Coaching hires and rumors

TCU Co-OC Doug Meachem to KU for OC and WR coach duties. Great get for KU. Not sure why he would leave TCU for KU though

You and Capt have any opinion on Dameyune being considered for that position?

I thought that was odd at best....maybe just Gump scare tactics as we get near NSD?

I'm not sure what position he's up for. I don't think very highly of him as an on field guy but he recruits well

TCU Co-OC Doug Meachem to KU for OC and WR coach duties. Great get for KU. Not sure why he would leave TCU for KU though

I read somewhere on twitter that Patterson said in a post game presser this season he may have to change the offense back, or something to that effect. I wonder if they don't try to go more pro style because with his defensive pedigree this has to be killing him. Back at the tail end of their MWC days their rush defense was like Bamas

I read somewhere on twitter that Patterson said in a post game presser this season he may have to change the offense back, or something to that effect. I wonder if they don't try to go more pro style because with his defensive pedigree this has to be killing him. Back at the tail end of their MWC days their rush defense was like Bamas

Makes sense but he could get a lot better jobs than KU

University of Wisconsin defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox has reached a five-year agreement to become Cal’s new head coach, according to a Twitter report by ESPN’s Brett McMurphy.

FOX Sports’ Bruce Feldman reported Thursday that Wilcox was in negotiations with the Bears.

Wilcox, 40, spent one season in Madison, where he led the Badgers’ defense to top-10 national rankings in scoring defense (fourth), rushing defense (third), total defense (seventh), takeaways (eighth) and interceptions (second).

He was fired as Southern California’s defensive coordinator in 2015 but had successful stints at Boise State (2006-09), Tennessee (2010-11) and Washington (2012-13) before that. He was also Cal’s linebackers coach from 2003-05.

<section id="block-1317490" class="block emphasis-h3 " style="box-sizing: border-box; margin-bottom: 40px;">

</section>

Bruce Feldman @brucefeldmancfb
<time datetime="2017-01-13" pubdate="" style="-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; line-height: 0.95;"></time><time class="byline-timestamp" itemprop="dateModified" style="-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 7px 0px 0px; color: rgb(127, 127, 127); line-height: 0.95; font-size: 12px; font-weight: 700; display: block;">Jan 14, 2017 at 8:07a ET </time>

Cal’s Jake Spavital will become the new offensive coordinator at West Virginia, a source told FOX Sports. In addition, Joe Wickline will take over as WVU’s offensive line coach. He, Spavital and head coach Dana Holgorsen have previously worked together at Oklahoma State.
The 31-year-old Spavital has worked with Holgorsen at previous stops at Houston, Oklahoma State and at West Virginia, where he was Geno Smith’s QB coach when the Mountaineers had a record-setting offense that scored 70 points on Clemson in an Orange Bowl victory. Spavital had a very impressive debut season with the Cal Bears, taking over an offense that had to replace Jared Goff — the first pick in the NFL Draft — and the team’s top six receivers. The offensive coordinator still produced the nation’s No. 10 offense, which was only down two spots from 2015. The Bears were No. 4 in the nation in passing and No. 3 in first downs.
During his time at West Virginia, Texas A&M and Cal, Spavital has proven to be an elite recruiter, landing both five-star talent (Christian Kirk, Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray) while also unearthing unheralded prospects who blossomed into stars (Kevin White, Daryl Worley and Josh Reynolds). He was also a big reason why Cal landed coveted grad transfer QB Davis Webb last year. Spavital had served as the Bears interim head coach after Cal fired Sonny Dykes last week. The Tulsa, Oklahoma, native was a finalist for the coaching vacancy, but the school has offered the job to Wisconsin’s Justin Wilcox.
<iframe id="google_ads_iframe_/8484/fscom/collegefootball/story_0" title="3rd party ad content" name="google_ads_iframe_/8484/fscom/collegefootball/story_0" width="1" height="1" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" style="-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; box-sizing: border-box; border-width: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;"></iframe>

<iframe id="google_ads_iframe_/8484/fscom/collegefootball/story_1" title="3rd party ad content" name="google_ads_iframe_/8484/fscom/collegefootball/story_1" width="1" height="1" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" style="-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; box-sizing: border-box; border-width: 0px; vertical-align: bottom; width: 1px !important; height: 1px !important;"></iframe>

A former Missouri State QB, Spavital began his coaching career at Tulsa in 2008 as an offensive quality control assistant under Gus Malzahn. The team led the nation in total offense (569.9 ypg) and ranked second in scoring offense (47.2 ppg).
At West Virginia, Spavital inherits an intriguing QB situation, as the Mountaineers have lost two-year starter Skyler Howard but has former Florida start Will Grier waiting in the wings.

