Is there a chance he'd take us back?

(thats the kind of deep hard hitting analysis everyone knows and loves and probably the reason most signed up for CTG right there)

LOL gotta love the racist sports comparisons. Lotulelei is nothing like Ngata other than the fact that they both play football, are from Hawaii, and have names that us mainlanders have trouble pronouncing. Ngata is your typical fat guy noseguard who can take up blocks and still make plays in the run game. Lotulelei, despite them selling his versatility as either a NG in a 3-4 or a DT in a 4-3, is really just a DT in a 4-3. He's quick and can make plays as a one-technique tackle but is not going to be the star DT that you are expecting when taking him #4 overall in the draft. Here is SB Nation's list of his Cons and overall assessment of his capabilities. Read it and tell me if you think he sounds more like a solid top 5 draft pick or just a pretty good player being taken way too high in a weak draft.

Cons: Seems to run hot and cold at times – both from game to game and play to play. While Lotulelei isn't a lazy player, he can be neutralized somewhat by linemen that get leverage when he comes out of his stance too high. Teams often ran the ball away from Lotulelei and he didn't always work to chase after the ball. Whether that's because he was asked to stay at home for backside contain is unknown.

Getting into an NFL training regimen should help Lotulelei's stamina. He wore down at the end of some games.

Other than a bull rush, Lotulelei doesn't offer a lot as a pass rusher. He needs to add counter moves to his game to be more effective against power blockers. Needs to come out lower more frequently. He can give up position he gets off the snap too high. Not used much in zone blitzes, though that shouldn't necessarily be used against Lotulelei.

Conclusion: There is not a lot of spectacular plays on Lotulelei's highlight reel. He's a steady force in the middle. In a draft that has uncertainty, Lotulelei should be viewed as a good player and a safe pick. He has a skill set to immediately help some team's run defense and the quickness to get better as a pass rusher.

Pros:
In the run game, Lotulelei's game is based around his first step. Not only is it quick, but he does a good job of anticipating the snap count. When he can get off the line of scrimmage fast, it allows him to get leverage on offensive linemen and move them around. Lotulelei is powerful throughout his frame, so he can use his upper body to move linemen around and his legs to drive them backward. He has quick hands to shed blockers and move toward the ball.

As a pass rusher, Lotulelei is almost exclusively a bull rusher. Has the power to push linemen back and disrupt the pocket. As a senior, teams often used two blockers on Lotuelei, particularly on passing situations. This opened lanes up for other Utah defenders to rush the passer. While he's no J.J. Watt, he does a nice job of getting his hands up to distract passing windows.

My opinion remains, "meh". I would rather take a shot on a guy that has a higher ceiling like Jarvis Jones than someone who you are pretty resigned to realizing is probably going to be a solid if totally unspectacular player. And he's not at a position of need at all, the Iggles have a lot of holes to fill and I would say an interior DL is near the bottom. If you really want to fill that hole, go out and sign Chris Canty.

It sucks that KC seems to be set on making the smart move and drafting Joeckel because he's the one guy I really like in the draft. My second option would be taking the flyer on Jones and his freakish athleticism. Third option would be duping a dumb team like the Browns or Cardinals into swapping picks and getting a high pick in next year's draft to do so and taking Chance Warmack, who plays a position that we both know is a dire need for this team.

It's a neck issue, I think the medicals that he does at the combine will determine his draft status. If he is cleared and good to go, he's worth taking at the Iggles spot IMO.

The Eagles message board is the best:

Welcome to 2 years ago. This organization is in the toilet. Until Roseman is gone there might never be a good football decision made again
I've come to the realization that this team is going nowhere until Howie Roseman is gone too. I have little doubt he was behind this travesty.
You're right he's not a nobody. He's somebody who was a terrible failure at DC for years and then his replacement in each spot did better than him. I don't think they could have made a worse hire
Disappointing. I dont know anything about this guy but I was hopping for someone with more upside at least. I wonder which choice this guys was, even top 10?
We ain't going anywhere in 2013 anywaywe got no QB, so the best case scenario is that the defense stinks up the world again and we realize quickly this was a mistake and replace him for 2014.
Hell at least Juan wasn't a proven failure.
I doubt I will watch the Eagles much until Roseman is gone, I can't take this **** anymore. We thought the head scratcher moves ended with Reid, guess we were wrong.
Terrible hiring. The stats prove he sucks.
i don't want this to come across the wrong way but every grown man i've ever met who uses the "y" at the end of his first name....joey, jimmy, timmy, billy, etc....well, they're gaymos....flaming gaymos. once you hit 10 years old, you drop the "y". you just do...unless you're a gaymo.

