CFB Rankings Week #4

Special Teams sure do fucking count...
Ask UM vs Sparty last year and Bama vs Aubbie a few years back...

Will the BiG really leave their conference winner out?!

Wisconsin almost should be to me as they lost to both Michigan and Ohio State. But if we are talking about Washington over Wiscy then no.

Penn St is screwed, NCAA will f them hard. This was not supposed to happen under any circumstance. Believe calls have already been made. I think memo was clear Tuesday, they aren't getting in and here is how.

Loved watching the playoff show a couple weeks ago live from MSG and Herbie telling everyone that Louisville deserved to be top 4 and Galloway owning him then Ville losing by 30 two nights later.
Yes that was great

Poor okie state, no one mentions the Hail Mary that shouldn't have happened. Again if okie state was Ohio state or notre dame or Alabama or Oklahoma that would be considered... not if u are okie state.
mental idiot booger McFarland tonight on tv argued I see their record in the paper with two losses is all that matters. Yeah he said that n gets paid

they all say that about the 2 losses. so i ask them, how many losses would washington have playing in the big 10 with opponents OSU or Michigan played or Wiscy or PSU for that matter. Surely two. NON conf has to mean something. Western Mich played 10x tougher non conf. So if we keeping W Mich at 17 with 0 loss based on schedule why is Wash at 4?

Special Teams sure do fucking count...
Ask UM vs Sparty last year and Bama vs Aubbie a few years back...

Did you forget last year's championship game already? Saban said Bama would have lost to Clemson if the proposal to eliminate kickoffs had been enacted.

Washington is better than tosu and match up perfectly qoth mich who is otherwise about the same as washington. Big10 most overrated conderence in years.

Did you forget last year's championship game already? Saban said Bama would have lost to Clemson if the proposal to eliminate kickoffs had been enacted.

I doubt he forgot it (well, it is Twinkie so you never know), but it just didn't actually happen. What you just mentioned was a hypothetical, it didn't actually impact a game as the two he mentioned actually did.

Washington is better than tosu and match up perfectly qoth mich who is otherwise about the same as washington. Big10 most overrated conderence in years.

It's really fascinating how many people think UW sucks because they steamrolled the normal P12 powerhouses in a "down" year, likely because UW is pretty fucking good, and scheduled Rutgers 4 years ago when they were decent. Would love to see them match up with the 2 seed but doesn't seem that will happen and don't really think they can give Bama a game, but the team is very, very good. Lose to USC at home, bad. Lose to Pitt at home, ok. It's funny that 70-21 at freaking Autzen doesn't mean shit, don't care what Oregon became.

It's so subjective, just dogs chasing tails at this point.

Big 10 is the most overrated conference , which IMO creates a betting opportunity. I believe it will be Clemson and
Bama as the contenders . Don't know if it will be a repeat of last year except that Bama now has Jeremy Pruitt as
their DC. This will help them considerably in that matchup if it develops. Pruitt is a great defensive coordinator , and
has proven that he can defend the spread.

Big 10 is the most overrated conference , which IMO creates a betting opportunity. I believe it will be Clemson and
Bama as the contenders . Don't know if it will be a repeat of last year except that Bama now has Jeremy Pruitt as
their DC. This will help them considerably in that matchup if it develops. Pruitt is a great defensive coordinator , and
has proven that he can defend the spread.

To clarify this point further , Jeremy Pruitt was the DB coach at Bama before he left for FSU to assume the role of DC to help FSU
win a National championship.This was Bama ' s " achilles heel " under Kirby Smart in Pruitt's absence. Now that Smart is gone and
Pruitt is the DC , the defensive secondary has improved considerably , and totally as a unit.

FWIW

It's really fascinating how many people think UW sucks because they steamrolled the normal P12 powerhouses in a "down" year, likely because UW is pretty fucking good, and scheduled Rutgers 4 years ago when they were decent. Would love to see them match up with the 2 seed but doesn't seem that will happen and don't really think they can give Bama a game, but the team is very, very good. Lose to USC at home, bad. Lose to Pitt at home, ok. It's funny that 70-21 at freaking Autzen doesn't mean shit, don't care what Oregon became.

It's so subjective, just dogs chasing tails at this point.

Why does it have to be one or the other, and whom are you speaking about directly who said that? Why can't both teams be flawed because of their losses? It seems you're just creating this in your own mind and presenting it as if someone is actually saying it.

And of course it's subjective...that's pretty much the entire point of the thread. No, that doesn't mean anyone thinks subjective is okay, in fact it seems most are opposed to how subjective it is.

