NBA thoughts and plays playoffs 18-19 season

divol

The Spurs can suck my manhood
Will try to post my thoughts and plays here. Unfortunately, been dealing with a huge lack of time the last six months and not sure it will change in the next three months as well, but will try my best, because I love NBA playoffs (and a huge basketball fan overall).

Was going to post before the games started (and make bets accordingly), but simply didn't have a chance to do that, so some thoughts on the series, will be after Game 1 was played...

Sixers - Nets

I think it can be a series. Wanted to make medium size bet on Nets ATS in Game 1, but, lack of time and all...
In general Nets are easily the hardest rival teams seeded 1-3 could get. Nets got a win at least against everyone of them (and overall 6 - 10 SU and 8 - 8 ATS against the first 4 seeds), despite having huge injuries problem all season long.
They are well coached, not too talented, but very deep and the coach manages to get the best quality of each player - everyone stick to what they know - very hard thing to achieve in 2018-19 NBA...
Nets won Game 1 and that makes it much more difficult to bet on them in the rest of the games, because I do believe that Sixers more talented and have better chance to go to the next round, but my prediction was 4 - 2 or 4 - 3 in Sixers favor and with Nets stealing HCA, 4 - 3 maybe more likely.
Sixers had a terrible game behind the arc in Game 1 and Nets took full advantage of that. Doubt this will happen again, but Brown will have to figure out how he uses Simmons in the playoffs, where coaches prepare for each game and will be looking to take advantage of Simmons weak spots and take away his strong ones...

Toronto - Orlando

Had this series as a sweep for the Raptors or 4 - 1, so Magic win tonight caught me off guard.
Toronto changed a lot, but somehow, again, come playoffs... manages to shit the bed...
Magic been doing surprisingly well all season long, so it wouldn't be right for them to lose in a sweep after fighting so hard to get to the playoffs.
This season, Toronto struggled in three out of 4 games against the Magic, losing 3 games ATS and two SU - despite being favorite in all four games. While their wins were by 2 and 12 points, their losses to Orlando were by 29 and 15 points (!!!) - so maybe there is more to this series than I thought.
Having said that, Orlando may give Raptors hard time, but I still think that 4 - 1 for the Raptors can happen, but Magic can win this series ATS wise...
Will see the line for Game 2...

Denver - San Antonio

In two out of 8 series I predicted a possible surprise and this is one of them. Denver very deep and well coached team, but poor defense can be against them and Spurs still a smart team that can take advantage of that. Jokic can't guard LMA and not sure if Millsap can either, because LMA is higher than him and can shoot over him or take him to the post...
Both teams are very good home teams and this season, team team won all four games. Assuming home court will be dominating this series as well, I trust Pop to be able to get at least one win in Denver.
I predicted 4 - 2 in Spurs favor and wanted to bet accordingly... But Spurs won in Game 1 already, making it very hard to bet on them in Game 2... Will hope for Nuggets win in Game 2 and then to take Spurs in Game 3 or 4 (depends on the line).

GSW - LA Clippers

This series looks like a 4 - 0 sweep for the Dubs. Don't know about the line, since I assume it will be big and I hate betting DD lines, but this is the easiest series to predict out of all 8...

Boston - Indiana

Pacers lost their chances the moment Oladipo went down and while they managed to carry one the momentum for some time and brought Matthews to replace him, it will not be enough.
Still, having said that, I don't think it will be a sweep and I can see Pacers even winning it ATS wise.
Pacers well coached, play very well together and a team that can play great defense and that alone should worth at least one win, maybe two. If we add Celtics instability and the fact that too many times they played horrible, it shouldn't be a walk in a park for them.
I expect series with many games of low score and at least 2 - 3 games being really close and decided in the final minute.
I doubt we will see a surprise, but Pacers should get 1 - 3 wins here...
Will go with Boston winning it 4 - 2 SU, but Pacers covering 4 games spread wise...

Portland - Oklahoma

Huge fan of RW and I know I'm a minority here :)
I think he is not one in a generation type of player, but rather a one in a history type of player. Obviously has his minuses (a lot of them), but for me, one of the most fun players to watch and I like players that play many games as if it's their last game and giving it all and he is one of them.
He also proved that a superstar can play and shine with him, since PG13 had the best season of his career and while RW is the star of the team, he had no problem supporting PG's MVP and he is the best player in Oklahoma and RW has no problem with that.
They still can be a bit all over the place and still can struggle hugely behind the arc, but in my eyes, they are the third best team in the West and should make it at least to the second round (and bookies agree with me).
Portland lost a lot with Nurkic going down, but Kanter is now the third best player on the team and it will be fun to watch him return to OKC and play against his mustache brother, Adams...
Portland deserves the chance to finally get a win in the postseason, after getting swept in the first round two previous seasons, but I doubt they will be able to win the series. 4 - 2 for the Thunder, maybe even winning two games in Portland and losing one at home...
The fact that Thunder owned them this season 4 - 0 both SU and ATS, shouldn't help Blazers confidence either...