Tim Lester is the next football coach for Western Michigan, the school announced Friday night.
He replaces P.J. Fleck, who left last week to coach Minnesota.
Lester, 39, served as Purdue's quarterbacks coach this past season. Before that he was offensive coordinator for two seasons at Syracuse, where he also coached quarterbacks in 2013-15.
Lester will be introduced to the media during an 11 a.m. news conference Saturday.
Lester, from Wheaton, Ill., was a four-year starting quarterback for Western Michigan in 1996-99. He passed for 11,299 yards, which ranked him fourth in FBS history at the time, and 89 touchdowns, setting 17 program and Mid-American Conference records.
He played in the XFL, Arena Football League and Arena League 2 before starting his coaching career.

UConn: Villanova defensive coordinator Billy Crocker will join the UConn staff as defensive coordinator, according to NBC Connecticut and the Hartford Courant. Crocker has spent the last 12 years at Villanova, including five as defensive coordinator.

Houston: UH has denied that former LSU quarterback Jordan Jefferson has joined the staff. Major Applewhite says further decisions haven’t been made. Jefferson deleted a tweet saying he had joined the staff. Applewhite told ESPN Radio Baton Rouge, “Any job announcement will come out of my mouth, we don't have to worry about Twitter.”

University of Wisconsin defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox has reached a five-year agreement to become Cal’s new head coach, according to a Twitter report by ESPN’s Brett McMurphy.

FOX Sports’ Bruce Feldman reported Thursday that Wilcox was in negotiations with the Bears.

Wilcox, 40, spent one season in Madison, where he led the Badgers’ defense to top-10 national rankings in scoring defense (fourth), rushing defense (third), total defense (seventh), takeaways (eighth) and interceptions (second).

He was fired as Southern California’s defensive coordinator in 2015 but had successful stints at Boise State (2006-09), Tennessee (2010-11) and Washington (2012-13) before that. He was also Cal’s linebackers coach from 2003-05.

<section id="block-1317490" class="block emphasis-h3 " style="box-sizing: border-box; margin-bottom: 40px;">

</section>
damn

wisky stays losing DC's lol

UConn: Villanova defensive coordinator Billy Crocker will join the UConn staff as defensive coordinator, according to NBC Connecticut and the Hartford Courant. Crocker has spent the last 12 years at Villanova, including five as defensive coordinator.

Houston: UH has denied that former LSU quarterback Jordan Jefferson has joined the staff. Major Applewhite says further decisions haven’t been made. Jefferson deleted a tweet saying he had joined the staff. Applewhite told ESPN Radio Baton Rouge, “Any job announcement will come out of my mouth, we don't have to worry about Twitter.
hahahaha

saw that

Bruce Feldman@BruceFeldmanCFB <small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"> 1m1 minute ago</small>
Wouldn't be surprised if Justin Wilcox tries to bring #Alabama asst Tosh Lupoi back to #Cal as new DC.

I hope this doesn't happen but wouldn't expect him to pass given the chance. Another incredible young recruiter

I'm hearing it's unlikely and that Feldman's source is his good buddy Ed Orgeron. Recruiting starting to heat up

It's been a few days but EWU OC Troy Taylor to Utah as OC/WR coaches. I've seen a little EWU film but not much. Looks like a similar offense but they actually know how to use motion and get their playmakers in space.

EWU has FBS attention. EWU HC Beau Baldwin being reported by Feldman as strong candidate for Cal OC position. I think that would be a great hire and he would reportedly double his salary. He has done well against the PAC 12 - here is how he has fared against them:

2011 L UW 30-27
2012 L WSU 24-20
2013 W OSU 49-46
2014 L UW 59-52
2015 L Oregon 61-42
2016 W WSU 45-42

I see Dykes has ended up there. Might be changing up the offense (to dykes' 5 yard pass to the sideline, followed by another 5 yard pass to the sideline line, followed by another)

I see Dykes has ended up there. Might be changing up the offense (to dykes' 5 yard pass to the sideline, followed by another 5 yard pass to the sideline line, followed by another)

What's even more odd is they haven't announced his role. I read something saying that Cumbie, who was one of two co-OC last year, will be calling plays. Either way my thought about them going pro style seems unlikely.

