FIFA basically admits theyve dropped the ball...

Sorry,I didnt wanna see anyone arguing,I was just saying.
Thing is,here,the culture is different.Sport is everything to most people.Everyone supports one team or another.
Same as gambling,its just part of life.... Women at work know the difference between 13/8 and 7/4 ,women know about it,if they dont they play bingo or slot machines or something else,I dont know one person who doesnt gamble..Sport and Gambling go hand in hand here,they only play the games or run the races for us to bet on.
The oldest woman I work with is 66.
When she has finished work,everyday,without fail.... after shes finished,she heads to the betting shop(bookies) and spends 2 hours a day betting the horses :)

not Qatar related but still World Cup news...funny I bet Qatar would have no problem finish on time with the money falling out of their asses, while Brasil is still struggling.

SAO PAULO -- Brazil is running out of time.
World Cup organizers will mark 100 days to go on Tuesday with work still to be done on stadiums and infrastructure in the 12 host cities.
[h=4]ESPN FC WORLD CUP COLLECTION[/h]
ESPN FC and Medium have created a place for soccer fans to share their thoughts about the beautiful game. If you've got something to say about the World Cup, this is where you'll want to say it.

<center style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent;">
</center><center style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent;">
soc_g_villa01jr_134x75.jpg
</center>
Visit Medium.com and write: What does the World Cup mean to you?Submit

[h=4]ESPN FC Editor's Picks[/h]
Why the final doesn't matter
Loving the beautiful game
Tears and penalty kicks
Editor's Collection

As national teams enter their final phase of preparations -- Wednesday in the only date this year before mid-May that all players are available to national teams for exhibitions -- the Brazilian government is trying to ensure the country will be prepared for the 32-nation tournament, which opens June 12. Brazil had nearly seven years to prepare after winning the bid in 2007.
There are four stadiums still under construction, and work outside many venues is far from over. Airports likely won't have all the work completed, and many urban projects initially expected to be ready for the World Cup won't be finished until after the event.
Doubts also remain about whether host cities will be meet FIFA's requirements for fan areas with outdoor viewing screens.
Only six of the dozen stadiums were completed by last year's deadline. Two may be ready less than a month before the World Cup begins, including the Sao Paulo site of the opener between Brazil and Croatia.
FIFA expected Itaquerao to be ready in mid-April, but FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said last week the venue will not be ready before May 15.
The other venue with a tight schedule is in the southern city of Curitiba, which until a few weeks ago was in danger of being dropped. Local organizers said they believe the stadium will be ready by the end of April, but FIFA expects it to be finalized in mid-May.
There also is concern with the wetlands city of Cuiaba, where the stadium is not ready and work outside the venue seems far from complete.
"We have to work in conditions where the cement is not even dry (and) we already put things in place," Valcke said. "There is no criticism, there is just a challenge. For sure the stadiums are beautiful. It will work, and you will have what you expected."
Equipping a stadium to World Cup working standards requires 90 days, so FIFA and local organizers will have to start installing temporary structures needed for media and sponsors while construction work continues outside the venues.
Another FIFA concern is with the fan fests. FIFA marketing director Thierry Weil said this month that soccer's governing body could sue the venues that breach their contract.
The northeastern city of Recife announced recently that it will not spend public money on the event and is seeking private partners.

This could be bad. Russia got pounded three weeks ago about lodging prior to the start of the Olympics. Brazil can't get their shit together with the damn stadiums and appear to be reneging on some of the fan zones and what not. Oh the humanity!

