FIFA basically admits theyve dropped the ball...

Everyone actually needs to read about Jack Warner, because this guy a great example of how to do it right.

Lets start off with the fact that FIFA criticized England for paying for a $55,000 gala to try to "woo" him to get his support. FIFA acknowledges the MILLION dollar payment that a Qatari official sent him, but don't think its very important. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, the FBI is currently investigating him?

It all starts in 2006, when he began funneling ticket profits from the 2006 World Cup into his own personal checking account. FIFA fined him a million dollars, he considered the debt settled with a 250K payment

When Trinidad and Tobago played Scotland, he asked the Scottish FA to make out the game check to him, personally

With the Haiti earthquake, the Trinidad and Tobago football federation had collected funds to send to Haiti, instead they went to Mr. Warner's checking account

this guy is a world class criminal

[h=1]FIFA to vote on publishing Garcia report[/h]<figure class="video" style="margin: 44px 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; transition: margin 0.25s; -webkit-transition: margin 0.25s;">

<figcaption style="padding: 22px 0px 24px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(241, 241, 241); font-stretch: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; font-family: BentonSans;">FIFA's Secretary General insists ongoing claims of corruption and confusion over the Garcia report have not cost them sponsors.</figcaption>
</figure>FIFA's executive committee will next week be asked to vote on whether the Garcia report into World Cup bidding should be published.
i
[h=4]FIFA REPORT: THE FALLOUT[/h]- Valcke: FIFA reputation has been damaged
- Sony 'to end FIFA sponsorship'
- FIFA agrees to review corruption report
- WATCH: Auclair dismisses report as 'farce'
- FIFA files criminal complaint over bids
- Garcia lodges appeal against report
- Marcotti: Will football leave FIFA behind?
- Smith: Only fans have power to change FIFA
- Qatar whistleblower condemns report
- FA Chief: Process 'a joke'
- Timeline | Key Findings | Report

German FIFA member Theo Zwanziger will formally put forward the proposal at the ExCo meeting in Marrakesh, according to Press Association Sport.
Zwanziger has proposed that the names contained in the 430 page report be redacted.
There have been widespread calls for FIFA to publish the report, but officials including FIFA ethics judge Hans-Joachim Eckert and president Sepp Blatter have said that this would not be possible legally.
FIFA published its agenda for the meeting on Thursday but confirmed only that, under FIFA ethics committee business, there will be "13.1.3. Proposal submitted by Theo Zwanziger."
Zwanziger wants fellow members to agree to a change of the ethics code which, via Article 36, currently prohibits the publication.
Garcia has compiled a report into the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, won by Russia and Qatar respectively. The American lawyer has also appealed against the initial findings into his report, delivered by German judge Eckert which criticised England's bid but cleared Russia and Qatar to host the tournaments.
Zwanziger told the Germany press agency DPA: "I would like to see this ban relaxed so that the FIFA executive committee, as well as the public, in an appropriate form can be informed of the contents of the investigation.''
Zwanziger has previously said awarding the 2022 World Cup to Qatar was "one of the biggest mistakes ever in the history of sport'' and in September suggested it will be moved from the country due to the scorching heat.
FIFA responded to that remark by insisting the tournament will definitely be staged in Qatar -- a process is underway to decide on what time of year it will be held.

im surprised it hasn't been 'leaked' yet

also its hilarious they want the names redacted, when they already themselves figured out the names of the whistleblowers

Full circle to Alex's first post in the thread...

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/02/18/world-cup-2022-qatar-winter-mls-cba-fifa-womens-club
2022 World Cup in Qatar to be held in winter

BY GRANT WAHL
Posted: Wed Feb. 18, 2015

The 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar will be held in November and December in order to alleviate concerns about the extreme temperatures in the summer.

Multiple sources say it's a done deal that World Cup 2022 will take place in November and December of 2022 in Qatar. A FIFA task force will meet in Doha next week and make that recommendation, and the FIFA Executive Committee is set to make the decision final at its meeting in Zurich next month.

