CFB Rankings Week #4

If Ohio State played Penn State today, what would the line be? At the very least 7, right? Ohio State is the better football team and that's why they should be in, the fact that they lost a coinflip on a blocked field goal in a road night game doesn't really shift that imo.

I agree GPS western is being majorly shafted. It's Unreal they are only 17.

I think the committee has learned from last year though. Bama beat sparty 40-0. Iowa went to the rose. The best team in the big ten wasnt in the cfp. They don't want a repeat. They are focused on the 4 best teams and it should be that way. Jmo.

I hear the winner of your conference should be in all the time. That's fine, but what do you do when you are in a crap division like the big ten West and have lost to two teams from the East side? Or you have a team like Psu who got beat by 39 points by a team in the East?

They aren't looking at a what have you done lately way. The whole body is what they are looking at. I don't have a problem with that. I think the top 4 is correct right now and have no problem if it stays status quo.

I get the "best" 4 should be in, but which teams would that be besides Bama? It's all subjective and ridiculous. The committee shouldn't be worried about optics because of Sparty last year. That's ridiculous and why play the games then.

Michigan beat PSU when they were down to shitty walk-ons on both sides of ball and Harbaugh wisely ran up that score late since everyone keeps dwelling on that score.

Since PSU has won 8 straight and is a completely different team and to say Michigan or tOSU would throttle them is nonsense. Michigan just lost to Iowa and PSU had no problem with them. OSU barely escaped Sparty and PSU again no problem.

I'm in no way saying PSU is the next coming and should without question be in top 4. But to say that Michigan should be in ahead of PSU should they win the B1G is insane in my opinion.

If the committee pulls this shit this year, then why even play games next year. Let them lick their top 4 teams and that's that. Because that is essentially what they've done since week 7 or 8 anyway.

I hope PSU wins and puts the screws to this committee being run by that fat fuck Alvarez.

If Ohio State played Penn State today, what would the line be? At the very least 7, right? Ohio State is the better football team and that's why they should be in, the fact that they lost a coinflip on a blocked field goal in a road night game doesn't really shift that imo.

So why play the fucking game then? OSU is better, no one disputes that, but seriously why play the game? If the results don't matter, why do it. What happens is PSU beats Sconnie by 14 this week (won't happen)? Then you'd have PSU beating OSU head to head, PSU blowing doors off of Sparty which was a 2pt conversion from beating OSU, and PSU beating a Wisconsin team that took OSU to overtime. So where the fuck is the logic? Oh I get it, let's lay our heads on that Oklahoma win. The team no one gives a fuck about and isn't even in the conversation. I just don't get it.

Every fucking week everyone in this thread tries to pick winners and we get fucked on our eye tests. And our eye tests are fucking better than Condy Rice. But she will have a say in which football team is better based on eye test and not games played? It's fucking ludicrous.

Michigan had an all American corner back out that game with 2 other defensive starters. I mean we can go all day. It is flawed.

And with that logic fuck OSU and put Michigan in since anyone watching that game knows OSU luckboxed it's way to that win and it was basically a coin flip. Or also, fuckit put Sconnie in since OSU coin flipped that one as well.

Michigan had an all American corner back out that game with 2 other defensive starters. I mean we can go all day. It is flawed.

Sure we can and it's majorly flawed. Though, I doubt Michigan's reserves at the time were walk-ons....doesn't fuckin matter this system is stupid. This whole playoff is dumb as fuck. Go back to bowl games and an AP #1 which no one gave a fuck about.

Hocutt basically said Psu and Ohio state aren't even on the same plane.

Anyone think Sandusky deal a factor?

Hocutt basically said Psu and Ohio state aren't even on the same plane.

Anyone think Sandusky deal a factor?

He's going to have a hard time explaining that if PSU wins B1G.

It's possible but I don't think it matters much. Kind of old news. Probably should come into factoring a bit, but doubt it.

What does the line have to do with anything?????

Special teams are part of the game, it wasn't like they lost like okie state did on a play that shouldn't been allowed n it was a Hail Mary.
if Ohio state is "better". I just say scoreboard.