This could be bad. Russia got pounded three weeks ago about lodging prior to the start of the Olympics. Brazil can't get their shit together with the damn stadiums and appear to be reneging on some of the fan zones and what not. Oh the humanity!

thing with Russia, money wasn't an issue, workers were getting paid.
the workers in Brasil are protesting a lot due to poor pay and conditions

Maybe Brazil shouldn't have spent so much in bribes then! Bazinga!!!!!

haha, Brasil just as corrupt.
my Brasilian friends here knew that it would be a bad idea to host a big event simply because the people there are lazy, all they want to do is party and work.
the Rio olympics is going to face the same issue to.
I would honestly like the WC to be back in North America, I think with David Beckham investing and possibly the Arabs as well into the MLS there could be a push, could also do a joint thing with Canada but think border issues going to be a pain in the ass.
Funny how countries of recent sporting events have shit the bed? Ukraine for Euro 2012 and Winter olympics

Maybe this is elitist, but do you have much faith anybody to get a job done on this scale with almost zero concern outside of western Europe or North America? Japan and/or South Korea probably, but anyone else? I'm sure there might be a few, but not many.

no. I'd be fine with keeping international competitions in north america, western europe, australia and Japan/korea.

Maybe this is elitist, but do you have much faith anybody to get a job done on this scale with almost zero concern outside of western Europe or North America? Japan and/or South Korea probably, but anyone else? I'm sure there might be a few, but not many.

Not really because a lot of those nations that would win the rights to host usually have a ton of money to buy it but have no real long term plan after it.
Africa will never host another event, there is not one nation that is capable of doing it whether it's money or politics its just not the right fit. Asia, China has the resources and size to host it, whether they want to do it is another thing again politics will come to play. South Korea/Japan worked out well as there was a long term plan and is still being used today. Politically speaking there were no issues.

The key is, which country is going to bribe the officials more for the votes.

The US/Canada have the size, the infrastructure, manpower and future plan to host big events, but hey we need to give it to a newbie someone who will expose the game, pity votes will come in for other nations no matter how good of a concept US/Canada may have.

Really the only countries that should host the world cup, England/UK, Germany, US/Canada, South Korea/Japan maybe Australia.
Spain could but financially they are broke, Italy could but they are corrupt as fuck, France could but they already had one and politically still fucked.

The darkhorse could be Scandinavia, financially it wouldn't be an issue, long term plans will be the question mark. Politically speaking they are very neutral

I'd be fine with just Western europe hosting every world cup. hell, even multiples countries. the top two cities/venues in each countries. these cities all are already developed and can support it.

Euro 2020 is where things get interesting.
There is no host nation instead to celebrate the 60th year of Euro, 13 cities from 13 countries.

oopsy

FIFA must rerun the bidding process for the 2022 World Cup if new allegations of corruption are proven, an MP who co-authored a report on football governance has told Sky Sports.
A report in the Daily Telegraph has claimed that Jack Warner, the former FIFA vice-president, and his family were paid almost $2million (£1.2million) from a Qatari firm linked to the country's successful bid for the 2022 World Cup.
A spokesman for the Qatar 2022 World Cup committee has insisted they "strictly adhered to FIFA's bidding regulations".
However, the FBI are reportedly investigating the allegations and MP Damian Collins told Sky Sports News that the bidding process must be rerun if the allegations are proven.
"If these allegations are proven, if the FBI, whose investigation it is, can come forward with the evidence, I don't think that FIFA have any choice," he told Sky Sports.
"If there was corruption involved in the voting process, and the exchange of money linked to votes, how on earth could they just ignore that and let the competition go ahead without any kind of rerun."
Warner and his family were allegedly paid more than £1million by a Qatari company which was owned by Mohammed Bin Hammam, who was given a life ban in 2012 by the governing body following allegations of conflicts of interest" during his time as head of football in Asia.
165012893_3356578440001_video-still-for-video-3355597940001.jpg
[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.901961)]​

Qatar World Cup under threat?

