Coaching hires and rumors

did i see willie taggart wants dameyune craig as offensive CO at Oregon?

Is he trying to get fired early?

nice guy, good recruiter

but he can't really coach WRs too well imo

i know he was co-oc at aubbie, but man

Hearing Larry Scott or Zach Azzani may be the Vols OC
Scott wants a HC job. Butch may hire him as OC to keep him.
I really am keeping my eye on who Butchie hires for Strength & Conditioning Coach. Needs to be a good hire

Reportedly a 2nd meeting today between Fleck and Gophers. Some rumors saying they are finalizing a deal and others saying Fleck intends to stay at WMU.

Fleck was at the meeting yesterday with MN. It was not just his agent according to everything I've seen. I'm not getting my hopes up too much, yet.

It's been a few days but EWU OC Troy Taylor to Utah as OC/WR coaches. I've seen a little EWU film but not much. Looks like a similar offense but they actually know how to use motion and get their playmakers in space.

It's been a few days but EWU OC Troy Taylor to Utah as OC/WR coaches. I've seen a little EWU film but not much. Looks like a similar offense but they actually know how to use motion and get their playmakers in space.

I think they throw the ball quite a bit more but agree they do get playmakers the ball in space really well. They have a legit NFL WR that will be drafted and a Top 5 FCS QB too so that helps. They play Tex Tech to open 2017 and could start out with another FBS scalp.

Andrew Sowder, who had been an assistant wide receivers coach at Texas, is expected to become the new offensive coordinator at San Jose State, a source told FOX Sports Thursday.
Sowder joins the staff of new head coach Brent Brennan that will try and put a jolt into what was the nation’s No. 94 ranked offense this season.
The 28-year-old Sowder, who will also coach tight ends, is believed to be the youngest coordinator in FBS football. He is a protege of Dino Babers and had worked under him at Bowling Green prior to Sowder’s time at Texas in 2016. He also coached under Babers at Eastern Illinois, where his receivers and the offense had record-breaking seasons.
<iframe id="google_ads_iframe_/8484/fscom/collegefootball/story_0" title="3rd party ad content" name="google_ads_iframe_/8484/fscom/collegefootball/story_0" width="1" height="1" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" style="-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; box-sizing: border-box; border-width: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;"></iframe>

<iframe id="google_ads_iframe_/8484/fscom/collegefootball/story_1" title="3rd party ad content" name="google_ads_iframe_/8484/fscom/collegefootball/story_1" width="5" height="5" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" style="-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; box-sizing: border-box; border-width: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;"></iframe>

Sowder was a student coach at Baylor, assisting Babers with the wide receivers and special teams in 2009 and 2010 following a playing career with the Bears, where he learned Art Briles’ offense. Sowder had been a tight end at Baylor during the 2007 and 2008 seasons.

I think they throw the ball quite a bit more but agree they do get playmakers the ball in space really well. They have a legit NFL WR that will be drafted and a Top 5 FCS QB too so that helps. They play Tex Tech to open 2017 and could start out with another FBS scalp.

That top 5 FCS QB was a walk on. How much is QB and how much is coaching? I don't know the answer to that but if it's even 50% coaching, color me excited. Utah hasn't had a QB coach(that wasn't a former WR) since Andy Ludwig left. As for more passing, Taylor said his ideal offense is 60/40 pass/run, he'll have to convince Whittingham on that I'm sure.

That top 5 FCS QB was a walk on. How much is QB and how much is coaching? I don't know the answer to that but if it's even 50% coaching, color me excited. Utah hasn't had a QB coach(that wasn't a former WR) since Andy Ludwig left. As for more passing, Taylor said his ideal offense is 60/40 pass/run, he'll have to convince Whittingham on that I'm sure.

