Bowls - Opt Outs, Transfers, Injuries, Coaches - Complete List

Cyclones DB Young has entered the portal. Young was co-defensive freshman of the year in 2020.

• Sad
Reactions: KJ
"You’ve got an obligation to the place that helped build and develop you and finish it out in the bowl," Mike Leach said, via the Clarion-Ledger (Jackson, Miss.). "That’s part of it. You owe it to your team, you owe it to your fans, you owe it to your coaches and it’s the most bizarre thing in the world to me."

"Somebody says, 'Well, I can’t play one more game,'" Leach said. "They think they’re going to have a storied 10-year NFL career, and then they can’t play one more college game. Well, that’s ridiculous. I mean, guys will go to the NFL, they’ll make the Pro Bowl and then they’ll play in the Pro Bowl. It’s one of the biggest absurdities that I’ve seen, and it’s selfish, too."

It should be noted that Leach, who has made stops at Texas Tech and Washington State as well as Mississippi State, has never left a team prior to its bowl game. He was fired at Texas Tech in 2009 following an 8-4 season after allegations of player abuse. He also coached the Cougars in the 2019 Cheez-It Bowl before accepting the Bulldogs' head coaching position. He did, however, leave his position as Oklahoma's offensive coordinator prior to the 1999 Independence Bowl (a 27-25 loss to Ole Miss).

Traylor said the Roadrunners are “in really good shape” from an injury standpoint, and no one on the roster is projected to forgo the bowl to get a jump on pro aspirations.

jfc.. line says it Haener. doesnt much matter to me cause i have no real interest in betting it. i cant lay that with a team im not sure all that interested but how the hel can i play a utep team who gets rolled against anyone with a pulse?

“a place that develops me and prepares me for the next level.”

That is why Emory Jones is transferring from Florida after the bowl game. Emory Jones doesn't have a chance at the next level, I'm not sure he even has much of a chance with another team at the Power 5 level.

There are guys opting out of bowls who are not sure fire NFL picks, let alone high picks.

This is as bad as it has ever been.

That is why Emory Jones is transferring from Florida after the bowl game. Emory Jones doesn't have a chance at the next level, I'm not sure he even has much of a chance with another team at the Power 5 level.

There are guys opting out of bowls who are not sure fire NFL picks, let alone high picks.

This is as bad as it has ever been.
Somewhere Darwin is laughing his ass off

Interim Fresno HC Marks says there will be no announcement on starting QB. So will likely be a pregame warm-up type discovery. If Haener is in uniform he would be assumed as playing.

Fresno is either playing one of those games coaches like to do where they don't tell their opponent who the QB is to try and have some kind of advantage or make opponent spend more time prepping for different players and packages, and then Haener plays. Or for some reason, Haener isn't playing and they don't want to say for the same reason as not wanting to tip cap.

I'm pretty happy with the accuracy of this list. I update it several times a day as information becomes available.

The hardest thing is knowing if some of the transfers are playing in the bowl or not.

If you have any insight or if we can make this list more complete or more helpful please post.

It's getting to the point where this is actually a signaling move by these players. "Hey, look at me! I was a good player, so the fact that I sat out the bowl game elevates me. I'm better than all these other slobs who have the indignity of actually playing in a bow game."

It used to be sure-fire first rounders only. Now it's any kid who thinks he has a chance to maybe sneak into a camp. I wish NFL teams would start shunning kids that do this. If I was an NFL executive interviewing one of these kids, I'd ask: "We put a premium on teamwork and trust here. Tell me how our players will know that you'll always have their backs? I mean, you just walked out on your teammates because it was a business decision in your best interest. How do we know you won't be making "business decisions" on the field?"

It's really just a status thing.

@Br@ssknux

Good point. Gets their shit out there on twitter and people talk about them and their capabilities and accomplishments.

I'm pretty happy with the accuracy of this list. I update it several times a day as information becomes available.

The hardest thing is knowing if some of the transfers are playing in the bowl or not.

If you have any insight or if we can make this list more complete or more helpful please post.
Awesome job on this! Thanks very much for doing it.

Not like losing d backs should make a difference in this one but still

Those are two big losses with Lucas and Jones. Two very experienced and highly regarded CBs.

Even if Wisconsin only attempts 20 passes in the game, without those two in the secondary, I think Badger's chances of completing said passes and not having them broke-up or INT'd goes up quite a bit.

