Friday Discussion Thread

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 21 Fri 2023

Bit of a dilemma for me in the reds/pirates game. Ashcraft is a great pitcher to deal with the pirates lefty/switch hitting lineup, the heavy cutter he throws is really tough on lefties and it shows as he sporting some redic reverse splits in his career., it’s a bummer he not a big strikeout pitcher, he gets more vs lefties but it not really his game. His game is much more inducing soft ground ball contact as the cutter gets similar results to sinkers. When I say redic reverse splits i mean to the tune of righties sporting a .900 ops while lefties barely have a .500 ops, this season lefties have a minuscule .300 ops!! Just insane. Obviously we would like him to be better vs righties, making every right handed hitter a all star is not ideal! That said i don’t think pirates have the ability to put enough solid right handers to stack a lineup and with Ashcraft being a rhp I don’t think they be savvy enough to try and stack lineup with righties, their switch hitters will obviously be hitting from the left side, all this is why I love pirates vs a lot of rhp but tonight it plays into the opposing pitcher hands! Ashcraft is even fanning lefties over 30% of at bats this year but that could just be small sample as that number was only 18% last season, what we can count on his k:bb is much better vs left handers.

All that makes ya think a reds Ff play at plus money would be a slam dunk, and I def lean that way. However the pirates starting a pitcher I been a huge fan of for years and I think keller is finally putting it all together. He has started throwing a cutter which should help him with lefties, unlike Ashcraft he a more traditional righty that better against righties. His swinging strike has never really lined up with the ability but this year is at least up above 10%, i still think it should be higher but it a big improvement from the past few years. Oddly enough keller has never had much success vs the reds, he got smacked around on opening day and even if im willing to forgive that start (which i am) when you look back at last season he got bombed in b2b starts against reds, one at home one on the road, he did come back and have a solid start vs reds at the end the year but overall he hasn’t done well vs a pretty bad reds lineup.

ThAt makes this game tougher, I like the Ff under 4.5 but keller history with cincy does concern me. Despite the struggles w reds I like Keller enough to not be real excited to play reds Ff. Pirates Ff tt un 2.5 very appealing but carries more juice than I would prefer. I was hoping that juice would be lower seeing how pirates significant faves.

I think the best 2 ways to go about it is

Refs Ff ml
Pirates Ff tt un2.5.

Im really surprised how cheap seattle is tonight. I guess they have struggled as much as cardinals but unlike the cardinals I have no real concerns for seattle cause they have one the best pitching staffs in baseball. Cards are not gonna score many runs in this series!

How matz pitches vs a struggling seattle offense is anyones guess? seattle has guys that should hit lefties, they showed some signs against a pretty bad Gomber last week but they were just shut down by Lauer who was able to go 7.2 innings vs them! That worrisome as Lauer is right about a average lefty imo. The problem is I got no clue what matz is? He was pretty good last time out but he got to face a pirates squad I talk about all the time not backing them vs lhp! Before that he was shelled at coors and atl beat him up pretty good. It’s basically a coin flip how matz gonna perform but you add that to our pen who confines to look bad (their top 10 era a bit deceiving imo) it feels rather likely seattle is able to score 4-5 runs here.

Assuming 4-5 runs for seattle I think it pretty easy to get behind them -120ish, I’m not sure who moving that line cards way but I’m sure I don’t get it? Kirby is rock solid, I feel like we can pencil him in for 6+ innings and 1-2 runs allowed. I fully expect seattle pen to pitch better and better as I think they have as many nasty arms down there as most any teams. Don’t let cardinals overall numbers fool you, this team been incredibly dinconsistent, on their last home stand they were averaging less than 3 runs a game before they tacked on 3 meaningless runs Tuesday then exploded for 14 runs getting to see a washed up left hander who just got optioned to minors!! Just like cards the past 5 years on the surface you think they producing runs but it not consistent, they randomly hang a huge number vs bad pitching that covers up the fact they have long stretches where they struggle to score 3!! Contreras appears to be coming around but he tends to get hits in meaningless spots, In close games when he comes up with guys on base he hasn’t delivered.

I don’t think Marmol is doing a good job with roster construction which no surprise as I thought it was a joke they fired Shildt and replaced him with this young, arrogant, asshole!! As if his roster construction isn’t bad enough (and it is bad!) it pales in comparison to how awful he is managing the pitching staff!! Cards have a bunch of relievers who have pretty good stuff but often take a hitter or 2 to find it, yet Marmol insist on sending his starters back out a inning too long and letting them put guys on base before going to the pen, of course those inherited runners coming home cause you pen guys not coming in and getting outs! Know your team and let these guys start a inning clean, that way a walk and/or a bloop hit isn’t a disaster so they can settle down and clean up their own mess! Bringing a struggling Jack flaherty out for the 7th after getting 6 solid innings was beyond stupid, I don’t care where his pitch count was, all I know is flaherty had only gotten 4 swinging strikes the entire game, he wasn’t dominating by any stretch, you take him out after the 6th inning and tell him “good job” which should build his confidence. Instead he comes back out and surprising to nobody other than Marmol he puts on the 1st 2 guys, enter the pen to let them score! He has done this multiple times, I can’t believe I hear chatter of him being one the up and coming young managers! He is not!

