Is there a chance he'd take us back?

@caplannfl: I'm hearing the #Eagles are in the process of trying to set up an interview with PSU HC Bill O'Brien over the next few days.

Why the hate for Boyd? I like the kid, always have, had nothing to do with one game or anything. Kelly recruited him too.

And if they go with BOB or someone else, im fine with keeping Foles. He really looked halfway decent, especially considering the team he was playing with. He was 100000x more competent than Vick and everyone assumes that Vick will be a starter somewhere next year.

Only way chip is successful is with an option qb. Oregon runs way more than the pass and use sideline bubble screens on first down almost like a running play.

I would be nervous if my team was hiring him.

His teams always play uptempo though. I do like that, just would be interesting to see how much qb actually throws.

bill o would be a dynamite hire imo.

Just my two cents. I'm fascinated to see Kelly in NFL and if his o will work. Just think he needs a certain qb.

I agree with you Hunt. It could be an epic disaster. But at least it would be trying something different. I'm sure hed be hired with the understanding that he is going to have to tweak his system a bit to fit the NFL speed. He can't install Oregon's offense in the pros and be successful. But could the basic principles of his offense work and spark an offense? Its certainly possible. I'm all for innovation like that. At least try something new. The NFL is constantly changing, and I'd rather have a guy who might be a few steps ahead of the game, than a guy who win a super bowl in 1999 but, in reality, the game has passed him by.

Yeah, all good points...it just make take awhile to fit a square peg in a round hole if you don't have the pieces is all I mean.

don't hate Boyd, after the LSU game though the hype went out of control and people were talking first rounder

he needs to go back for another year

I know it'll never happen because reaching for QBs is what people do in the NFL, but if we get Kelly and Geno Smith is sitting there in the 20s, I'd be all for trading a 2 and a 4 to bring him in

im probably in the minority but I don't think it's a lock that he's a complete bust

no chance he is in the 20's

even if the Chiefs don't take him

you have

Cards, Bills, Jets at 7-9

don't think he gets past that group of 3

I don't even think it would be a reach at that point

I'm fascinated to see Kelly in NFL and if his o will work. Just think he needs a certain qb.

Thaddius Lewis FTW.

Taj Boyd? Geno Smith? What is wrong with you masochists???
agree

I am a SCAM believer still and I like what RG3 has shown

This aint for everyone and I still believe RG3s offense gets modified over the next few years

This is the NFL. These defenses will adjust....

Mike Kafka lands in New England.

I pretty much root for nothing good to happen to the Pats so I don't like this. But I am happy the guy has a job in the league next year. Or at least, a chance to have a job in the league. Something about that guy, I hope he makes it.

haha i dont hate kafka at all, but put it this way, look at the guys on NFL rosters this year. hell look at who started games! yet nobody wanted kafka even as a backup. The Steelers brought in Hoyer and Kafka for workouts and ended up sticking with Batch. That says something lol.

ummmm....yeah....

Ed Donatell - Defensive Coordinator
All signs indicate the 49ers defensive backs coach is going to be running the Eagles defense. Kelly wouldn't be hiring defensive coaches before selecting a coordinator. We all saw how that worked out for Juan Castillo and the Eagles. Donatell, however, can't become official until after the Super Bowl. As for his resume, Donatell has defensive coordinator experience in Green Bay and Atlanta. Never in his seven years running an NFL defense did his unit finish in the Top 10. Donatell also presided over the defense for the winless Washington Huskies in 2008. Washington allowed 39 points per game that season.

Wait ... is this the official Eagles thread or the coaching carousel thread or the food & cooking forum ... they all come back to the Eagles, but I just want to post in the right place.

Smoke - look at it this way. At least he's coached an NFL defense before....