To clarify this point further , Jeremy Pruitt was the DB coach at Bama before he left for FSU to assume the role of DC to help FSU
win a National championship.This was Bama ' s " achilles heel " under Kirby Smart in Pruitt's absence. Now that Smart is gone and
Pruitt is the DC , the defensive secondary has improved considerably , and totally as a unit.

FWIW

A lot of bettors " don't get it " at this point of the process , but it's all about matchups. The only difference is the
matchups are a lot tighter and the margin for error is a lot smaller at this point in the season.

Don't get sucked into betting a bad number.

Big ten isn't overrated. It's other conferences are underrated. In PAC if you aren't USC or Oregon no one gives a fuck. Washington good team and if they lose a close one to a good Buffs team they should still be in conversation but won't. Clemson pulled rabbits out of their ass all year but no one cares. In all honesty Washington should be #2 if the pundits really believe USC is as good as they say. tOSU lost to an unranked PSU and Clemson lost to an unranked Pitt.

I doubt he forgot it (well, it is Twinkie so you never know), but it just didn't actually happen. What you just mentioned was a hypothetical, it didn't actually impact a game as the two he mentioned actually did.

I don't follow. The onside kick probably won the game for Bama. And the kickoff return was big too.

FWIW

That's all well and good, but last year Bama had Smart and a -5 in turnovers, and Ole Miss scored 43 points on them.

This year, Bama had Pruitt and a +1, and Ole Miss scored 43 on them again.

Kelly threw for 421 yards at 10.5 yards per pass, with 3 TDs and no INTs.

The homerism ITT is unreal. Everyone can make some kind of argument for their team...

The Buffs lost to Mich and USC - 2 amazing RANKED teams - OTR. THEY MADE IT TO THEIR CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP! If they beat Washington, they should be in as they would be the PAC 12 Champs with 2 losses against great teams.

You know what? I can argue all day long, but if the Buffs win they still aren't one of the best teams. I am hopeful that they win and get to the Rose Bowl.

Michigan has 2 losses (one against an unranked team) and isn't even playing for their championship. Yes, they are a great team, but they shouldn't get it.

Buffs in?

IDK man....when you gotta start the argument about 2 "great" losses.....well, you kinda know

buffs should be happy for Rose like you said

all you wackos think that thing is better than the Natty anyway, right? :tiphat:

The homerism ITT is unreal. Everyone can make some kind of argument for their team...

The Buffs lost to Mich and USC - 2 amazing RANKED teams - OTR. THEY MADE IT TO THEIR CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP! If they beat Washington, they should be in as they would be the PAC 12 Champs with 2 losses against great teams.

You know what? I can argue all day long, but if the Buffs win they still aren't one of the best teams. I am hopeful that they win and get to the Rose Bowl.

Michigan has 2 losses (one against an unranked team) and isn't even playing for their championship. Yes, they are a great team, but they shouldn't get it.

I get the point you're making. So I'll throw Wisconsin back into this. Why shouldn't they be the top two loss team?

At the time they played their two loses were to #2 Ohio St and #4 Michigan, both by one score, and they're both still in the mix for the top 4. They also beat some pretty dang good teams, especially at the time they played them. #5 LSU, #8 Michigan St, #7 Nebraska, and if they beat Penn State #7, they also won on the road at Iowa and Northwestern, and beat a very underrated Minnesota team. No bad losses.

I'm fine with Alabama no matter what happens in conference game and with wins Washington and Clemson. If Penn St would have lost Saturday Ohio St would be facing Wisconsin again in the Big 10 Championship game. Wisconsin could have for sure punched their ticket with a win. Why should Ohio St get rewarded for not doing enough to make it to the conference championship game? They're benefiting from not having to play. That makes zero sense to me.

Pending teams winning, give me Clemson v. Washington and Alabama v. the conference winner in Big 10. If Washington were to lose I'd have no problem with debating Ohio St v Colorado for #4

I get the point you're making. So I'll throw Wisconsin back into this. Why shouldn't they be the top two loss team?

At the time they played their two loses were to #2 Ohio St and #4 Michigan, both by one score, and they're both still in the mix for the top 4. They also beat some pretty dang good teams, especially at the time they played them. #5 LSU, #8 Michigan St, #7 Nebraska, and if they beat Penn State #7, they also won on the road at Iowa and Northwestern, and beat a very underrated Minnesota team. No bad losses.

I'm fine with Alabama no matter what happens in conference game and with wins Washington and Clemson. If Penn St would have lost Saturday Ohio St would be facing Wisconsin again in the Big 10 Championship game. Wisconsin could have for sure punched their ticket with a win. Why should Ohio St get rewarded for not doing enough to make it to the conference championship game? They're benefiting from not having to play. That makes zero sense to me.

