Coaching hires and rumors

fickel seemed out of his league at ohio st pre urban. any thoughts now? cant be worse than tubbs

Fickell hired just saw. I don't think I have any opinion nor insight there.

Whats's the go with PJ Fleck? His name doesn't seem to be linked anywhere

I heard it mentioned on a podcast that the hosts felt something likely came up on his background that deterred suitors. Kinda seemed irresponsible to float something like that if it's just conjecture - but... I can't say I didn't agree. Really odd how his stock vaulted and then just crickets.. I still think a B1G school makes most sense for him, I thought Indiana could have been nice but they obviously had an in-house plan in place. Minny coach did enough this year to keep his job but if PJ stays another year that's one I could see him being linked to and having success.

Wow would really love to get that scoop on fleck.
he seemed like the number one dude on most lists a month ago....

Wow would really love to get that scoop on fleck.
he seemed like the number one dude on most lists a month ago....

Ya it's been weird. To do what he did in a few years at WMU is one of the more impressive football accomplishments I can think of in recent years

Don't think Sark was drunk at practice. More like he celebrated winning SEC championship game by getting blackout

I usually tell people that try to get sober to do it for a year and if their life isn't better then go back to the bottle, needle blunt whatever. I've yet to have someone not say their life was immeasurably better after that year. I really hope for his sake this was an isolated incident and the train isn't running off the tracks

Strong to USF looks like a done deal. Hell of a recruiter.

Yep.

"Low reports Strong would like to bring most of his staff from Texas to USF, including offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert.
Before Louisville, Strong was Florida’s defensive coordinator from 2003-09. He also worked at UF from 1983-84 and 1991-94. Other stops in his career include South Carolina, Notre Dame, Ole Miss and more.
At USF, Strong inherits a program that is 10-2 this season and has won 17 of its last 21 games. The Bulls are the No. 2 rushing team in the country at 6.7 yards per carry. QB Quinton Flowers is one of the top QB’s in the country, and he’s a junior. There are only eight seniors in USF's offense/defense two-deep this year.
Strong was due a buyout of more than $10 million from Texas, but there is offset language that will lower that based on his USF salary. By the way, in 2020, USF travels to Texas."

12/11
- Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo has been contacted by Temple about their head coaching job, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer, which notes DeFilippo’s potential interest is unknown. Keep track of Temple updates here.
12/10
- Penn State offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead is not a candidate at Temple and will return to Penn State in 2017, according to Yahoo Sports’ Pat Forde.
- The school intends to interview defensive coordinator Phil Snow for the head coaching job, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer.
12/9
- Old Dominion head coach Bobby Wilder met with Temple representatives earlier this week, according to the Virginian-Pilot. Wilder’s agent also tells the paper they’re hoping to have a new long-term contract with ODU by the time ODU plays its bowl game on Dec. 23.

DeFillippo went to Radnor HS, a local guy. I went to a football camp back in the day and remember him from it.

i think Moorehead would be a great hire for anyone. Guy knows how to put points up.

I usually tell people that try to get sober to do it for a year and if their life isn't better then go back to the bottle, needle blunt whatever. I've yet to have someone not say their life was immeasurably better after that year. I really hope for his sake this was an isolated incident and the train isn't running off the tracks
That's real talk bro

Taking a pay cut too. Saw on twitter that FAU was originally looking to pay $600K/yr

drunk
at practice the other day

While at Bama? Not from his UW days? He's got a real problem if this is still happening. He's going to drink himself entirely out of coaching. Pretty sure it's already ruined his marriage, at least I think I remember his wife filing for divorce.

Thought I saw him to FAU was pretty a done deal on Saturday, must have misread that

Depends, if it's true that Saban didn't want him back where else was he gonna go? Doubt he wanted to start over at OC elsewhere.

I didn't follow closely, did he turn Houston down? I thought they just went another direction.

texas hired Mehringer as passing game coordinator. not the warmest and fuzziest of feelings goin on here.

I like it for him and FAU. If I'm a HC taking mid major, number one thing I'm looking for is an opportunity to create a talent advantage. He's is southern Florida so top 3 richest talent beds in the country. I know nothing about what he inherits but he will be able to recruit like crazy there, I think. He would have done well at any of those 3 jobs I think due to the talent nearby - this isn't as exciting for him but I think he could do well there for 3 years and get a premiere P5 after if he wants. Or he may grow a wicked stash, buy some boat shoes and a yacht and be the next Howard Schnellenberger.

I don't know their QB situation but bet he calls Malik Zaire if they don't have someone good in place for next year

If I were a 5-star I'd take an official to FAU just to see what a weekend with Lane would be like in South Florida

lane recruited well at usc when they were hammered by the ncaa. but it was usc. i don't know how good he is vs how much the school and sark helped, but it'll be interesting to see what he can pull to boca.

I have to say....I think it's a terrible move.
What do I know though? I am not saying LSU OC would be any better, but my I think he devalued himself

What do I know though? I am not saying LSU OC would be any better, but my I think he devalued himself

He wins there and has big offers coming... Easy to see.

remember his old man was a coordinator for life. looks like lane wanted back in the driver's seat. he sure as hell is taking a pay cut by turning down LSU, though.

I know we talked about Ga Southern firing OC but here is their hire:

Georgia Tech quarterbacks and B-backs coach Bryan Cook accepted the offensive coordinator job at Georgia Southern Friday. Georgia Southern announced the hire, confirming an AJC report earlier in the day. Cook has been on coach Paul Johnson’s staff since the 2013 season and was instrumental in the development of Tech quarterback Justin Thomas. Cook is expected to stay with the team through its TaxSlayer Bowl matchup Dec. 31 against Kentucky.

That's not even near the same level as FAU
your just mad he was smart enough to avoid that mess at lsu with Eddie O.

Bro I could care less. If you think FAU is a good job and his 600k salary is laughable, then I don't know what to tell you bro.
Dude lost out to Major A and Charlie S to UH and SF....

Back