Milwaukee - Detroit

Detroit limped to the playoffs and really didn't impress too much. Blake been struggling with injuries and while Detroit are talented, they just not good enough, deep enough and honestly, don't seem to care enough about winning to threat the Bucks. Out of 16 teams in the playoffs, Detroit deserves it the least in my eyes (I assume BAR will disagree). One of the least interesting teams in my eyes... Bucks won them 4 - 0 SU and 3 - 1 ATS, winning by DD in three of the games.
Bucks also hungry enough and motivated enough, not to take the foot of the gas in this series. It's been almost 20 years since Bucks managed to win a playoffs series and the first time getting first place in the East for almost 50 years...
4 - 0 or 4 - 1 and Bucks can win most of them by DD as well...

Houston - Utah

Have no idea what will happen here. Last year, they met in the second round and Rockets won 4 - 1 - Jazz will need to show, they learned from that series and know how to avoid the same mistakes. Two of the teams I have the hardest time to cap and will see a game or two before making any predictions.

I expected low scoring series between Celts and Pacers but it was too low even for my estimations...

Few quick thoughts:

Very good chance that all three series that are in play tonight will be tied 1 - 1, but not in a hurry to bet on it. Bookies obviously expect all three to bounce back and the lines are set accordingly and that takes the edge of the bets tonight.
Toronto should even the series, but after struggling against Magic in four out of five games this season, very hard to place any money on double digits win here.
Pop and Spurs will continue to play smart and they know that their job is not done yet. They can break Denver if they make it 2 - 0... Small lean to the Under here - since Spurs should do whatever they can to low the score down here and Denver have to play some D...
Thunder swept Blazers in the regular season, but not sure it means all that much... Thunder should go to the next round, but they can be unstable and they need to learn to stop Kanter. Thunder should win Game 2, but they are given almost even line and on the road, can't see enough value to back them.

Will probably by on Thunder and Spurs in Game 3...

Three games tonight:

Boston - Indiana

I continue to expect low score here, but it's kind of scarry to bet on the Under, when in Game 1 the score was that low. Still... I believe that Pacers best chance is to play slow pace game and play very good D to have a chance.
Boston needs to focus on their defense and after Game 1, they should feel comfortable with low scoring game as well.
Pacers are a decent and well coached team. I believe they will execute game plan much better tonight.
Should be something like 97 - 93 type of game.
Pacers +8, 1.95 odds - 5 units play
Under 207 points, 1.98 odds - 5 units play

Milwaukee - Detroit

I like the Bucks again here, but I hate betting high lines and that's why I will sit out. Still... Detroit should struggle mightly to steal a game in this series and probably struggle to even keep it close.
Blake's injury and the overall feeling that Detroit really been very mediocre at best the final third of the season...

Houston - Utah

It's Houston or nothing for me, but will sit this one out. Crazy series, but Houston looked really focused in Game 1...

Best of luck everybody!!!

Thanks mate and yes, that was brutal... At least I got the result almost correct (and the overall score exactly :) )

San Antonio - Denver

As I said before Game 2, regardless of the outcome, I will be on the Spurs in Game 3 and the outcome of Game 2 and the line both help this decision. I expect an easy win for the Spurs, but to lay only 4 points, adds confidence, without a doubt.
After Game 1, Spurs are in control of the series and Game 3 is crucial in my eyes, even more than Game 4. Denver on the road, is not the same as Denver at home and Spurs at home are a stronger team as well.
I always believe that home court is much more important for benches and young players and that should help Spurs a lot. The fact that they came close to winning Game 2, shows me also, that their gameplan is working and I will stick with them.
Spurs -4, 2.00 odds - 7 units play

Sixers - Brooklyn

We seen both sides of Sixers team in Game 1 and Game 2 and it's very hard to tell what to expect here. Nets will always fight hard and should stick to their game plan, but Sixers are just much more talented, so if their three point shots will fall, Nets can't stop them. Sixers obviously will try to take back the lead in the series in this game, but not sure if they will be able to do that.
Gut feeling, it should be at least 6 games series, so Nets will get at least one win till the end of the series.
Good chance I will back the losing team tonight, in Game 4.
Skip.