[/COLOR]
Some of those payments were allegedly made after Qatar won the right to host the 2022 World Cup.
[h=4]Extremely serious[/h]"It is extremely serious," said Collins, who was on the Culture, Media and Sport select committee 2010-12.
"The allegations suggest that two of the most senior people in football - one very closely associated with the Qatari bid and the head of football in Asia [Mohammed Bin Hammam] and another man, Jack Warner, who was the head of football in the Americas may have been involved in an exchange of money that was linked to the voting process that awarded Qatar the World Cup.
"So it is very serious for them and I think that it compromises the whole Qatar World Cup for 2022."
Half of the 22 FIFA members who voted for Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup have now left the organisation. And Collins insisted that FIFA have lost any credibility in their ability to investigate the bidding process around the 2022 World Cup.
[h=5]No confidence[/h]"I don't have any confidence in Sepp Blatter's ability or desire to do that [investigate the allegations]," said Collins.
"Here we are two years after these allegations around people like Jack Warner and Mohammed Bin Hammam first broke. We are seeing new evidence, not being produced by FIFA but being produced by a national organisation like the FBI.
"They [FIFA] need to bring in independent people who can go anywhere, look at anything, and there has to be a new code for the executive committee, where their commercial interests inside and outside of football, and that of their family members, need to be publicly known."
He added: "For FIFA to be respected as an institution around the world, they would have to look again at the process to award the competition to Qatar.
"And sadly I think this whole episode, and these new allegations, will just confirm what many people believe, that the decision to give the World Cup to Qatar was based on money and not on the interests of sport."

BI has added a couple more reasons

SPORTSMore: 2022 World Cup Qatar Soccer World Cup
14 Reasons Why The Qatar World Cup Is Going To Be A Disaster

TONY MANFRED

APR. 21, 2014, 1:43 PM 129,746 92

qatar-soccer.jpg
Sean Gallup/Getty Images

The decision to award Qatar the 2022 World Cup was met with widespread skepticism.Qatar's lack of infrastructure and soccer tradition, combined with questions about the country's human rights record and bribery allegations, made it the most controversial World Cup host nation ever.
Nearly four years later, as the 2022 World Cup fast approaches, those initial questions haven't been answered.
In fact, things seems to be getting worse.
1. A human rights agency estimates that 4,000 construction workers will die building World Cup-related infrastructure.

The International Trade Union Confederation reports that 1,200 migrant workers from Nepal and India have died in Qatar since the country won the World Cup back in 2010. Qatar and FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) recently developed a new human rights protocol to deal with the allegations.
doha-construction-qatar.jpg
Sean Gallup/Getty Images

2. There are widespread bribery allegations. The 10-year-old daughter of a disgraced FIFA official who voted for Qatar reportedly received a $3.4 million payment a year after the vote.

FIFA executive committee member Ricardo Teixeira of Brazil stepped down in 2012 amid bribery allegations after voting for the Qatar World Cup. The payment to Teixeira's daughter was believed to be made by ex-Barcelona FC president Sandro Rosell, the Telegraph reports, who brokered a $210 million sponsorship deal with the Qatar Foundation a week after the World Cup vote.
ricardo-teixeira.jpg
Getty Images
Ricardo Teixeira

3. Another disgraced FIFA official, Jack Warner, was allegedly paid $2 million by a Qatari firm after voting for Qatar.

Warner, who was once caught on tape talking about accepting bribes, was banned for life by FIFA's ethics committee in 2011. The FBI is currently investigating $2 million in payments made to Warner and his family from a Qatari firm owned by another ex-FIFA executive shortly after the Qatar World Cup vote.
screen%20shot%202014-03-18%20at%2011.20.52%20am.png
Jack Warner talking about bribes

4. Qatar is allegedly using "modern-day slavery" to build the infrastructure.

The Guardian had a big report about the mistreatment of Nepalese migrant workers in Qatar. The workers — some of whom are working on the planned city which will host the 2022 World Cup final — accused their employers of withholding pay, forcing them to work in heat without water, making them live in squalid camps, and confiscating their passports to keep them from leaving the country.
From June to August of 2013, at least 44 Nepalese died in Qatar from working construction, the Guardian reports.
qatar-world-cup-workers.jpg

5. It's 120 degrees in summer so they'll probably have to play the tournament in winter.

During the bidding process, Qatar said they would host the event in summer. Now pretty much everyone has abandoned that idea, and FIFA will vote on the matter next year.
qatar-desert.jpg
Christof Koepsel/Getty Images

6. Including infrastructure, it's going to cost $200 billion — four times the amount Russia spent on the historically expensive Sochi Olympics.