Didn't I see Castillo got hired as a running game coordinator last week too? lmfao

True...just hoping its someone else on one of the two staffs...haha

yeah with the Ravens...hes a great OLine coach...he'll be fine at that

Pat Shurmur's meer presence around the offense will hold this offense down. I predict a come-to-Jesus meeting between Chip and Pat when Chip notices it's second down and short, Eagles are lined up at the line of scrimmage, and Pat's still looking at his laminated Mexican restaurant menu to offer some input for 1st-and-10. We had a lot of delay-of-games, you know.

Actually, we probably had more frustrating timeouts as the play clock neared zero. You get my point.

Since it's the Eagles thread, I guess I can speak freely about an Eagles coach. JoeP mentioned in the carousel thread that Shurmur might be a good practice coach. Well, we know he had nothing to do with the defense. Jauron was practically a co-coach in a bubble. And Shurmur had nothing to do with special teams. I can't think of an offensive player who improved during Shurmur's tenure. Greg Little got better in year two. Then again, he was a second-year player who had to sit out his final college year, and was a converted running back. Pat Shurmur apparently improved the guy's hands. Hardesty got better. From non-existent to existent. The offensive line got better. With better players.

Mike Holmgren hired his buddy's nephew, and his agent's client. Shurmur's a borderline retard.

So the Eagles have a head coach who has never been in the NFL, a coach who's presumably going to masterfully fit an untested offense into the NFL, with a borderline retard as his righthand man. Should work out well, since they have a few fast players.

Shurmer will be a glorified QB coach

he was fine at that last time he was here

not worried about it in even the slightest way

Why hire him? I'm not opposed to Pat Shurmur getting a job. It would be nice if an NFL job went to a hungry non-failure who wasn't already rich. Like most former Browns coaches, he's in a different tax bracket than I am even if he plays with his own poop in the bathtub for the next couple seasons. And when has he ever developed a quarterback?

You guys hate McNabb, and Bradford sucks.

More seriously, anyone could have "developed" McNabb, and Bradford sucks.

NFL assistants are a dime-a-dozen anyway. Takes a guy 40 years to get recognized as an offensive or defensive genius. Shurmur's lucky. 50% chance someone's electronic rolodex just landed on him. Can't believe for a second Chip Kelly had him earmarked.

Eagles thread's got lots of discussion about the new OC who won't be calling plays. My bad.

I'm with Smoke, I don't think Fritz, er, Pat, is going to have much say at all running the offense. I think that will be all Kelly.

I think Shurm is going to be a position coach essentially. And I think whoever the Birds hired in this spot would have been in the same position. The good news for Fritz is that he doesn't have to take the title hit of going all the way back to a QB coach. He can be an OC in title only and that's what will land on his resume.

I also agree with Smoke in that it may have been a different story with McCoy or Weeden if that was Shurmer's primary focus rather than trying to run the whole show. Let him focus on coaching up a QB and I think you get better results in Cleveland.

But Tip is right, the guy may be a borderline retard.

Also, it's only a one game sample, but I was in Denver for the Browns game at the end of the season and while statistically Little had a decent game, I personally thought he really quit on some of his routes.

Of course, that's one game in a lost season so it's tough to take too much from it.

I get the explanation, kind of like covering for the kid who just seems a little out of place in school, but don't the Eagles already have an unglorified quarterbacks coach? Why add a glorified one? I question the reason behind the hire. Wouldn't it be Philly-refreshing to at least dance around all new, all the time? NFL teams act as if they will not be lampooned for this stuff.

That last post reads either drunk, or from phone, or Asian. 2 of 3 are true.

Speaking of Donatell, I believe he was the DC in Green Bay for the 4th and 26 game. I remember watching that game with Favre throwing up those ducks in 4th quarter and overtime and the terrible coaching by the DC. All comes full circle.

Well....I mean he did oversee the worst defense in the history of football last year but I'd rather have him than Donatell...

Yeah, you could bring back Spags. I'd actually be OK with that.

The guy was great in NY and terrible in NO. He's got to have learned something from both experiences (plus his time in STL), no?

Back