LA Clippers - GSW

Too many questions here, mostly about mental state of both teams. There is something wrong with the Dubs this season, hard to understand what's exactly, can only speculate.
Easy skip for me, but if GSW doesn't cover tonight, good chance I will back them in Game 4.

Orlando - Toronto

I had this series as 4 - 0 or 4 - 1 in Toronto favor, but expected them to sweat to get each win. Instead, a shocking loss in Game 1 and easy win in Game 2, so it's hard to predict. Can easily see it still being 4 - 1 in Raps favor, but ATS wise, Magic are the more logical choice, since it covers both Magic win and Raps winning in close game. But, not getting a feel of the series, so will stay away here.

Indiana - Boston

Didn't expect to see Pacers as 3 points favorites here, but that's what playing Game 3 at home off two losses gets you...
Don't see much value on them as such favorites, but don't want to back Boston either. After convincing win in Game 1, they played mediocre in Game 2 and Boston been like that all season long. Can easily fall in Game 3 or 4 to the Pacers...
Skip

Oklahoma City - Portland

Was going to back the Thunder, but Portland played very well in both games and the line is pretty big. If it was 6 points or lower, probably would have taken the Thunder, but will probably skip the bet. Maybe will take a small bet on Thunder to win the series, if the odds will be good...
Hard series to cap, since Thunder owned Portland in the regular season, but in the playoffs things look totally different. I also a big fan of RW and like the Thunder overall...
Blazers on the road struggle, but Lillard really stepped his game up on both sides of the floor and if he can keep Portland in a game long enough, Stotts has a chance to find the right players to play alongside him.
This is a big battle between two coaches, since both team are lacking depth and should find the right minutes to rest the stars, the ways to use bench players and find the hot hands.
CTG doesn't known for their love for either coach, but I feel they did solid job overall.
Hope Thunder win and we will see lower line in Game 4...

Best of luck everybody!

Very short on time, so didn't check anything and no bets as well. Just few short thoughts:

Nets - Sixers

Line is about 1.5 points shorter than I hoped ans plus, Sixers gained some steam, so hard to bet on the Nets.
Still, it's Nets or nothing for me. They are tough and few beatings won't let them down. They played sixers well few times and I believe they can go to Philly tied.
Skip

Detroit - Milwaukee

Bucks obvious favorites, but DD favorites in Game 3 on the road... can't believe I'm saying this, but Pistons were for a second an option for me...
That alone enough for me to skip here, but seriously - Pistons or nothing here...
They will play for their pride and can turn it in to a game...

Utah - Houston

I really like the way Rockets turned it on this post season. No way I'm going against them and no way I'm fading Utah in such spot.
Easy skip

Best of luck everybody!

Sometimes no play is the best play...thoughts are like mine here as far as pregame bets go.

Still don't have enough time, since I'm travelling in Europe whole week, but managed to read a bit - but take with caution...

Oklahoma - Portland

Both things I hoped, happened. Thunder won and line is 5.5 points.
On top of that, Thunder won, but left me with a feeling, they can play a lot better. There are few more shifts in their gear and given the importance of tonight's game, I feel it should be an easy win for them.
I expect Portland to play a bit worse and Thunder role players a lot better.
Thunder -5.5, 1.95 odds - 7 units play

Will add thoughts on other games later on...

Best of luck everybody!

Very poor game by the Thunder. Portland won every single quarter...
If Thunder lose again in the first round, they need to do some serious thinking...

SA Spurs - Denver

Really short on time, but I like the Spurs here. This one has Game 7 written all over...
Everything can happen, bur I trust Pop to win this one and I like the line.
Spurs -3, 1.95 odds, 8 units play.

Best of luck everybody!

No bets today, just thoughts.

Denver - SA Spurs

Very tough game to bet on. I believe in the Spurs. The line is pretty high and the experience here is one sided and so is coach advantage.
On the other hand, home court advantage is big in this series and the numbers support home teams in Game 7...
I see it as 50/50 kind of game and while 6 points is a lot for such a game, it can easily be a blow out, should Denver wins.
Small value on the Spurs for me, but not enough to make it official.

Toronto - Sixers

3 - 1 in Toronto's favor in regular season, but it doesn't mean much. Both teams made changes close to trade deadline that can really come to play match up wise (especially Gasol - Embid).
On top of that, Toronto and Sixers both really unpredictable.
I think that after 1-2 games it will be easier series to read...

Besr of luck everybody!