Costs are already getting so out of control that Qatar will only build eight stadiums, as opposed to the 12 that were originally planned.
qatar-world-cup-sea.jpg
Handout/Getty Images

7. Homosexuality is illegal there.

While Qatar has more liberal policies than many Middle Eastern countries, it still has strict anti-Yag laws. FIFA president Sepp Blatter recommended that Yag men who want to go to the World Cup should "refrain from any sexual activities."
qatar-skyscrapers.jpg
Sean Gallup/Getty Images

8. There are no World Cup-ready stadiums there.

All of the venues need to be built from scratch. As we saw with the record $50-billion Sochi Olympics, building these things from scratch is an incredibly expensive and unpredictable enterprise.
qatar-world-cup-stadiums.jpg
Clive Rose/Getty Images

9. Entire cities that are necessary to host the event don't exist yet.

The country doesn't have the stadiums, hotels, or infrastructure to the host the event, so they have to build it all from scratch before 2022. By comparison, it cost South Africa $3.5 billion to host the 2010 World Cup.
The city that will host the final, Lusail City, doesn't exist yet.
qatar-world-cup-plans.jpg
Handout/Getty Images

10. The futuristic air-conditioned stadiums that Qatar promised to build aren't actually possible.

Qatar promised to build space-age stadiums that had unprecedented cooling technology so that the event could be held during the summer. But after they won the bid, they scrapped that plan. According to ESPN, the architecture firm that will build the stadium said "the system is too expensive and 'notoriously unsustainable' for the environment when used on a large scale."
qatar-world-cup-fake-stadium.jpg
Handout/Getty Images

11. Playing it in winter will totally screw up the European leagues.

For many of these huge global stars, the club matters more than the country. While the World Cup is a huge event, postponing the English, Spanish, and Italian leagues will be a huge headache for everyone involved.
9-19-2013%208-15-37%20am.jpg
UEFA

12. FIFA will have to renegotiate all the TV contracts.

FIFA is holding secret talks with television networks from across the world in case the World Cup is moved to the winter, the Telegraph reports. Fox paid a record $425 million for the next two tournaments under the assumption that it would be played in summer and not clash with the NFL.
129893545.jpg
Harold Cunningham/Getty Images

13. It'll get drowned out by football in America.

The World Cup is the only time when mainstream America pays attention to soccer. If it has to compete with the NFL it'd be a disaster, especially if it's held in January and goes up against the playoffs.
nfl-fans6.jpg
Andy Lyons/Getty Images

14. They probably won't sell beer in the stadiums.

There are select hotels and bars in Doha where you're allowed to drink. But you can't have alcohol or be drunk in public. It will be the most sober World Cup ever.
qatar-soccer-8.jpg
Sean Gallup/Getty Images

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/qatar-world-cup-problems-2014-4#ixzz2zrvycpdc

FIFA probably won't do a damn thing here, but someone needs to stand up and be a leader.

Set some strict timelines, demand safe labor conditions, etc..If they aren't met pull the damn thing from this country..

seems like preparations in Qatar are going as expected

[video=youtube;7pF464PngD8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7pF464PngD8[/video]

I wonder how visible these are to the tourists and how big this story will be during the WC.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/3yX7c/embed"></iframe>

ha Alex said human rights issue here is of no concern. Well when you have this many workers dying due to just poor working conditions, that's an epidemic

speaking to a lot of brasilians here and most are not too happy about the world cup.
it's going to be a big mistake with the economy, the rich get richer and the poor well you've seen the conditions they are in. More violence will erupt, also if Brasil don't win the world cup there is going to be mayhem. They need the team to win in order to keep people paying attention and not causing a ruckus so I won't be surprised if they at least make the finals based on just being the host as most people have assumed.

not shocking.