Let me tell you what I'm against. And it happened in 2011.....you shouldn't be able to sit your fat ass at home and get in the playoff at the expense of teams playing in Conf ship games...
Get rid of east/west divisions if you want, but what we have now has to be acknowledged. How can you sit at home and get in?

Let me tell you what I'm against. And it happened in 2011.....you shouldn't be able to sit your fat ass at home and get in the playoff at the expense of teams playing in Conf ship games...
Get rid of east/west divisions if you want, but what we have now has to be acknowledged. How can you sit at home and get in?

I think this situation is worse because we're talking about a non-conf champ getting in instead of the conf champ that won H2H, though they do have that 2 in the L column. In 2011, Alabama got in at the expense of OK St, not LSU. This will be the third time a non-conf champ gets in since 1997. LSU played the other two right?

What is the first criteria in the "Selection Committee Protocols"?

The committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwisecomparable teams by considering:
* Conference championships won,
* Strength of schedule,
* Head-to-head competition,
* Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
* Other relevant factors such as key injuries that may have affected a team’s performance duringthe season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

http://d30ratpzqzalg7.cloudfront.ne...Protocol.pdf?tV3FOZ68If3qops3X7XJQFmkEd00PiAY

I think this situation is worse because we're talking about a non-conf champ getting in instead of the conf champ that won H2H, though they do have that 2 in the L column. In 2011, Alabama got in at the expense of OK St, not LSU. This will be the third time a non-conf champ gets in since 1997. LSU played the other two right?

Don't forget about Nebraska in 2001 got blown out by Colorado final regular season game. Buffs won the Big XII North and ultimately played Oregon in the Fiesta that year I think. Cornhuskers didn't play in their title game then got embarrassed by the U in the Rose/BCS Title game.

So previously it was '03 Oklahoma who lost to K ST in the Big XII title, '01 Nebraska and '11 Alabama up until now.

All moot anyways probably. Bama smokes everyone. No dominant teams including bama, but no one close to bama.

Great points all around, figured id chime in with a few of my own.

Future lines mean zero on teams who should be in, I don't care what anyone says about what Vegas would do, who gives a shit. Michigan at Iowa Ohio State at MSU Ohio State at PSU were 20 plus point favorites, how did they play out. Louisville has been -35 it seemed every week since Florida St how does that work out? Herbstreit said Louisville was only team that could give Bama trouble about 3 weeks ago. Then Houston and Kentucky beat Louisville.

WTF has Ohio St done to deserve such unrivaled (outside of Bama) treatment. They beat Michigan in 2OT at home thanks to Speight playing Santa, Northwestern by a few at home, Sparty by 1 on the road as Dicktonio went for two, lost at Penn State (a team in the convo), won in OT at Wisconsin (another team everyone disrespecting). They blew out Oklahoma at Oklahoma, the Big 12 is a joke, if you set your eyes on football this year you know this. But I will give them a good win for that I guess. Two weeks of throttling Maryland (who didn't) and Nebraska (who stinks) back to back was like the most amazing thing the committee has ever seen and locked them down for the playoff. Not even saying they should not get in as we don't know how this weekend plays out, but give me a freakin break on how great this team is in eyes of Kirby's crew.

Who the hell did Washington play out of conference? Rutgers, Portland State, and Idaho. GTFOH. That coupled with getting your ass kicked AT HOME to 3 loss USC (save me the Herbie USC is 3rd best team in America rant). They pounded Wazzou and Stanford, great. They are good, but I have more reasons they should be out if all things equal then in.

I've said weeks ago and now its close, but if Wisconsin wins Big 10 ship they should not be in over Ohio St. The reason to me is simple, they lost AT HOME to them so I cannot argue them in over OSU. If Penn State wins Big 10 ship how the hell are they not in over Ohio State? You beat OSU, you won the division they are in and the conference???Since the return of the 3-4 linebackers they lost vs Pitt and then Michigan the team is 8-0? Covered every game by an average of 16 points or something stupid. Pounded Iowa (who pounded Nebraska and beat Michigan) pounded Sparty (lost by 1 to OSU, Dicktonio), beat IU on the road by more than Michigan at home etc etc. For Kirby to say they ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE is the most laughable thing I have ever heard. It's pandering for the inevitable and HUNT you are right on "cute story, Mark Emmert called, Jerry Sandusky was a thing, it aint happening under any circumstance!" Personally, I think their o line might cost them this week with 3 tackles out and it finally gets them vs a really good D but I'm not stepping in front of their $$ train to find out.