Had no idea he was walk-on. Good question - I don't know enough about them. If you're interested I know a good FCS fan site and you could prob create an acct and lots of knowledgable guys would prob answer any questions you had about him and his philosophies. I do know they were just under 60/40 this year which will still be top 10 in FBS in terms of pass play% and the Utes were just over 40/60 so it will be interesting to see how that goes. Look forward to anything you can share in spring and summer camp

CFB News@CFBLiveNews <small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"> 21m21 minutes ago</small>
PJ Fleck expected to be named Minnesota HC tomorrow: #ROWphers

2 replies4 retweets5 likes
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover js-actionButton js-actionReply" data-modal="ProfileTweet-reply" type="button" style="color: rgb(170, 184, 194); font-family: inherit; font-size: 16px; font-style: inherit; font-variant-caps: inherit; line-height: 1; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative;">
</button>

CFB News@CFBLiveNews <small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"> 21m21 minutes ago</small>
PJ Fleck expected to be named Minnesota HC tomorrow: #ROWphers

2 replies4 retweets5 likes
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover js-actionButton js-actionReply" data-modal="ProfileTweet-reply" type="button" style="color: rgb(170, 184, 194); font-family: inherit; font-size: 16px; font-style: inherit; font-variant-caps: inherit; line-height: 1; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative;">
</button>

Your thoughts on the hire?

IF (big if) this is legit (I've not seen local beat writers run with it yet), I really like the hire. Was talking about it with a buddy who prefers Miles. My issue is that Miles could walk out the back door in Louisiana and find blue chip recruits. He got whatever resources he needed. Fleck took a program with nothing and made a BCS bowl in 3 years. This job is more like WMU than it is LSU - so I think Fleck is the better hire because he's proven he can do more with less. Not that Miles (or someone else) couldn't, but Miles is 63. AD wants younger coaches with a longer runway.

I think he will get fans excited. Seems to have a great attitude and would connect well with young kids. Great move IMO.

Great points, totally agree. I'm not a big Les Miles guy. I hope he does TV I love him in that role.

:shake2:

quite the coup. I think the fans will love him even though there are lots of Brewster comparisons being made (salesman-type). Difference is he's actually coached a team.

Pretty fucking pumped.

I've been wanting Fleck at KSU for a couple years now, so bummed about him going to Minnesota. Jim Leavitt looks to be the next KSU coach when Bill decides to retire

I am not sure this is a good move for fleck
Unless he is guaranteed all the fat white broads from Minnesota on campus.

I think it's a great get for Minny, but they are just another stepping stone for him and will crush the players and fans in a couple years.

I personally can't think of a more impressive accomplishment than what he was able to do at Western Michigan in just a few short years. And to me that is probably more impressive than anything 99% of coaches can claim. I think it was three years they went from not winning the game to going undefeated and playing in the Cotton Bowl. That's incredible

I've never heard him say this but I get the sense that Saban has a huge influence on him. His commitment to process and mannerisms lead me to believe he keeps close eye on Tuscaloosa. He's definitely a different personality but I think he's got the charisma to win over those players and community - I don't know if there is a better guy in football to do that than him. He already recruits better than a portion of the big 10 and that's at a mac school and he is in such a soft division that he should be able to see some success pretty soon

I've never heard him say this but I get the sense that Saban has a huge influence on him. His commitment to process and mannerisms lead me to believe he keeps close eye on Tuscaloosa. He's definitely a different personality but I think he's got the charisma to win over those players and community - I don't know if there is a better guy in football to do that than him. He already recruits better than a portion of the big 10 and that's at a mac school and he is in such a soft division that he should be able to see some success pretty soon

Dare I say he's Dabo Saban

Dare I say he's Dabo Saban

Now that's a horse of a different color. And I like it.

How bout this:

Shooter McGavin@ShooterMcGavin_ <small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"> 20h20 hours ago</small>
Shooter McGavin Retweeted Kevin Seifert
I see nothing preposterous about this quote at all. @Coach_Fleck earned a new fan today.

Shooter McGavin added,
Kevin Seifert @SeifertESPN
"I eat difficult conversations for breakfast." — P.J. Fleck in his @GopherSports presser. Ranks among most preposterous things I’ve heard.

