Coaching hires and rumors

Aub is a decent shot if Malzahn gets canned next year - new guy could maybe bring him on - he's an Aub guy. I felt like the loss of Derwin James combined with the early season offensive juggernauts yall faced just painted an inaccurate picture of they type of defense you really are. His adjusted D is fringe top 25 and that's saying something considering how bad things went early. I know yall will miss Demarcus Walker, one of my fav players in the game to watch. I often wonder what it would be like if he went with Bama? Opener next year at the new GA Dome should be awesome. Would think both teams will be top 10

cant wait! Just hope it's a great game. Glad both schools made it happen

I'm not sure how his buyout works but from my understanding he gets 11 mil if he goes fishing for two years and forefits that if he takes new HC job? If that's the case it would just depends what he values more - money or coaching. It's not as good a job as Houston due to facilities but would still be a top 3 G5, IMO. They are set up for a top 25 year again next year and are in an embarrassing rich talent bed.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Charlie Strong, FSU co-OC Lawrence Dawsey, Alabama OC Lane Kiffin &amp; Ohio State DC Greg Schiano top candidates at USF, sources told <a href="https://twitter.com/espn">@ESPN</a></p>&mdash; Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/806477238816411648">December 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm not sure how his buyout works but from my understanding he gets 11 mil if he goes fishing for two years and forefits that if he takes new HC job? If that's the case it would just depends what he values more - money or coaching. It's not as good a job as Houston due to facilities but would still be a top 3 G5, IMO. They are set up for a top 25 year again next year and are in an embarrassing rich talent bed.

kinda. the buyout is reportedly 10mm, so if he gets 2mm from usf, or whomever--texas is on the hook for the difference between his salary (5mm) and what he's gettin from the new school.

so they'd owe him 3mm if he got 2mm from wherever.

so he's getting the money no matter what, i'd be surprised if he rides the pine for the next two years.

so he's getting the money no matter what, i'd be surprised if he rides the pine for the next two years.

Thanks
I would think him ending up there next season would be a real possibility then. I've thought it was gonna be Kiffin all along but that was bc I thought Jimbo to LSU, Taggart to FSU and Kiff to USF

"Oregon State wide receivers coach Brent Brennan will be named head coach at San Jose State, according to The Oregonian’s John Canzano."

Riley no longer under consideration for UH - My Kiffin 9/1 and Orlando 44/1 have life! Win or lose, I think my Orlando bet is second best I've ever made at 20/1+

Since when did USF become such a hot destination for big name coaches?

I'm rooting for Charlie Strong to Temple. He'd fit in perfectly here, and he's exactly what the program needs after losing Rhule -- which is a huge loss for the program and really the school, as a whole.

Agree with the above. He is an excellent coach, but I don't know about the fit.

There are some similarities between the two jobs. Temple started as a Baptist school although I think that religious connection was abandoned long ago. Both schools face a hard road in recruiting.

I'm surprised Rhule took the job because I think he was going to get opportunities that were a lot better than Baylor. Briles had some success, but it is HARD to get guys to go to a strict Baptist school in the middle of nowhere, and over the long term Baylor cannot compete with the big public universities in the Big 12. They have little spurts of success now and then, but long-term it is a hard place to succeed.

At Temple Rhule at least had academic achievement to sell, Baylor has nothing to brag about except some of the most extreme bible thumpers in Texas.

I agree he could've gotten a better opportunity if he waited. My only thinking is this. He wants to go to Baylor and turn around the program, like he did Temple, to prove his worth. Except this turnaround will be on a much bigger stage, so he can get even more recognition. Also, Baylor is at such a low place right now, he doesn't need to get to a Final-4 bid to successfully turn the program around. So he builds up the program again, stays there for 3-4 years, and then hopes to get hired at a REAL school who has a chance to win a championship.

Rhule is young enough to employ this strategy.

I'm rooting for Charlie Strong to Temple. He'd fit in perfectly here, and he's exactly what the program needs after losing Rhule -- which is a huge loss for the program and really the school, as a whole.

Since espn started telling its viewers how big the school is and it's a sleeping giant. People will believe anything.

I do and I don't watch ESPN

Large school in a talent rich, warm weather large metro area...I'm confused by those that don't

^^Agreed. Sshiano would be a great fit, having already recruited the area well in years past. One could fill a top 25 roster within throwing distance of campus.

jay norvell to nevada. was OC at neb, then OU, then texas last year i think, and was WR coach at Az st this year.

South Fla to everyone without a road map to the front door equates to MIA/FLL area of which the Univ of South Fla IS NOT.

No shit, but you had to be told that. Don't let that little fact be lost on you, Mr Iowa slash Zona.

No I didn't. What are you talking about?

Need to work on your putdowns too brah. Who the fuck wouldn't know that? Quit trying so hard.

Have you ever gambled seriously?

If you didn't know USF was in TPA/St Pete when you were 12 you needed some guidance sir.

