College Football 2020 Discussion... as it pertains to our current climate

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is more going on than just the pandemic

One might think this is the next step towards 5 super conferences and an expanded playoff.

Politics reaching to sports... imo...

Nothing would surprise me at this point. I think I'm immune to surprises now.

Finebaum response on brand ..

Sec wants no part of more conference games...and they do not want to lose 3-4 cupcakes this year.

We'll see which conference is next after BIG and ACC..

I think a lot of these conferences are going to be shocked at how bad their records are when they don't have the cupcake games anymore.

And you are right, Hunt. It could be awesome to see SEC teams pounding each other every week

State of new Mexico: no contact sports till spring. Yea football there sucks but it's the first state domino so it matters. Gawdangit

Just gonna lay this play out and see what happens. No sense in getting panties in a bunch yet.

Just gonna lay this play out and see what happens. No sense in getting panties in a bunch yet.

Hunt, that's no fun though. More fun to try to predict what will happen. I think it's binary. We either have the season and play it through or we don't. After this latest case spike, it is looking very doubtful because they cannot start practicing within the next month or 6 weeks. Almost impossible.

So a school like Iowa is cancelling games against Northern Iowa and ISU, which are a stones throw away from campus, but they're going to schlep out to Ohio St and Penn St for games. The decision making during this pandemic no matter the topic continues to stump me.
I would think it's all monetary.
More than likely there will be no gate, so they are cutting expenses.

Say they cancel the season.
What happens to the seniors?
I can't see the universities covering another year of schollies. I imagine they cut them loose.

My .02 and I hope to God I'm wrong: given the recent case spikes in so many states, there is simply no way to "safely" get student/athletes to practice before 9/1 so I don't see CFB before 10/1 and I'm starting to lose hope daily that we'll have a fall season now. All of my pessimism is born from the rising cases numbers which are very troubling. Too many legal hurdles. If my son or daughter were college athletes I'd be lawyered up by now. Lawsuit exposure too high for the schools.

My .02 and I hope to God I'm wrong: given the recent case spikes in so many states, there is simply no way to "safely" get student/athletes to practice before 9/1 so I don't see CFB before 10/1 and I'm starting to lose hope daily that we'll have a fall season now. All of my pessimism is born from the rising cases numbers which are very troubling. Too many legal hurdles. If my son or daughter were college athletes I'd be lawyered up by now. Lawsuit exposure too high for the schools.

there is an incredible amount of money at stake here, but Im having a hard time seeing a path . We would have to have a really quick turnaround

there is an incredible amount of money at stake here, but Im having a hard time seeing a path . We would have to have a really quick turnaround

Yes I agree a near 180 in cases, hospitalization and deaths in the next 3-4 weeks or sooner, or it's a wrap.

There are two takeaways to Sankey’s comments Saturday: He’s showing his frustration because he knows the fall season is almost certainly a goner. Or he’s issuing one final plea because he still believes there’s a chance.

Hunt, that's no fun though. More fun to try to predict what will happen. I think it's binary. We either have the season and play it through or we don't. After this latest case spike, it is looking very doubtful because they cannot start practicing within the next month or 6 weeks. Almost impossible.

I know. I just am trying to be optimistic. I'll take 5 games at this point.

what are your predictions?

I think they'll do the conference thing.... 8-10 games, no plane travel, so all busride distance to schools unless they have private planes. Home and home with same 4-5 schools.

After those 8 - 10 games, who knows??

But again, with this, you run into logistics. Logistically this is a nightmare, just like being back to any school is a logistic nightmare.

The student athletes also want to be kids, they don't want to be prisoners and have to stay in one dorm for 4 months. Of course, you have your die hard kids who won't mind..

But say, bama and GA play each other, the winner will be partying all night. That's the kid in you.

The cases will also rise exponentially in the fall, not due to a second wave, but campuses opening. It's inevitable with 30k kids on a campus.

This leads to logistic issues too for a whole school.

I guess I'm kind of on the fence. But if everyone can follow the school rules they will be ok.

But like Sankey said, time is running out, and with kids coming back to campus, it will be even more difficult than it is now to practice.

Sorry if I sound all over the place.

I feel like this everyday with the virus, all over the place.

Sorry if I sound all over the place.

I feel like this everyday with the virus, all over the place.

I apologize too but now I'm in the camp of no college football until 10/1 at the earliest and if it doesnt start then the season is postponed to Jan at the earliest.

I apologize too but now I'm in the camp of no college football until 10/1 at the earliest and if it doesnt start then the season is postponed to Jan at the earliest.

It won't start in Jan in the Midwest and east. Maybe March or 2021.

What do you envision being different 1 Oct or 1 Jan (2021) that would make it acceptable to play?

What do you envision being different 1 Oct or 1 Jan (2021) that would make it acceptable to play?

There are 160ish pharma companies around the world currently working on a vaccine. While a vaccine such as the flu vaccine won't likely prevent it altogether, it will provide the optics we need to at least resume trying to sports back esp at the HS and college level.
The more time that goes by the more time we *should* hear good news on the vaccine and therapeutics front. 10/1 and 1/1 look much better than 9/1 right now. 11/1 start? Not happening.