The current plan is for only one European club season to be impacted schedule-wise, which the clubs are hoping to achieve by cutting some international dates. One key question is what to do about Confederations Cup the year before, but the big World Cup decision has been made. Set your calendars for November-December of 2022.

not sure about Wahl's rep for breaking this news, he's the only reporting this and everyone is quoting him.

But seems like fox was given 2026 rights for free (didn't even hear a bidding) to compensate for 2022. That part of the season conflicts with NFL and NCAAF.

I was confident that the WC would be held in Qatar, I now have my doubts. This simply can not happen.

Was watching Around the Horn today and Bomani Jones made the suggestion that FIFA can't do this because of the NFL.

I have news for Bomani, no one in FIFA gives a flying fuck about the NFL. Besides the point that the WC games are gonna be on in the middle of the night and early morning here

But this can not happen because of the club season

I would be highly against this.

They don't really care but they recognize that the NFL is enough of an issue to just give the next WC rights to Fox without even putting it up for bid

But you're mostly right...the NFL isn't an international issue. And the human rights violations should be front and center but FIFA don't give a fuck

Who "gave" the 2026 rights to Fox? FIFA? If so, they care about the NFL

And that would be absurd, because if the US has any market say in anything regarding the World Cup FIFA has failed worse than the abortion of giving Qatar the thing in the first place. The NFL and US viewership should be about as relevant as Madagascar's viewership.

If the US or interests were relevant at all the WC wouldn't be played in a region where games are played overnight here, the NFL and it's shills think they are so global, what a joke. Just keep fighting domestic violence and concussion with dramatic ads and stfu.

I would argue that FIFA is the only organization in sports worse than the NFL. Crazy how they are letting slave labor occur with an average of one worker death per day to build these stadiums

Just like the nfl they know they can do just about anything and people will still watch

I would argue that FIFA is the only organization in sports worse than the NFL. Crazy how they are letting slave labor occur with an average of one worker death per day to build these stadiums
Once a domestic assault occurs, I'm sure the governing body will step in.

Who "gave" the 2026 rights to Fox? FIFA? If so, they care about the NFL

And that would be absurd, because if the US has any market say in anything regarding the World Cup FIFA has failed worse than the abortion of giving Qatar the thing in the first place. The NFL and US viewership should be about as relevant as Madagascar's viewership.

If the US or interests were relevant at all the WC wouldn't be played in a region where games are played overnight here, the NFL and it's shills think they are so global, what a joke. Just keep fighting domestic violence and concussion with dramatic ads and stfu.

to me them 'giving' the 2026 rights shows how little they care

they essentially said stop bitching heres the next round for free, no chance they do that to a European or Asian station, too much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

to me them 'giving' the 2026 rights shows how little they care

they essentially said stop bitching heres the next round for free, no chance they do that to a European or Asian station, too much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This is interesting

My gut tells me that this means that there is close to no chance the World Cup is held in North America in 2026. I mean FIFA would want a bidding war Between the Us Stations if it was

But... What if FIFA who is already getting pummeled for this Qatar debacle essentially gave Fox the 2026 rights in a tourney held in North America and in exchange they get 100% support in the move to the 22 WC being played in the winter knowing full well Fox doesn't want to have this going on during a NFL and college season( even though the games will be played in the middle of the night here, I think). Buy at least 1 supporter in this mess, and a fairly powerful supporter at that.

Real conspiracy theory shit, but kinda makes me wonder.

On another note this is just a debacle for all the European leagues. seems like a lost club season especially for some of the top leagues and clubs. The World Cup takes a lot out of these players from a physical and mental standpoint..

it's going to be interesting

I imagine that the leagues will probably start in late July or Early August that year, the CL schedule will have to be changed, and then the leagues will end in mid-June instead of mid-May, so from a year round football perspective it will be a fun year

and think of something like the Bundesliga, they take January off anyway because of the weather, so now they essentially get a 3 month break? (assuming this starts mid-late november, players are allowed to leave 2 weeks early and it ends right before christmas?)