Don't know much about him other than I saw him pul off the most impressive thing of entire bowl season against Wazzu

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Wake Forest needed a strong hire to replace Notre Dame-bound defensive coordinator Mike Elko, and it appears they've done so.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Jay Sawvel — who directed a Minnesota defense that ranked No. 21 in 2016 — is finalizing terms become the next defensive coordinator at Wake Forest, a source tells 247Sports.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]In the 2016 season, Sawvel directed a Minnesota unit that finished 21st in total defense, 14th in yards per play and 21st in scoring defense nationally. He also composed a gameplan that held an explosive Washington State offense to nearly 200 yards below its season average in a 17-12 National Funding Holiday Bowl win to close the season.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Sawvel's successful stint as defensive coordinator in 2016 followed an impressive run heading up the Minnesota secondary. In 2015, Sawvel orchestrated a defensive back group that finished 11th in the nation in pass yards allowed and 25th in defensive passing efficiency. He also produced from that unit a fourth round draft pick in Eric Murray and an undrafted free agent in Briean Boddy-Calhoun.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Since his arrival at Minnesota in 2011, Sawvel has regularly put together some of the best passing defenses in the Big Ten and the country. He has developed three NFL draft picks in that time with Cedric Thompson and Brock Vereen each joining Murray as draft picks out of the Gophers secondary. Only five college football teams have produced NFL draft picks out of the secondary in each of the past three years.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Sawvel is also respected as a strong recruiter and evaluator as part of a staff known for its ability to find diamonds in the rough.[/FONT]

Steve Sarkisian to become OC for Falcons. Interesting 12 months for Sark. Wonder if Saban makes Locksley OC or hires another guy. Sounds like this has been in the works for a few weeks, so no surprise to Saban. Wouldn't shock me for the replacement to be named soon

Reports of philosophical differences between Saban and Sark. Well no shit Sherlock

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/2/...atlanta-falcons-alabama-offensive-coordinator

I wish some book would have posted a prop bet on Yes / No " Sark will be the Bama OC in 2017 " , as after the Tides performance by
Hurts in the Championship game , Bama's going to need someone more capable at QB development. Don't think it will be Locksley.
There are a few very capable OC's out there that Bama would have no trouble in attracting.

Guess Atlanta likes having an OC that can blow a big 4th quarter lead in the championship game

Nick is in a unique position where he can perform a thorough " Due diligence " and find the right guy that brings the right mix of playcaller
as well as developing the QB skills necessary to compete at a high level on a consistent basis. In the Championship game , I did not see a
lot of Sark coaching up his QB and Hurts looked like he needed it. There is time for Bama to fix this for the long term.

They just need to find someone willing to put up with Nick's rants.

Don't know much about him other than I saw him pul off the most impressive thing of entire bowl season against Wazzu

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Wake Forest needed a strong hire to replace Notre Dame-bound defensive coordinator Mike Elko, and it appears they've done so.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Jay Sawvel — who directed a Minnesota defense that ranked No. 21 in 2016 — is finalizing terms become the next defensive coordinator at Wake Forest, a source tells 247Sports.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]In the 2016 season, Sawvel directed a Minnesota unit that finished 21st in total defense, 14th in yards per play and 21st in scoring defense nationally. He also composed a gameplan that held an explosive Washington State offense to nearly 200 yards below its season average in a 17-12 National Funding Holiday Bowl win to close the season.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Sawvel's successful stint as defensive coordinator in 2016 followed an impressive run heading up the Minnesota secondary. In 2015, Sawvel orchestrated a defensive back group that finished 11th in the nation in pass yards allowed and 25th in defensive passing efficiency. He also produced from that unit a fourth round draft pick in Eric Murray and an undrafted free agent in Briean Boddy-Calhoun.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Since his arrival at Minnesota in 2011, Sawvel has regularly put together some of the best passing defenses in the Big Ten and the country. He has developed three NFL draft picks in that time with Cedric Thompson and Brock Vereen each joining Murray as draft picks out of the Gophers secondary. Only five college football teams have produced NFL draft picks out of the secondary in each of the past three years.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Sawvel is also respected as a strong recruiter and evaluator as part of a staff known for its ability to find diamonds in the rough.[/FONT]

This is a good hire for Wake and they are continuing to improve overall.

