

EVen Fitch it was a joke that he could not finish.

GSP is much bigger than Penn-- there is a lot of talk in this game--

GSP will be ready, penn better show up otherwise he will lose, he can do well but it will be tough to beat GSP in this one.

mogo, do you do any martial arts?

naw i don't, but think it would be a pretty cool thing to get into...

i've just been a big fan ever since the beginning.... i would rent the VHS tapes of the original UFC events when they were first starting out at the local Blockbuster when i was young and and just loved it... been following ever since...

i know there are a few MMA gyms that have popped up around the Pittsburgh area recently though... heard a couple guys that were older than me in HS are training and fighting in some of the local shows in the area....

naw i don't, but think it would be a pretty cool thing to get into...

i've just been a big fan ever since the beginning.... i would rent the VHS tapes of the original UFC events when they were first starting out at the local Blockbuster when i was young and and just loved it... been following ever since...

i know there are a few MMA gyms that have popped up around the Pittsburgh area recently though... heard a couple guys that were older than me in HS are training and fighting in some of the local shows in the area though....

ah ok, i was just curious because i thought majority of you guys would be in it, would you think people who do participate in MMA have a better advantage or is it based on what you've seen and reports?

i think those who participate might know more about the techniques and fighting styles, but knowing certain fighter comes with watching their fights and reading about them (their level of training, training partners, commitment, etc)... i really don't think a person who actually fights has some special advantage, but they may be more informed on what it takes to be at that level and can see who is doing enough to be a winner... honestly a lot of what sways me one way or another for a fight is reading reports, seeing how they look at the weighins, and then hearing how they "feel" about the fight...

i really don't like looking too far ahead at any fights b/c of all that can change in a short amount of time (ie. Shamrock/Kimbo fight that ended up being Seth/Kimbo and the books put a ridiculous line out there quickly for Seth/Kimbo)....

IMO looking at weighins are absolutely key to seeing how a fighter is coming into the fight, and is really when i start nailing down who looks ready and able to go to war.... you gotta short of have leans in your head leading up weighins and then go off what you see there...

I agree it will be difficult to beat GSP. he's supposed to be the best athlete in the sport but that hasn't translated into becoming the best fighter. If he wins, I would like to see him live up to the hype for once. I wanna see him use his reach n leg kicks to to neutralize BJs standup. I want to see more than lay n pray if he takes bj to the ground. For once I would like to see some bjj skills if he's on his back.

Dude, BJ doesn't have to put on 20 lbs of muscle. He walks around at 175 lbs naturally, 155 is a fairly significant weight cut for him. I actually think that, in shape, he'd much rather be fighting at 170 because he doens't have to cut 15-20 lbs the week of the fight. I don't know whether he will be in shape or not, but it's absurd to think that if BJ "has abs" that that means he's in shape. Look at Fedor, Chuck Liddell, Shogun Rua, Frank Mir, Big Nogs, etc. None of those guys are ever ripped at all, but you're nuts if you don't think they are in great shape. If BJ has the same type of training camp that he has had since the M. Hughes loss, he will be in great shape, no matter whether you can see his 6-pack or not.

I'll give you that GSP is a HUGE guy, he walks around at around 185-190 and is monstrously strong for a person in this weight class. He is also maybe the best wrestler at any weight class in MMA right now, including all the Olympic guys. The issue that he has in this fight, though, is that he is fighting a guy that is actually more talented than he is in every aspect except the wrestling piece. BJ is world class in jiu-jitsu, has an incredible chin, and has heavier hands. BJ also has the revenge factor and, if you watch the fight that mogo linked above, you'll see that he won the first fight, but the judges remembered the last 2 minutes on the 3rd round and awarded GSP the decision.

I love GSP as a fighter and think he is great to watch, but this is about as tough a matchup as you could give him outside of a guy like Anderson Silva (who I would love to see him fight if he beats BJ). Georges is used to being more talented, more well-rounded, and more athletic than pretty much anyone he faces. That is certainly not the case in this fight, and if I'm his camp, this worries the hell out of me. Georges does NOT respond well when he's in trouble (see Serra fight and the end of the first round in the BJ fight, which I think would have been stopped had the round lasted 20 more seconds).

Anderson vs GSP would be fun to watch. I don't see GSP askng for that fight like BJ did for this one. He would probably accept but I don't think Dana would risk that right now. It's obvious that GSP is one of Dana's guys n Dana likes to protect his marketable champs

Weigh-INS can be deceiving

true , but it's still a good indication and look at how the fighter has prepared... this is pretty much the last time most of us will "see" the fighter until the card starts so it's a pretty good starting point....