I think if it gets moved ( which I'm not convinced it will), it will be more on the stance on gays and labor conditions

I'm still fairly confident this thing goes down in the summer of 2022 in Qatar. Too much money has been spent. I also still believe human rights issues wont phase FIFA too much.

I think the Russian World Cup is interesting one. I seriously wonder if FIFA threatened to pull the WC and hold it in the USA if this makes any difference in Putin's actions with the Ukraine. That would be far worse then any economic sanctions that have happened so far

I'm still fairly confident this thing goes down in the summer of 2022 in Qatar. Too much money has been spent. I also still believe human rights issues wont phase FIFA too much.

I think the Russian World Cup is interesting one. I seriously wonder if FIFA threatened to pull the WC and hold it in the USA if this makes any difference in Putin's actions with the Ukraine. That would be far worse then any economic sanctions that have happened so far

that is pretty much the headlines dude

Qatar will start hiding it better. If there's one thing I know wk not change anything, it's human right abuses

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ogzjfJtg3TA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

make our dream come true

Football Association chairman Greg Dyke has called for a re-vote for the right to stage the 2022 World Cup if allegations of corruption against Qatar are proven.
The Sunday Times has claimed to be in receipt of "hundreds of millions" of documents which allegedly detail payments to FIFA officials from disgraced former FIFA executive committee member Mohamed Bin Hammam.
The Qatar 2022 World Cup bid committee has issued a statement dismissing the allegations of bribery in return for votes for the country.
But Dyke has joined the calls for an in-depth investigation into the allegations, although the bid is already being probed by FIFA's chief investigator Michael Garcia.
The FA chairman told Sky Sports News: "If there is a proper investigation and that investigation says that there was corruption involved, which I know the Qataris are denying, then obviously there will have to be a re-vote.
"For a lot of people it was a surprise the Qataris won and won easily because there is no real footballing tradition in Qatar.
"It's a small country - does it need eight football stadiums? And of course the heat there in the summer makes playing a tournament virtually impossible.
"Those who decided where this tournament was going to go were told that."
[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.901961)]​

FIFA vice-president Jim Boyce says there could be a re-vote on where the 2022 World Cup will be staged if corruption allegations are proven.

John Whittingdale, chairman of the Commons Culture, Media and Sport select committee, accused FIFA of attempting to "brush off the allegations" over the last two years.
Whittingdale insisted that world football's governing body should have acted more thoroughly when allegations of corruption first surfaced in 2012.
He said: "My committee examined allegations two years ago that there had been corrupt payments involved in the decision, and we called for a full, transparent investigation.
"However, since then, FIFA have attempted to brush off the allegations and not taken them anything like sufficiently seriously.
"If these revelations in the Sunday Times prove to be correct they are obviously extremely serious."
Whittingdale argued that FIFA president Sepp Blatter's position was "almost untenable" as he had not taken the allegations seriously.
He added: "There have already been serious doubts raised about the capability of Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup on football grounds.
"If the choice of Qatar was as a result of improper payments being made, then that strengthens an already strong case for re-running the whole 2022 contest."

<header id="yui_3_16_0_1_1401811377907_1439">Unfinished Sao Paulo stadium holds final test at less than full capacity before hosting World Cup opener

</header> <cite class="byline vcard top-line" style="font-style: normal; line-height: 12.100000381469727px;">By Brooks Peck<abbr style="display: block;">22 hours ago</abbr></cite>Dirty Tackle

<figure class=" cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox " data-id="16148107-42c4-3a70-a103-1a2d6fb92794" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1401811377907_1302" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; cursor: pointer;">
</figure>

A little more than a week until Brazil hosts Croatia in the opening match of the 2014 World Cup, the unfinished Sao Paulo stadium in which they will play held its final test before being pushed to maximum capacity for the main event. A temporary stand that will push the Itaquerao Stadium's capacity over 65,000 for the World Cup opener was closed off for Sunday's Brazilian Serie A match between Corinthians and Botafogo since the fire department still had to to perform weight stress tests on it (that will happen Wednesday).