GSW - Houston

Very hard series to predict. I fully believe that if CP3 was healthy, Houston would have managed to get to the Finals last year. Since than, on paper, Houston got weaker and GSW got stronger, but that's only on paper.
Harden managed to take his play on another level and Houston with the Bucks looked most playoff ready team in the first round. While Bucks did it against the weakest team out of the 16 that made it to the playoffs, Houston managed to beat Utah much easier than most expected.
On the other hand, GSW looked bad and when you drop 2 out of 3 games at home to the Clippers, there is something wrong...
Can the Dubs find another level of their game, facing stronger opponent than the Clips? Very hard to tell.
Anyway, with Curry and Klay slightly injured and given the amazing form Rockets are in, it's Rockets or nothing in Game 1 for me, but I hate betting on Game 1, so easy skip.
As for the series, Houston can make it a series, but I hate betting on Rockets games. Very hard team to read.
I think that Rockets defense can handle Dubs, so it will be Dubs defense on Rockets and Harden that should decide the series and the totals here.
Gut feeling is that Dubs win it very easy or Rockets pull an upset and go all the way to NBA Finals (either Dubs will be focused and find a game plan against the Rockets or Rockets will manage to win it).
For now, skip.

Milwaukee - Boston

I think that while Boston struggled against the Pacers, they still managed to sweep the series and people ignore it a bit. Also, Kyrie is a champion and the one that scored the title winning shot and experience do matters.
Bucks are the best team in the East, but Boston can easily match up against them, talent, depth and coaching wise. Boston managed to get to ECF Finals last year and both Hayward and Kyrie starting to show why they can make the difference this season.
Boston with 3.69 odds to win the series got value, big value even. It's crazy this the value on a series that is 50 - 50 on neutral court, maybe even 55 - 45 in Boston's favor.
Brogdon's absence can be huge in this series and Gasol, the one that should have brought the experience is out as well. Bledsoe left alone against Kyurie with Hill helping, but Boston is very deep. They got enough bodies to throw at Greek Freak, they also have enough players to find the hot five to close the game and even without Smart, they have so many guards, that they can exploit Bucks weakness in guards position.
On top of that, not sure who can take care of the paint for the Bucks. Greek Freak can't do it all... It looks like he can, but he can't do everything... Mirotic and Ilyasova very poor defenders and Lopez never been a good defender as well. The fact that he is suddenly Bucks big hope of defense, says a lot more about Bucks problems, than it is about Lopez ability do defend...
I took Boston for 3.69 here personally for 10 units, but since I'm planning to hedge, won't make it official play and will only post official plays on the games themselves.
I also do believe that Boston +7.5 got value, but not betting on Game 1, as I said it many times.

Toronto - Philadelphia

It's very hard to trust the Raptors in the playoffs, but since the loss to Orlando in Game 1, they looked well. It's hard to expect Kawhi and Pascal to repeat their stats from Game 1, but it's also hard to believe that Canadian bench will score again only 10 points. The same can be said about Lowry and Raps overall poor shooting from behind the arc. Kawhi at his best (and he appears that way) is easily Top 5 player in the league (both sides of the floor contribution wise) and by far the best player on the floor.
Sixers on the other hand, have a lot of issues to solve. Gasol is a very smart defender and can play on offense both in the paint and on the three point line. He can pass, he can shoot, he can rebound. In his age, he is not on Embid's level of course, but he is very hungry and hoping to reach NBA Finals and he can frustrate Embid (and Ibaka is the ultimate replacement for Gasol, as far as giving hard time to Embid goes).
On top of that, Raps have many good defenders on wings and took full advantage of Sixers lack of depth on the bench. I believe that Brown should start Redick or Harris on the bench in favor of TJ/ Ennis. It's very hard to win games, when you have no one that can come off the bench and make a difference.
Powell, Ibaka and VanVleet are better than anything Sixers bench has to offer and that's a huge problem for the Sixers.
Btw, I don't get how Bolden and Korkmaz got dd minutes in such a game... Shouldn't be anywhere near the floor...

That being said, it's too early to count out the Sixers (though after game 1, I believe at the moment, that momentum and talent and depth all in Raps favor).
Sixers still got Simmons and Embid - two players that are special and can turn it on (though Simmons can lose as much as win for his team) and their starters are still better than Raps starters. Kawhi is best player on the floor, but we can easily say that 2-4 places belong to Embid, Butler and Simmons, before Lowry and Gasol...
On top of that, Harris is usually a player you can count on to be solid and was terrible in Game 1 and still... Sixers fell only by 12 points.
If he and Butler find their three pointers (2 from 7 in Game 1), it will be much much harder to guard Simmons and Sixers in their best, can really turn it on offense.