so yeah...the eagles hired a gaymo as dc. way to strike fear in opposing offenses. that's great...just great.
If they couldn't find anyone better than this to run it they might as well have stuck with a 4-3.
I'd rather have had an upstart defensive position coach with a strong resume than a guy whose a proven failure.
Never heard of him.

And if he was a good prospect as a DC, someone else would have hired him by now.

This is a "Nobody Else Wanted the Job" hire.
Really stupid choice. Here's hopking he shocks us all. Sigh.
The dude sucks! Lost 2 other DC JOBS and ended up a doof in Cleveland!
Oh for the love of god!!! We are going to suck so bad, for so long. I can't....I can't take it anymore!

Flaming gaymo will be the new term I use for DWoww when he comes in here extoling the virtues of Nick Foles

The tough thing about hiring the Browns' LB coach is that the Browns honestly haven't spent much time focusing on LBs in, oh, five plus years or so.

Part of that was bad drafting. It's as if they have like six versions of Kaiuka Maiava (sp?) back there. Gocong (remember him), Fujita is fine but at this point in his career he's basically the same as Gocong, and I love D'Quell Jackson but it's the same thing. After the injuries, he's slowed to where he's not that much different than the rest of 'em.

So it's hard to judge the guy as a coach when he's working with B-list talent on their best day.

Also, honestly, as much as I love the Browns, I hope this guy interviewed really well. Because you can make statistical arguments for the Browns' defense, but watching them as a unit—and particularly seeing that gaping hole they have over the middle—doesn't fill me with optimism.

Also, I hadn't seen this yet:
Shurmur is also joining Chip Kelly’s new staff with the Eagles, sources have said.

More Browns/Birds incest on the horizon.

#Eagles finally finalize coaching staff:
Pat Shurmur (offensive coordinator)

Bill Davis (defensive coordinator)

Dave Fipp (special teams coordinator)

Greg Austin (assistant offensive line)

Jerry Azzinaro (defensive line/assistant head coach)

Bob Bicknell (wide receivers)

Erik Chinander (assistant defensive line)

Mike Dawson (defensive quality control)

Matt Harper (assistant special teams)

Josh Hingst (strength and conditioning)

Shaun Huls (sports science coordinator)

Bill Lazor (quarterbacks)

John Lovett (defensive backs)

Todd Lyght (assistant defensive backs)

Bill McGovern (outside linebackers)

Rick Minter (inside linebackers)

Justin Peelle (assistant tight ends)

Duce Staley (running backs)

Jeff Stoutland (offensive line)

Press Taylor (offensive quality control)

Ted Williams (tight ends)

22 coaches has to be a record, right?

We're like one of those really good Ivy schools with a great student/teacher ratio

