Hawks @ Falcons Discussion...

Tony G will be the ex factor. Not sure how the Hawks deal with him. Looking forward to the battles out wide.

I'm sorry, -1.5?

Jesus, this makes two different games I was nearly three points off on the spread. I must be rusty.

I also will be betting Les Dirty Birds.

Crazy line. Hags are 3-0 SU (3-0 ATS) when getting points at home this season with those 3 wins being over the Cowboys, Packers and Patriots.

Says that nobody is talking about them...my wife watches a ton of these games, and she asked me today if atl missed the playoffs..

Sea has been a media darling since sf game ( not saying for good reason as they've played great), and Atl locked things up early..

this has something to do with it as well...

I'm sorry, -1.5?

Jesus, this makes two different games I was nearly three points off on the spread. I must be rusty.

I also will be betting Les Dirty Birds.

i figured this to be 4-. i was shocked to see 2. i already bet atlanta.

It says that they haven't won a playoff game in a long time. I'm curious to see the % come Wednesday

regardless of all other matchups, if seattle wants to put the game on lynch's shoulders, i don't see how atlanta stops him more than seattle's stud defensive backfield contains the falcons' passing game

it's that simple

regardless of all other matchups, if seattle wants to put the game on lynch's shoulders, i don't see how atlanta stops him more than seattle's stud defensive backfield contains the falcons' passing game

it's that simple
I know Sea got it together, but those 1st few drives by Wash had me a tad concerned

while i was impressed with the skins' OL, the way they were holding blocks early, i was impressed with how the defense made the proper adjustments

the skins have a running game that can move the hawks off the line and they did so plenty. atlanta does not

Frequent flyer miles yo. Makes no sense. Is it that hard to get a college football practice facility? I guess

Abraham, Robinson, and Moore all set out of practice last week but are expected to return today. Coach SMith has indicated that all three will be rested and close to 100% for this game.

Per espn

Getting healthy. While the Seahawks will come out of the wild-card round with some bumps and bruises, the Falcons look to be about as healthy as possible. The bye week gave defensive end John Abraham time to rest an ankle injury and cornerback Dunta Robinson time to get over a concussion. Strong safety William Moore, who missed the final four games of the regular season with a hamstring injury, returned to practice Saturday and should be at full strength for Sunday.

While I think that Lynch will amass plenty of rushing yards I dont think Seattle will be able to score td's in the redzone.

while i was impressed with the skins' OL, the way they were holding blocks early, i was impressed with how the defense made the proper adjustments

the skins have a running game that can move the hawks off the line and they did so plenty. atlanta does not

This. Let's not forget how inept ATL is at running the ball in crunchtime and in short yardage situations.

And we also know ATL can't stop the read option. I expect to see wee-man running around plenty in this game...

I HATE Seattle, but we'll see what ATL is made of from a physical standpoint. It's one thing to chirp about it constantly (ATL), it's another to take someone's manhood on the field (like SEA has been doing lately).

This week of hearing all the talking heads trashing Atlanta, or their lack of wins in the playoffs, is going to make me puke. I cant wait for the game to be played. Its always the same arguments over and over.

I know Sea got it together, but those 1st few drives by Wash had me a tad concerned

Nerves bro. Team looked tentative to start. Pretty sure the players are aware of their team's shitty road playoff history but once they settled in, the better team won...

I had hawks favored here, game they win 3 out of 5 times. No Clemons hurts a lot bc he led the defense in snaps by a ton, but I think the matchups are in seattle's favor regardless. Atlanta is a 9-7 team in reality, maybe 10 wins, scraping wins together against lindley by 4 in atl, panthers by 1 in atl, and the raiders with the help of a pick 6 in atl are roughly the equivalent of losing to most other teams in similar spots.

Any chance this goes to +3?? Seattle seems to match up well. Lynch should have a field day. Atlanta tough at home but just don't trust them in playoffs

Atlanta can't replicate anything the skins had in their gameplan. Skins were the worst matchup in the entire NFC field for Seattle.
Really? I thought the best. Not sold on ATL D, by any means....but I thought Wash got the WORST possible 1st rd matchup they coulda gotten

After falling behind 14-0 to Wash, I have to think Pete is stressing to his troops the importance of being ready to play this week and there is a good chance Sea jumps out to an early lead riding the momentum of last week's second half performance. I think if Atl is going to beat them they will have to catch them in the 2H when fatigue may set in for Sea.