My beloved Michigan, what can I say? We are put at 5 seems like its a sacrificial lamb to either a. be overtaken by one of two behind us b. not get in because Washington wins after Kirby said the gap is razor thin. Really, nothing like a Washington win then to increase the gap. We beat Colorado, Penn State, and Wisconsin all by 7 or more, all teams in top 10 today. We lost in 2OT AT OSU. We lost at Iowa by a fg at end of game. We don't get in, I get it. OSU should be in over us of course. We don't get in over Washington, to me thats a joke and we mine as well never schedule any substance (or anyone else for that matter) in non conference. We lost two of our last 3 so I see not being in. But if Wiscy wins we beat Wiscy. If Penn State wins we beat Penn State. Does Washington have our record with our schedule? Doubtful. Their championship opponent was our non conference game. Their big non conference game was a team we beat 79-0 on the road.

Lets say Bama, Clemson, Washington, Wiscy win this week...1. Bama 2. Clemson 3. Ohio State 4 Michigan 5 Washington 6 Wisconsin
Lets say Bama, Clemson, Washington, PSU win this week......1 Bama 2. Clemson 3. PSU 4. OSU 5 Michigan 6 Washington

I know nothing, you know nothing, but I do know I will be rooting for Colorado, Va Tech, and Wisconsin this week. Figuring I need two to win for Michigan to playoff.

I was too easy on Clemson but I guess they in by default. NC St makes a chip fg Clemson is counting crows with everyone's doll Louisville. Giving them a pass though if they win compared to others since they played a team out of conference and were there last year and could have beat Bama. Loss to hokies would not shock me though, would be quite funny.

What other 2?

I guess some could see it as worse and I may agree with you.....just seems odd that the two teams playing for the BiG are the two teams that aren't likely to get in.....just bizarre

Read an article about how Navy "jeopardizes" the bowl system if they win out

I was too easy on Clemson but I guess they in by default. NC St makes a chip fg Clemson is counting crows with everyone's doll Louisville. Giving them a pass though if they win compared to others since they played a team out of conference and were there last year and could have beat Bama. Loss to hokies would not shock me though, would be quite funny.

It is also amusing that the "experts" refer to PSU loss to Pitt as a reason to not get in, but Clemson losing to Pitt at home is okay. Do away with this stupid playoff or make it six teams where only conference champs get in.

It is also amusing that the "experts" refer to PSU loss to Pitt as a reason to not get in, but Clemson losing to Pitt at home is okay. Do away with this stupid playoff or make it six teams where only conference champs get in.
Yes man totally ageee.. shit I don't think I ever heard anyone talk about Clemson losing to Pitt in last few weeks. Also, no one mentions the Pitt loss for PSU looks a lot better with Pitt winning at Clemson...

Great points all around, figured id chime in with a few of my own.

Future lines mean zero on teams who should be in, I don't care what anyone says about what Vegas would do, who gives a shit. Michigan at Iowa Ohio State at MSU Ohio State at PSU were 20 plus point favorites, how did they play out. Louisville has been -35 it seemed every week since Florida St how does that work out? Herbstreit said Louisville was only team that could give Bama trouble about 3 weeks ago. Then Houston and Kentucky beat Louisville.

WTF has Ohio St done to deserve such unrivaled (outside of Bama) treatment. They beat Michigan in 2OT at home thanks to Speight playing Santa, Northwestern by a few at home, Sparty by 1 on the road as Dicktonio went for two, lost at Penn State (a team in the convo), won in OT at Wisconsin (another team everyone disrespecting). They blew out Oklahoma at Oklahoma, the Big 12 is a joke, if you set your eyes on football this year you know this. But I will give them a good win for that I guess. Two weeks of throttling Maryland (who didn't) and Nebraska (who stinks) back to back was like the most amazing thing the committee has ever seen and locked them down for the playoff. Not even saying they should not get in as we don't know how this weekend plays out, but give me a freakin break on how great this team is in eyes of Kirby's crew.