Kelly will hold a press conference at the NovaCare Complex on Monday at 1:30 pm. Assistants will be available to the media following the press conference.
Some initial thoughts:
– Including Chip Kelly, there is a total of 22 coaches to oversee a 53-man roster. That is a pretty solid ratio.
– Given that Kelly is employing both an outside linebackers coach (McGovern) and inside linebackers coach (Minter), there is a really good chance the team will be using some 3-4.
– What is a sports science coordinator? Here is the job posting for the same role at Oregon to help explain (thanks to Jimmy Kempski for the link). It reads, in part:
Responsible for coordination of a comprehensive sports performance program to assess and enhance athlete readiness, performance, and recovery for…athletes. Director will also assist in the operation of the weight room and implementation of conditioning, strength, speed and flexibility programs.
Huls most recently served as the head strength and conditioning coach and combatives coordinator for Navy Special Warfare. So, pretty bad ass. (Here is a podcast of Huls talking about SEAL training if you are interested.)
A quick bio on some of the more significant hires, courtesy of the Eagles:
Pat Shurmur returns to the Eagles after originally spending 10 seasons as the team’s tight ends coach (1999-2001) and quarterbacks coach (2002-08). He most recently served as the head coach for the Cleveland Browns from 2011-12.
Bill Davis, 47, has 21 years of NFL coaching experience after most recently serving as the Cleveland Browns linebackers coach from 2011-12. Under Davis’ tutelage, D’Qwell Jackson blossomed into one of the NFL’s most productive linebackers, registering 277 tackles, seven sacks and three interceptions over the last two seasons. Davis has also held two defensive coordinator jobs, first with the San Francisco 49ers from 2005-06 and then with the Arizona Cardinals from 2009-10. He first joined the NFL coaching ranks as a defensive quality control coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1992. Davis has worked under Dom Capers, Bill Cowher, Vic Fangio, Dick LeBeau, Mike Nolan, Wade Phillips and Marvin Lewis during his coaching career.
Dave Fipp, 38, most recently served as the assistant special teams coach for the Miami Dolphins from 2011-12. During his two years in Miami, the Dolphins ranked 2nd (2011) and 4th (2012) in the NFL in overall special teams rankings, according to the data compiled by esteemed Dallas Morning News columnist Rick Gosselin.
– Jerry Azzinaro will coach the defensive line after serving in the same role on Chip Kelly’s staff at Oregon from 2009-12. During that span, the Ducks defensive line compiled a total of 76 sacks. Prior to joining the coaching staff at Oregon, Azzinaro was the defensive line coach at Marshall University in 2008 and at the University of New Hampshire in 2007.
– Bob Bicknell, 43, joins the Eagles after a three-year stint with the Buffalo Bills as their wide receivers coach (2012) and tight ends coach (2010-11). Prior to his arrival in Buffalo, Bicknell spent the previous three seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs as assistant offensive line coach (2007), offensive line coach (2008) and tight ends coach (2009).
– Bill Lazor, 40, joins the Eagles after spending the previous three seasons as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Virginia. Lazor boasts seven years of NFL coaching experience and most recently served as the quarterbacks coach for the Seattle Seahawks (2008-09) and Washington Redskins (2006-07).
– John Lovett comes to Philadelphia with nearly four decades of coaching experience on his resume, primarily at the collegiate level. He initially was hired by the University of Cincinnati this offseason after serving as the defensive backs coach at Texas Tech in 2012, mentoring a unit that led the Big 12 conference in pass defense. Lovett’s career includes stints as defensive coordinator at Miami (Fla.), Bowling Green, Clemson, Auburn, Maine and Cincinnati. He also spent one season as the defensive quality control coach for the New York Jets in 1984.
Bill McGovern most recently served as the linebackers coach at Boston College for the past 12 seasons and as their defensive coordinator since 2009. During his time there, McGovern guided two linebackers to ACC Defensive POY honors – Mark Herzlich (2008) and Luke Kuechly (2011).
Rick Minter has more than three decades of experience coaching in the collegiate ranks, including a 10-year stint as the head coach of Cincinnati from 1994-2003, where he won more games (52) than any head coach in school history. Several current head coaches were on Minter’s staff throughout his tenure at Cincinnati, including Baltimore’s John Harbaugh (special teams coordinator, 1989–1996), Pittsburgh’s Mike Tomlin (defensive backs, 1999-2000), New York Jets’ Rex Ryan (defensive coordinator, 1996-97) as well as Florida State’s Jimbo Fisher (offensive coordinator/quarterbacks, 1999). Minter spent the last two seasons as the defensive coordinator at Kentucky.
– Jeff Stoutland, comes to Philadelphia after serving as the University of Alabama’s offensive line coach for the past two seasons. In 2012, Stoutland’s offensive line unit featured two first-team All-Americans in Barrett Jones and Chance Warmack, who helped the Crimson Tide rank 20th nationally in rushing (224.6 ypg) and 15th in scoring offense (38.5 ppg). In addition, Jones became Alabama’s first Rimington Trophy winner as the nation’s top center. Stoutland joined the Alabama staff in 2011 after spending 14 years as an assistant coach at Miami (2007-10), Michigan State (2000-06) and Syracuse (1997-99).