All that is to say I think even if matz has a good start which is a coin flip, it is still likely Marmol will mismanage the game and seattle will score 4-5 runs. It possible they jump all over matz and gave over early but that isn’t their only path to getting the runs they need to beat cards here!

Seattle ml
Kirby ov 17.5 outs -130

I don’t like Kirby k prop although cards struck out quite a bit during last home stand it just isn’t Kirby game. He will have games were he fans 6-7-8 but for most part it will be cause he accumulated the k’s as he goes deep into the game. Imo much more value on him giving us 6 innings to cash total outs.

I want to like Kikuchi and the jays but while I think Kikuchi been good he has a alarming thing going on with hr rate and hr per 9, he always been prone to the long ball but it been redic bad this year almost allowing 3 bombs per 9 innings! That not something you feel good about going to pitch in the bronx bandbox. Surprisingly 4 starts at yankee stadium he sporting a 2 era and has only allowed 1 bomb in 22 innings, explain that one to me?!?? A guy who struggles with hr’s somehow doesn’t give them up in that bandbox against a lineup that has plenty of pOp, baseball a crazy game! What I do love is his walks are way down! If he has finally learned better control the home runs not as damning, solo bombs don’t get you beat, it when you walking guys in front of home runs that get you ran from and lose games! Going from a guy we had to worry might walk 4-5 or more in a given start to a guy walking less than 2 per 9 makes him a guy I want to back! To make things even more appealing for tonight he had a helping wind blowing in!

This comes down to would I rather back the jays or Kikuchi ov 5.5 k’s? Both are plus money and both solid plays imo,

I don’t love the idea of fading the Braves but i think hunter brown a way better prospect than elder who throwing a lot of junk. There no question Braves lineup way tougher to pitch to 1-9 and Braves pen has been fantastic, tough game but think there a opportunity for Stros to take a few games this series, if you recall pads fared better in atl than the series they just wrapped up in San Diego.

Interesting “something gotta give” stat of day. marlins havnt scored a 1st inning run in last 9 games, have only scored in the 1st inning 3x all year! they facing Zac plesac who has given up 6 runs in the 1st inning of 3 starts this year on a ops allowed of 1.200!! For his career he has a 4.50 era which the worst of any inning for him! Lean fish 1st 5 innings

Cubs are no joke.

I mentioned in the futures thread before start of year they might be worth a flier, I love what they did with the lineup, the pitching still has some question marks for me but I think they a .500 team at worst. The problem is everyone in the central has gotten better except for the cards who I been saying in trouble with that pitching staff of theirs that is gross! If brewers offense is really this improved nobody catching them with their pitching, unlike a lot of ppl I don’t think the pirates going anywhere cause I like their young pitching and their lineup a issue for middling right handers. Even reds got those 3 young stud pitchers! Nl central is no longer a joke that for sure and cards could very well be battling reds to stay out the basement unless they find some pitching I don’t know about! They gonna have to trade some their outfield depth to bring in a legit pitcher and they need to do it way before the trade deadline! I sure hope their big plan isnt “wait till 45 year old waino gets back!” Lol.

Freddy p over 5.5 k’s is tempting even tho Red Sox don’t strike out a real lot vs rhp. Gotta like Freddy p chances of going 6 in which case he should fan at least 6.

I don’t particularly like Lorenzen but 3.5 a pretty small number for a guy who has always generated swings and misses. O’s not above striking out, the only concern here would be he gets chased from the game super early. If he can make it 4-5 innings he shouldn’t have any problem hitting this number.

What a way to lose the perfecto. I'm glad - he doesn't need to be throwing 120 pitches in April.

Full card

Reds Ff ml
Pirates Ff tt un2.5

Seattle ml
Kirby ov 17.5 outs

Fish Ff ml

Lorenzen ov 3.5 k’s

I don’t really like kopech, he hasn’t fared very well transitioning to starter. It’s getting to the point I’d think bout putting him back in pen where he elite. That said this a really big number for rays throwing a opener. Cws feels like the right side to me but just passing.

Full card

Reds Ff ml
Pirates Ff tt un2.5

Seattle ml
Kirby ov 17.5 outs

Fish Ff ml

Lorenzen ov 3.5 k’s

Shoulda took the +.5 on reds and fish got rained out but looking like no loss card. (Dunno why I didn’t play jays or Stros).

rays are opener kings, i don't downgrade them for it much at all

Cws had them beat and let it go, glad I dislike Kopech enough to pass, once again he wasn’t good but the offense overcame him, 3 in bottom the 9th woulda royally pissed me off, lol. Im gonna be tempted again on Saturday, I like the price for Cease vs McClanahan.

Back