NBA Preseason 2013

SF_capper

CTG addict
Gonna be here all season hopefully. Have had profitable preseasons before so looking to keep it going. I definitely think there are opportunities to win preseason games. While its true most teams/players do not care about these games, I think the edges are found in the few that do. All bets -105 juice unless otherwise stated. Lets get it

16-7
+5.19

Last edited:
homer play. Love it. Mark Jackson trotted out his starters for 22+ minutes each last year in the 1st preseason game and those minutes only went up. I think as a general rule, newer/younger coaches/players will care more about preseason. I know Mark cares a lot about creating a culture of winning (explains going undefeated in summer league past 2 years). Talent wise, this isn't close. Excited to see Iggy playing and looks like the guards are all playing for their starting role as Klay is coming off the bench today.

Golden State -7.5 -105- 1.5 units

bad start. Will be playing more smaller units to feel out. Like these. Both teams expecting to tweak their lineups nonstop. Boston sounds like they have a lot to learn with a new system and totally new lineup. They're supposedly trying to run more, but with no real PGs or scorers, not expecting much.

Toronto +3.5- .5 unit
UNDER 189- .5 unit

3 more small ones and should be it for today.

Bulls -2- .5 unit
Clips -1.5- .5 units
Miami/Atlanta UNDER 194.5- .5 unit

Memphis still has depth issues which should be an issue in preseason. New coach, but he's been there as an assistant so I'm not worried about the angle of the new coach. Last year, Memphis played its starters around 15 min in the 1st game. Expect the Bulls to have a similar minute distribution as game 1 and get the W

Clips have ridiculous depth, first game for Doc, Portland is banged up (Aldridge, Mccolum, mo will). Just edge's on every position down the depth chart and good enough for a small bet for me.

Not expecting more than 15 minutes from Miami's big 3. we know what that offense looks like without them. They're emphasizing defense which should still be stellar. Meanwhile, Atlanta trying to implement the new SA offense. Only worry is mannyy Miami points off turnovers, but it shouldn't be enough to get over this total.

Last edited:
Like your Warriors tonight. Off a L and Sac had worst summer league team I can remember . Should be a blowout. Agree on your sides!

Hey Spek. Yes, like them as well, but worried about laying large numbers in preseason especially. Felt pretty dumb laying the number against the Lakers the other day, so would feel worse if it were to happen again and I lose. Will look more into it, especially since I'm going to the game later. I remember discussing preseason hoops with u in previous years, so hopefully we can make some $ this year too,

would lean under and was close, but didn't pull the trigger. The nola/hous shootout scared me, altho they really won't get that kind of production again. Would like 6 points in a preseason stinker, but just don't trust New Orleans' depth esp with tyreke out. However, with harris, calderon, and larkin out, dallas won't have any of its PGs. A Monta at point offense is an ugly one as well.

Surpised the Bobcats are dogged tonight. Like them alot. Hawks off a back to back, figure minutes will be limited for starters tonight. Bobcats should be trying to win games this pre-season with all their new additions. Like the addition of Jefferson, and MKG should be improved this year.

Maybe Bucks Under:

It can be a tedious process but the Milwaukee Bucks are slowly learning Larry Drew's defense a system entirely different to almost every one of them.The majority of Milwaukee's first week of training camp has been focused on installing the defense and Drew feels things are coming along as expected for only having four days of practice."I thought guys did a good job really focusing on everything we put it" Drew said. "It's been a whole lot of teaching going on. They have their playbooks and they are starting to pick it up. I think we're in a good place after a week of practice."Drew spent the end of Friday's practice going over different parts of the defense covering things like pick-and-roll coverages and defending screens. The terminology is new in the defense and has numerous different calls as colors and numbers are used to call out different things. The goal is to have each of the five players on the court reacting on a string when a different number or color is called."The defense from Scott Skiles' system is totally different but it's not difficult" Bucks center Larry Sanders said. "It's habits that we have to break through the last system we've already learned. It's coming along. Guys are catching on and getting it."One area where the Bucks expect to be better defensively is on the perimeter mostly due to the addition of point guard Brandon Knight. There's a commitment level necessary to play defense as a guard in the NBA and Knight seems to have it.Knight has the strength to fight through screens and has the potential to be a very good defender something the Bucks haven't had at the guard position in some time."I think he's a terrific player" Drew said of Knight. "He's strong and he can really defend. Boy he gives us such a weapon on the floor because he's a real defender. He wants to be good defensively. He's had a good four days. He's really done a good job but he's still learning. This kid is still 21 years old."Having a guard who can get through screens will allow the Bucks to do a variety of different things on defense. Knight takes pride in not being afraid to take a blow on a screen and even to deliver some himself.

Maybe Hawks Over. When you focus on running and spreading the floor, jacking up 3s, your defense tends to suffer. Bobcats should be improved offensively this year too.

The Atlanta Hawks ranked fifth in the NBA last season in 3-pointers attempted (1901), averaging 23.2 per game. Look for that to be an even bigger part of the Hawks' offensive philosophy this season.
<offer>
"The Hawks are going to run and spread the floor," Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution wrote on Sunday, adding "Coach Mike Budenholzer has preached movement, both ball and people, during camp."

That much was obvious during the preseason opener against Miami, even in a losing effort and even without the services of two of their top 3-point threats -- Louis Williams (recovering from ACL surgery to his right knee) and John Jenkins (back spasms). Atlanta finished the game making only 4-23 shots, with newcomers Pero Antic (1-6 from 3-point range) and DeMarre Carroll (0-3) both showing a willingness to shoot the long ball. Paul Millsap and rookie point guard Dennis Schroder each missed their only shot attempt from behind the arc.