Pending teams winning, give me Clemson v. Washington and Alabama v. the conference winner in Big 10. If Washington were to lose I'd have no problem with debating Ohio St v Colorado for #4

great point here

Exactly! I am on board with the BIG champion getting in.

OSU and Mich (especially) should not be rewarded for sitting home this weekend. OSU has just one loss so I can see that, I just cannot support Mich (even though they are a great team).

Pretty dominating performance by Western Michigan. Obviously they are not going to get in. I think they will make a pretty good fade in their bowl game. Just going to be hard for them to get up for some two loss also ran team from another conference in the Cotton Bowl when they should be in the Playoffs competing for a mythical championship. I expect their bowl will be their worst effort of the year. And since they are not making the playoffs, the Fleck stuff will be even worse with big $ getting thrown at him left and right. just too much of a distraction and he probably won't even be on the sideline for the Cotton Bowl.

Still, almost doubled up Ohio in yards tonight in a championship game with the officials nailing them for 10 penalties for 85 yards and Ohio 2 for 16. Good teams play big games and lose when they get screwed by the officials. Great teams win anyways (sometimes .. sometimes being great isn't enough).

So happy for that club and those kids.

Oh ... almost forgot .. the greatest regular season team in the history of the MAC conference is not going to make the playoffs but a team that couldn't even make their championship game is. Haha.

2-0 Vs the little10. Dominated that conference.

Pretty dominating performance by Western Michigan. Obviously they are not going to get in. I think they will make a pretty good fade in their bowl game. Just going to be hard for them to get up for some two loss also ran team from another conference in the Cotton Bowl when they should be in the Playoffs competing for a mythical championship. I expect their bowl will be their worst effort of the year. And since they are not making the playoffs, the Fleck stuff will be even worse with big $ getting thrown at him left and right. just too much of a distraction and he probably won't even be on the sideline for the Cotton Bowl.

Still, almost doubled up Ohio in yards tonight in a championship game with the officials nailing them for 10 penalties for 85 yards and Ohio 2 for 16. Good teams play big games and lose when they get screwed by the officials. Great teams win anyways (sometimes .. sometimes being great isn't enough).

Oh ... almost forgot .. the greatest regular season team in the history of the MAC conference is not going to make the playoffs but a team that couldn't even make their championship game is. Haha.

Fleck was asked after the game if he will coach in bowl game....long pause then said I have not made any decisions yet. Row the boat out of town. Would think that would kill them in bowl game if he's gone. Worst case for them probably a PSU team who actually will care to be in a game of like that where others will go through the motions. Happy for Western too, a lot of local kids on that roster.

Its a fair point but i think Wisconsin is done because they did in fact lose to both OSU and Michigan where PSU beat one so they have a better chance to get in. Of course all this seems to be moot as Washington is winning, the committee is in love with OSU, and Clemson should handle Hokies tomorrow night.

My bigger beef is with Washington. You play the teams you play out of conference of course u will have less losses then a team like Wisconsin or Penn St who played the likes of LSU, Temple and Pitt collectively. Rutgers, Portland State, and Idaho...I can't live that down especially when their one loss was a beat down at home to a 3 loss team and their conference is a shade above the Big12.

I do think your argument of what a team was ranked when Wiscy beat them is horrible. Polls should not even come out until October. The committee is the only poll that matters anymore and that is not released until what, November 1? Who cares that idiots in the media once ranked MSU based on last year #7. Nobody should get credit for beating that team or an LSU team that has 4 losses but was prematurely ranked in top 5 or whatever. People thought ND would be good so Sparty beat them and got ranked nicely. Pre season and early season polls are absolutely stupid and make no sense. And all it does is put us in the position we are in right now with Wisconsin and Penn St. They were ranked or not ranked at all preseason so they had to work there way up while teams like OSU and Clemson have sat on their ranking all year. I won't cry if Wisconsin got in over Michigan but it should not be because they beat #7 Nebraska, #8 Sparty etc at the time who had no business being ranked ever with the benefit of hindsight.

Damn, you and I have very different takes on Dominating performances.

Yeah you win by less than a TD vs. a fringe top 100 team and you shouldn't be an auto lock for a NY bowl.

Navy w/ a big win today should pass them.

With that being said I think Temple's run defense should keep this one close...

With WM win and Army on deck I'm looking at the Owls.

Oh, and Washington's performance last night was pathetic. Michigan should pass them.

OSU didn't do enough to make the conf champ game but Wisky did? Even though OSU beat Wisky at camp randall and has a better record within the conference including beating the team that Wisky couldn't beat?

This is why the conf champ stuff makes no sense.