Bottom line, gun to the head, I would go with the Raptors in Game 2 and Sixers in Game 3, but for now skip (if Raps win and cover tonight and the line will be not higher than 5 points in Game 3, will be on the Sixers).

Skip.

Denver - Portland

It's so hard to believe that out of the amazingly talented and deep West, either Denver or Portland (without Nurk) will be in the WCF, but that's a fact. Both teams deserve it. I personally been waiting the entire second half of the season for the other shoe to drop on both, but they managed to get 2nd and 3rd seed in the West and now getting rewarded for that.
This is very even series, with both teams owning their home floor. In the last 4 seasons, SU wise, the stats are 8 - 8, but Denver managed to win in Portland much more recently than Portland in Denver. Portland managed to get past the Thunder much due to home court advantage and I think the same can be said for Denver.
It will be very hard for Portland to win this series, mostly because they will probably need to win at least two games in Denver.
I think that Denver -1.5 games and the 2.71 odds got value, but not enough for me to bet on.
Denver -4 tonight got some value, but not going near Game 1 and even if I were, would have hoped for at least -3 (one possession).
I believe that Portland will struggle a lot with the fact that they don't have someone solid to guard Jokic and the fact that they don't have anyone that should really make him work on the other side of the floor.
It should be very high scoring game/ series and overall, it should be guards series. All four games this season went Over the total and I expect the same in the series.
Will change my approach betting wise on Game 1, in total favor.
Over 215 points, 1.90 odds - 5 units play

Best of luck everybody!

Milwaukee - Boston

I think that while Boston struggled against the Pacers, they still managed to sweep the series and people ignore it a bit. Also, Kyrie is a champion and the one that scored the title winning shot and experience do matters.
Bucks are the best team in the East, but Boston can easily match up against them, talent, depth and coaching wise. Boston managed to get to ECF Finals last year and both Hayward and Kyrie starting to show why they can make the difference this season.
Boston with 3.69 odds to win the series got value, big value even. It's crazy this the value on a series that is 50 - 50 on neutral court, maybe even 55 - 45 in Boston's favor.
Brogdon's absence can be huge in this series and Gasol, the one that should have brought the experience is out as well. Bledsoe left alone against Kyurie with Hill helping, but Boston is very deep. They got enough bodies to throw at Greek Freak, they also have enough players to find the hot five to close the game and even without Smart, they have so many guards, that they can exploit Bucks weakness in guards position.
On top of that, not sure who can take care of the paint for the Bucks. Greek Freak can't do it all... It looks like he can, but he can't do everything... Mirotic and Ilyasova very poor defenders and Lopez never been a good defender as well. The fact that he is suddenly Bucks big hope of defense, says a lot more about Bucks problems, than it is about Lopez ability do defend...
I took Boston for 3.69 here personally for 10 units, but since I'm planning to hedge, won't make it official play and will only post official plays on the games themselves.
I also do believe that Boston +7.5 got value, but not betting on Game 1, as I said it many times.

Good read.

GSW - Houston

I think that today's game is first of all about the mental state. Mental state of the Rockets and mental state of the refs.
Rockets focus on the refs, can either help them get the whistles or it can back fire. Players should look at themselves and try to improve and win, not to wait for others to do it for them. It gave Rockets an excuse to lose and it can easily be inside their heads. They will test the refs and if the whistles won't go their way again, it can frustrate and lead to blowout.
On top of that, GSW can also feel they don't get enough credit for the win. The only thing everyone talked about after the game, was the refs...
I understand Rockets and their focus, trying to shift league's mind about the calls they make and we all seen that the refs were a bit in GSW favor, but that's mostly (in my opinion) because they don't want to bail out players for poor offense in the playoffs and don't want to be the focus of things (obviously that didn't work). If Rockets got to the foul line 15 - 20 more times, everyone would be talking about Harden and how he is looking for contact and how refs gave the win to the Rockets...
If I was sure about Rockets state of mind, I would have been on them for sure.
But I don't know how much their head is in the game and focused on the win and if they don't get it together, it can be a sweep all of a sudden...
The thing is, that team vs team, Rockets can win best out of 7 games series, even with Dubs home court advantage.
As I said already, Rockets defense is ok against GSW offense, they just need their offense to match.
Hope Rockets win tonight and bring a lot more drama in to this series...
As I said already, Rockets defense is ok and that points very strongly towards the Under, but I hate betting Under after very easy Under - always feels like a trap.
Skip.

