College Football 2020 Discussion... as it pertains to our current climate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why i‘m being singled-out... (ironically) sounds antagonistic, no? Lol. I just rode along with the previous two comments and the CNN reference „jab“ wasn‘t meant literally but as a metaphor for the whole sort of we‘re all going to die/the athletes are putting people‘s lives in danger rhetoric and position. Nothing happening here. No jabs at a person made. I don‘t think anyone is saying I told you so especially in May lol and it‘s a stupid thing to say for something out of our hands. We just want football back and want to celebrate the idea of it coming back.

You are correct, it wasn't only you and I realize you were being mostly humorous with your comment.

This could make for some nice advantages to those of us that pay attention.

I'm not getting too caught up in who gets back to campus first. I think all that stuff will level out for the most part and by the time August rolls around getting a few extra conditioning workouts in June won't mean shit. The first few weeks back on campus are going to be light re-acclimation anyway.

However, I have my eye on coaching staffs in their first year. I can't see how they're not at a huge disadvantage.

I'm not getting too caught up in who gets back to campus first. I think all that stuff will level out for the most part.

However, I have my eye on coaching staffs in their first year. I can't see how they're not at a huge disadvantage.
Oh, no doubt about it.

Let's add in on a smaller scale

-New OCs
-New QBs
-Combos of the above
-Young OL without spring practice.

053b762af1d705f9ff9a1ecd7227f08670c1d1-v5-wm.jpg

Yeah is Sparty going to win a game this year? Toledo and split Maryland, Rutgers? Lol. Lots of new pieces in coaching and personnel. So this team will be relatively hard hit by the lack of organized training opportunities. Plus the considerable loss and dearth of talent. Their win total probably can't be low enough.

Yeah is Sparty going to win a game this year? Toledo and split Maryland, Rutgers? Lol. Lots of new pieces in coaching and personnel. So this team will be relatively hard hit by the lack of organized training opportunities. Plus the considerable loss and dearth of talent. Their win total probably can't be low enough.
Win total opened at a generous 6.5 but that got bet the heck out of immediately. I haven't looked in a bit but it was 5.5 last I looked. I believe I said 4 wins in my initial preview. I'll stick to 4-5 as of now if the scheduling stays the same. Obviously have to add in a few Corona factors for them and opponents.

Nah, the CNN comments are stupid and antagonizing. Nobody here has ever referenced CNN as it pertains to the restart of football and yet it's been continuously mentioned with the sole purpose to antagonize. It's the same low brow, trite and divisive rhetoric you see in every waste of time facebook/twitter spar. What is the purpose of bringing that in here?

Everyone in this forum will be ecstatic to see football take place should things continue to move forward in the right direction. The "I told you so" stuff isn't a good look.

Do you want my job? Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.

One more positive step to having a football season start on time--The Big 12 announced today players can return to campus June 15.

No Power 5 conference is going to stay on the sideline and let other conferences open and gain an advantage

I personally think, since some schools are ALREADY going online after turkey break, most sports are wanting to get things done now in fear of a 2nd wave. So it makes sense, but the logistics of this will be really hard...so many factors.

Did I hear correctly that no in person meetings or actual practices can take place prior to 7/31? So essentially practices (we hope) can begin 8/1 ? If so then college football can basically begin by sat 9/5 and man that would be a shocker. A lot still has to happen logistically but that would be pretty incredible to see.

Did I hear correctly that no in person meetings or actual practices can take place prior to 7/31? So essentially practices (we hope) can begin 8/1 ? If so then college football can basically begin by sat 9/5 and man that would be a shocker. A lot still has to happen logistically but that would be pretty incredible to see.

I'm kind of confused by this too, are the report dates in June for early practice or just to get acclimated to campus? For me, admittedly, it's hard to keep up with.

so it's just conditioning, 7 on 7, same usual shit without coaches in June?
Yeah.

There has been talk, say a month ago, about possibly having a mini summer camp in liue of some schools not receiving and spring practice but I haven't seen much about that lately.