It's getting to the point where this is actually a signaling move by these players. "Hey, look at me! I was a good player, so the fact that I sat out the bowl game elevates me. I'm better than all these other slobs who have the indignity of actually playing in a bow game."

It used to be sure-fire first rounders only. Now it's any kid who thinks he has a chance to maybe sneak into a camp. I wish NFL teams would start shunning kids that do this. If I was an NFL executive interviewing one of these kids, I'd ask: "We put a premium on teamwork and trust here. Tell me how our players will know that you'll always have their backs? I mean, you just walked out on your teammates because it was a business decision in your best interest. How do we know you won't be making "business decisions" on the field?"

It's really just a status thing.
You cant hold these kids with their whole life/career ahead of they more accountable than the coaches that are supposed to be leaders. They drop everything and switch jobs and leave kids hanging every year. Any college kid that has a chance to sign an NFL contract and isnt playing for a national title has every right to "be selfish" in that situation. Theres only a few people that get to walk in those shoes, so judging them is rather silly.

You cant hold these kids with their whole life/career ahead of they more accountable than the coaches that are supposed to be leaders. They drop everything and switch jobs and leave kids hanging every year. Any college kid that has a chance to sign an NFL contract and isnt playing for a national title has every right to "be selfish" in that situation. Theres only a few people that get to walk in those shoes, so judging them is rather silly.
Not even sure why a national title comes into play. It's only value for the institution, not the individual and by a long way.

This whole setup is so screwed up

"Any college kid that has a chance at an NFL contract". You look at a lot of the names on that opt out list and some of those guys aren't draft guys. Some might be be undrafted free agents. I think some of those players are receiving bad advice or are not making good judgements. That is up to them to figure their life out.

For the sport in general, bowl games are mass opt out now. We have seen players opt out of their team's regular seasons. Soon we will have players wanting to opt out of certain games of their team's regular season games, right? Because if a bowl game is meaningless for Washington State to play Miami, then surely a game between Washington State and Portland State or Utah State is equally meaningless right?

Maybe when some of these players get to the pros, they'll opt out of week 17 & 18 games because their team is 4-11 & has no shot at the playoffs. Some of the players (Kenny Pickett) are going to play in the Senior Bowl, but opt out of a major bowl game. I realize there are different rules for the game, but anytime you're playing football, there's a chance for injury. Ironic if he, or an y other player in this situation were to sustain a significant injury in an all-star game after bailing on the bowl game. Like I said before, just stop this foolishness & develop a minor/developmental league for the NFL, so we can watch guys who actually want to play. Insurance companies offer loss of value policies for situations just like this. Why didn't this "opt out" trend exist 10 years ago? What's changed other than the mentality that the "I" is always more important than the "We".

I don't give a rat's ass about the Power 5 Universities, NCAA, boosters, or who gets all the $$, but what's wrong with these guys wanting to play for themselves, their teammates or just because they love the game. I know, crazy right?

NFL players don't opt out of games because they have contracts and a requirement for getting paid is that they show up at their job. These college players are doing a simple cost-benefit analysis and determining that there's no rational economic reason to play the final game of their career. The only thing surprising about this is that it took this long to happen.

NFL players don't opt out of games because they have contracts and a requirement for getting paid is that they show up at their job. These college players are doing a simple cost-benefit analysis and determining that there's no rational economic reason to play the final game of their career. The only thing surprising about this is that it took this long to happen.
Not sure why anyone who thinks expanding playoffs makes sense, these guys are wisely trying to play as few games as possible unless somehow they can improve their values. More games won't mean better football or proper results in college. Less is more in this sport.

Maybe when some of these players get to the pros, they'll opt out of week 17 & 18 games because their team is 4-11 & has no shot at the playoffs. Some of the players (Kenny Pickett) are going to play in the Senior Bowl, but opt out of a major bowl game. I realize there are different rules for the game, but anytime you're playing football, there's a chance for injury. Ironic if he, or an y other player in this situation were to sustain a significant injury in an all-star game after bailing on the bowl game. Like I said before, just stop this foolishness & develop a minor/developmental league for the NFL, so we can watch guys who actually want to play. Insurance companies offer loss of value policies for situations just like this. Why didn't this "opt out" trend exist 10 years ago? What's changed other than the mentality that the "I" is always more important than the "We".
This is just rubbish and totally unreasonable thinking. Basically amounts to whining about people you dont know and what they choose to do or not do that doesnt effect you. Beyond silly.....