Anderson vs GSP would be fun to watch. I don't see GSP askng for that fight like BJ did for this one. He would probably accept but I don't think Dana would risk that right now. It's obvious that GSP is one of Dana's guys n Dana likes to protect his marketable champs

yup , gotta protect the commodities of you business... unlike what happened in EliteXC

who has improved more??

I think that there is talk about GSP not being able to take punches and quitting--

I think he might come in on fire and silence critics--

I notice in first match he was big for PENN, he was able to grapple with him.

Super Bowl questions with ... Aaron Smith

TAMPA, Fla. -- Media day is a crazy time in the NFL. But Pittsburgh Steelers starting defensive end Aaron Smith took time out to answer questions from the AFC North blog.

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#c0c0c0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>
1862.jpg
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Smith </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Here is what he had to say:

You're a big mixed martial arts fan. Who do you have this week with the big fight between Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn?

AS: Oh, Penn for sure. Penn is a much better fighter. It just depends on if he shows up in shape. GSP outscored him during the first fight. I think Penn overall won the fight, but GSP won by [points]. But Penn is a more talented fighter.

icon10.gif

I find myself switching all over the place, a fight like this is hard to predict--

I wish they had live betting on MMA? after each round imagine that?

Its tough to see who is better, who has improved--

most of it will come down to gameplanning and styles and who can impose the pace and who stymies the other fighter--

GSP has lost, but when he seems really confident he wins somehow--

I am not sure about PENN too much, never really seen him fight to much, but I know he is very confident fighter. He is also good at sneaky submissions from the bottom.

WHen his cardio is good he seems to do well in those rounds vs elite fighters---

I have a feeling MOGO that GSP's camp is better, trains harder, cardio is better, fights better guys.

I think this fight will come down to PENNS cardio and MENTALLY- I think the fight could be won by the fighter who breaks the other fighter down mentally.

I wont even touch this one..too tough to call...so many intangibles...

it can end so many ways, each way...

Let me say first that I am a GSP fan, but not a nut hugger...

If Penn wins in happens in round one or two after that GSP will own him. Penn's cardio (even his "new cardio) is crap...some guys have it some dont, ask the Ice man. But if Penn strikes as he did in the first fight he can catch GSP and win early. I figure he'll come out like a fucking tornado trying to get it done ASAP - IMO - his only chance.

GSP I think "could" win at anytime...but I think the game plan (Jackson is the shit) will be to smother Penn and wear him down...GSP is too strong too much on the ground. See Fitch comments about GSP's "hips" and how dominant they were against him...he was overwhelmed. If he can do the same to Penn, BJ will gas and probably loose to TKO strikes on the ground. That said I'm not Jackson, so it's a tough call. He (they) could move forward allowing most to think that this would be the game pan (make em think you're weak when You're strong) and come out fighting fire with fire...I doubt it but again, we'll see...

One thing for certain is it's gonna be amazing!

If i had to take a side I would go GSP but I'll sit this one out and just enjoy the fight.

While two belts would be nice, B.J. Penn just focused on win at UFC 94

With a UFC 94 main-event showdown between two of the world's top pound-for-pound fighters just days away, UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn (13-4-1 MMA, 9-3-1 UFC) isn't focused on the opportunity to become the organization's first dual belt-holder.

"The Prodigy" recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he just wants to beat UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre (17-2 MMA, 12-2 UFC).

"[Holding two belts] is a very important accomplishment, but as of now all I'm thinking about is fighting St. Pierre and beating St. Pierre," Penn said. "If I was fighting a lesser opponent and I was going to have the same accomplishment, what would be the point?"

The fight between the two current belt-holders represents a rematch of an epic 2006 bout. While Penn dropped that bout in a razor-thin split decision, Penn said he won't be relying too much on the experience during Saturday's UFC 94 bout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

"From that fight I realized that Georges has the will to prepare for a fight," Penn said. "With that said, I also have the will to prepare for a fight.

"Honestly, I don't even remember much about that fight. I remember fighting, but as far the techniques go, we're two way different technical fighters. We're going to find out on Jan. 31 where we match up in what areas. Besides that, I'm just pumped for that day. I'm going to kick his ass."

Penn has fought from lightweight all the way up to heavyweight in his eight-year career. But Saturday night's bout with St. Pierre will mark Penn's first trip outside of the lightweight division since a 2006 battle with Matt Hughes. Despite critical depictions of his training process on the Spike TV-broadcast, Penn said his body is well-prepared for the bout.

"I'm at 171 pounds right now," Penn said. "I've been here for about three weeks. This is it. This is my weight, 170 pounds. That's what I am.

"I'm not a 187-pounder trying to make 170 pounds. I'm not a true 155-pounder. I am a 165 to 170-pounder. This is me. This is what I live at."