The point is, expect the 3-ball to continue to fly in Atlanta, with that being a continued emphasis this season and with most players on the roster capable of stepping out and hitting the trifecta. “That is how we are going to play,” Kyle Korver told the newspaper. “Pretty much everyone that we put out there can at least shoot a corner 3. You’ll see Paul (Millsap) and Al (Horford) sliding out there instead of settling for that 17-footer. We are encouraging them to step back for the corner 3. It’s what we do in practice. Everyone is shooting corner 3s. There is no having spacing, giving Jeff and Dennis room to drive the paint. There are shooters all around. This is what we are going to do.”</offer>

Thanks everyone. Awesome 5-0 yesterday. Angry at myself for betting 1.5 on my first bet, but whatever. Will update top post with record as preseason goes along but so far:
5-1
+.92
-_-

Thanks for the input mets. Will be on the Cavs and under in that game. Just too many new pieces for Milwaukee. New coach, and only 4 players from last season. Lost all their guards and have Larry Drew so the pace should be very slow. For cleveland, it looks like Zeller, Bynum, and Gee are out. For Milwaukee, Ekpe, Zaza, and Delfino are out. With Brown out there, you know they've been focusing on defense as mets pointed out. Screw it locking it in. My unit distribution is gonna be all messed up as I try to figure stuff out, but for the most part it'll be 1 unit for most plays with .5 units for strong leans, and 1.5 for plays I really like.

Cleveland -6 -110- 1 unit
Cavs/Bucks UNDER 188- 1 unit

Utah Jazz -2.5- .5 unit

would go full unit, but this line is off. I'm expecting GS to rest some players, as its starters got heavy minutes last night for the home crowd. Am not expecting the same this game. However, utah has 20 players on roster, so will be looking to cut this down and possibly by giving guys heavy looks tonight. I like fading teams on a b2b on the road in preseason. Not a big fan of this bet, but rollin with it

Think nba is referring to Utah's altitude.

Small play on the Bobcats. Atlanta on a b2b on the road. Didn't play their starters too much, altho expecting more of the same tn. Charlotte with solid pieces and actually decent depth. Might actually look to bet them a bit this season. Getting +money was key for this bet lol
​Bobcats +110- .5 unit
---+1- .5 unit
(1 unit total)

Last edited:
Umm, game's being played in Ontario, CA - unless that's above sea level... : )

What made you think I was talking about the lakers game? Just curious. Because it's vs Denver?

i was referring to the jazz game

The warriors bench is not as good as last year, the warriors are playing on a b2b going from sea level where they have been all offseason to high altitude. Plus it's their 3rd game in 4 nights...Jazz haven't played a game yet.

I just realized it's Ontario California.... All this time I was thinking Ontario Canada. Not cool.

Just added .5 a unit on Charlotte at +1 to make it a 1 unit play. Looking like Atlanta will be playing its other bench players a good amount today. Updated post

main game of interest for me is Phoenix and the over. Portland is short so many rotation players (Aldridge, Mo will, CJ, Dorell Wright, Batum) hard to justify them as faves. Wanna wait til closer to tip to see if anyone ends up playing.

main game of interest for me is Phoenix and the over. Portland is short so many rotation players (Aldridge, Mo will, CJ, Dorell Wright, Batum) hard to justify them as faves. Wanna wait til closer to tip to see if anyone ends up playing.

Played the UNDER in this one. Ill came across a few posts that said the Suns and Blazers are focusing on D this preseason. Suns looking to change their identity. Agree on the side though. Suns should be favored.

Like the Grizz OVER as well. Havent pulled the trigger, but Grizz are looking to get up and down a bit more. Need to research that one a bit more...

that's probably something worth monitoring for sure mets. Going with this for now with the Phoenix add later as lineups are announced:

Boston +4.5- .5 unit
-Boston +155- .5 unit

to be marked in the record as 1 bet unless it lands in between

Just see Miami focusing on defense all game, with only their starters capable of offensive production. Do not see Detroit, who still has a lot to figure out, able to score against this team. Will see what they do and should be interesting. Maybe the mismatches on size lead to points each way, but I don't see it that way.

Was leaning to milwaukee to fade a not-that-deep Minnesota team on a b2b in which a starter got hurt (Kevin Martin). Would assume Adelman will pull his horses back and limit Rubio/Pek/Love to under 20 min. However, Milwaukee has its own problems with injuries, esp with Ilyasova going down last game. Too many injuries for me to touch

10-4
+1.29

Orlando +6 +100- 1 unit

Value imo. Dallas bench razor thin, still with no point guard, Brandan Wright just got injured. Like the younger Orlando team here with no real difference bw their starters/bench to win this one

that's what I was thinking nba. Would imagine KG would want to be on the court vs boston so will be limited to like 15 min. everyone else is out

good call nba. definitely gonna look to sixer opponent TT over this season

nice degenerate special:

Golden State -7.5- 1 unit

crap late post. I got on
Dallas +3 - 1 unit

​and was gonna add 1 more at the inflated line. Made no sense to me that the line was going up (ended at 5). I lost track of time, and we'll see.. but with Indi back from China and everyone resting, I did not understand the line or the line move

will be adding Orlando. Whether their starters play will determine my bet size. This jetlag is killin these guys

Josh Robbins@JoshuaBRobbins<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">1m</small>
Magic starters: Nelson, Afflalo, Harkless, Nicholson and Vucevic.

Orlando +5.5- 1.5 units
---ML +200- .5 unit

Chicago -4- 1 unit
Portland +5.5- 1 unit

Back