College Football 2020 Discussion... as it pertains to our current climate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some thought...

As you see Sankey...and his mouthpiece Pete Finebaum making comments...

The direction things are going are not exactly how the SEC would like them...

Work this inside out when interpreting things ...

Sad and extremely disheartening prediction: by 7/31 most or all of the Power 5 conferences will cancel the 2020 football season and move to contingency plans (perhaps spring 2021 season).

Most of the big schools have endowments worth many millions and some in the billions so they will survive without the TV money. It's the smaller schools who will obviously suffer.

I've been enjoying college football and esp sooner football since 1986 so this is very sad that I feel the cancellation is coming. There is simply no way around it in my mind.

The new spike in cases this past month ruined everything. Things were looking much better just a month ago.

So the virus only affects people in non conference games? Got it.

If sec follows suit, the biggest game of the year will be game 1. GA vs bama.

Hunt
As others alluded to before me, the cancelation of the nonconf was to free up 3-4 Saturdays so that conf games that needed canceling could be rescheduled. It looks like they want the better part of 15 weeks to play 9 or max 10 conf gms

Hunt
As others alluded to before me, the cancelation of the nonconf was to free up 3-4 Saturdays so that conf games that needed canceling could be rescheduled. It looks like they want the better part of 15 weeks to play 9 or max 10 conf gms

Right. I've said this too.

The MAC sued the Big 10 today for unilaterally canceling all the games between the two schools.

I'm sure there is a force majeure clause in the contracts, but the fact the Big 10 considers it safe to play conference games is pretty solid evidence there is no force majeure. Since it's all about money, with no principle involved they will likely come to a settlement.

I don't see the logic in schools announcing they are soooo concerned about players and students and fans there is just no way they can take chances and play non-conference games, but hey, the danger is somehow magically not the same when it comes to conference games.

I admit I am as cynical as every other lawyer when it comes to big money, but it looks to me like the suits decided they have to do something to show they are concerned so they put out a press release about how the health of our student athletes and fans is paramount to us and we absolutely will not risk it and we are proving it by cancelling all non-conference games.

They they congratulate themselves and say, OK, boys, we proved we are not ignoring health concerns so the press can't criticize us, now let's play all the conference games and guarantee our checks will keep flowing

The MAC sued the Big 10 today for unilaterally canceling all the games between the two schools.

I'm sure there is a force majeure clause in the contracts, but the fact the Big 10 considers it safe to play conference games is pretty solid evidence there is no force majeure. Since it's all about money, with no principle involved they will likely come to a settlement.

I don't see the logic in schools announcing they are soooo concerned about players and students and fans there is just no way they can take chances and play non-conference games, but hey, the danger is somehow magically not the same when it comes to conference games.

I admit I am as cynical as every other lawyer when it comes to big money, but it looks to me like the suits decided they have to do something to show they are concerned so they put out a press release about how the health of our student athletes and fans is paramount to us and we absolutely will not risk it and we are proving it by cancelling all non-conference games.

They they congratulate themselves and say, OK, boys, we proved we are not ignoring health concerns so the press can't criticize us, now let's play all the conference games and guarantee our checks will keep flowing

It's a fucked up situation but they have catastrophic clauses in those contracts like you said. They'll be dismissed immediately.

I don't think so.

If the season is cancelled you are correct. the lawsuit has no chance, but I would love to represent the MAC in this case and get to cross examine guys who make big bucks and fly around in private jets owned by the schools and ask them to explain how the force majeure allows the to cancel the game against my school, and yet magically disappears the next week when it's a conference game.

That isn't going to fly in a courtroom.

And the SEC is even worse off if they try it because they play non conference games right in the peak of the season. They have to explain how they were forced to cancel a game in week 10, but it was fine to play in week 9 and 11.

I don't think so.

If the season is cancelled you are correct. the lawsuit has no chance, but I would love to represent the MAC in this case and get to cross examine guys who make big bucks and fly around in private jets owned by the schools and ask them to explain how the force majeure allows the to cancel the game against my school, and yet magically disappears the next week when it's a conference game.

That isn't going to fly in a courtroom.

And the SEC is even worse off if they try it because they play non conference games right in the peak of the season. They have to explain how they were forced to cancel a game in week 10, but it was fine to play in week 9 and 11.

Wouldn't the conf case be that they needed to free up weeks to accommodate potential cancellations and rescheduling of conf games??

