CFL Syndicate 2024

The Montreal Alouettes signed veteran American quarterback Dominique Davis on Tuesday.

The move comes after veteran backup Caleb Evans suffered a knee injury in Montreal's 33-16 road win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Friday. The Alouettes announced Tuesday that Evans' injury is season-ending.

Been travelling out of country all week so I'm just catching up this aft. See I missed some good numbers but there's still some value on the board.

I've been lazy about updating my record and its been a rough reg season so far. I think I'm down 2-3 units or so. Nothing I can't come back from.

1* Toronto ML -125
Can't see how Toronto doesn't win the rubber match. The second game always favours the loser of the first and they're coming home where they don't lose often. Calgary OTOH hasn't won a road game yet.

1* Edmonton ML -125
Tre Ford impressed me last week. We all knew about his playground playmaking and athleticism but last week he showed he had potential as a pocket passer too. Now they have some momentum and they come home to face a BC team starting Jake Dolegala. Give me Ford and the Elks.

I think this season it's 2-0 for the team that won the first game (RR's over your Cats, week 2&3; RB's over Elks week 6&7.)
The big question though is does the recent trend go to 3-0 or is the game one loser due for a win this time?

On the Elks game it will be interesting to see how they come out - psyched and ready for more, or a let down after getting the win-less Mouse off their back?
Yes, Ford looked good. The mistakes are concerning, from a player and coaching POV.
They receive the second half kick off but before they can run a play they have to take a time out because they don't have enough players on the field.
That's amateur at any time in a game but especially so coming out of the locker room.
Then, to make matters worse, they get a penalty for play clock violation.
Two embarrassing F-ups before they could even run a single down!
But ya gotta love how they played when it mattered most, in the fourth quarter.

BC this week? I don't know. Which is more disturbing, zero points or just FOUR first downs?
And a TOP differential of 18 minutes to 42??!!

Good luck with your plays.

(ok, here's a bit of wierdness. I posted m-o-n-k-e-y off their back", but it comes out as Mouse.
Tried to fix with an edit but it happened again. Had to use hyphens to get it to say Mouse)
It did it again in that sentence!
What's up with that?

Last edited:
I think this season it's 2-0 for the team that won the first game (RR's over your Cats, week 2&3; RB's over Elks week 6&7.)
The big question though is does the recent trend go to 3-0 or is the game one loser due for a win this time?

On the Elks game it will be interesting to see how they come out - psyched and ready for more, or a let down after getting the win-less Mouse off their back?
Yes, Ford looked good. The mistakes are concerning, from a player and coaching POV.
They receive the second half kick off but before they can run a play they have to take a time out because they don't have enough players on the field.
That's amateur at any time in a game but especially so coming out of the locker room.
Then, to make matters worse, they get a penalty for play clock violation.
Two embarrassing F-ups before they could even run a single down!
But ya gotta love how they played when it mattered most, in the fourth quarter.

BC this week? I don't know. Which is more disturbing, zero points or just FOUR first downs?
And a TOP differential of 18 minutes to 42??!!

Good luck with your plays.

(ok, here's a bit of wierdness. I posted m-o-n-k-e-y off their back", but it comes out as Mouse.
Tried to fix with an edit but it happened again. Had to use hyphens to get it to say Mouse)
It did it again in that sentence!
What's up with that?
Welcome aboard and thanks for joining in. The more the merrier. You make a lot of good points.

It has been a bit strange this year to see a couple situations where a team wins both games of a B2B but that's def not the trend historically. Looking at this matchup more deeply, I think Toronto was the better team for almost 3 quarters last week and Calgary really only had 1 good quarter. Now that the Argos return home, I think they will prove themselves the better team. I'm not crazy about Arbuckle starting because of his high variance but I still think they are the better team and at home. Calgary's home/road variance this year has been stark. Another interesting stat I heard this week: Ryan Dinwiddie has a fantastic record when playing a team for the second time in a season. It suggests he's a good tactical coach who can put together a gameplan.