Hearing that there was no warning from Sark and that Saban had no idea he was leaving until shortly before the announcement. Maybe CK can have his dream come true and Nick goes after Dan Enos

I never ever understood Saban's fascination with these SC retreads who both had ridiculous amounts of emotional/mental baggage. There had to have been easier ways to get from point A to point B.

e3VCsoia

I never ever understood Saban's fascination with these SC retreads who both had ridiculous amounts of emotional/mental baggage. There had to have been easier ways to get from point A to point B.

A couple of thoughts. You have to have some really thick skin to be the OC for Saban. You are going to get yelled at and cussed out on a regular basis. Coaches who have the experience level of someone like Lane or Sark, probably don't want to put up with that stuff, unless they are out of options. Most 'name' guys aren't going to sign up for Nick's BS.

We've seen it with plenty of players, but Saban seems to love the challenge of reclamation projects. He thinks he can save anyone. It's worked out several times. The times it hasn't, we all ask why he's taking the risk that he doesn't have to take

I think it's probably coincidence that he hired 2 straight USC retreads. He has a history of hiring former head coaches on his staff. Think he knows former HCs understand what it takes to run a program and he can trust them more to do the right thing, and also to do exactly what he tells them to do

I doubt very seriously Saban wants the 2017 offense to have a higher pace than the the last couple

A couple of thoughts. You have to have some really thick skin to be the OC for Saban. You are going to get yelled at and cussed out on a regular basis. Coaches who have the experience level of someone like Lane or Sark, probably don't want to put up with that stuff, unless they are out of options. Most 'name' guys aren't going to sign up for Nick's BS.

We've seen it with plenty of players, but Saban seems to love the challenge of reclamation projects. He thinks he can save anyone. It's worked out several times. The times it hasn't, we all ask why he's taking the risk that he doesn't have to take

I think it's probably coincidence that he hired 2 straight USC retreads. He has a history of hiring former head coaches on his staff. Think he knows former HCs understand what it takes to run a program and he can trust them more to do the right thing, and also to do exactly what he tells them to do

Saban's temperament aside...you also have an incredible opportunity as the Alabama OC to leverage maximum exposure while working with the most talented players in the country. And it doesn't seem like Saban is asking his OC's to reinvent the wheel. Take our army of 5-star backs and run it behind the biggest and baddest OL in the country and try not to fuck it up for our world-class defense.

And as far as Saban's anger goes...if he was getting all up in Kiffin's ass then I say good for him, because it was well deserved. For all the praise that Kiffin gets as an 'offensive genius' that game plan against Washington was some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen and typical of Kiffin trying to somehow prove that he's the smartest person in the room (he isn't). Taking the ball out of Henry's hand against OSU 2 years ago wasn't all that genius either.

wash couldn't stop scarborough. but lane wouldn't feed him.

bama ran way too may east/west plays which made no sense whatsoever.