Agree with everything u said.
my question is if there we no preseason rankings, would Ohio state really be a unanimous pick like they are saying now... they haven't impressed this year to me..

Agree with everything u said.
my question is if there we no preseason rankings, would Ohio state really be a unanimous pick like they are saying now... they haven't impressed this year to me..[/QUOTE]

Sure they would because they are Ohio State and have the Urban Meyer factor. They only have one loss and that in itself is impressive, but they haven't impressed other than that much at all. The media keeps pushing this Oklahoma game as the reason why they should get in. But the same media will not give Oklahoma a chance at the playoff. Even have them behind Sconnie and PSU. It doesn't make any sense.

The committee can claim they want the best teams in all they want. It's bullshit. They want what will make the most money. And they'll have a much easier time selling Saban vs Urban. Rather than selling a media talking about all the past transgressions at PSU. And if Wisky wins they can fall back on what they backed away from for weeks and that's head to head. Then you'll see Michigan get in. Clemson gonna knock the shit out of OSU anyway, if it falls to this top 4.

If they win conference championship the bowls will have to wait an additional 6 or 7 days because of the Army Navy game.
they get auto bid to cotton bowl too? which plays with commitments from teams?

Yes man totally ageee.. shit I don't think I ever heard anyone talk about Clemson losing to Pitt in last few weeks. Also, no one mentions the Pitt loss for PSU looks a lot better with Pitt winning at Clemson...

It should have looked good before that, but no one was paying attention, least of all the oddsmakers who repeatedly made Pitt's totals 3 or 4 TDs too low. Pitt has a top-10 offense that can score on anyone. They're just 14 points away from being 11-1 and playing Clemson again for a playoff spot.

The one loss by more than a TD (by 19 to Miami) was in a huge letdown spot off the 39-36 Thursday night home loss to VPI.

But the double standards speak volumes.

they get auto bid to cotton bowl too? which plays with commitments from teams?

Cotton Bowl has two at-large bids this year. One of the spots will go to highest ranking team outside the power conferences. Which will be Western Michigan or Navy. If WM wins this week and Navy loses it won't matter, but should they both win the committee will have to (should) wait until Army-Navy game on the 11th (a week before bowls start).

It should have looked good before that, but no one was paying attention, least of all the oddsmakers who repeatedly made Pitt's totals 3 or 4 TDs too low. Pitt has a top-10 offense that can score on anyone. They're just 14 points away from being 11-1 and playing Clemson again for a playoff spot.

The one loss by more than a TD (by 19 to Miami) was in a huge letdown spot off the 39-36 Thursday night home loss to VPI.

But the double standards speak volumes.

Agree. Pitt would be top 10 team with a defense.

The double standards are hilarious aren't they. These cocksmokers get on tv with straight faces and just ignore the hypocrisy of just about every statement coming out of their mouths. Out of those top 4 teams the only team that unequivocally belongs there is Bama. There are loads of arguments against and for the remainder of the ranked teams. And if I have to listen to Herbie wack it to Darnold and USC another day I'm going to puke.

Agree. Pitt would be top 10 team with a defense.

The double standards are hilarious aren't they. These cocksmokers get on tv with straight faces and just ignore the hypocrisy of just about every statement coming out of their mouths. Out of those top 4 teams the only team that unequivocally belongs there is Bama. There are loads of arguments against and for the remainder of the ranked teams. And if I have to listen to Herbie wack it to Darnold and USC another day I'm going to puke.

Herbie has made himself out to be a complete homer and jackass in all of this. So has Todd Fuhrman, a guy I once respected on twitter who's similar love affair with Louisville was at epic levels each week. I have a kid so I don't get to watch as much football as I ever want to (which would be countless hours all week) but I have seen enough where I knew Louisville was not that good and USC is not deserving to be ranked higher than teams like Wiscy and PSU. Maybe they beat them head to head, who knows. But to even bring them into a conversation right now is hysterical. Then you have Herbie saying how OSU has numerous pros on their roster last year and this. So that makes them the best TEAM? He calls the PSU win vs OSU flukey weekly (even Galloway had enough) because of a blocked fg td. I caught the second half of that game but i know 4 things from it he must not and he announced the game...1. PSU dominated the LOS in that game with 6 or 7 sacks 2. OSU offense could not move the ball well outside of one big run 3. Special Teams are part of the game 4. OSU blocked a fg too (-3 points), psu dropped a punt return (+3points), PSU snapped ball out of end zone (+2points). So OSU had more "flukey" stuff happen in their favor. I'd say Sparty going for two and not getting it is "flukey" as they decided to pass after running the ball down their throats and could have done it in ot. I'd also call Speight fumbling a snap at the goal line flukey.