You're right about the Elks. As decent as Ford looked, they are still poorly coached and have a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot on the regular. I don't think Jackson is a great HC. I didn't think he was a great OC for that matter. They're also saddled with probably the league's worst defence. But my bet on the Elks is more of a fade of a BC team without VAj. Take him away and what do they have left? Their defence is average on a good day. Their OL is horrid although VAj's mobility was able to paper over that somewhat. Dolegala is a 6'7" statue back there and he is going to be under pressure all night. They have a lot of weapons in the receiving corps but I don't trust Dolegala to get it to them whatsoever. They don't have much of a run game either although they might try to establish it more with such an immobile QB back there.

ML.........1-1
Spread.6-0
O/U.......9-6
Parley...2-10
Total......18-17 +$116

Saskatchewan/Ottawa o48.5 60/114
Tend to agree on the over here but a heavy rainfall warning is keeping me off. Fortunately it looks like the major rain will not come until at least the second half.

Hamilton +7

Looks like I missed the 7.5. Fajardo confirmed out. Think Hamilton with a second look in a row vs Alexander can cause him some further troubles. Hamilton's offense was listless last week and I expect them to bounce back. This is still a team I believe is much better than their record and I will fade Davis Alexander laying a TD every time.

Hamilton +7

Looks like I missed the 7.5. Fajardo confirmed out. Think Hamilton with a second look in a row vs Alexander can cause him some further troubles. Hamilton's offense was listless last week and I expect them to bounce back. This is still a team I believe is much better than their record and I will fade Davis Alexander laying a TD every time.
Agree completely. Hamilton is so inconsistent its hard to back them but 7 points is just too much. Should probably be somewhere around 3.

1* Hamilton +7 -109

Agree completely. Hamilton is so inconsistent its hard to back them but 7 points is just too much. Should probably be somewhere around 3.

1* Hamilton +7 -109
Hulu, was just at the store Proline still has Hamilton +7.5 @ 1.83 don't play in-store much at all anymore but that line may force me to go and get a couple tickets.

Hulu, was just at the store Proline still has Hamilton +7.5 @ 1.83 don't play in-store much at all anymore but that line may force me to go and get a couple tickets.
Took a quick trip to store bought a ticket spread was down to +6.5 had it cancelled and refunded, cashier not to happy, lol, thats the way the cookie crumbles.

I didn't even realize they did proline at the store anymore. That brings back memories. My gambling journey began at 16 when proline first came out.

I used to stop by a convenience store owned by a chinese family on the way home from high school. I'd pull up to the counter with my proline ticket and a nudie magazine and the woman would always ask my age. I would deepen my voice and say "18 maam" and that was all it took. Those were the days.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats @ Montreal Alouettes o49.5 100/196
Hamilton +7.5 20/37 (store ticket went back & tried again lol)

I didn't even realize they did proline at the store anymore. That brings back memories. My gambling journey began at 16 when proline first came out.

I used to stop by a convenience store owned by a chinese family on the way home from high school. I'd pull up to the counter with my proline ticket and a nudie magazine and the woman would always ask my age. I would deepen my voice and say "18 maam" and that was all it took. Those were the days.
This is a wonderful story. The age for our Proline equivalent in BC changed to 19 from 16 JUST after I turned 16...God tried to send me a sign not to gamble...but I didn't listen!

Canadian quarterback Nathan Rourke has been cut from an NFL training camp roster for the second time this year.

The Atlanta Falcons released Rourke on Sunday, just 10 days after he signed with the team.

After failing to catch on with an NFL team, Nathan Rourke is making a well-timed return to the CFL's B.C. Lions.

The Lions announced the star Canadian quarterback's return Tuesday. Rourke, who was waived on Sunday by the NFL's Atlanta Falcons, was a CFL free agent.

After failing to catch on with an NFL team, Nathan Rourke is making a well-timed return to the CFL's B.C. Lions.

The Lions announced the star Canadian quarterback's return Tuesday. Rourke, who was waived on Sunday by the NFL's Atlanta Falcons, was a CFL free agent.
He is now signed and will be at practice and introduced to the media on wednesday.