Milwaukee - Boston

We all seen Nets and Magic win in Game 1 in the first round and even Sixers turning things around yesterday. We should know that one game is just one game. On the other hand, Bucks best moments in Game 1, were with Giannis on the bench and Boston suddenly didn't know what's the game plan is. As long as Giannis played, they were fine and found the answers (Giannis -24 - highest minus on the floor). Giannis is not a Center. Everytime he is battling in the paint against big players, it seems unfair to him. That gets him tired and frustrated. Baynes and Horford did a hell of a job guarding him and that's why it's crucial if Baynes plays.
Coach Bud shocked me with line ups with Lopez, Mirotic and Ilyasova. I think that such a line up is too slow, soft and big to play Boston.
Bucks will live and die behind three point line. Anytime that Boston scores the same number (or higher) of three pointers or shoots at better percentage, it will really surprise me to see Bucks cover or even win.
Boston's plan was not to let Giannis beat them and Boston used Bucks own weapon. They are fast enough, high enough and strong enough to close the paint and still almost manage to get back to the player they are defending. That means that Bucks players do have open looks, but not more than a split of a second. You hesitate or you lack a bit of confidence and you don't get another chance and there is little time to start a new offense.
You could also see that Giannis wanted to prove himself. This is the first time he is on the big stage, best player on the team with the best record and tons of expectations. You can see him struggling and trying to find the right balance. That's usually something that takes time. Kyrie for example, learned to switch it on. He can get rid of the ball and you don't see him doing anything for 2 - 3 minutes and suddenly in the end, 6 - 7 last attacks of the game, hardly anyone other than him touches the ball.
LeBron helped him with that and Giannis needs to learn how to do the same. When to feed your teammates and when to carry the team on his back.
You can't not mention Al Horford after Game 1. The defense on Giannis is one thing, the two blocks he gave him is another thing, but 20 points and 16 shots?! There were moments, that his number of touches of the ball resembled LeBron or Kobe. He shot every offense or every other offense for very long stretches. Any game where he and Giannis contribute more or less the same, Boston will win.
Bucks surprised me that they didn't have a game plan against Kyrie and Horford doing their thing. They done it all season long and Bucks gambled on Horford missing open looks from midrange??? Very surprising. They maybe needed to switch to zone defense or try putting Giannis on Kyrie in the first place, but it looked as if they didn't even try to stop that game between Kyrie and Horford...
Bucks obviously can get back to the series, but I don't see any reason to back them for the series or for the game (SU or ATS wise).
Bucks need to shoot the ball better, try to find more options of play with Giannis on the floor (maybe use him as decoy, maybe screen for him to get smaller defender, but they insisted to put him on Baynes/ Horford, expecting to take advantage of his speed, not realizing that the whole Boston team was guarding Giannis, not one player.
Bucks turn to react, but if they will try to do more of the same in Game 2, the result will be the same as Game 1, even if Baynes is out.
Lean Boston, but respect Coach Bud enough to skip it and stay with my Boston for the series bet...
Skip

Best of luck everybody!

Denver - Portland

Still believe in Denver for the series and the Over. Took Over 217, but would have taken the Over 219 points currently offered - but maybe at the moment, Over 112 points for Denver makes more sense.
Denver average of 115 points against the Blazers this season and scored 112+ points in 4 out of 5 games and in all three home games (averaging 118.7 points at home).
They scored 113 points at home this season on average (including against Western rivals) and I don't see it changing.
The reason for the low totals was the really low scoring series against the Spurs, but Blazers not that kind of a team.
I still don't see how Portland slows the pace or why should they and I still don't see how they stop Jokic. Both teams feel comfortable in high pace and open court.
I see it as 121 - 107 type of game.
Denver Over 112 points, 1.95 odds - 7 units play

Best of luck everybody!

Didn't see the game, but with such a poor shooting behind three point line, the whole Denver offense scheme goes out the window...
Denver, Bucks and Rockets are the three teams that need their three pointers to go in to win.
Dubs with KD finally managed to get out of that three point line dependence...
Need to think how it effects the series going forward...

Philadelphia - Toronto

Didn't see either of the games so far in the series, but looking at the stats, my opinion hasn't changed. Philly got a shot and very talented, but Toronto in better position here and match ups wise, should be ok and win the series. But, at 1 - 1, the 1.50 odds bookies offer on the Raps for the series just not good enough. Wonder what will happen if Sixers wins tonight... will we see even odds on the Raptors?
Sixers won Game 2 and that could shift the balance a bit. Sixers at home can beat any team, but they still struggle to get Embid involved and without him, they can't win the series. Embid in Game 2 was horrible. 6 rebounds, 12 points on terrible percentage and 6 turnovers... Sixers scored in Game 2 that they won, even less than they scored in Game 1 that they lost, but managed to get their stops and used Raptors horrible shooting night.
I believe that Raps will go back to Canada either leading 3 - 1 or tied 2 - 2. If Sixers win tonight, I will be on the Raptors for sure in Game 4. Tonight very hard to say who is favorite and bookies agree.
Gun to the head, I will go with the Raptors, but skip.