Not in my estimation. I don't see any way they can claim force majeure (usually called "act of god" by the general public) as a reason to cancel games, They can't turn around and say, well god only acted in some weeks but not in others and we get to choose which weeks he intervened.

I looked up a couple of Big 10 teams from last year and it would have been comical. Ohio State would have had to say, God intervened in week one, two, and four, but not in week 3. Michigan would have had to say, God said it was okay for us to play in week 8 and 10, but not in week 9.

I'm not on expert on force majeure litigation so maybe there's a way to do it, but I wouldn't want to try and convince a Federal judge that makes sense.

If they argue they need the weeks in order to accommodate conference games that is a different argument and I guess it depends on whether the contracts have some wording the big schools can use, but absent that, contract law does not allow one party to cancel a contract merely because it is inconvenient for them to live up to the terms they agreed to when they signed.

UT stepping up and bowing to the mob, with some concessions.
Holding out hope the Ags hold up.

BTW, the UIL says HS Football is on schedule.

More optimism but, unfortunately, I think it's where we are going.

This clearly isn‘t a very objective article...selectively quoting pessimistic sources, selectively attributing case surge to republican-run states, cherry-picking negative details from other sports without even demonstrating their relevancy to college football, the laughable worry that college kids are imperiled or at risk of being hospitalized from covid, the ridiculous rhetoric of a „strategy of hope“ which makes the idea of playing seem unreasonable — we clearly see some optimism for example in the regional strategy, which could have been a positive connection in the article to baseball.

Overall zero attempt to consider the other side, which makes the article a complete failure as an argument. It‘s clearly just narrative. More sports media trash.

Edit: I edited out a political word to appease our other-minded friends. No ill-will intended.

Last edited:
California Junior colleges and the NJCAA, which I think includes all JCs outside California announced today they are moving football season to the spring.

My guess is that's the fallback position for all 4-year schools as well.

I hate to see a fall with no college football, but moving to spring is better than no football

This clearly isn‘t a very objective article...selectively quoting pessimistic sources, selectively attributing case surge to republican-run states, cherry-picking negative details from other sports without even demonstrating their relevancy to college football, the laughable worry that college kids are imperiled or at risk of being hospitalized from covid, the ridiculous rhetoric of a „strategy of hope“ which makes the idea of playing seem unreasonable — we clearly see some optimism for example in the regional strategy, which could have been a positive connection in the article to baseball.

Overall zero attempt to consider the other side, which makes the article a complete failure as an argument. It‘s clearly just narrative. More sports media trash.

Edit: I edited out a political word to appease our other-minded friends. No ill-will intended.

He told the truth, and unfortunately sometimes that hurts. In this case it hurts a lot. The season will likely be called by 7/31. One power 5 Conf will cry uncle and then the dominoes will fall. It's a virtual certainty at this point..... an formality of what most of us already know is coming.

College football needs a bubble like the other sports. Keep the athletes away from campus by having them take online courses.

A&M is doing free tests for students throughout the university system.
id expect a bump in cases for TX

Alabama vs BYU is almost done and is expected to be finalized soon. Still up in the air as to whether it will be a home and home, or a one time game. Desire is for H&H, but depends on payout for this year

Alabama vs BYU is almost done and is expected to be finalized soon. Still up in the air as to whether it will be a home and home, or a one time game. Desire is for H&H, but depends on payout for this year

Elephants -28 on a neutral

Home/Home that game?
No way

Playing 12 conf games has to be more dangerous for the players when you consider corona risks vs all other injury risks.

But seems like SEC and Big12 for sure going to play 12 games, so how does playoff work if Big10 and Pac12 only play 10? Gonna be interesting

I bet they do away with the playoffs and bowls...none of it is logical or fair if some play 10-12, or none at all.

They get shut out of it.
This year can be the tryout for 8 team playoff

Get rid of the rest of bowl season, since it's gone this year anyway imo

Give each power 5 team its conference champ a slot, 3 at large, with at least 1 having to be outside power 5

Fuck if they get rid of the the bowls do 16, each conference gets 2 slots, 2 outside p5, 4 at large p5

That will make up a ton of the tv money lost from less games

Then when everybody loves the playoff, just go to the 8 team in normal seasons starting 2021

Oklahoma and Missouri State moved their game up a week and it will now be on Aug 29. This gives them a bye week after each of their first three games. Seems strange to me , but OU sees it as an advantage for some reason.

In case you've forgotten, Bobby Petrino is the new coach at Missouri State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back