No genius here but I will pound Atlanta I this one.
Gunna bet on a rook qb on road two wks in row?
Atlanta getting no respect as 1 seed. I can go on...
Atlanta 31-10

From rotoworld

Sunday's 1:00PM ET Game

Seattle @ Atlanta

A primary concern for Seattle's defense in this matchup is generating pressure. The Seahawks lost sack leader Chris Clemons to a season-ending knee injury in last week's win at Washington, and their pass rush was struggling before that. Seattle has managed ten combined sacks in its last eight games, including just three the past three weeks. Matt Ryan is capable of picking apart any defense from a clean pocket. Absorbing only four sacks over the final three regular-season games, Ryan completed 76-of-104 passes (73.1 percent) for 787 yards (7.57 YPA), and an 8:0 TD-to-INT ratio. ... At the same time, working in the Seahawks' favor is the physical corner duo of LCB Richard Sherman and RCB Brandon Browner, who will match up with Roddy White and Julio Jones. Browner limited Redskins go-to receiver Pierre Garcon to 50 scoreless yards on four catches in the Wild Card Round, and no other Washington wideout cleared 30 yards. Based on where they lined up on the field for most of 2012, Jones can expect to square off with Browner often Sunday while Sherman sticks to White. ... Because Seattle fields the premier cornerback tandem in this year's playoffs, it's fair to argue that Pete Carroll's club matches up with Atlanta's pass-first offense better than any team left in the postseason. Tony Gonzalez would seemingly be the Falcons' best way to attack a Seahawks defense that can shut down the perimeter. Perhaps the first-round playoff bye will rejuvenate 36-year-old Gonzalez, but he struggled to get open down the stretch, averaging 44.7 yards over Atlanta's final seven games. He averaged 68.6 in the first nine.

Atlanta is the most disciplined team in the NFL, setting league records this season for penalties accepted and penalty yardage. Mike Smith's club also finished top-five in turnover margin. This team doesn't make many mistakes. ... On the other hand, Smith's playoff history is abominable. He's 0-3 lifetime in the postseason with a combined scoring margin of 102-47. Smith's Falcons have been blown out 48-21 and 24-2 in their last two playoff tries. ... Although the Seahawks' run defense was a bit up and down this season, it shut down the Redskins' No. 1-ranked rush offense for the final three quarters of the Wild Card Round. After allowing 61 first-quarter rushing yards at Washington, the Seahawks settled down and permitted 43 yards over the final three frames. Offensively, rushing offense is Atlanta's weakness. The Falcons finished the season 29th in both rush yards per game (87.3) and yards per carry (3.69). Turning 31 next month, lead back Michael Turner needs outstanding blocking to be sprung for successful runs, and Seattle's defensive team speed is capable of bottling up scatback Jacquizz Rodgers. If the Seahawks' front seven plays as stoutly as it did for most of the Redskins game, it can render Atlanta's offense one dimensional.

There is a perception that Russell Wilson struggles on the road, and that was true early in the season. But he made major strides over the course of 2012, posting a 2:7 TD-to-INT ratio in his initial four away games before improving to 8:1 in the past five. The home-away factor still works in Atlanta's favor, but not nearly to the extent it might have before. ... Despite the improvement of Wilson and recognition he's received as a serious Rookie of the Year contender, the Seahawks' offensive backbone is the run game. Playcaller Darrell Bevell hasn't strayed from it all year. After finishing the season third in rushing offense, Wilson and Marshawn Lynch poured 28 combined attempts for 199 yards (7.11 YPC) and a touchdown on Washington's top-five run defense in the Wild Card victory. Seattle imposes its will on the ground, and it's the one area in which Bevell and Carroll own a decided edge on Atlanta. The Falcons' front seven is easily moved in the run game, ranking 21st in regular-season run defense and 29th in yards per carry allowed (4.80).

Seattle's 24-14 Wild Card win over Washington looks rather convincing on paper, but it could've been much more so. Wilson flat missed two would-be touchdown bombs on throws downfield, and No. 2 tight end Anthony McCoy dropped another potential score. The Seahawks must make good on those kinds of opportunities in order to knock off 13-3 Atlanta. ... Look for Sidney Rice to run most of his pass patterns Sunday against Falcons LCB Asante Samuel, while Golden Tate takes on RCB Dunta Robinson. Atlanta's backend matches up well with Seattle's receivers. Tate's bread and butter is run after catch, and Robinson is arguably the premier tackling cornerback in football. Getting open against Samuel is a struggle in and of itself, and some teams discourage their quarterbacks from challenging him at all because Samuel is such a proficient jumper of routes. Unless one somehow catches a break -- like an Atlanta blown coverage -- neither Rice nor Tate seems likely to have a particularly big game. ... In-line tight end Zach Miller stepped up for a team-high 48 yards on four receptions against the Redskins, while Doug Baldwin and fullback Michael Robinson combined for four more grabs, 62 yards, and a touchdown. Robinson, Baldwin, Miller, and the aforementioned McCoy are complementary players in Bevell's offense, but they are capable of efficient football when opportunities arise. If Rice and Tate struggle to get open, as predicted here, a big play from explosive slot man Baldwin could be the difference in this game.

Score Prediction: Seahawks 24, Falcons 23

Last edited:
Is the majority of the money really being bet on ATL? I was sort of arguing with a guy in poker room about that last night. I couldn't imagine ATL getting (65%) of the money when literally every guy Ive come across the last week talking about seattle

Is the majority of the money really being bet on ATL? I was sort of arguing with a guy in poker room about that last night. I couldn't imagine ATL getting (65%) of the money when literally every guy Ive come across the last week talking about seattle

Maybe the big money is coming in on Atlanta while the pub is betting on Seattle?

Back