Didn't see the game, but with such a poor shooting behind three point line, the whole Denver offense scheme goes out the window...
Denver, Bucks and Rockets are the three teams that need their three pointers to go in to win.
Dubs with KD finally managed to get out of that three point line dependence...
Need to think how it effects the series going forward...
Denver missed around 20 shots inside 2-3 feet of the basket plus a lot of FTs.

The interesting feature of game 2 was Portland started double team the Giant which worked very well

Boston - Milwaukee

I believe that the series will return to Milwaukee either tied 2 - 2 or Boston leading 3 - 1. Bucks are 0 - 6 the last 6 visits to Boston as underdogs and last year, all 7 games between them, ended up with home team winning. Both teams have what it takes, but it's very hard not to like the home team in this series. That's why I didn't back Boston the first two games in Milwaukee and that's why I'm backing them now.
I still believe they have the best coach, they at least as deep as the Bucks, they maybe don't have the best player, but in crucial playoffs game, at this point of their careers, I would pick Kyrie over Giannis.
Bucks lack the needed experience, they have bad memories from TD Garden and I'm not sure that a win in December changed much.
If bet losses, I will go with Boston in Game 4...
With Boston series bet alive, I didn't take too big of a bet here.
Boston -2, 2.01 odds - 6 units play

Portland - Denver

Didn't see Game 2, but still like Denver for the series here. I pretty sure it's was the worst shooting we seen from Denver in a while and I doubt we will see it again.
Kanter this playoffs tries to play defense, but still... I think that Denver is much much deeper and that Jokic will find a way to contribute. Still... a risky play, so will make the bet small on Denver and will be regular size bet if Denver lose.
Percentage teams can't control, but still... can't see any reason for the pace to be slow here as I wrote many times already, so will go with the Over as well...
Over 215 points, 1.95 odds - 7 units play
Denver +4, 1.98 odds - 5 units play

I do wonder how Denver will come out of this one... Jokic has Game 4 in less than 48 hours...

Houston - Golden State

I think that PK would have been more accurate line. I see it as 50/50 game, but somehow, I can easily see Dubs sweeping the series, even if all four games will be close.
Obviously it can also go back to Oakland tied 2 - 2, but I think that GSW doesn't want to drag this series and take the Rockets much more seriously than the Clips.
The main problem with the Rockets is their offense. As I said before, the main question about the Rockets is their offense - since I believed that they can hand with the Dubs on defense and my opinion didn't change.
CP3 hardly contributes and the same about Capella. They are two very important players and that's why even with Gordon playing a great game, it just wasn't enough.
They have to punish the Dubs for small lineups and they just can't do that. They need CP3 to take the load of Harden and fail to do that as well.
I don't know if at home, both players will manage to perform better or not, but I really hope Rockets can make it at least 6 games series...
No matter which game plan works, I like the Under here.
Dubs should look for ways to stop Rockets offense. They are on a road and know they can basically close out the series tonight. They need to take Rockets best punches and stay within the game and the best way to do that, is via defense.
Rockets also can't rely on their offense and should try to improve the defense as much as possible.
I think both teams making to 100+ points, but failing to reach 110 points.
Something like 109 - 105 in favor of one of the teams, sounds about right here.
Under 221 points, 1.95 odds - 6 units play

Best of luck everybody!

It was a bad bet and deserved to lose. I really try not to talk myself in to bets and I rarely do so, but this was one of those bets :(
I still feel like it should be series that will have more Under results than Over, but the total isn't set far from the right one and it's very hard (at the moment) to know which game will go Over or Under...