While many MMA analysts believe Penn performs best when competing at 155 pounds, the 30-year-old said he actually feels most comfortable at welterweight.

"I don't feel I'm at my best at 155 (pounds) because I've got to cut all that water the week of the fight," Penn said. "I don't think that you perform at your best when you cut that kind of weight. St. Pierre says that he cuts 17 pounds the week of the fight, and that guy standing across the ring from him also cut 17 pounds the week of the fight. I'm going to be able to push longer, harder and stronger than he can. I think that will play into my advantage, I believe."

With both fighters bringing a well-rounded, elite-level set of skills to the cage, Penn believes it is the heart of the fighters that will prove the difference.

"Honestly, from the get go, Georges is so good at every area I'm just going to start attacking his heart right off the bat," Penn said. "I'm just going to put him into a fight. We're going to start fighting and we're going to see what's happening.

"It's not like, 'Oh, I'm going to kick his leg because he doesn't think I'm going to kick,' or, 'I'm going to punch and dominate him with my jab.' It's not one of those fights. I'm going to go and I'm going to take this guy out. And when the fight's done, it's done."

Penn's critics have cited the lack of pressure the Hawaiian resident may face in the bout considering his 155-pound belt is not on the line. The lightweight champ scoffed at the notion a loss would have a lessened impact on his career.

"Whoever thinks like that just doesn't know who I am and doesn't know how I think," Penn said. "You think I'm going to go out there to lose a fight and then go home and be like, 'Well, hey, that's great. I still got my lightweight title.' I'm not a pussy. I'm not a [expletive].

"When I'm out there, I'm there to fight and give everything I've got. I'm not one of those kind of guys. That's something a coward would think and a coward would do, and that's not me."

Billed as the "most anticipated rematch in UFC history," the clash between Penn and St. Pierre may very well be exactly that. And while Penn declined to offer his entire gameplan, "The Prodigy" feels confident in predicting the final result.

"I don't know how I'm going to win this fight, but I know I'm going to win."

I have a feeling MOGO that GSP's camp is better, trains harder, cardio is better, fights better guys.

I think this fight will come down to PENNS cardio and MENTALLY- I think the fight could be won by the fighter who breaks the other fighter down mentally.

it would be naive of me to say GSPs camp isn't better... Jackson has worked wonders in the past with his fighters getting them ready to engage in a certain fight that will help expose the opponents weakness...

does he have GSP working on a solid gameplan to defeat BJ, or will BJ just be able to overwhelm him early and get a fast win??? i guess we'll see....

I think we know Penn's plan, he is not going to beat GSP technically with his gameplan-

He is going to try and get GSP into a brawl, when GSP fought Serra and he got hit he was scrambling around like crazy, he was retreating and looking to recover.

I think Penn thinks if he hits him, he can do what Serra did which is just go after him and kick the shit out of him--

THe more I think about this fight i see it going this way----

If this fight is a MMA- standup or technical match I think GSP wins the match--

NO one has beaten GSP yet, unless they TKO him or submit him---
WHen he is fighthing and not rattled he wins his matches--

SO in terms of a regular mma fight GSP should beat PENN--

Option 2----

If this fight turns into a street fight, like a scrap that would happen after a night at the BAR- I think that this plays into Penn's hands bigtime--

GSP is not a natural brawler, no doubts that if they fought at a stripclub parking lot that penn would probably beat GSP, because he is more of a street fighter-

GSP is an ATHLETIC engineered fighter, GSP was not born to fight, I am sure he could have been a PRO football player or hockey player or any sport. GSP could be good at any sport.
PENN on the other hand is only a fighter and would suck at football and hockey and soccer--

If GSP is in a real fight he will be in trouble, because PENN is a natural brawler, GSP follows the coaches gameplan and uses his athleticism to win his fights--

Can you guys believe in met GSP? what a chance meeting!

I was in Montreal at Tim HORTONS (donut shop) in the summer when none other than GSP walked in the shop. I recognized him, and me and my brother got pictures with him. We couldnt talk to him too much because of this assole journalist was giving me dirty looks for talking to him, I felt like putting him in a rear naked choke-

GSP is around 185 pounds and has thick legs, that was my impression, he looks like a typical wide receiver in the NFL about 5'9 half and 185 pounds.

GSP I saw him in person, and there is no way IN HELL that Matt SERRA, Matt HUGHES, and JOhn FITCH can even be close to this guy in terms of size, strength, and athleticism. I looked at him and thought wow this guy works out he is in good shape.

The men GSP fought he was twice the athlete they all were--

PENN is skilled and can strike, this is the danger---

So all we need to find out what kind of fight it will be---

BRAWL-street fight- PENN wins possibly
TECHNICAL typical GSP fight- GSP wins decision or stoppage on ground

Back