Under Davis’ tutelage, D’Qwell Jackson blossomed into one of the NFL’s most productive linebackers

Good grief, nice reach. D'Qwell was good well before Davis showed up in Cleveland. I get that we want to play up the guy's qualifications, but comments like this make you look like you don't know shit. Way to not do your research at all, guy who wrote this piece.

Interesting that JG would celebrate that news with an avatar that looks like it's jerking off multiple cocks into its grill.

I'm just sayin'.

According to USA Today, Huls was the strength, conditioning and combatives coordinator for Navy Special Warfare, meaning he was training Navy SEALs before he took a job in which he’ll be training the Eagles.

That’s a surprising background for someone to become an NFL assistant coach, but with Kelly, maybe it shouldn’t come as a surprise. In a 2010 interview with theNew York Times, Kelly said that in preparing his Oregon team for the up-tempo style that he prefers, he employed a lot of the same conditioning techniques that he had learned about from studying the way the Navy SEALs train.

You see how they train the Navy SEALs,” Kelly said. “They squirt them with water, play loud music and do all these other things when they have to perform a task. That’s how we practice. We want to bombard our kids.”

With sports science coordinator Shaun Huls on the staff, the players on the Eagles should prepare to be bombarded with some intense offseason conditioning.

If you listen closely, you can hear DJax walking out of practice already.

via: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-former-navy-seals-trainer-for-eagles-staff/

well think that will do it for the Eagles and me. Enough is enough. Too many decades of this crap.
OH MY!!! ARE WE FREAKING SERIOUS? This team is by far the biggest JOKE in ALL of football. Ok let's keep the **** who has had more turnovers than TD the last 2 seasons while leading us NOWHERE!!! Yay, can't wait for another pathetic 4 win season! This is seriously so stupid. I was holding out hope for Chip but this really hurts.

It's really getting hard to support this team...
Mike Vick and Billy Davis. Quite the terrible start to the Chip Kelly era. And now many of you can pretend you wouldn't have thought so if I told you this was a possible scenario before it happened. Now that it happened people will start grasping at straws to justify it
Yea. Think im finally done. Just dont know that I can put up with this crap anymore. Its hard to argue that this team wants to win it all. Nothing they do is about just winning games.
What a joke!!! This team will never win becuase they refuse to learn from history. An you know what they say... If you do not learn from history you are doomed to repeat it!
At this stage I’m now wishing that we had got gus Bradley.
Hope I’m proven wrong.
we're screwed.

the best i can hope for is a true QB competition in camp
Seriously i'm so so annoyed.

Really thought this was the year to just move on from the whole Vick Reid era and everything and now just wow.

I only pray we trade him, but its looking unlikely.

Seriously, Kelly has big time let me down.
F! I knew this Chip Kelly hiring was terrible. Always have to do this STUPID flashy ****. I would rather have just had Foles and Gus Bradley but this fat F Kelly had to come out of Fing nowhere.
Well so far, we got the wrong HC.

Sorry but I completely give up all hope of Kelly not being a scheme guy and I seriously now doubt his evaluation of players now aswell.

Give me Gus Bradley any day of the week.
You have to take into account that this is more than just Vick. It also cements that Kelly is a failure. It means he is a bad judge of talent. Maybe a little Reid in him, he thinks he can change every player. He is a bad decision maker going by his DC pick and now this.

I really am trying to wonder why I should waste the rest of my fan years backing a awful franchise like this.

u know uve hit the big time when ppl are copying and pasting ur tweets!

haha but yeah jump, i think i stand by that. obviously nobody in philly wants him back, but as much as I was impressed by Foles, CK has given no sign that he wasnt to even try to run his system with him. And what else is there out there? Overpay for Alex Smith who's gonna want at least 3 years?

fuck it, this is cheap and im at least open to seeing how vicks talents would work under this system. However, like I said, now you HAVE to draft EJ this year. And more importantly, you have to treat him like Seattle did with Russell Wilson, where even though they paid Vick for this year, hes not guaranteed the job if EJ comes in and kills it in camp and in preseason.