1.5* BC Lions ML -115

I mean, how can you not? Rourke is in playing shape having just played in an NFL preseason game and he knows the system and the OC and HC. Campbell has all but confirmed he will be starting on Sunday. The line moved 4 points already but the step up from Dolegala to Rourke should be more like 8 points if not more. Even if he is not in peak form, the Lions should win this game.

1* Saskatchewan ML -105

Also gonna take a shot with the green riders. It’s Trevor Harris vs Davis Alexander and Sask is at home and getting healthier. They’ll have Thurman back at MLB and likely Oulette too. I like Hickson as a runner but Oulette is a better blocker and that’s more important in the 3 down game.

Also strong lean on Ottawa now that the line has ballooned to +3.5. As good as Calgary is at home, this is just too many points. I made in 1.5. But as much as I will be rooting for Masoli to make a triumphant comeback, its hard to back a guy who has played about 1 quarter of football in 2 years. Who knows what kind of game shape he's in.

Surprised BC is still sitting at -1 this morning. I think it will be -3 at least by kickoff

Winnipeg has some things going for it too. Off a bye and getting back Kenny Lawler and DL Celestin Haba. But I still think that Rourke will give this team a huge lift over the hapless Dolegala and they should have a big crowd on hand. Wouldn't be surprised if it is a sellout.

1* Ottawa +4 -106

Ok this line has moved far enough for me. Its a big gamble backing a guy who has barely played in 2 years but I think Masoli can find just enough to compete here. He looked good to start 2022 and this redblacks team is superior in almost every facet than that team. Better OL and great receivers. Better overall defence too. And its not like he's stepping in for a superstar. Dru Brown has looked solid most of the time but this Ottawa team has been getting it done through defence. I don't think Masoli is a huge step down and might even be an equal. On the other side, Calgary is a perfect 4-0 at home but they haven't been blowing anyone out. They beat the hapless tabbies by 8 in week 1. Since then they battled Winnipeg to OT, beat BC by 1 and Toronto by 4. And that win over BC that looked so impressive at the time looks less so now that BC has shit the bed for 3 straight weeks. The stamps are on a short week to boot. I made this line Calgary -1.5. I gotta take the points here.

edit...also forgot to mention that the Stamps OL is a MASH unit right now. 4/5 linemen have changed since these teams played 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Ok so where are we with the QB carousel? 5/8 teams are changing QB this week.

Ottawa - Masoli confirmed starting
Calgary - Maier as always

Montreal - Alexander took first team snaps so far but Fajardo is listed as available. Maas not saying who is starting but my guess is Alexander. Non-division game and they are so far ahead of everyone else in the east, why risk Fajardo? Especially when Alexander is 3-0 starting.
Sask - Trevor Harris returns from injury

Edmonton - Not confirmed but looking like Ford is out and Macbeth will start. Won't know until depth charts are released
Hamilton - Bo is benched, Taylor Powell starting

Winnipeg - Collaros as usual
BC - Rourke all but confirmed to be starting. Not official but they just cut Dolegala today and VAj is still injured. They way they are marketing and pushing ticket sales, there would be riots if he doesn't.

Last edited:
A lot of interest in the under in Hamilton this week.

On paper you have the 2 worst defences in the league and teams that have combined to go 12-6 to the over this season and the total is set at an appropriately high 53. But I think that misses the big fundamental difference with Taylor Powell starting for Hamilton. He is a decent QB who proved he could win you a few games last year but he is a totally different QB than Bo. He is solid but not flashy and his offence tends to be more of a ball control, incremental field position type. Low ADOT and fairly safe. He is not going to score on every drive but he is likely to get a first down or two before punting and those types are gold for an under.

On the other side, its looking likely that Macbeth will be getting the start. Thats another significant change. With Macbeth starting the Elks were averaging 24ppg. With Tre Ford that ballooned to 34ppg which skewed their numbers a little bit. Ford led them to 3 straight overs. With Macbeth starting it was 3-3. Another factor: part of the Elks success over the last 2 games was the running attack of Leake. But what really opened this up was the running threat posed by Tre Ford. Substitute Macbeth and I suspect those rushing lanes won't be as pliable. If there is one thing Hamilton's defence is halfway capable of, its run stopping.

