• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

**** Stanley Cup Finals Discussion ****

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Our matchup is set...

Discuss!

Panthers with the home ice.

Oilers with 3 decades of a countries weight on their side.

This should be fun.

Panthers -135
Oilers +115

Per BOL.

Both teams have been excellent on special teams in the playoffs, but I think Florida is better 5 on 5 & is deeper. IMO the series turns on the answers to two questions. Can Florida limit their trips to the penalty box & is the real Skinner the one we've seen the past 3 games, or the one we saw during the first 2 rounds of the playoffs? Personally, I like Florida in 5 or 6, but Edmonton does have the best player in the world on their roster, so if McDavid takes over the series & Skinner plays like he did lately, this could go 7.
On a side note, since expansion, teams that appear in the Finals 2 consecutive years or more have won at least one Cup in 12 of 14 instances. The exceptions were the 77 & 78 Bruins who lost both Cups to the Montreal Canadian juggernaut that won 4 straight with Ken Dryden, Guy Lafluer, Larry Robinson, Steve Shutt, Guy Lapointe & Yvon Cournoyer among others & who went 229-50-45 during that span in the regular season & 48-10 in the playoffs.
The other was the 68-70 St. Louis Blues who were swept three straight years, but in all fairness they were nowhere near the 2nd best team in any of those seasons. After expansion prior to the 67 season, the NHL divided the two conferences into haves & have nots with the original 6 teams in one conference & all the expansion teams in the other. Not a true final during those 3 seasons. Point is, if a team is good enough to make back to back appearances, they're not likely to leave empty handed in both finals.

Last edited:
Both teams have been excellent on special teams in the playoffs, but I think Florida is better 5 on 5 & is deeper. IMO the series turns on the answers to two questions. Can Florida limit their trips to the penalty box & is the real Skinner the one we've seen the past 3 games, or the one we saw during the first 2 rounds of the playoffs? Personally, I like Florida in 5 or 6, but Edmonton does have the best player in the world on their roster, so if McDavid takes over the series & Skinner plays like he did lately, this could go 7.
On a side note, since expansion, teams that appear in the Finals 2 consecutive years or more have won at least one Cup in 12 of 14 instances. The exceptions were the 77 & 78 Bruins who lost both Cups to the Montreal Canadian juggernaut that won 4 straight with Ken Dryden, Guy Lafluer, Larry Robinson, Steve Shutt, Guy Lapointe & Yvon Cournoyer among others & who went 229-50-45 during that span in the regular season & 48-10 in the playoffs.
The other was the 68-70 St. Louis Blues who were swept three straight years, but in all fairness they were nowhere near the 2nd best team in any of those seasons. After expansion prior to the 67 season, the NHL divided the two conferences into haves & have nots with the original 6 teams in one conference & all the expansion teams in the other. Not a true final during those 3 seasons. Point is, if a team is good enough to make back to back appearances, they're not likely to leave empty handed in both finals.
Terrific stuff, thanks.

Hard not to root for 97 to finally get his and for Oilers Girl to make another appearance. Florida needs to step up their game in the rink-side flashing department.

While Skinner is up and down, the past is full of series where Bobrovsky has imploded. Pens '14, Pens '15, Cap '16, Isles '20, Lighting '21.....the Oilers are certainly skilled enough to add to his torment. His .908 save percentage is down from both his regular season and the last two playoff runs. He looks ripe for the picking.

Seattle <>Miami
Vancouver <>Miami
Edmonton <>Miami

Are all generally 8 hour flights. I think the flight issue is a little overblown. These guys will all be sleeping for most of it.

The will to win cannot be overstated enough in these series- when the team just lost in the finals the year prior. In my opinion, there is such an extreme subconscious advantage when you've already lost.

Edmonton got that Austin Powers mojo goin on

However…..

That flight to Ft Lauderdale is gonna fuck them up

Couldn't have been more wrong about game 6. Here's a few tidbits about game 7's in the finals. There have been 17 game 7's in the Stanley Cup Final with the home team winning 12 of them, although the visitor has won the last 3. These games are almost always tight & low scoring as 16 of the 17 previous contests have had 5 goals or less scored. The lone exception was a Detroit 4-3 OT win against the NYR in 1950.

Couldn't have been more wrong about game 6. Here's a few tidbits about game 7's in the finals. There have been 17 game 7's in the Stanley Cup Final with the home team winning 12 of them, although the visitor has won the last 3. These games are almost always tight & low scoring as 16 of the 17 previous contests have had 5 goals or less scored. The lone exception was a Detroit 4-3 OT win against the NYR in 1950.
Thanks for the info.

I remember the 2009 Game 7 road winner all too well :(

I’m cumming

Thanks for the info.

I remember the 2009 Game 7 road winner all too well :(
Sorry, but I remember it fondly. I grew up in Niagara Falls an avid Sabres & French Connection fan, but moved to Pittsburgh as a teen in the pre-Lemieux days when they had Rick Kehoe, Randy Carlyle & Paul Gardner among others. Back then, tickets were easy to get, so much so that my dad & I drove downtown our second week in the city to see if we could get tickets from a scalper to the Pens first round game against the Bruins, only to find we didn't need a scalper because the box office at the Igloo was still open for business. Anyway, I quickly became a Pens fan, suffering through 5 years of futility before they drafted Lemieux & then suffering for another 5 years afterward before they finally got their act together. Back to the 2009 Game 7 though. I still can't believe Lidstrom didn't tie that game with 1 second left. The thing about that series was, Crosby didn't play well at all for most of it, but Fluery & Max Talbot saved the day.