3 replies97 retweets314 likes
<b class="QuoteTweet-fullname u-linkComplex-target" style="display: inline-block;"><button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover js-actionButton js-actionReply" data-modal="ProfileTweet-reply" type="button" style="color: rgb(170, 184, 194); font-family: inherit; font-size: 16px; font-style: inherit; font-variant-caps: inherit; line-height: 1; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative;">
</button></b>

Incredible hire. I love this guy - Tag is hitting it out the park so far:

Washington State defensive line coach Joe Salave'a will join Willie Taggart's staff at Oregon in the same capacity, FootballScoop.com reported Monday.
Salave'a has coached with the Cougars since 2012 and helped the defensive line become an attacking unit that repeatedly caused Oregon trouble in recent seasons. Salave'a has been key to WSU's recruiting efforts in American Samoa, and also reportedly signed a contract extension last month that would have taken him through 2019 with the Cougars.
Instead, he joins Keith Heyward, a defensive backs coach, as an assistant who has yet to be officially announced as an aide to coordinator Jim Leavitt. Heyward, a former Oregon State cornerback, last coached at Louisville but like Salave'a has West Coach ties from prior coaching stops at Washington and USC. Charles Clark, another defensive backs coach, was named to UO's staff last week.
Leavitt is expected to revert Oregon from a 4-3 defensive scheme, which it ran in 2016, back to the 3-4 base that UO ran from 2008-15.

Depending when Oregon makes the hiring official, Salave'a could hit the recruiting trail this week when the NCAA "dead" period ends Jan. 12.
Salave'a played for Arizona, graduating in 1997, under head coach Dick Tomey. Tomey is a mutual connection with Taggart, after Tomey joined the South Florida staff as an associate athletic director in 2015. Salave'a then played for nine seasons and 100 games in the NFL before joining Tomey's staff at San Jose State. He then coached at Arizona briefly before joining Mike Leach's staff at Washington State.

Neb canned their DC, thank god. never should have been brought from Oregon St. Bob Diaco appears to be the frontunner to replace him.

Very. And it comes with a 250k pay cut. Hopefully something will leak out because I'm obviously missing part of the equation.

I only have one SEC "source" and I talked to him today. He is really connected. He told me this:

- Kiffin was ultimately canned early because he was caught recruiting active Bama players that had potential grad transfer eligibility.
- Lashlee was told to find a new job. Auburn needed a scapegoat and he was it.

Bama Offensive Tackle coach Mario Cristobal hired by Tag at Oregon as co-OC/run game coordinator. He is one of best recruiters in country but I wonder how he will translate into an OC. He's been a HC at FIU but to my knowledge he never called plays.

Sirmon out as DC at Mississippi State. They appear to be going after Todd Grantham.

They just swapped schools. Interesting. Grantham runs a 3-4, I know, Saban actually consulted him early in his tenure at Bama while Grantham was with the Dallas Cowboys as he considered him to be one of the brilliant 3-4 defensive minds. I know this, the guy never saw an offensive play he didn't wanna blitz

I only have one SEC "source" and I talked to him today. He is really connected. He told me this:

- Kiffin was ultimately canned early because he was caught recruiting active Bama players that had potential grad transfer eligibility.
- Lashlee was told to find a new job. Auburn needed a scapegoat and he was it.

kiffin is a turd and will be until further notice. I was hoping my boys would go 4-8 this year so Gus would be shown the door, but apparently I still have some misery to work thru. One can always hope this is the year (clover)

Bama Offensive Tackle coach Mario Cristobal hired by Tag at Oregon as co-OC/run game coordinator. He is one of best recruiters in country but I wonder how he will translate into an OC. He's been a HC at FIU but to my knowledge he never called plays.

You and Capt have any opinion on Dameyune being considered for that position?

I thought that was odd at best....maybe just Gump scare tactics as we get near NSD?

kiffin is a turd and will be until further notice. I was hoping my boys would go 4-8 this year so Gus would be shown the door, but apparently I still have some misery to work thru. One can always hope this is the year (clover)

We won the "fire your coach bowl"

Barley......and did we really win?! lol

Time will tell

Back