NBA Preseason 2013

Hawks +4 -110- 1.5 unit

home opener for new coach and expect Pop to let him shine

gonna join you here, bol bud

The Hawks open the home portion of their preseason season tonight and this will be more than exhibition.
When the Hawks host the Spurs, new coach Mike Budenholzer will stand on the opposite side of the court from his mentor Gregg Popovich. Budenholzer spent 19 seasons as a Spurs assistant before taking over the Hawks. Each coach had some interesting things to say about the reunion (the two, along with Hawks GM Danny Ferry had dinner together Wednesday night).
Budenholzer: "Surreal is one word you could use ... seeing him on the opposite bench and all those players that I spent so much time with. But I’m excited and focused on our players and our group and getting us going in the right direction."
Popovich: "I miss him more than anyone else does because I depended on him a lot. In games, he would make suggestions or do things and I wouldn’t know what the hell was going on. He substituted somebody or he changed the defense. I would say ‘Why did we do that?’ He would tell me and I would say ‘Oh yeah, that makes sense. That sounds good. I wish I had thought of it.’ You sort of miss all that. You have to start all over. I’ll have to actually coach more."
As for the game, the Hawks will start their normal unit of Jeff Teague, Kyle Korver, DeMarre Carroll, Paul Millsap and Al Horford. Budenholzer said he expects to keep that unit together longer as the exhbition games continue.
Budenholzer would not say how much newly-acquired small forward Cartier Martin would play.
Ferry has returned from Spain where he spent several days visiting draft picks Lucas Nogueira and Mike Muscala. Ferry watched Muscala play a game and was encouraged by what he saw. He met with Nogueira, who has not played due to a knee contusion.

@JarydWilson: The #ATLHawks' starters have made a run at the #Spurs' second team here in the fourth quarter. These coaches have different agendas...

From Houston Chronicle:

"Rockets to go big against Mavs, start Omer Asik with Dwight Howard

With Omer Asik ready for his first preseason playing time of the season, Rockets coach Kevin McHale will not wait any longer to see last season’s starting center in a lineup with this season’s starting center.

McHale said he would start Asik with Dwight Howard against the Mavericks on Monday, in part to see how well either defends the perimeter game of Dallas’ Dirk Nowitzki.

“We’ll start big with Omer and Dwight, see how that looks,” McHale said. “It will be a really good test because Dirk is such a good spread four. Both Omer and Dwight haven’t done that that much. If that’s going to work, they’ll have to play against those type of guys. I want to look at that.

“They’re working their way through stuff. They both have the same instincts to protect the rim and protect the paint. When one is down there the other is going to have to pick up a trailing shooter. There’s some little things they’re working on.”

Howard said he had matched up with fours early in his career, but will have to adjust to the change in assignments. Asik refused to comment.

While playing the big men together will dramatically change the Rockets’ spacing offensively, McHale was more concerned with the defensive end, even though both are considered elite defensive players. He said both will likely have time matched up against Nowitzki.

“Both of them have defensive instincts to get back to the paint and cover the paint, both of them want to kind of stay back,” McHale said. “They don’t want to show high (on screens.) They are both a little bit uncomfortable playing out on the floor and one of the two against the Dirk Nowitzkis of the world is going to have to come out there and be a presence against them. In the game of basketball, contrary to what everybody else might think, you do go back to your instincts.”

Anyone with more tactical knowledge than me cares to suggest how could this translate into a bet ?

Tonight, Asik will start at center and Howard will start at power forward.

“I am looking forward to the challenge,” Howard said. “I don’t think they are always going to start both of us, but I think it is good that we have that option to go big.”

Aside from learning to play alongside Asik tonight, Howard will also have another big challenge – guarding Dirk Nowitzki.

“It will be a challenge,” Howard said. “I am up for it though. He is 7 feet tall, can shoot threes, can be anywhere on the court. It will be weird at first not to get back on defense in the paint. I have to go back to the 3-point line.”''

haha nice. Didn't even hop on the site, and took the weekend off. Only game I liked and played:

Houston -4- 1 unit

oh shit. Whats up JP! Gonna be around this season?

18-7

+7.69

only game I'm really looking to are phoenix and atlanta, but not liking either line. Atlanta with 2 preseason games left while Indi has 4. OKC has an ESPN game 2m, so would prob rest durant a bit today to let him play 2m

Atlanta with 2 preseason games left while Indi has 4.
IND only have tonight @ ATL and Friday @ DAL before they open at home vs. the Magic next Tuesday.

Next up for the Pacers (1-5) is a preseason game in Atlanta against the Hawks (1-4) on Tuesday night. These final two tune-up games – Indiana closes preseason play in Dallas on Friday – will be treated like regular season games, Pacers coach Frank Vogel reiterated on Monday.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/preview-pacers-hawks-131022

Durant rested quite a bit last game...

Honestly I think the best play on the board is Utah/LA Under...

oh shit. Thanks hugh. HUGE help. was looking at the schedules and for some reason was looking at games left in october and assumed that was games left in preseason

what are your thoughts on that Utah/LA under king?

only play so far:

OKC/Phoenix UNDER 200- 1 unit

Just a distrust in either offense. No KD on one end, no Dragic on the other. Both players big on offense for their teams.

I'm going to be on so many detroit unders this year

Detroit/Washington UNDER 185.5- 1 unit

no jennings or stuckey. That detroit offense is horrible without jennings. Josh smith just shooting 18 footers. awesome. Also with a game 2m, and playing detroit again opening night, I'm not expecting wash to play its big guns hard today. Wouldn't mind bumping up either of these Unders

I got Pacers -2. Why choose Hawks? Vogel said the last two games would be played as if it was regular season.