At this point it looks like the season will be starting on time (obviously fluid) and it seems the rescheduling of games has quieted down. Obviously with California doing a 180 last Monday that changes a lot.

Yeah.

There has been talk, say a month ago, about possibly having a mini summer camp in liue of some schools not receiving and spring practice but I haven't seen much about that lately.

At this point it looks like the season will be starting on time (obviously fluid) and it seems the rescheduling of games has quieted down. Obviously with California doing a 180 last Monday that changes a lot.

It seems only fair to at least have meetings and learn play books, watch film with coaches, have a small mini summer camp due to no spring camp.

ZOOM meetings I guess.

Not sure what the answer is there but there is never practice before that date as is.

I've been out of the racket of following year round for some time now but I recall meaningful football activities well before 8/1 back in the day, unless I'm pulling a roger Clemens and "mis-remembering".

This delay to past 7/31 for practices has to have *some* impact. I wouldn't call it a nothing burger. Just my opinion.

Yeah, hopefully they add in a minicamp say early July even for 4-5 days.

Would be extremely surprised if that happens.

Right now the only thing even the football mecca the sec has approved is simply voluntary access to campus facilities by 6/8 right ?

Yeah.

Dabo started spring ball early this year and got in nine practices.

All politcal brother.

I wouldn't read anything into that at all.

Yes he seems to be falling in line w Michigan governor and AG. he's a highly educated individual with degrees in the medical field so he does know *something* about the subject involved.

Yes he seems to be falling in line w Michigan governor and AG. he's a highly educated individual with degrees in the medical field so he does know *something* about the subject involved.
Yes, but I'm just letting you know this is all posturing.

This isn't my opinion.

We shall see. He raises a lot of good points such as saying "if we are closing in January, why not be closed now?"

It doesn't make sense, and a lot of schools across the nation are asking this for the high schools, colleges, etc.

The logistics of this are going to be a mess. That's just a given with the short amount of time there is.

University of Michigan, the sports are a token of the money they make. University is very rich and very liberal.

I would not want to be in his position. That's for sure. In the end of all this, it's politics.

We shall see. He raises a lot of good points such as saying "if we are closing in January, why not be closed now?"

It doesn't make sense, and a lot of schools across the nation are asking this for the high schools, colleges, etc.

The logistics of this are going to be a mess. That's just a given with the short amount of time there is.

University of Michigan, the sports are a token of the money they make. University is very rich and very liberal.

I would not want to be in his position. That's for sure. In the end of all this, it's politics.

Yup.

At Michigan the plan is a mix of students and donors via priority points is today's talk.

Oklahoma announced today they will allow players back on campus July 1. More than enough time to do anything they need to do to start the season at the regular time.

My guess is the players will be more fit physically and emotionally by having time off than if they had followed the usual schedule.

No other sport anywhere on the planet drives the players like college football. The NFL doesn't do it. No other sport does it. Even during the Iron Curtain days when sport was an arm of government policy, not one country worked their players even close to what college guys do.

Every other coach and trainer in every sport on the planet knows you need time off from the grind. Every Olympic champion, by definition the greatest on the plant in their sports, builds rest and relaxation into their schedule. So the college players should be better than ever

So everything is looking positive for the season to start on time.

Oklahoma announced today they will allow players back on campus July 1. More than enough time to do anything they need to do to start the season at the regular time.

My guess is the players will be more fit physically and emotionally by having time off than if they had followed the usual schedule.

No other sport anywhere on the planet drives the players like college football. The NFL doesn't do it. No other sport does it. Even during the Iron Curtain days when sport was an arm of government policy, not one country worked their players even close to what college guys do.

Every other coach and trainer in every sport on the planet knows you need time off from the grind. Every Olympic champion, by definition the greatest on the plant in their sports, builds rest and relaxation into their schedule. So the college players should be better than ever

So everything is looking positive for the season to start on time.
Wonder if my Vols being back 3 weeks earlier will be an extra advantage now when they play in Week 2. Was already hurting Oklahoma that it will be their first game and breaking in a new QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back