Do you guys not think USF is a great G5 gig?
Heard it was a sleeping giant all the way back when Rutgers and them played a Thurs night game and both were top 10 I think.....
Seems long ago, and it didn't seem to happen

Every other sports news outlet saying that no decision has been made and won't be until tonight

i think charlie would be a good fit at temple as well, didn't even think about because of recruiting. his pipeline is south florida by a mile. isn't temple's footprint more PA, NJ, DMV? that's not charlie's wheel house.

i think charlie would be a good fit at temple as well, didn't even think about because of recruiting. his pipeline is south florida by a mile. isn't temple's footprint more PA, NJ, DMV? that's not charlie's wheel house.

I wonder if he were to take that job and also with Tag, they both have such incredible Florida connections, will they still try to get lots of FL kids to make the long haul? I've seen with Bama over past few years it's certainly possible to recruit nationally but it took Saban some time.

I wonder if he were to take that job and also with Tag, they both have such incredible Florida connections, will they still try to get lots of FL kids to make the long haul? I've seen with Bama over past few years it's certainly possible to recruit nationally but it took Saban some time.
this
has pretty amazing....they really don't HAVE to.....but nice to cherry pick 5 stars from around the USA

i dunno. FL---TX, vs FL----philly? or FL---BAMA. there's a big difference. i just don't know how many south florida kids your gonna get to make a long haul like that to a cold ass city that doesn't have a whole lot of tradition or name brand to these kids.

also, charlie being a DC at ND when brian eventually gets run outta town/quits and finds another job might not be a bad idea for him.

i dunno. FL---TX, vs FL----philly? or FL---BAMA. there's a big difference. i just don't know how many south florida kids your gonna get to make a long haul like that to a cold ass city that doesn't have a whole lot of tradition or name brand to these kids.

also, charlie being a DC at ND when brian eventually gets run outta town/quits and finds another job might not be a bad idea for him.

Doesn't Rutgers have a tradition of getting FL kids? Or was that just when Schiano was there? While Strong may not be pulling 4-5 stars from FL, the state is loaded with 3 star kids that don't get the UF/FSU/U/SEC offers that may take a look there

USF: South Florida has “zeroed in” on Charlie Strong and that a decision could come soon, according to a report from Roy Cummings. Cummings adds that “USF is acting quickly to have him in place and contacting / reassuring recruits this weekend before the ‘dead period’ begins next week.” Cummings adds that Strong could come on the cheap, leaving Texas on the hook for the majority of his buyout.

http://footballscoop.com/The-Scoop/

dammit to hell.

USF: South Florida has “zeroed in” on Charlie Strong and that a decision could come soon, according to a report from Roy Cummings. Cummings adds that “USF is acting quickly to have him in place and contacting / reassuring recruits this weekend before the ‘dead period’ begins next week.” Cummings adds that Strong could come on the cheap, leaving Texas on the hook for the majority of his buyout.

http://footballscoop.com/The-Scoop/

dammit to hell.
what?

AAC - The Cradle of Coaches

Really incredible the good coaches that were just poached and the good coaches that will be next up for bigger jobs from that conf.

Huh? What was the joke? I'm witty as fuck.

Explain please.

Your casual or even above average college football fan probably doesn't know USF is in the Tampa area. They probably assume it's literally in South Florida around Miami or Ft Lauderdale.

If you couldn't figure out that's what I was saying, well...

But on a gamblin forum, we all agree that USF is one of the best (I put it just behind Houston) non power 5 jobs in CFB. I would imagine most coaches looking for that next step, or to rehab a tarnished image, would as well.

Coincidentally I've seen USF and Temple both trying to get Strong.

But on a gamblin forum, we all agree that USF is one of the best (I put it just behind Houston) non power 5 jobs in CFB. I would imagine most coaches looking for that next step, or to rehab a tarnished image, would as well.

Coincidentally I've seen USF and Temple both trying to get Strong.

Lot of smoke on him to USF - which makes so much sense. I heard PSU OC and former Fordham HC, Joe Moorehead, casually mentioned today for the Temple job. That would seem to make sense - I dont keep my finger on the pulse of new england football a ton though

Shawn Elliott hired at Georgia State

At App State, Elliott served as defensive assistant, tight ends coach and offensive line coach. He joined South Carolina as offensive line coach in 2010 and was promoted to co-offensive coordinator in 2012. He developed five offensive linemen into NFL draft picks in seven years.

He served as South Carolina’s interim head coach for six games in 2015 when Steve Spurrier stepped down and went 1-5, but four losses came by one possession.
At Georgia State, Elliott inherits a relatively new program that went to its first bowl game last year, but started this year 2-8, resulting in Trent Miles’ dismissal. The Panthers finished 3-9. The program began play in 2010 and has plans for a new stadium at Turner Field.

Other finalists for the job included Arizona State offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey and Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee.

Back