On to tonight's games:

Portland - Denver

This should be an auto bet on Denver and Over, but it's very hard to pull the trigger here. When you have variable like 4OT game less than 48 hours ago between same teams, it's so hard to know how team/ player will react.
Checked stats few seasons ago and losing teams off 2+ OT games tend to do much better the game after, than winning teams off 2+ OT. Probably that feeling that they could have won, drives them. But... Jokic logged 65 minutes and he is absolutely crucial to the Nuggets.
Still... This is a game that a loss for Denver can mean losing the series and I still feel that they are the better team between the two.
I think that Malone is partially to blame for the loss. I understand him wanting to play with the players that got him to OT, but Denver's strength is in their depth and he should have mixed it up a lot more in the overtime. Maybe even use Thomas on offense against Blazers very tired legs.
As for the total, here it's very hard to tell how the 4ot game will come in to play. Teams can play sloppy defense or they can struggle from long distance and the shots will fall short.
I will probably do same in game betting, after seeing the way teams react to Game 3, but don't want to force bets (Denver and Over) here. 4OT is unknown that is very hard to predict.
Will be on Denver and Over in Game 5 probably though...
Skip

Philadelphia - Toronto

Embid gave his best game of the series and the main question is, can he do that again or not. He played Gasol several times, even when he was still in Memphis and always struggled. What changed? I'm not sure something changed, but as always, sometimes, players catch a hot hand and Embid made few early baskets, got his confidence and never looked back.
This game was one of the best performances by the Sixers and the main question is not if they can repeat that (because they probably can't), but can they play at least at 90% of that level and if so, will it be enough to win.
Raptors need to do some thinking. Lowry is a hole on defense and if he doesn't contribute on offense, what's left? Ibaka and Gasol were terrible and maybe they should switch them and start with Serge and bring Gasol off the bench. Ibaka lacks confidence coming off the bench and Gasol is a smart player and giving him few minutes to watch Embid, may help his defense. He is also older and maybe it's better for him to get Embid, when he is a bit tired.
Also, I think that Sixers won the game in first quarter already. Yes, they lead only 32 - 29 after first 12 minutes, but while Brown went deep in to his rotation already in the first quarter, Nurse mostly reacted to things on the floor and usually a bit too late. That lead to Sixers managing to get both their stars (Embid and Jimmy) the needed rest in first quarter, but also to hold the lead and Sixers never looked back from there.
I don't know Nurse well enough to guess, how much did he learn from Game 3 and how much will he change things up. One thing is clear, it's Raptors turn to react and while I expect them to do just that, the odds are just not good enough for me to gamble on that. After three games we seen, Sixers at home, should be small favorites and that's exactly where they at.
Maybe if I see Nurse reacting the right way and the line getting to 4 - 5 points, I will see value in small bet on the Raptors, but easy skip for me.
Skip.

Houston - Golden State

Very good series so far. Basketball, mediocre at best, but a lot of drama in each game and all games could have gone either way. Media attention also gives the feeling that this is the "real" NBA Finals...
I was a big believer in the Rockets before the series, but two losses after very hard battles, lead to the feeling that Rockets maybe a bit down motivation wise. But they proved it's not the case and the feeling (mine at least) is that despite Rockets being down 1 - 2 and not having home court advantage, they are in control of the series. A win here, will put a huge pressure on the Dubs to win in Game 5 and Rockets already proved they can take advantage of that. Also, not really sure what's going on with Curry's injury, but he isn't looking good and Durant is carrying the team. On that note, it's very important to point out that despite the decline in both Iggy and Draymond, this is the moment they prove their value to the team. In the playoffs, both switch to playoff mode and play really well. Green was close to maybe giving the Dubs 3 - 0 lead, if refs would have called charge on Harden on his last play.
I think that Rockets have value here. How much value? Very hard to say.
Harden gave one of the best games I have seen him play. He usually forces his game and last night, he allowed the game to come to him. He was given needed rest and Gordon was there to help him and in the fourth quarter, he was fresh enough to take over the game. If he and D'Antoni can learn from that and repeat such scheme, it will be massive for the Rockets.
Gut feeling is that this is the game that will decide the winner of the series and I think that teams feel the same way.
Gun to the head, I would have taken Rockets, but it's a game I rather watch without bets. Skip.
If Rockets win this one, will be on them in Game 5.

Boston - Milwaukee

Bucks did two main changes, that allowed them to win the last two games and take the lead. On defense they try to handle the P&P between Kyrie and Horford better - not to leave Horford alone and on offense, they simply picked up the pace. They try not to allow Boston to get back to their half court defense and Giannis in transition offense either gets to the basket/ foul line or finds the open man.
That being said, Boston had their chances to win this one and even win it easily. They shot the same percentage as the Bucks from behind the arc and even scored one three pointer more than the Bucks and they got more to the line and shot much much better from the stripe.
But, as many times happens, they missed several momentum shots, while Bucks made their shots - and I believe it was the difference.
Overall, Boston should be fine and they come to tonight's game, with their back to the wall, at home...
I respect the Bucks, but I really doubt they win two in a row in Boston. Hard to argue with the line, but Boston is almost PK and it got some value for sure.
Boston -2, 2.00 odds - 7 units play

Back