Opening Week Discussion

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
The season is upon us. We have plenty of injuries to take into account and plenty of new faces in new places. Let's get it started!

My Knicks will be a flat out mess out the gate. We got 3 point guards, none of which can shoot, and no idea who is the starter. They would like it to be Smith Jr, and I think he is super talented and can be great, but had a back issue that kept him out minus the last 2 preseason games, where he looked rusty and prob needs more practice to get himself right. Payton is a solid defender, and creator, but not a shooter, and Frank has yet to show anything but being able to defend at this level.

I do like our roster, but our core is very very young (Smith, RJ, Knox, Trier, Robinson, even Randle).

I do think RJ starts at the 2, Randle at the 3, Morris at the 4. I’d like Mitch to be the starting 5, and I think they are leaning that way, but it’s possible they go with Portis, trying to keep Mitch’s fouls down. The problem with this lineup no matter who the PG is will be outside shooting. RJ can make shots but is better getting to the rim, Randle is capable but again better inside or off the dribble. Morris would prob be their best 3 pt shooter on the floor. It’s a possibility they start Knox to give them some spacing, or even Ellington, but then it’s at the expense of RJ. Having Knox, Trier, Dotson (who I like and he balled last year) coming off the bench will provide ample scoring to go along w the defense of Frank, Gibson, etc.

Just expect a slow start w a lot being expected on RJ and all the new faces, and trying to figure out their best lineups and rotations and how to divide the minutes. They have players, just a question of who plays best with who.

I haven’t seen it yet. However If the line isn’t triple digits tomorrow I’m taking Orlando

Sigh, and it begins. Mitchell Robinson sprained his ankle in practice, probably won’t play in tomorrow’s opener for NY against the spurs. There’s talk about wanting to play RJ and Trier together, not sure if that means at the 2 and 3 or 1 and 2.

Quick summation of the LA Showdown.

There is a pretty big difference between these teams. Yes, no Kuzma but obviously no George on the other side and that is big difference. Obviously I focused on Davis a lot tonight.... stop having him inbound the ball all the time. He is always trailing the play. In the 1st half even though he was kinda sloppy his post plays were getting him to the line and late in half making some shots. The 2h he basically got the ball at top of key other than maybe 4-5 post-ups. As far as Lebron... he had energy early but fizzled late for sure. Danny Green kept this from being a 20 point Clipper win.

Now I realize how scary this Clips team is. You got a passionate defender in Beverley, an energy guy in Harrell, a robot in Kawhi, and Mr. buckets in Lou Will. They even have an all-star on the bench. The moment I saw the Lakers bring in Dudley, Cook, and Daniels on the court, they were toast. Even with AD, everyone's just standing around when Lebron has the ball. It's as if he never left Cleveland. On the bright side, Lakers look much better without Lebron (-8) on the court.

Someone help me out, is Rondo hurt yet again, trying to figure out why he didn’t play tonight. I’m assuming he got hurt in preseason and I just didn’t see that. Lakers need him running the point bc not only does he defend, but he gets everyone in the right spots and distributes the ball where it needs to go, and he’s got good chemistry w both bron and AD.

Now I realize how scary this Clips team is. You got a passionate defender in Beverley, an energy guy in Harrell, a robot in Kawhi, and Mr. buckets in Lou Will. They even have an all-star on the bench. The moment I saw the Lakers bring in Dudley, Cook, and Daniels on the court, they were toast. Even with AD, everyone's just standing around when Lebron has the ball. It's as if he never left Cleveland. On the bright side, Lakers look much better without Lebron (-8) on the court.
Good analysis. I definitely was mystified at the standing around. Also, where is this VAUNTED pick n roll with Bron n Brow?

Good analysis. I definitely was mystified at the standing around. Also, where is this VAUNTED pick n roll with Bron n Brow?

Definitely got outcoached as well. They didn't use their length to their advantage after the first quarter and Lebron tried to muscle his way in the fourth. He's a step too slow nowadays and couldn't bully his way inside against the Clips' frontcourt. The guy needs to trust his teammates more not named Cook and Daniels.

Keep an eye out on Lebron's +/- this season. He was at times one of the worst players in the league when it came to this stat on back a few years ago in his PRIME.

He's not even in the conversation anymore for best player in the world. Still looks a shell of his former self.

Anyway.

The Hornet's team returns no one who is a legit DD scorer. Where do the points come from? I suspect they're finally tanking but who knows. Bulls should win easily.

