The Transfer Rule

Frank Costanza

Co-Inventor of the Man's Bra
Kyle Porter was an RB at Texas for two years. Entered the transfer portal in January 2019. Announced transfer to Houston in May 2019. Able to play immediately and is doing so tonight vs. OU.

Where's the differentiation between sitting out a year and having immediate eligibility? I thought the latter used to be reserved for 5th year seniors but I missed the boat somewhere. Not the first time, but oh well.

Someone walk me out of the mire.

If they’re not a grad transfer they have to get a waiver for immediate eligibility.

Real curious how Fields at tOSU gets to play this year. Obv NCAA crooked as hell but what was the reason he got the waiver? Has a cousin that lives in Cleveland?

Real curious how Fields at tOSU gets to play this year. Obv NCAA crooked as hell but what was the reason he got the waiver? Has a cousin that lives in Cleveland?

Didnt he claim it was cause of the abuse he got from some fans?

Didnt he claim it was cause of the abuse he got from some fans?

Ya, racial abuse from someone on the baseball team

O/U 5.5 years some school/booster gets caught paying off someone to 'cause a potential transfer mitigating circumstances that are outside the student-athlete’s control and directly impact the health, safety and well-being of the student-athlete'

Basically it is pick or choose. Why did Tathan get granted? He ran from competition? Yet a kid or two with sick family are somehow sitting out this year. It's brutal. But, that's FA..

Think the rule should be eliminate grad transfers (they're a crock anyway) and give every player one free, non waiting transfer. Only way you could ever get immediate waiver to transfer that doesn't count as your one would be if a coach is fired before you play a game at a school (so incoming freshman or transfers) then you can immediately transfer. All scholarships are guaranteed for the first three years (if a team wants to remove a player from scholarship post year 3, the player would be immediately eligible somewhere else, would not count as their immediate transfer, and the team would forfeit that scholarship for the year. In the case of injury, teams could request a player be removed from the team's scholarship count but he would be enrolled in school and receive health care and rehab through the school for five years after he graduates).

Would drastically increase the games as players would seek out opportunity to play more than they would seek opportunity to sit and be backups. Sure some guys would still go to compete or try and play somewhere but think of how much better college football would be if the guys who were top QB were going to play at smaller schools to get playing time instead of being third or even fourth string guys somewhere else.

Also, teams couldn't just abuse cherry picking transfers because it still takes a scholarship and you run a risk of holding scholarships for transfers and then not having any and missing out on quality players.

I like the idea of loosening up transfer rules.

Their decisions are arbitrary and capricious, but that's to be expected from a bureaucracy, and few bureaucracies are as divorced from reality as the NCAA.

Agree with Kobe about limiting it to one per player, but I like the graduate transfer rule as well.

Back