UFC 88: Breakthrough (Liddell v. Evans) - Saturday, Sep 06

Round 1 - Chuck wins this with octagon control and effectiveness. EVans doing a lot of jumping around and backing away, avoidance will not win this.

Punching At The Same Time And Lidell Was Off The Mark.... Evans Was Not...

I Can Not Believe This..... :hang:

Just like the article says about Liddell/Evans:

If Evans reverts back to "Lay-N-Pray", it wont be able to keep Liddell down...and that's IF he takes him down successfully. Another thing to ask yourself, can Evans go toe-to-toe in striking and be successful? I dont think age is a factor for Chuck, not yet.

He lost to Jardine given the fact that he just lost the LHW title a few months back and Jardine was well trained and had executed a very good game plan. (Although he didn't executed very well against Silva..0.36 sec. TKO)

:36_11_6: HOLY HELL!!! He got game...

Evans KO's Liddell.... heres a Youtube link before it dies....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qJZe-Hi_iSg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qJZe-Hi_iSg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

crazy knockout by Rashad...I was thinkin that I'd wasted my money ordering the PPV after Rashad did nothing in the first round and than he knocks him out with one fuckin punch...wow

FULL RESULTS
  • Rashad Evans def. Chuck Liddell via KO (punch) -- Round 2, 1:51
  • Rich Franklin def. Matt Hamill via TKO (strikes) -- Round 3, 0:39
  • Dan Henderson def. Rousimar Palhares via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
  • Nate Marquardt def. Martin Kampmann via TKO (strikes) -- Round 1, 1:22
  • Dong Hyun Kim def. Matt Brown via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
  • Kurt Pellegrino def. Thiago Tavares via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-28)
  • Tim Boetsch def. Mike Patt via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 2:03
  • Jason MacDonald def. Jason Lambert via submission (rear-naked choke) -- Round 2, 1:20
  • Ryo Chonan def. Roan Carneiro via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)

Evans, MacDonald, Pellegrino and Tavares earn $60K UFC 88 bonuses

Rashad Evans, Jason MacDonald, Kurt Pellegrino and Thiago Tavares each earned $60,000 "fight night" bonuses for their performances at UFC 88.

UFC 88 took place Saturday at Philips Arena in Atlanta and aired live on pay per view. The bonus amounts were equal to last month's awards issued at UFC 87.

The UFC announced the bonuses at the UFC 88 post-fight press conference and were confirmed by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

There was a large selection of knockouts for UFC brass to consider when picking the best of the night. But despite outstanding performances by Nate Marquardt and Tim Boetsch, no knockout was quite as devastating or meant quite as much as Evans' dismantling of Chuck Liddell. UFC officials agreed, and Evans took home the bonus in addition to his new-found position in the UFC's light-heavyweight division.

Pellegrino and Tavares shared Fight of the Night honors for their rousing lightweight contest. In the back-and-forth affair, both fighters showed flashes of brilliance. In the end it was Pellegrino that was able to earn the unanimous decision.

MacDonald erased the frustration of a UFC 87 loss to Damian Maia by securing the victory over a newly trim Jason Lambert. A late replacement for fellow Canadian Jason Day, MacDonald secured the evening's sole submission and the hefty bonus by default.

UFC 88 fighter salaries: Despite KO loss, Chuck Liddell top earner with $500K

Despite a shocking knockout loss to Rashad Evans in the night's main event, Chuck Liddell still received the highest reported payday at this past weekend's "UFC 88: Breakthrough" event with a $500,000 fight purse.

MMAjunkie.com today requested and received the list of official salaries from the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission.

Other top earners included UFC 88 main-card winners Dan Henderson ($150,000), Evans ($120,000) and Rich Franklin ($100,000).

The total disclosed payroll for the event was a hefty $1,220,000.

The event took place this past Saturday, Sept. 6, at Atlanta's Philips Arena and aired live on pay per view.

The full list of salaries included:
ufc-88-salaries.jpg

Rashad is getting the next shot at Forrest for the LHW belt.

Wand, Shogun, Rampage, Machida are all licking their chops

Rashad keeps pinching his nipples....:really_happy:

Rashad Evans clarifies nipple twisting, Bill Gates T-shirt :36_11_6:

If it weren't for his stunning overhand right that sent Chuck Liddell to the canvas for one of the UFC's biggest main-event upsets, Rashad Evans would likely be fielding questions about two other topics.

Why exactly was he twisting his nipples during pre-fight introductions? And what was up the Bill Gates mugshot T-shirt Evans sported throughout this past weekend?

On today's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), Evans said they were just inside jokes that originated at his home with Team Jackson.

During this past Saturday's UFC 88 event at Atlanta's Philips Arena, as Bruce Buffer bellowed Evans' bio and name during pre-fight introductions, cameras caught Evans licking his fingers and then tweaking his nipples. The strange move has fueled more than a few forum postings -- especially since teammate and current UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre did the same thing before his latest title defense over Jon Fitch.

"Georges St. Pierre was the first do it, and it's just sort of an inside joke," Evans said.

Evans said St. Pierre had heard it was supposed to bring good luck -- according to some ancient fighting myths, anyway. And if there's anything the New Mexico-based Team Jackson group knows, it's unity. Led by famed fight strategist and head trainer Greg Jackson, the team has created a sense of brotherhood among team members Evans, St. Pierre, Keith Jardine, Nate Marquardt, Joey Villasenor and others.

"Georges said it was supposed to good luck or something, so I said, 'Cool, alright,'" Evans said, laughing.

As for the T-shirt, Evans said it was also an inside joke with the team.

"That shirt, it's [Gates'] mugshot," Evans said. "He was arrested in Albuquerque, N.M. He started off Microsoft in the basement of the Bank One Building. That's right next to the (Team Jackson) gym.

That's the only association right now, but the team is hopeful Gates could become more involved with Team Jackson someday.

"Maybe one day he'll be part of my crew," Evans joked.

Evans knew people might be confused those things, and it's been easy for him to laugh it off. However, there's been another byproduct from this past weekend's win, and it's no laughing matter.

"It just bothers me that people are so quick to be so judgmental and negative toward me even when I win a fight," Evans said.

Evans, "The Ultimate Fighter 2" winner who pushed his career record to 12-0-1 with the win over Liddell, attributed much of the current hostility to his toppling of a giant -- scoring an upset over such a fan favorite.

He also thinks some fans misinterpreted some of his foot and head work as showboating, which he said just isn't true.

"People are just so upset that I won this fight," Evans said. "They're like, 'Oh, those antics, he's such a showboater.' I'm like, 'How was I showboating?' They way I move is the way I move. When I wrestled in college, I wrestled the exact same way. I have a lot of movement. That's just the way I move. That's what makes me feel comfortable, and people just get so mad about that.

"(UFC broadcaster) Joe Rogan is like, 'I don't know if Rashad Evans is trying to throw [Liddell] off his game or of he's trying to showboat. First of all, you showboat when you do something. If I haven't done anything, there's nothing to showboat about.

"I'm just trying to get my game going. I'm just like, 'What are you talking about?' If Anderson Silva did it, it would be 'superb technique,' but when I do it, it's showboating."

To hear the full interview with Evans, download Tuesday's edition of TAGG Radio, available for free in the TAGG Radio archives.

Back