CFL Syndicate 2022

Hulu

#3DownNation
Alright its time to get this shit started in earnest. Let the offseason thread with its negative vibes and talk of the commissioner's bumbling incompetence be lost to the sands of time. Lets focus on the positive and have another winning season.

Syndicate Record here at CTG...

2017 65-50-3 56.5% +24.02*
2018 71-50-1 58.7% +19.69*
2019 76-58-4 56.7% +13.38*
2020 Season Cancelled
2021 62-49-0 55.9% +4.19*

Overall 274-207-8 57%

Calling all syndicate members, voyeurs & clingers. @guaranteeed @Teapot9 @Sammy Meatballs @B.A.R. @spottie2935 @SIGO @norwesterner @CPA-hole and anyone else who wants to make some $$.

First things first. Here's the futures I am down on as of now.

0.25* Ottawa Grey Cup +2500
Value play. I believe this number is anywhere from +1100 to +1500 now so the value has been sucked out. Make no mistake this is the longest shot of them all. I took this right after the free agent frenzy and with Ottawa signing 17 players including many big names, they have a chance to really turn things around. I said it last year and I'll say it again...this team really reminds me of Hamilton in '97/98. The cats finished 2-16 in 97 (I was at every miserable game) and managed to turn it around to go 12-5-1 with a grey cup berth in '98 (losing to Calgary on a last play FG). I feel like Ottawa has exactly the same look. A decent defense and an offense badly in need of a QB, OL and receivers. Well they got that in spades signing Jeremiah Masoli to lead the team and using that as leverage to lure almost every big free agent name there was. Their OL has gone from being league-worst to looking like a top-3 line with depth and they have signed plenty of skill position players to complement Masoli. Now its going to take some time to gel but its a long season and Hamilton did it in 98. Hell even Toronto overhauled much of their roster last year and ended up in first place so it can be done. I'm not saying Ottawa should be favoured to win the cup...I just think they have a way better chance than +2500 would imply.

0.5* Saskatchewan over 9.5 RSW -133
I think the west should be a battle between WInnipeg and Sask all season. They haven't gone under this number in several years (2019's 14 game season excepted) and I don't see that they have regressed very much. They have some holes to fill in their secondary and the OL will have to show some improvement after some key retirements left it as a hastily-assembled mess LY but they did manage to address a glaring weakness, the lack of a big play receiver who can stratch the field. They brought in Duke Williams late LY and now that he and Fajardo have had some time together, I think that could be a really big tandem. I think they could be an over team this year.

0.5* Calgary under 9.5 RSW +105
This team looked pretty good on toward the end of least year but they have lost a lot. Bo peep is one year older and although he says he is feeling better than ever, he's said that for the last 2 seasons and it hasn't been exactly true. I'm not sure he will ever be his old self again. They are once again, pretty thin at receiver and Bo doesn't have guys to bail him out like he once did. The OL got decimated in free agency and then they tried to address it in the draft but 2 of the OL they drafted retired shortly after. They will be starting at least 3 rookies it looks like and that's never a good thing. Its always scary betting against the Hufnagel/Dikenson tandem but I just don't see how the stamps go anywhere but down in 2022.

So the May 23 preseason game has been moved to May 31. Too bad as there was a great angle in that game.

Cardale Jones has been cut by the Elks. JT Barrett already left before that. Thus ends Chris Jones tOSU QB reanimation experiment. At some point you'd have to think he will figure out that trying to revive washed up players is not the best strategy. Its hard to see them being anything but the worst team in the league this year. I know Jones is a winner but he has made so many bizarre moves.

Training camp notes of interest...

Edmonton had to cancel their intrasquad scrimmage. Chris Jones blamed the scoreboard and sound system not working but the real story is they have a number of offensive linemen on the shelf right now and didn't want to risk any more getting hurt.

Toronto says they will not dress MBT or Pipkin for thier first preseason game @ Ottawa this Friday. Austin Simmons and Chad Kelly will get all the reps. Kelly has apparently looked pretty good in drills so far. I would assume Ottawa will want to play their first team offense for at least a quarter given all the changes there but I'll wait for some confirmation on that.