Once we get Remdesevir available OTC for anyone who needs it (currently only IV and for extreme cases) it will be a game changer for almost everything (economy, sports, concerts, movies. Travel etc)

Once we get Remdesevir available OTC for anyone who needs it (currently only IV and for extreme cases) it will be a game changer for almost everything (economy, sports, concerts, movies. Travel etc)

As of now, it only works for the severely sick I believe.

There are 160ish pharma companies around the world currently working on a vaccine. While a vaccine such as the flu vaccine won't likely prevent it altogether, it will provide the optics we need to at least resume trying to sports back esp at the HS and college level.
The more time that goes by the more time we *should* hear good news on the vaccine and therapeutics front. 10/1 and 1/1 look much better than 9/1 right now. 11/1 start? Not happening.

Thanks for the reply; makes sense about the optics changing once there is a vaccine, I just think there is a lot of uncertainty when that will be. Sorry to keep peppering you w questions but why is 10/1 ok but 11/1 is not?

Thanks for the reply; makes sense about the optics changing once there is a vaccine, I just think there is a lot of uncertainty when that will be. Sorry to keep peppering you w questions but why is 10/1 ok but 11/1 is not?

Bro I'm just an amateur here throwing my opinion around using basic thought of logistics and the human condition. A 10/1 starts means you can play 8 straight weeks then stop and your players would have 14 or so days off before they go see their families on Thanksgiving wknd. Given that they'll likely be separated from fam and close friends for 2 mos in a bubble of sorts, I think Thanksgiving and Xmas will be more important than ever. I feel like given the circumstances the NCAA will want to play every week for about 8 or 9 straight weeks max and then get the heck off the field and separate their players for 14 days before they see their families. That way carriers can be virus free hopefully before seekng elder fam members.

My gut is telling me if they dont start by sat 10/3 they scrap the season.

As of now, it only works for the severely sick I believe.
Right but it seems to be saving lives as the total daily deaths have dropped despite case count rising so I think it's proving effective and will take a lot of the doomsday scenario away.

Bro I'm just an amateur here throwing my opinion around using basic thought of logistics and the human condition. A 10/1 starts means you can play 8 straight weeks then stop and your players would have 14 or so days off before they go see their families on Thanksgiving wknd. Given that they'll likely be separated from fam and close friends for 2 mos in a bubble of sorts, I think Thanksgiving and Xmas will be more important than ever. I feel like given the circumstances the NCAA will want to play every week for about 8 or 9 straight weeks max and then get the heck off the field and separate their players for 14 days before they see their families. That way carriers can be virus free hopefully before seekng elder fam members.

My gut is telling me if they dont start by sat 10/3 they scrap the season.

Part of the point of having the conference only slate is to leave some weekends open in case a team has multiple cases.

Right but it seems to be saving lives as the total daily deaths have dropped despite case count rising so I think it's proving effective and will take a lot of the doomsday scenario away.

I think the 7 day average of deaths has been higher last couple weeks. I could be wrong. Something to ask he hate me.

I think the 7 day average of deaths has been higher last couple weeks. I could be wrong. Something to ask he hate me.

Right but I'm comparing to april and may when we seemed to be losing 1000 to 1500 ppl a day mainly in NY and NJ

@horses give me your thoughts please. Does the 10/1 vs 11/1 difference make sense or am I off my rocker (again) ??

You're not off your rocker since you back up your thoughts with logical thinking; where it might fall a little short for me is I don't necessarily think that will be a priority when it comes to making the decision. Maybe they will scrap early October but my feeling is that if it is somehow 'safe to play' on Nov 1 whereas it was not on Oct 1, they will start Nov 1 and run thru February (or thereabouts).

Or maybe they'll just postpone everything until January before the end of August. I think everyone is an amateur at this, at this point.

If the numbers of cases, hospitalizations and deaths do not drop materially by 7/31, I think the season is going to be cancelled for 2020 and they'll move to exploring a jan start. As the sec commish said, there are so many things that need to be put into place logistically and they simply won't have time to do it. I think at that point they just pray for a vaccine to be approved and fast tracked. Historically it doesn't happen but then again we've never had 160 companies chasing one on history.

This is a certifiable mess right now.

If the numbers of cases, hospitalizations and deaths do not drop materially by 7/31, I think the season is going to be cancelled for 2020 and they'll move to exploring a jan start. As the sec commish said, there are so many things that need to be put into place logistically and they simply won't have time to do it. I think at that point they just pray for a vaccine to be approved and fast tracked. Historically it doesn't happen but then again we've never had 160 companies chasing one on history.

This is a certifiable mess right now.

It's all about logistics and lawsuits...and politics.

You have pro athletes pulling out so there is no way they will allow amateurs to play. There is a better chance of a complete lockdown in blue states than college football being played. Good luck getting a governor like Half Whitmer to allow college football in her state.

You have pro athletes pulling out so there is no way they will allow amateurs to play. There is a better chance of a complete lockdown in blue states than college football being played. Good luck getting a governor like Half Whitmer to allow college football in her state.

i doubt you see many at all drop out of NFL, most of those players have a Very limited window to make money

but you are certainly right about amateurs

they would move NFL games to Saturday if CFB doesnt play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back