And I think if you fade the Nets everytime Irving starts/healthy you will profit. Team had a ton of heart last year and Russel played at a level that Irving is incapable of in terms of scoring/passing/defense. The later 2 being things Irving has no clue how to do. Wolves win SU.

Keep an eye out on Lebron's +/- this season. He was at times one of the worst players in the league when it came to this stat on back a few years ago in his PRIME.

He's not even in the conversation anymore for best player in the world. Still looks a shell of his former self.

Anyway.

The Hornet's team returns no one who is a legit DD scorer. Where do the points come from? I suspect they're finally tanking but who knows. Bulls should win easily.

And I think if you fade the Nets everytime Irving starts/healthy you will profit. Team had a ton of heart last year and Russel played at a level that Irving is incapable of in terms of scoring/passing/defense. The later 2 being things Irving has no clue how to do. Wolves win SU.
Excellent takes all around.

My Knicks will be a flat out mess out the gate. We got 3 point guards, none of which can shoot, and no idea who is the starter. They would like it to be Smith Jr, and I think he is super talented and can be great, but had a back issue that kept him out minus the last 2 preseason games, where he looked rusty and prob needs more practice to get himself right. Payton is a solid defender, and creator, but not a shooter, and Frank has yet to show anything but being able to defend at this level.

I do like our roster, but our core is very very young (Smith, RJ, Knox, Trier, Robinson, even Randle).

I do think RJ starts at the 2, Randle at the 3, Morris at the 4. I’d like Mitch to be the starting 5, and I think they are leaning that way, but it’s possible they go with Portis, trying to keep Mitch’s fouls down. The problem with this lineup no matter who the PG is will be outside shooting. RJ can make shots but is better getting to the rim, Randle is capable but again better inside or off the dribble. Morris would prob be their best 3 pt shooter on the floor. It’s a possibility they start Knox to give them some spacing, or even Ellington, but then it’s at the expense of RJ. Having Knox, Trier, Dotson (who I like and he balled last year) coming off the bench will provide ample scoring to go along w the defense of Frank, Gibson, etc.

Just expect a slow start w a lot being expected on RJ and all the new faces, and trying to figure out their best lineups and rotations and how to divide the minutes. They have players, just a question of who plays best with who.

I think with the subpar shooting at the guard position and Barret being a inconsistent gunner himself you might see them lose games big. Agree that there's talent and a solid future but they need to figure out who handles the ball.

Looking at the Spurs tonight.

Anyway.

Agree on bulls. Hornets banking that Rozier becomes a stud and Bridges makes a big leap.

Everyone is so high on the Nets. I don’t see it. DLo was a huge reason why they surprised last year, and Kyrie has yet to prove he can lead without Lebron. Maybe when KD is back assuming he’s healthy but not this year

I think with the subpar shooting at the guard position and Barret being a inconsistent gunner himself you might see them lose games big. Agree that there's talent and a solid future but they need to figure out who handles the ball.

Looking at the Spurs tonight.

My thoughts exactly. Their conundrum will be who can space the floor. It’s like you almost have to give Ellington, Knox, Dotson big minutes bc they are the only 3 pt threats. I think RJ can develop into a shooter but it’s not his strength. It’s gonna take them time to figure out rotations. Tough opening stretch too tonight in SA and a b2b at Brooklyn then home for Boston. 5 of first 6 against playoff teams.

Bagley out 4-6 weeks with thumb fracture. There goes my season bet.

:thumbsdown3:

There’s no substitute for watching the games. The Wolves should absolutely destroy the Bobcats. No way they shoot like that from 3 again. A game where they trailed by 10 too with 6 minutes left.

Hopefully it takes Vegas a few weeks to find out The Warriors are not a strong team this year. Clips -1 was a steal, and I hope we see more of that...

NOLA playing a public underdog in the Mavs. Off a loss with a big opener crowd expect them to get the win.

Bulls again? Ugh. Killed me Wed.

Wolves, as stated before.

Would think LAC - Under are correlated here. On the under, and a bit on the parlay. Phx b2b off OT and travel, with no Rubio. Not sure the clips will be up for this game off 2 marquee wins

Suns do play good defense but are very good on offense and the history of those teams does not point at a under

A small bet on under in Dallas would make some sense. I am not making the bet but under refs and Portland is looking at Spurs the next day

Back