This is just rubbish and totally unreasonable thinking. Basically amounts to whining about people you dont know and what they choose to do or not do that doesnt effect you. Beyond silly.....
It affects my ability to keep up and bet. #1 hobby from September-January

UTSA opt outs are significant imo. I live 80 miles north of San Antonio and get their stations/sports show which I watch every Sunday night. They cover UTSA 24/7
I haven't been able to confirm names other than the ones in post #1. I think Brady is a good enough RB, not McCormick but good enough. I do worry about more defenders. Are there additional names?

I haven't been able to confirm names other than the ones in post #1. I think Brady is a good enough RB, not McCormick but good enough. I do worry about more defenders. Are there additional names?
This suddenly has become the kind of game that betting a defensive score seems legit

Not that I know. Running back Sincere McCormick loss is big imo

Not that I know. Running back Sincere McCormick loss is big imo
Hard thing for me in situations like this...SDSU defense would be difficult for even a running back named Peterson or Sanders

So does that mean UTSA just tries to throw religiously?

Hard thing for me in situations like this...SDSU defense would be difficult for even a running back named Peterson or Sanders

So does that mean UTSA just tries to throw religiously?
I don't think they would want Harris throwing 40x.

I would assume the coaches will run their system about count on the offensive players to execute. Be that their #1 RB or their #2. Coaches would say things publicly like they believe in Brady and they trust Brady. Everyone knows McCormick is special, but still, I think Brady can be good enough. McCormick might not have cracked 100y vs Aztecs either.

So UTSA can be good throwing, but just because McCormick is out I don't think that means they throw more.

Now, the best way to attack SDSt is by throwing and SDSt has issues in their secondary. So on that note, McCormick or not, I would look for UTSA to be more productive by air than by ground given the nature of who they are playing. UTSA will still run though. They will probably call the same game they would with or with McCormick. SDSt might dictate how it ends up actually going.

I don't think they would want Harris throwing 40x.

I would assume the coaches will run their system about count on the offensive players to execute. Be that their #1 RB or their #2. Coaches would say things publicly like they believe in Brady and they trust Brady. Everyone knows McCormick is special, but still, I think Brady can be good enough. McCormick might not have cracked 100y vs Aztecs either.

So UTSA can be good throwing, but just because McCormick is out I don't think that means they throw more.

Now, the best way to attack SDSt is by throwing and SDSt has issues in their secondary. So on that note, McCormick or not, I would look for UTSA to be more productive by air than by ground given the nature of who they are playing. UTSA will still run though. They will probably call the same game they would with or with McCormick. SDSt might dictate how it ends up actually going.
Kinda what I was trying to get at...are they really changing anything as far as a game plan? They were never going to be successful running with RB1 as opposed to RB2 anyway...

That's my opinion too. I think they stick to their system regardless of the name of the RB. I think either way, they will have to be successful throwing. That will be their key. The difference is in that if they are up late in the 4th, salting the game away with McCormick vs doing it with Brady might yield different results. But I think they call it the same way. Maybe if they were forced to start a less experienced or proven RB it'd be different. Brady should get all the touches McCormick would have in my opinion.

There was some disappointment in UTSA's bowl location and opponent among fans. They thought they deserved something better. It's close to home so they will still have a huge crowd edge.

For the players, they won the conference. Had never done that. They've also never won a bowl. So the want to will be there for them I think even if they hoped for a bigger game.

Now speculation or rumors about additional players out is concerning if hat is the case.

There was some disappointment in UTSA's bowl location and opponent among fans. They thought they deserved something better. It's close to home so they will still have a huge crowd edge.

For the players, they won the conference. Had never done that. They've also never won a bowl. So the want to will be there for them I think even if they hoped for a bigger game.

Now speculation or rumors about additional players out is concerning if hat is the case.
Winning a bowl game used to mean a lot more than it does today, crazy how the years pass

ISU v Pitt here at the end of 2000, we'd never won one....Phoenix was full of ISU like it was the biggest game of everyone's lives and the crowd support was virtually nil for Pitt

That allure is gone when 80+ teams make bowls now

Back