Great call on the under SF. Had a parlay with OKC and Spurs. Did not know durant would be out. Foolish of me, as theyre playing Bulls today.

thanks guys. Obvious, square beT:

NJ starters and AK out. They really shouldn't win a road game as Boston plays its final preseason game like its real.

Boston -3- 3 units

square bet #2:

Dallas -7 (+100)- 1 unit

atlanta starts the season there and isn't playing Horford, Millsap, or Korver. Teague just got 32 min last night, so not expecting him in either

biggest bet barely hits. Very lucky this preseason with the close wins. Looking at Minnesota and the Under pending lineups

yea just placed. Looks like Silva and KCP starting, and josh smith. Not expecting detroit offense to click at alll

Minnesota +3- 1 unit
Minn/Detroit UNDER 195- 1 unit

buzzer beater 3 loses the total. all good

looking at a couple faves today. Think this is a good day to wait for info, but I expect some teams to treat this as a reg season game, and others to use this to just completely rest up. Identifying when these teams meet eachother should be profitable.

Pacers coach already said the last 2 games would be like regular season. Im already on them +2.5. Waiting for some infos to do one or two more bets. I like pelicans -2 and maybe a parlay with knicks, clippers and lakers.

Dalembert really the only true big man healthy on Dallas roster, so that bodes well for Hibbert tonight especially if he can put the oft-foul troubled Sammy D on the bench.

Nice spot for MEM. Houston on a b2b having to travel from San Antonio to Memphis. Memphis first home game back from a 3 game road trip and coming off a bad 36pt loss. Need to do some more digging - looks like the line has actually dropped .5

Looks like SAC players are playing for starting roles tonight...have to like that motivation. Line is starting to come down.

DeMarcus Cousins is the only certainty on the Kings to be in the starting lineup on opening night, as the other four positions, including point guard, are still up for grabs.

Isaiah Thomas and Greivis Vasquez are up for the starting point guard job and we still don't know who is going to win. Marcus Thornton, Jimmer Fredette and rookie Ben McLemore are all in the hunt to start at SG, while John Salmons is being challenged by Travis Outlaw to start at SF. And at power forward, Jason Thompson and Patrick Patterson are in a battle. And coach Michael Malone has also said that Friday night's preseason starters won't be an indication of who will start in the opener, as well that he plans on picking a starting five and rotation and sticking to it, rather than constantly mixing things up. Stay tuned.

According to the Sacramento Bee, Kings head coach Mike Malone will use Friday’s game to continue figuring out his team’s “best lineup.” On the other hand, Doc Rivers said before Thursday’s practice that he expects to play his starters for about a half.
“I’ll play our guys probably the first half and then that’s it,” Rivers said. “I don’t care what I view it as. It’s what they view it as (the players). And it’s human nature. You’ve worked all year to get to the first game. This game’s not going to be a game that I’m going to do anything. I get that.”
THINGS TO WATCH
1. Playing time. With Rivers suggesting playing time will limited for his starters, expect to see the bench on the court a lot as they continue developing an identity. That will be aided by the likely return of Matt Barnes, who missed seven preseason games with a sore left calf.
“I think the second unit, getting that chemistry going, knowing exactly who we want to play through and I think getting everybody healthy” were two the things star reserve Jamal Crawford said he’ll be looking to see in Friday’s game.
The Kings are sorting through who will start in the other four positions next to DeMarcus Cousins, including three shooting guard candidates who will all likely see the court in L.A. Marcus Thornton is expected to start with rookie Ben McLemore and third-year guard Jimmer Fredette also playing. Fredette did not play in the previous meeting between the Clippers and Kings on Oct. 14.
2. Small ball vs. size. Adding Barnes to the mix will also allow Rivers to get creative with some of his lineups, Rivers wants to see Barnes in “correct” small units with Jared Dudley, Chris Paul and either Jamal Crawford and J.J. Redick and Blake Griffin or DeAndre Jordan. Friday will be the first, and only, preseason opportunity to do so and Rivers sounded happy it was coming against a team that could test the Clippers.
“They’re probably one of the riskiest teams to do it against because they’re so big,” Rivers said, referring to a front line that includes Cousins and Thompson, who are both 6-foot-11.
3. Playoff practices. According to several players, including Griffin and Crawford, the Clippers’ practice sessions have been beneficial throughout the month of October. Rivers terms them “Playoff practices,” something Crawford talked about Thursday.
“Our practices are like real games,” he said. “They’re all very efficient and we get after each other.”
NOTES
Point guard Darren Collison, who has scored 74 points in the past three games, is questionable with a bruised left kneecap… Cousins scored 31 points in the first meeting, but Griffin and Jordan did not play. Paul also sat out the game. All three will play limited minutes Friday… Thornton (rest) did not play in Wednesday’s matchup between the Kings and Warriors… The Clippers are 8-10 all-time in the preseason versus the Kings, but have won three of the last four…
THEY SAID IT
Rivers on establishing a rotation: “I don’t think the rotation will be established. I think that rotation word is overplayed in my opinion because it will always change. It will change with injuries, how people are playing. I think it takes a while to establish the one that you go to the most. We don’t know what that is yet.”

That's awesome news, Mets. Might be worthwhile to just wait and snag Sacramento 2H no matter what the half time score is.

Thanks for the input guys. Super helpful esp since I don't have time to cap for shit today. And great seein u Gorg. Looking forward to discussing hoops in reg season. No plays for me today

Back