the times of the games will be interesting, it's the same time zone as Russia, 7 hours ahead of EST, 10 ahead of PST

so if they follow the game times of Brazil (local 2pm, 5pm, 8pm) it will be

6am EST
9am EST
12pm EST

that being said, for Qatar especially, I can see that being made later because in a country like that I don't see them expecting local crowds, something like

10am EST
1pm EST
3pm EST

gets them on a good hour in North and South America, and in Europe the games are on in prime time (3pm, 6pm, 9pm)

for Russia I could see them maybe pushing back 2 hours, but not 4

2026 is US or Mexico I think

it can't be Asia or Europe, I don't know if another African country will host for awhile, South America will want Uruguay for 2030 for 100th anniversary

the only african country capable of hosting it, and even this is a stretch (outside of S. africa) is Morroco

Wouldn't be Canada unless they replace the fields (the girls would just love that if that were to happen).

well the internet says that mexico and canada are confirmed, but nothing from the usa

Morocco and USA are listed as potential

I think it might go to Morocco if thats the case

Is it UEFA or FIFA that requires those 5 star stadiums, because other than BC Place and Rogers Centre, we don't really have any stadiums that would qualify.

Admittedly, it would be good for us, because that's about the only way we'd ever manage to qualify for the World Cup...

Y'know, with all the drama surrounding Qatar, kind of funny how no one's mentioning Russia. Between the growing instability in the region (admittedly brought on by themselves) plus the fact that Russia could be broke by then, not so sure it's a given...

Y'know, with all the drama surrounding Qatar, kind of funny how no one's mentioning Russia. Between the growing instability in the region (admittedly brought on by themselves) plus the fact that Russia could be broke by then, not so sure it's a given...

The economy is struggling but they are far from being broke.

<header id="story-header" class="story-header" style="position: relative; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: nyt-cheltenham, georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 16px;">http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/sports/soccer/why-fifa-made-deal-with-fox-for-2026-cup.html?_r=0
<time class="dateline" datetime="2015-02-26" style="font-size: 0.6875rem; line-height: 0.75rem; font-family: nyt-cheltenham-sh, georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
</time>
Why FIFA Made Deal With Fox for 2026 Cup

<time class="dateline" datetime="2015-02-26" style="font-size: 0.6875rem; line-height: 0.75rem; font-family: nyt-cheltenham-sh, georgia, 'times new roman', times, serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">FEB. 26, 2015
</time>
By
RICHARD SANDOMIR</header>

When FIFA sold the 2026 World Cup rights in the United States to Fox Sports and Telemundo this month, the announcement came with few details and no explanation for its timing.

Why, 11 years before the tournament was to be played, did the agreement need to be made, especially if the United States had a chance to host the Cup?

Why, without having televised a single World Cup match under their 2018 and 2022 deals, were Fox and Telemundo being rewarded with a third cycle of World Cup events?

And why would FIFA’s TV director later that day say the deal was made after “reviewing the market for its media rights” without talking to ESPN and Univision, its former rights holders, in that review?

Earlier this week, FIFA dropped its drawers a bit to provide a glimpse at its motivation. Jerome Valcke, the organization’s secretary general, said the deal with Fox was made to avoid facing a lawsuit from the media giant over shifting the 2022 Cup from the heat of the Qatari summer to the late fall and winter. The admission was surprising, but it made sense.

The summer is a less competitive time for viewers and advertisers than the late fall and winter, so Fox was unhappy at the prospect of FIFA moving the World Cup from its traditional June-July time frame — a decision that is now a fait accompli. Fox might have been fighting a losing legal battle because FIFA contracts do not disclose the time of year that a World Cup is to be played, just the year, according to executives who have seen them. But a potential court fight raised the delicious possibility of deposing Sepp Blatter, FIFA’s president, and other executives, on American turf.

FIFA executives would prefer to keep their organizational secrets out of the American court system. The organization has done its best to quash the full disclosure of a 430-page report by its chief investigator, Michael Garcia, into allegations of corruption in the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Garcia had dug into those allegations for more than a year but resigned after only a summary of his report — one that he said had distorted his findings — was released. A fuller but redacted version, which FIFA said last December was forthcoming, has yet to come forth.