As a result, only 40,000 tickets were made available for the match, which went off without a hitch and ended in a 1-1 draw. It is one of three World Cup stadiums that has yet to be finished along with Natal and Porto Alegre.
From the LA Times:

“The stadium is marvelous, but it's not even finished! And that's completely unacceptable,” said Fernando Martin, a 33-year-old construction worker and lifelong fan of Corinthians, which tied Rio de Janeiro opponent Botafogo, 1-1, Sunday. “It should have been done months ago.”

The Sao Paulo stadium's construction has been marred by tragedy as three people have died in two separate incidents. First, a crane collapse killed two workers and damaged the final section of the stadium last November. Then in March another worker fell to his death while installing floors in the temporary stand.
<figure class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" data-orig-index="0" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1401811377907_1395" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; cursor: pointer;">

</figure>​
Completion of the glass roof that was planned to provide cover for fans was postponed until after the World Cup due to the delays in construction. Once the tournament is over, the temporary stand will be removed and permanent capacity for the stadium will be 40,000.

Ronaldo, the World Cup's all-time leading scorer and member of the local organizing committee, said last week he was ashamed by how few construction projects related to the tournament will actually be completed in time. From FourFourTwo:

"I'm ashamed for the Brazilian people who were expecting big investments and a great legacy for them, for us," he said.
"We promised to rebuild airports and improve transport and infrastructure. I am sorry for all the things we promised and have not completed.

"We have some numbers - only 30 percent of all the things that were promised will be done in time for the World Cup to get underway. That number is my only concern, for that I'm ashamed.
"The Brazilian people are the ones affected by our failure."

The Brazilian people were upset enough with the tens of billions of dollars invested in World Cup and 2016 Olympics related projects instead of vital public services, but to then see those frivolous projects left incomplete for a sporting event many didn't want to host in the first place will only make the protests larger and louder.
<figure class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" data-orig-index="1" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1401811377907_1420" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; cursor: pointer;">

d8f707d0-ea78-11e3-bc4e-d78e5396590e_494915283.jpg
</figure>
The back of the temporary stand. (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)​

Case closed guys.. Fifa didn't find any evidence of wrongdoing or bribery in the bids for Russia and Qatar ..

This comment from an article Sums it up

Dan Watson
''FIFA's ethics committee''. Stopped reading after that.
9 hours ago
309 people

Funny thing is Garcia (the guy who did the investigating) said that the 42-page summary of his 430-page report contained “numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts”

Every time you think FIFA couldnt be more incompetent they out do themselves

CNN also reporting the FBI will be looking harder into FIFA....

which could theoretically lead to FIFA suspending the US for government interference...which might be the straw that breaks the camels back because if that happened and US soccer was somehow actually suspended from FIFA the sponsors and broadcasters would raise hell...which would be the only thing that might actually change anything

Funny thing is Garcia (the guy who did the investigating) said that the 42-page summary of his 430-page report contained “numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts”

which could theoretically lead to FIFA suspending the US for government interference...which might be the straw that breaks the camels back because if that happened and US soccer was somehow actually suspended from FIFA the sponsors and broadcasters would raise hell...which would be the only thing that might actually change anything

pretty much that could be the defining factor. Sponsorship is such a huge deal in sports these days, other than the athlete, these companies have such power its unbelieveable.

This comment from an article Sums it up

Dan Watson
''FIFA's ethics committee''. Stopped reading after that.
9 hours ago
309 people

im picturing a room full of French guys smoking cigarettes and taking really egregious afternoon naps.....

This post doesn't actually even sum up the ridiculousness of the whole thing. Not only did he say the 42 page summary of his report was incomplete. But he is appealing his own report

Back