At this point, what else could they have done?

really can't use that 4 pick on EJ tho. Maybe trade foles and a 3rd for a 2nd and use that on Manuel? Im at least trying to be reasonable and not claim that they are gonna get a 2nd for Foles straight up like some twitter folks seem to think

They dont have to draft anyone this year

They can wait till next year if they think theres no one whos right this year (hence the Vick one year deal...)

I really feel like this move makes it clear that they ARE going to go after EJ Manuel. It just makes sense, You have vick for one year now, and you draft EJ, trade Foles and Dixon is 3rd string. You really can't have Vick-Foles-Dixon as the qbs. You can't have that the backup to the guy who always gets hurt plays a completely different style than the starter and the guy behind him, should he get hurt. Especially not when you are implementing a new system.

So with this theyll have Vick-EJ-Dixon. Kelly loves EJ and he fits this system better than anyone in this draft or the next year. You could argue Teddy Ballgame, but he might be going top 2 overall, and we hope the eagles arent THAT terrible.

So now you have one year of vick, and theres no obligation to him. If EJ has a camp similar to what RW did last year, its ok to have Vick as the backup ane EJ starting the way Seattle did with Flynn. If EJ needs some time to sit, he can watch Vick, who does have a similar skillset and if nothing else, hed be learing the system behind the scenes more. And then if Vick got hurt, hed be there to step in.

In a QB scarce free agency, Alex Smith is going to want at least 3 years, and while id be fine with him as a one year guy, hes not a franchise qb. So im actually ok with this, providing they handle it as i mentioned above.

ok guys, i had to come back to this site for the eagles thread..
u guys have lost your damn minds hoping the eagles get EJ Manuel... EJ Manuel is a pocket passer, just cuz he is black guys does not make him a running playmaking QB.. did anyone watch some FSU games the past two yrs? he sits in the pocket.
Alex Smith would be the perfect QB to play in this system right now, u know he did run a similar system at Utah, the guy can move a bit..

Dan why do you think EJ Manuel is the answer? Did you watch him play vs. good teams this past fall? He was bad in the first half against Clemson, bad the whole game vs. NCSU, and the reason they lost vs. Florida. Why do you fall in love with these guys who weren't even that great college QBs? Why do the Eagles HAVE to draft a QB this year? This is a weak class by any measure, why force it as opposed to rolling with Vick for cheap and Dennis Dixon as his backup and seeing what you can get next season?

i don't understand the logic.

Dan why do you think EJ Manuel is the answer? Did you watch him play vs. good teams this past fall? He was bad in the first half against Clemson, bad the whole game vs. NCSU, and the reason they lost vs. Florida. Why do you fall in love with these guys who weren't even that great college QBs? Why do the Eagles HAVE to draft a QB this year? This is a weak class by any measure, why force it as opposed to rolling with Vick for cheap and Dennis Dixon as his backup and seeing what you can get next season?

i don't understand the logic.

I watch guys & i look for what my eyes tell me are special skills. College kids are just that, kids, so they dont always perform during games. Many great nfl qbs were meh in college. EJ has that from what i see.

And while he does have a cannon, he can run as well. Chip even recruited him. Nothing to do w his race. Thats more accurate to say to ppl who think Geno is a fit. Hes a pure passer who ppl assume can run bc of his race.

You are right about Geno in that regard, but EJ is the same thing, if he was white and put up the rushing he did no one would think he could run

he's not a running QB in the NFL, no speed, he might be at best a good scrambler (i.e Steve Young)

I would trade Foles now

even if not for this years draft, someone may not give a 2nd this year but some sucker would probably give one up next year, then if Vick fails you have more picks next year to package to move up and draft a QB

as long as Alex Smith doesn't end up in KC there is probably an open partner

There isn't a top 15 QB in the NFL who wasn't a good player in college. Brady won a MNC, Peyton was great, Roethy went undefeated his sr year, Brees carried a shitty Purdue team on his back, Matty Ice broke school records, Luck, Sheli, etc etc. That argument doesn't hold water, guys don't all of a sudden get it when they make it to the NFL. They always had it.

EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Nick Foles, Brandon Weeden, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Nassib, Matt Barkley, and all these other guys who weren't even that good their senior seasons in college don't have it. I don't see any reason to spend time and draft picks on guys who are never going to be able to get you there.

Back