Toronto says they will not dress MBT or Pipkin for thier first preseason game @ Ottawa this Friday. Austin Simmons and Chad Kelly will get all the reps. Kelly has apparently looked pretty good in drills so far. I would assume Ottawa will want to play their first team offense for at least a quarter given all the changes there but I'll wait for some confirmation on that
Per the Ottawa Sun…

The Redblacks open their pre-season schedule at home Friday vs. Toronto. Look for a heavy mix of veterans to open the game, with many of the rookies getting time later in the game. Basically, the team will dress whoever is healthy enough to play.

This is a fucking disaster.

For the players to vote it down after the bargaining committee and team reps recommended it is nothing less than a vote to reject the union.

This is a fucking disaster.

For the players to vote it down after the bargaining committee and team reps recommended it is nothing less than a vote to reject the union.
Yep, so they basically need a new leadership in place, unless their is one specific thing they have issue with

Cant imagine this all happens quickly

Yep, so they basically need a new leadership in place, unless their is one specific thing they have issue with

Cant imagine this all happens quickly

That’s what I am thinking. Even if they miss the preseason only it will be another lane year like last.

And if, as everyone suspects, it’s about the ratio, how do the Americans and Canadians not be at war. What a distraction for teams. The war of 1812 playing out in every locker room.

Worst case scenario if the season were cancelled I could see a couple of owners just handing in the keys and walking away. The league would collapse in short order.

Best case scenario: they agree to continue the season without a CBA until the union leadership can be reconstituted and put another deadline to get a deal done. Like end of the regular season. No deal, no playoffs. That would create sufficient pressure to get it done.

The league has played partial seasons without a CBA in the past

Whispers that the league has already submitted a revised agreement to the players that they will vote on shortly. It this is true, it looks like the worst has been avoided.

Does anyone see any preseason lines yet?

I have contacted every book in my arsenal and all I get is "we'll put up lines closer to the event" but its 2 days away!!

I see one book with lines but only $50 limits. The others should start to copy soon I would think.

Ok @Teapot9 here you go...

0.5* Ottawa +13 -110

This is a ludicrous number for any preseason game which typically total in the high 30s, let alone one where Toronto is leaving half their starters home and Ottawa has a whole new offense that needs reps.

I doubt this number sticks around but I was prepared to take Ottawa at +7 or better so there's plenty of time to get bets in. This will be a full unit play if I can get more books that give me numbers.

Ok @Teapot9 here you go...

0.5* Ottawa +13 -110

This is a ludicrous number for any preseason game which typically total in the high 30s, let alone one where Toronto is leaving half their starters home and Ottawa has a whole new offense that needs reps.

I doubt this number sticks around but I was prepared to take Ottawa at +7 or better so there's plenty of time to get bets in. This will be a full unit play if I can get more books that give me numbers.
Love it. My local deli doesn’t have it up yet.

Got it, I'll pick you up a shiny new one at the game tomorrow.
I work with a guy who grew up 14 hours north of Toronto. Can’t remember the name of the town but I told I have a friend who says you haven’t lived until you’ve taken a shit when it’s -35 degrees outside. He had a good chuckle.

I work with a guy who grew up 14 hours north of Toronto. Can’t remember the name of the town but I told I have a friend who says you haven’t lived until you’ve taken a shit when it’s -35 degrees outside. He had a good chuckle.
He ain't wrong. We used to carve a toilet seat out of styrofoam for our outhouse because it picks up your body heat quick so you won't stick to it

A number of books have skipped preseason altogether and have posted week 1 lines already so I got down on this play since I doubt this number hangs around...

1* Ottawa +12 -110

Once again, this is for the Jun 10 match between Ottawa and Winnipeg, not the preseason where I also have a bet on Ottawa.

Thoughts later

A number of books have skipped preseason altogether and have posted week 1 lines already so I got down on this play since I doubt this number hangs around...

1* Ottawa +12 -110

Once again, this is for the Jun 10 match between Ottawa and Winnipeg, not the preseason where I also have a bet on Ottawa.

Thoughts later
Already at 11 I'm seeing so irs on the move

Back