I don't think most of this has been priced into the market. If this ticks up toward kickoff as I suspect it might, good chance I'll take the under.

Possibility of wildfire smoke messing with the game in Calgary tonight and in Sask on Friday night. Could delay the start or even postpone the game if its bad enough.

60% chance of rain in Hamilton on Saturday night which helps the under but its a bit far out to predict with any accuracy.

Is it just me or is this the biggest week of news the CFL has had in years? Normally any one of these story lines would dominate the news cycle for the week but right now they're all happening simultaneously.

• Rourke gets cut by Atlanta then signs with BC - HUGE
  • CFL going to make a decision on Chad Kelly's reinstatement
  • Huge controversy regarding the role of the command centre and rumors that the CFL plans to make changes (more news to come in tonights pregame show)
  • Elks get sold to a private owner after 75 years of public ownership
  • Rumors that the new owner will rebrand the team, possibly bringing back the old name which would be a major own goal
  • Bo Levi Mitchell benched in favour of Taylor Powell
  • Tre Ford lighting it up then gets hurt
  • Cody Fajardo and Trevor Harris both playing against their former teams (derailed by the fact that Fajardo may not start)

Is it just me or is this the biggest week of news the CFL has had in years? Normally any one of these story lines would dominate the news cycle for the week but right now they're all happening simultaneously.

• Rourke gets cut by Atlanta then signs with BC - HUGE
  • CFL going to make a decision on Chad Kelly's reinstatement
  • Huge controversy regarding the role of the command centre and rumors that the CFL plans to make changes (more news to come in tonights pregame show)
  • Elks get sold to a private owner after 75 years of public ownership
  • Rumors that the new owner will rebrand the team, possibly bringing back the old name which would be a major own goal
  • Bo Levi Mitchell benched in favour of Taylor Powell
  • Tre Ford lighting it up then gets hurt
  • Cody Fajardo and Trevor Harris both playing against their former teams (derailed by the fact that Fajardo may not start)
Absolutely wild!

ML.........2-1
Spread.6-1
O/U.......11-8
Parley...2-11
Total......21-21 +$154

Not liking much this week but gotta have something to keep me interested as it looks like a indoor weekend here 90% rain forecast for next 3 days ouch !!

2/3 Rotation
Calgary Stampeders ML ❌
BC Lions ML
Ottawa Redblacks @ Calgary Stampeders o49.5✅
30/?

Calgary Stampeders 15/25❌
Ottawa Redblacks @ Calgary Stampeders o49.5 17/33✅

Last edited:
So Maas says Fajardo will likely not play unless necessary. The ALs have also lost Philpot and Najee Murray. They're on a short week too.

Sask gets back Harris, Thurman, Oulette. And yet the line is moving toward Montreal. I may have to add to my Sask bet

1* Saskatchewan ML -105

Also gonna take a shot with the green riders. It’s Trevor Harris vs Davis Alexander and Sask is at home and getting healthier. They’ll have Thurman back at MLB and likely Oulette too. I like Hickson as a runner but Oulette is a better blocker and that’s more important in the 3 down game.
Adding another half unit at +127 now that the line has moved so far. I really don't understand it. I've looked at this game every which way and I still think its more likelly than not Sask wins straight up. Full bet now as follows...

1.5* Saskatchewan ML +106

Looking like some rain coming to Regina around halftime or shortly thereafter.
Interesting. Where are you seeing that? The hourly forecast I see shows 0% chance of rain until tomorrow morning. Curious that two forecasts could be so different.

Money came in on Sask today as it always seems to on game day. They have the biggest fan base in the league by a long stretch and they love to bet their riders. Especially for home games.

Interesting. Where are you seeing that? The hourly forecast I see shows 0% chance of rain until tomorrow morning. Curious that two forecasts could be so different.
Weather channel shows 20% starting around 7pm changing to 70% 10am tomorrow morning.

Back