Having fostered such opacity to maintain its self-preservation, FIFA must have calculated it was best to mollify Fox, not fight it. What has financial hardball yielded for Fox? An apparently sweet deal. According to an executive made aware of the terms of the contract, Fox will pay about 10 percent more than in its current contracts for 2018 and 2022, which are worth a total of $425 million. In Canada, CTV and TSN, networks owned by Bell Media, will pay about 4 percent more than the $40 million they are scheduled to pay in 2022, and will pay an extra 10 percent if the United States hosts the 2026 tournament.

This is an odd way to value elite soccer rights. Two days before the 2026 deals with FIFA were announced, the English Premier League announced that Sky and BT had agreed to pay $7.8 billion to carry its games from 2016 to 2018, a 70 percent leap above current payments.

Juan Carlos Rodriguez, the president of sports for Univision Communications, said in a phone interview Thursday that FIFA failed to maximize the value of the United States rights in its deals with Fox and Telemundo and that the agreements jeopardized the possibility of the 2026 World Cup coming to America.

“If the rights are already fixed,” he said, “there’s little incentive to FIFA to award 2026 to the U.S.” He added: “If we had been asked to bid, we would have taken it very seriously.”

It is rather backward to sell the TV rights before the host country is chosen, especially if you’re selling rights to American networks for what could be an American World Cup.

John Skipper, the president of ESPN, said by phone, “We’re puzzled as to why FIFA wouldn’t talk to their former partner, which did an outstanding job.” But, he added, he understood why it happened, thanks to Valcke’s comments. “They were forced to do it in order to avoid legal consequences,” Skipper said.

ESPN and Univision, which are still stung at losing the open bidding for the 2018 and 2022 tournaments, are smarting at being excluded from bidding for the 2026 Cup.

They felt blindsided, as did M.L.S., which would have liked to be embedded in the deal as a way to build the sport in the United States. All sides were hoping that they had gotten a heads-up that the 2026 deal was in the works — as long ago as early December — from Sunil Gulati, the president of U.S. Soccer and a member of the FIFA executive committee.

How much and how well he lobbied to open the bidding is not known, and confidentiality kept him from informing anyone, even the U.S. Soccer board, about his knowledge of the coming deals.

Those who hoped for Gulati to strongly object over the sweetheart deals during FIFA’s direct talks with Fox and Telemundo doubtlessly wanted him to follow the lead of the former American soccer powerhouse, Chuck Blazer. In 2005, from his seat on the FIFA executive committee, Blazer persuaded the organization to stop considering a pre-emptive offer by NBC and Telemundo for the 2010 and 2014 World Cups and open up the bidding, which was won by ESPN and Univision.

Blazer seemed almost heroic to ESPN, Univision and M.L.S. back then. But in recent years, he has been accused of many counts of corruption.

and the USA isnt getting a World Cup team, thanks FBI

Sources tell E:60 that Sepp Blatter has decided, due to the FBI investigation, that it would be unwise to set foot on American soil.

Most people around the world aren't shocked by FIFA anymore. It's sort of expected, nothing anybody can do about it, so they shrug their shoulders and move on

The reason why the United States brought charges against the suspects is because the plots were allegedly hatched on American soil.
"According to U.S. request, these crimes were agreed and prepared in the U.S., and payments were carried out via U.S. banks," the Swiss Office of Justice said.
Prosecutors also believe the broad reach of U.S. tax and banking regulations aid their ability to bring the charges.
In addition, U.S. authorities claim jurisdiction because the American television market, and billions paid by U.S. networks, is the largest for the World Cup.

It's about time. Stop letting these crooks award this tournament to ill prepared third world countries for kickbacks.

DOJ alleges a United States company was sending huge bribes to Brazil confederation.. Nike is a huge Brazil sponsor

Alx if the FBI gets us this thing for 2022 I'm going to need a driver for that whole summer to take me from game to game,take care of dry cleaning and restaurant reservations, light my cigar and shine my Maurizis. Since you've been asking for years, I'll give you first dibs on the job.

Back