That same fringe team faired better against the preseason favorite (good job subjective crowd) to win the SEC East.

[TABLE="class: mod-data, width: 355"]
<tbody>[TR="class: header"]
[TH="align: left"]Matchup[/TH]
[TH="align: right"]
i
[/TH]
i
[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="class: highlight"]
[TD="align: left"]1st Downs[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: indent"]
[TD="align: left"]3rd down efficiency[/TD]
[TD]4-15[/TD]
[TD]5-12[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]4th down efficiency[/TD]
[TD]1-1[/TD]
[TD]0-0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Total Yards[/TD]
[TD]404[/TD]
[TD]251[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Passing[/TD]
[TD]290[/TD]
[TD]214[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Comp-Att[/TD]
[TD]19-31[/TD]
[TD]14-31[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Yards per pass[/TD]
[TD]9.4[/TD]
[TD]6.9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Interceptions thrown[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Rushing[/TD]
[TD]114[/TD]
[TD]37[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Rushing Attempts[/TD]
[TD]44[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Yards per rush[/TD]
[TD]2.6[/TD]
[TD]1.7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Penalties[/TD]
[TD]10-76[/TD]
[TD]2-16[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Turnovers[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Fumbles lost[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="align: left"]Possession[/TD]
[TD]37:52[/TD]
[TD]22:08

[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

^ Pretty dominating.

Here is Tennessee boxscore.

<thead style="box-sizing: border-box;">[TR="class: header"]
i
[/TH]
i
[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead><tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">[TR="class: highlight"]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]23[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]6-20[/TD]
[TD]7-14[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]1-2[/TD]
[TD]0-0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]318[/TD]
[TD]404[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]230[/TD]
[TD]203[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]23-46[/TD]
[TD]19-27[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]5.0[/TD]
[TD]7.5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]88[/TD]
[TD]201[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]30[/TD]
[TD]42[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]2.9[/TD]
[TD]4.8[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]5-30[/TD]
[TD]9-94[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]30:24[/TD]
[TD]29:36[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Here is Western Boxscore against NW

i
[/TH]
i
[/TH]
[/TR]
[TD]27[/TD]
[TD]15[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]7-17[/TD]
[TD]4-10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]4-4[/TD]
[TD]2-3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]416[/TD]
[TD]319[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]218[/TD]
[TD]196[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]26-36[/TD]
[TD]15-22[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]6.1[/TD]
[TD]8.9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]198[/TD]
[TD]123[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]48[/TD]
[TD]31[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]4.1[/TD]
[TD]4.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]3-30[/TD]
[TD]2-20[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]39:04[/TD]
[TD]20:56[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Here is Ohio State box vs NW

i
[/TH]
i
[/TH]
[/TR]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]23[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]8-16[/TD]
[TD]10-17[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]2-2[/TD]
[TD]0-0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]406[/TD]
[TD]431[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]258[/TD]
[TD]223[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]23-44[/TD]
[TD]21-32[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]5.9[/TD]
[TD]7.0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]148[/TD]
[TD]208[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]29[/TD]
[TD]41[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]5.1[/TD]
[TD]5.1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]2-20[/TD]
[TD]2-10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]27:20[/TD]
[TD]32:40[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

2.6 per rush isn't dominating. Semantics I guess.

The one area (besides penalties) they didn't really dominate was in pass protection. Quite a few sacks which lowered that rushing number.

I did put the word "pretty" in front.

Bogan was 26 for 78. 3.0 ypc. The run game has struggled against any Mac defense with a pulse. Jmo.

Little 10 lol. So bitter.

OSU didn't do enough to make the conf champ game but Wisky did? Even though OSU beat Wisky at camp randall and has a better record within the conference including beating the team that Wisky couldn't beat?

This is why the conf champ stuff makes no sense.

You do know the functionality of an entire regular season, don't you? Conference Championahips make perfect sense. You survive your division and you get in. Pretty simple actually.

You do know the functionality of an entire regular season, don't you? Conference Championahips make perfect sense. You survive your division and you get in. Pretty simple actually.

Right, the entire regular season in which wisky lost more conference games than other teams in the conference (and lost to the 2 best squads) yet somehow 'did what was necessary' to make it to the champ game.

Maybe scrap the division stuff? Which will be awesome because then we can just get a sequel to games that have already been played, lol.

I also find it amazing that the big 10 was somehow able to determine a conference winner for all of these years without a championship game...and now this farce of a champ game is the only thing that matters.

Games don't matter. Just take the four teams that should be the best whether they accomplished anything or not.

I think we should just skip over the season. We should have just had Florida state and Alabama play for the title. Cut down on concussions, kids can go to class more ...

Back