Return of the MAC

I thought about giving Bowling Green - Akron it's own thread...

Seems a fair amount of interest in it, maybe just for the macabre of it. Oh, see that MACabre!

I looked up the definition of macabre - "watching or betting on Akron or Bowling Green football"

Common opponents-

Ohio - Akron lost 10-24, BG lost 10-52
Kent - Akron lost 35-69 (mostly all 1st H points by Zips), BG lost 24-62 (mostly all 2nd H points by BG)

Think that BG running game and TE Morris are BG's best chance. Arkon D should be better vs run than the pass. BG's QB flat out has been the absolute worst QB I have seen this year. Will playing a poor D help him that much, he's just looked terrible.

Zips had a pretty good running game going before Miami Oh loaded the box overwhelmed the OL and forced Zips to throw, which Gibson couldn't do.

Think the BG D will provide some relief for Akron O. Kato Nelson's dad tweeted this week "he's coming patiently waiting". Not sure if that means he is going to be playing sooner rather than later (think it was shoulder surgery in September).

I don't know, I think Akron should win with Gibson or with Nelson.

Central Michigan has 1 QB for today, literally 1. Pimpleton will be #2 and a DB turned RB will be #3.

I could only have Akron because of how bad BG is on D & their QB play....still passing on it because of Gibson's decision-making...

Only MAC side that really interests me today is Toledo but not sure I wanna lay double digits

Recaps from 12/5

Akron beat Bowling Green 31-3, but were outgained 282-295? Akron kicked a FG following a fumble recovery (lost 8 yards on that possession before FG), blocked a punt for TD and had a 39y TD drive after an INT. Akron did drive for two legit TDs. BG's first four drives of the 3rd Q were INT, fumble, SOD A18, SOD A43. Neither QB passed it well (was some heavy snow flurries for a short bit of the game), Akron ran for 195 (5.0) to BG's 160 (4.2).

Ball State outgained Central Michigan 519-342 in the 45-20 win. BSU jumped out 10-0 and led 24-7 HT, CM did get a spark on an 82y TD run by QB Brock, but CM fumbled a punt at own 28 and BSU quickly went back up 31-14. Over half of CM's total rushing yards came on that one QB run. Plitt 26-43-366-4-1. CM did lose 4 TOs (3 in 2nd H after BSU already built it's lead), 2 of the 4 BSU turned into points. BSU lost 1 TO which CM took for a TD.

Eastern Michigan scored 53 points on Western, the most they have ever scored on them! EM scored on every possession but two, and one of those was when they took knees in the victory formation! Not counting end of half kneel downs, 16 of the 22 possessions of the game resulted in points. Two punts total all game. When WM wasn't fumbling they were scoring as well (did miss a FG on their final possession of the game). EM QB Hutchinson made his first career start vs WM last season and has now moved to 2-0 vs the Broncos in his career! WM led 7-3. EM took a 9-7 lead after recovering a WM fumble. The teams would trade TDs throughout the rest of the 1st H. EM led 30-21 HT. The scoring barrage continued 37-21, 37-28, 40-28, 43-28, 43-35, 50-35, 50-42, 53-42 F. EMU outgained them 533-513 (7.0-8.0). WM was -3 TOs all of which created short field scoring opportunities for EM. EM scored TD and kicked 2 FGs off just 55y of O following those TOs. Hutchinson 19-30-315-3-0. Eleby 18-26-288-4-0. EM ran for 218 (4.7) WM ran for 225 (5.9). Teams were both good on 3rd down converting 14-of-24 3rd down.

Toledo - Northern Illinois was a close game throughout the 1st H, then Toledo scored 17 unanswered in the 4th Q. UT finished with a 610-382 (7.5-5.7) TY edge including a surprising 432y passing by Bradley playing in place of Peters. The game was tied 24-24 at HT, but after HT NIU didn't get into UT territory until their final possession of the game. UT had a 248-88 2nd H yardage edge.

Here is a meaningless random oddity:

Bowling Green has scored 7 points fewer on offense their past 4 games. They went from 24 vs Kent to 17 vs Buffalo to 10 vs Ohio to 3 vs Akron. Can they score negative 4 this week?

Here is a meaningless random oddity:

Bowling Green has scored 7 points fewer on offense their past 4 games. They went from 24 vs Kent to 17 vs Buffalo to 10 vs Ohio to 3 vs Akron. Can they score negative 4 this week?
I think they can do it with that QB.

Took Over 59 BIG in Buffalo tomorrow. Only thing that scares me is bad weather but SUNY Buffalo forecast doesn't look that bad.
9-12MPH wind and 60-70% chance of "steady rain."

I'd consider loading up on Buffalo TT Overs and game over if the weather looks not wretched. 230 kick

Last edited:
Played E Michigan in a -102 ML parlay with Army and additionally lean Toledo -11. Pass on the rest.

Last edited:
Sucks this year, all the work these guys put in and Miami and Ohio only got 3 games in. Kent only got 4. Don't think BG really cares if season is over for them.

Actually, Kent has been a covid petri dish all year. They are lucky to have played 4 probably.

I can’t agree w no value on a team who has lost x number of games. Why not? Often there is value in bad teams like that on the spread. Unlv was a good example last week. They horrid so they were catching more points than Hawaii had beaten anyone by, turns out they were horrid again but still managed to stay within inflated number. In my dictionary that equaled “value”.

Western Michigan outgained Ball State 491-352 (5.5-5.3).

WM led 3-0 and had a 1st and goal at the B04. A bad snap went over the QB's head and Ball St recovered the ball at the 40! Ball St took that for a TD (missed xpt) to lead 6-3 instead of WM being up 6-0 or 10-0 if that errant snap had not happened. On their next possession WM was SOD at the B06! Still WM would lead 13-6 and later BSU tied 13-13 before a 20-13 WM lead went to HT. WM scored on their first possession of the 3rd to lead 27-13! WM wouldn't score again. On the last series before the 4th Q WM was INT'd near midfield. BSU scored TD to open the 4th (xpt no good)...27-19. WM 3-and-out, the BSU hit a 55y TD pass (2pt good) to tie 27-27. WM had a 3rd and 1 at the B08 but were tkl'd for loss and missed a 29y FG! Fast forward to under 3min left in the game BSU has the ball at the W46 following a short punt, BSU drove for a 22y FG to lead 30-27 :27 seconds left. The game ended on the pitchy-pitchy woo-woo play that resulted in chaos of entire benches on the field when WM was still running with the ball, but one of their "laterals" was actually forward. WM had scored on the play before review confirmed the illegal forward pass.

WM ended only scoring 3-of-6 RZ trips with the empty possessions being a fumble, a SOD and a missed FG.

Buffalo ran for 428! And outgained the Zips 507-204 with half of the Zips yards coming on their final 2 drives of the game! Akron did drive for a FGA on their opening possession, but UB blk'd it and ret'd for TD!

UB's #2 RB Marks finished with career high 182 yards. Patterson did go over 100 (6.6ypc) but wasn't needed after the 1st H. Patterson is just the 7th player in MAC history to score 50 TDs. He also tied FBS record earliest game to gain 1000 yards (5 games).

UB emptied the bench after leading 35-0 HT and 49-0 late 3rd Q.

Back