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]LSU has made two hires this week, adding Tommie Robinson from Southern Cal to replace Jabbar Juluke as running backs coach and adding Mickey Joseph from Louisiana Tech to replace Dameyune Craig as wide receivers coach. Now that the choices have been made, what is LSU getting out of their newest assistants?[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Here's a closer look at what they bring to the table.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular][FONT=proxima_nova_ltsemibold][FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Tommie Robinson - RB’s coach, Recruiting Coordinator[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular][FONT=proxima_nova_ltsemibold]Hometown:[/FONT] Robinson’s roots are in Phenix City, Alabama, which means for the second year in a row, LSU’s recruiting coordinator will hail from Alabama. Dameyune Craig, who served in the position last year, is a Mobile native. Robinson has coached all over the country, but he’s got recruiting connections to tap into back home. And Phenix City has turned out some SEC talent in recent years, with cornerback John Broussard signing with Auburn, linebacker Markail Benton signing with Alabama in the 2017 class and now four-star wide receiver Justyn Ross, a Top 50 prospect on the 247Composite, on deck for the 2018 class. [/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular][FONT=proxima_nova_ltsemibold]Recruiting:[/FONT] Robinson was “instrumental in the fantastic USC finish” said 247Sports national analyst Steve Wiltfong of Southern Cal’s top five finish on the recruiting trail one week ago. He was the primary recruiter for two of the nation’s top safeties in Isaiah Pola-Mao and Bubba Bolden. He was on the lead recruiter on four-star Top 100 offensive tackle Austin Jackson, and he was able to keep five-star running back Stephen Carr on board despite double-digit colleges trying to flip him away. All that led to Robinson being ranked as the No. 2 recruiter in the country on the 247Sports Recruiter Rankings, which went final after National Signing Day. When it comes to adding another strong recruiter to the staff who has ties across the country, the Tigers hit a home run here.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular][FONT=proxima_nova_ltsemibold]Coaching:[/FONT] Robinson has been in coaching since 1986, serving as a high school coach in Florida and Alabama until the 1990’s, when he took a job at Arkansas as a graduate assistant. He then made stops at Utah State, TCU, Oklahoma State, Georgia Tech, Memphis, Miami and Texas. He also spent time in the NFL, spending three seasons with both the Dallas Cowboys and later the Arizona Cardinals. 247Sports writer Jeff Howe covered Robinson during his recent stint with the Longhorns in Austin, telling the Geaux247 staff “He was pretty good as an assistant and an actual position coach while at Texas. Malcolm Brown just finished his second season in the league, and he thought (Robinson) was pretty good. The running backs really liked him. I think he’s got a chance to do pretty well at LSU with Matt Canada. I think (Canada’s) offense is right up his alley. The backs the two years he was at Texas did pretty good. He got D’Onta Foreman as a freshman and kind of developed him."[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular][FONT=proxima_nova_ltsemibold][FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Mickey Joseph - WR’s coach[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular][FONT=proxima_nova_ltsemibold]Hometown:[/FONT] Joseph attended Shaw in New Orleans, and he adds a piece to LSU’s staff that has deep connections in the city, with LSU continuing the trend from Frank Wilson to Jabbar Juluke and now Joseph. New Orleans has always been rich with talent, and that won’t change in the upcoming 2018 and 2019 classes. Having Joseph help steer LSU’s efforts there will be key. [/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular][FONT=proxima_nova_ltsemibold]Recruiting:[/FONT] Joseph has coached and recruited for schools in Louisiana, Nebraska, Alabama, Oklahoma and Mississippi, but it’s likely his efforts are focused on recruiting the New Orleans area, plus the wide receiver targets he is chasing nationally. “Mickey is well-known in our state and he has strong ties to New Orleans,” said LSU head coach Ed Orgeron. “He’s an outstanding recruiter with a great work ethic and will be a tremendous addition to the staff.” Louisiana Tech was Joseph’s first stint recruiting at the FBS level, so stepping into the SEC on the recruiting trail will likely come with some bumps in the road. But there’s hope that the 48-year old former New Orleans star turned Nebraska quarterback can make a big splash right away in his hometown. [/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular][FONT=proxima_nova_ltsemibold]Coaching:[/FONT] Joseph has done a bit of everything during his coaching career. He was a high school and college quarterback, then landed his first job at Wayne State College as the team’s run game coordinator. He then went on to coach quarterbacks, wide receivers and running backs during his next three college stops. Joseph was the head coach and athletic director at Desire Street Academy before taking the associate head coach title and later head coaching job at Langston University in Oklahoma. He then coached wide receivers, special teams and running backs during stops at Alcorn State, Grambling State and Louisiana Tech. He’s tasked with coaching wide receivers at LSU, and it will be the program’s fourth wide receivers coach in as many years. “He’s an outstanding coach with a great deal of experience on the offensive side of the ball,” Orgeron said. Joseph also has football in the family, with his brother Vance Joseph serving as the head coach of the Denver Broncos.[/FONT]

Robinson has the pedigree......Like to hear Frank Costanza take and UT guys. Word is he got pushed outta TX for NOT recruiting....that true?

UGA fires Tracy Rocker and hires Tray Scott from Ole Miss. That's a headscratcher. Hopefully, Ole Miss will hire Rocker. If so they will have won that trade.

UGA fires Tracy Rocker and hires Tray Scott from Ole Miss. That's a headscratcher. Hopefully, Ole Miss will hire Rocker. If so they will have won that trade.

Apparently he got into quite the verbal fight with Solomons mom during the recruitment.

Don't be surprised if AU opens the checkbook to bring him back there. Would love to add Rocker to our staff. Not the greatest recruiter, but the man can coach

my memory of him as a player is him getting hit way, way late out of bounds vs oklahoma and needing 125 stitches on his leg. i can't even imagine what that looked like.

his contract was up and USC really wanted him, so it was more than just recruiting. he probably saw the writing on the wall as far as charlie was going.

Back