Sorry, but I remember it fondly. I grew up in Niagara Falls an avid Sabres & French Connection fan, but moved to Pittsburgh as a teen in the pre-Lemieux days when they had Rick Kehoe, Randy Carlyle & Paul Gardner among others. Back then, tickets were easy to get, so much so that my dad & I drove downtown our second week in the city to see if we could get tickets from a scalper to the Pens first round game against the Bruins, only to find we didn't need a scalper because the box office at the Igloo was still open for business. Anyway, I quickly became a Pens fan, suffering through 5 years of futility before they drafted Lemieux & then suffering for another 5 years afterward before they finally got their act together. Back to the 2009 Game 7 though. I still can't believe Lidstrom didn't tie that game with 1 second left. The thing about that series was, Crosby didn't play well at all for most of it, but Fluery & Max Talbot saved the day.
Awesome to finally get a Sabres fan in the hockey forum!

Patty LaFontaine is your boy!

I kept reading and see that you love the Penguinos.

Jagr is one of my all time favorites.

I was in college when a g7 was Blues/Wings was me and a bunch of Blues fans. '96?

Sitting on the sofa watching that was incredible for simply a sports fan, the rest of the crowd wasn't so happy but it's one of the most memorable games in any sport in my life

Awesome to finally get a Sabres fan in the hockey forum!

Patty LaFontaine is your boy!

I kept reading and see that you love the Penguinos.

Jagr is one of my all time favorites.
Gilbert Perrault was my idol growing up. I tried desperately to emulate his stick handling skills when I played hockey in my youth lol. Jagr is obviously an all-time great. Hard to believe those Penguin teams in the early to mid 90's didn't win more than 2 Cups with Lemieux, Jagr, Francis, Mullen, Tocchet, Murphy, Stevens, Recchi, Coffey, Samuelsson, Barrasso & Trottier populating the roster. I root for both teams, but unfortunately there hasn't been much to get excited about for a while with either team. Penguins core is older than than the crowd at your average bingo game & the Sabres.....well, I don't have to tell you about them. At least, the Sabres future looks bright, although I was saying that 2 years ago, so we'll see if Lindy Ruff can work some of his old magic,

I was in college when a g7 was Blues/Wings was me and a bunch of Blues fans. '96?

Sitting on the sofa watching that was incredible for simply a sports fan, the rest of the crowd wasn't so happy but it's one of the most memorable games in any sport in my life

Would have been either a conference final or conference semi final as the Wings were still a Western Conference team back then.

I didn't bet the series. Licking my wounds from Dallas not getting through. May as well have Edmonton stick it in me again, but I'm on Florida as a -105 home dog tonight.

I didn't bet the series. Licking my wounds from Dallas not getting through. May as well have Edmonton stick it in me again, but I'm on Florida as a -105 home dog tonight.
I have Florida futures at 3-1 and stupidly never considered hedging after they won the first three games. At this point I almost want to see the historic choke even if it costs me money.

I have Florida futures at 3-1 and stupidly never considered hedging after they won the first three games. At this point I almost want to see the historic choke even if it costs me money.
I have 4-1 (after G3 vs NYR)

Took some 275 Edmonton before last game. I said after G5 Edmonton was winning. Shall see

Couple unit profit either way.

A kid that works for us, 21 years old (very astute bettor), took +7000 at 0-3 in series.

Fucker ;)

I have 4-1 (after G3 vs NYR)

Took some 275 Edmonton before last game. I said after G5 Edmonton was winning. Shall see

Couple unit profit either way.

A kid that works for us, 21 years old (very astute bettor), took +7000 at 0-3 in series.

Fucker ;)
I guess you know who is buying the beer after the game, +7000 whew hope he put something nice on it. BOL Cheers

I understand this.

Empty net will come early. We could see 2 goals again via that.
Are you against Florida? Man that would be a strange take. EDM winning tonight can't be lined high enough. Getting +600 or whatever would seem like an incredible discount

Florida so likely to win this isn't even a betting match

IMG_1172.jpeg
This dude I worked for today says …. 3-1 Panthers winner with Sam Reinhart scoring first goal….

He doesn’t like the Oilers at all, specifically mentioned 3 players he doesn’t want to see hoist the cup.

Are you against Florida? Man that would be a strange take. EDM winning tonight can't be lined high enough. Getting +600 or whatever would seem like an incredible discount

Look at me. Please, look at meeeeeeeee.

I have Florida +400
I also have Edmonton+275

Win amounts are within a half unit

That is correct

I'm going to try and figure out the other 2.

There's no way he mentioned McDavid or Draisitil right? I am NOT guessing them, I'm just confirming he couldn't have possibly mentioned those 2 guys or I'm out because he's a douchebag if so.

Back