College Football 2020 Discussion... as it pertains to our current climate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hearing more and more schools and conferences talking about moving the football season to the spring of 2021.

Better than no season

The last few were about cfb and moved.
A cluster of posts were moved together.

We've asked majent to take Covid talk to Covid thread.

This thread is go discuss CFB for this season and how to handicap it in relation to Covid. The reason we do that is so that it doesn't downward spiral like it has everytime.

Majents second to last post was quoting retro vk about case numbers in Texas. Hence, it got moved to the Covid thread.

How can VK saying texas is "doing good" when it's not and a factual response not allowed ??
Both posts are allowed.

They have been moved to the Covid thread that is located in General Discussion. It is not hard to find, the thread has 435 pages worth of posts. The discussion of cases in Texas has nothing to do with the college football forum. You do not get to pick and choose where you are going to make your covid posts.

Please, take the Covid talk to General Discussion.

Both posts are allowed.

They have been moved to the Covid thread that is located in General Discussion. It is not hard to find, the thread has 435 pages worth of posts. The discussion of cases in Texas has nothing to do with the college football forum. You do not get to pick and choose where you are going to make your covid posts.

Please, take the Covid talk to General Discussion.

I get it..it was just confusing at first because VK's post wasn't moved originally and that's what majent was responding to.

I get it..it was just confusing at first because VK's post wasn't moved originally and that's what majent was responding to.
Again, that was from earlier in the week.

The cluster of other posts were taken care of ahead of time working backwards through the thread.

Looks like the general consensus among the Power 5 ADs is the same as mine, a little less optimistic. a little more concerned. It's clear they want to play the season and are doing everything they can to start on time, but events are not going their way at present

Not feeling good about this thing....At some point, soon, we're going to see one or a few real schools cancel their games. And the dominos will begin to fall. Recall how we still thought the Tournament was going to be held? And then Duke called it a day? Next thing you know the entire thing was cancelled.

This can't be good and don't know what it means for the OU/Texas game, but the Texas State Fair, a major part of the game experience and one of the reasons why there's nothing like it in football, has been cancelled this year

With the Governor of California INCREASING the restrictions on the State, and Arizona having a huge rise in cases, it is quite possible that the Pac 12 loses half of it's conference teams because they will not be allowed to play in their home states. If USC loses their two big money games (Alabama and Notre Dame) many think that it would not be worth the risk to play the season at all.

Not feeling good about this thing....At some point, soon, we're going to see one or a few real schools cancel their games. And the dominos will begin to fall. Recall how we still thought the Tournament was going to be held? And then Duke called it a day? Next thing you know the entire thing was cancelled.
Ivy trend setters again?

With the Governor of California INCREASING the restrictions on the State, and Arizona having a huge rise in cases, it is quite possible that the Pac 12 loses half of it's conference teams because they will not be allowed to play in their home states. If USC loses their two big money games (Alabama and Notre Dame) many think that it would not be worth the risk to play the season at all.

Wow.

Ivy leagues were the first domino in the ncaa hoops tourneys to call it quits.

I dunno man, I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Reading again today for BIG...

10 game conference only...regional approach...weeks off inbetween for missed games etc...

Now, rumors are running rampant all over the place right now.

That seems like the best scenario to me.

This is going to be killer to those smaller schools. The P5 teams are going to play and be fine, but man...this is going to be detrimental for small schools that reaches much further than just the football program.

This is going to be killer to those smaller schools. The P5 teams are going to play and be fine, but man...this is going to be detrimental for small schools that reaches much further than just the football program.

It's a season full of asterisks...not a true season by any means as of 7/9/2020

Rumors that new Mexico and nmsu are being encouraged to not play due to high school football being moved to spring or canceled.

There’s not going to be a season, I’m afraid. Writing on the wall.

I agree and while it's a first world problem for us it is so painful. I live for CFB esp my Sooners but I love the game overall and follow all of the major confs. This is so absolutely shitty that I literally feel like throwing up. Excuse me for a while......

So a school like Iowa is cancelling games against Northern Iowa and ISU, which are a stones throw away from campus, but they're going to schlep out to Ohio St and Penn St for games. The decision making during this pandemic no matter the topic continues to stump me.

So a school like Iowa is cancelling games against Northern Iowa and ISU, which are a stones throw away from campus, but they're going to schlep out to Ohio St and Penn St for games. The decision making during this pandemic no matter the topic continues to stump me.
There is more going on than just the pandemic

One might think this is the next step towards 5 super conferences and an expanded playoff.

Politics reaching to sports... imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back