David Pollack is like a teen ager who got some air time. Guy is completely clueless about anything in regards to this and is the epitome of a dumb jock, complete SEC homer too. Finebaum would sleep with his nose squarely up Nick Saban's ass. Reece Davis used to be good, but wow he seems to agree with anything Herbie says and plays into the Kerby cult. That show is unbearable to watch but as long as Michigan has a chance i have to put myself into it. Sorry had to have my Espn rant.

Herbie has made himself out to be a complete homer and jackass in all of this. So has Todd Fuhrman, a guy I once respected on twitter who's similar love affair with Louisville was at epic levels each week. I have a kid so I don't get to watch as much football as I ever want to (which would be countless hours all week) but I have seen enough where I knew Louisville was not that good and USC is not deserving to be ranked higher than teams like Wiscy and PSU. Maybe they beat them head to head, who knows. But to even bring them into a conversation right now is hysterical. Then you have Herbie saying how OSU has numerous pros on their roster last year and this. So that makes them the best TEAM? He calls the PSU win vs OSU flukey weekly (even Galloway had enough) because of a blocked fg td. I caught the second half of that game but i know 4 things from it he must not and he announced the game...1. PSU dominated the LOS in that game with 6 or 7 sacks 2. OSU offense could not move the ball well outside of one big run 3. Special Teams are part of the game 4. OSU blocked a fg too (-3 points), psu dropped a punt return (+3points), PSU snapped ball out of end zone (+2points). So OSU had more "flukey" stuff happen in their favor. I'd say Sparty going for two and not getting it is "flukey" as they decided to pass after running the ball down their throats and could have done it in ot. I'd also call Speight fumbling a snap at the goal line flukey.

David Pollack is like a teen ager who got some air time. Guy is completely clueless about anything in regards to this and is the epitome of a dumb jock, complete SEC homer too. Finebaum would sleep with his nose squarely up Nick Saban's ass. Reece Davis used to be good, but wow he seems to agree with anything Herbie says and plays into the Kerby cult. That show is unbearable to watch but as long as Michigan has a chance i have to put myself into it. Sorry had to have my Espn rant.

Dude I have been flipping on herbie for weeks. He is a joke. Joey Galloway who also went to Ohio state and actually could play unlike herbie doesn't have a problem being objective. He made herbie stutter two was ago....

For any talking head to mention USC like they did is a joke.
replace the name USC with oregon state n no one would have said a word........

I'm not sure I agree on Pawl and Saban....his show is obv about the SEC, but Saban has pretty much set a CFB standard not seen in some time, if not ever.

I wish the cfb playoff committee was full of alpha dogs that don't give a fuck yet have a clue about the game n situations....
few n far between..
but I would be on that committee ladies u know that.

Special teams are a huge part of the game. For anyone who has played the game to say special team plays are fluky are flat out lying. Special teams are practiced and studied with intensity daily. They make or break games.

PSU was outgained all game with tOSU. They also lost the special teams battle if you consider all the mishaps PSU had in the game. Fact is tOSU had the ball with about 5min to go in that game and couldn't get it done. PSU made plays when it needed and OSU didn't.

What I'm rooting for is Okie St to beat up on Okie. Then all the OSU sos pundits won't have 3-1 vs top 10 argument. If PSU wins they along with OSU and UM will be 2-1 vs top 10 (unless PSU blows doors off of Sconnie and they drop out of top 10).

It's all bullshit because if head to head, conference titles and division titles don't really matter and it's purely about putting best teams in the playoff; then Michigan should be in over tOSU, PSU and Wisky. They are clearly the best team in B1G.

Special teams are a huge part of the game. For anyone who has played the game to say special team plays are fluky are flat out lying. Special teams are practiced and studied with intensity daily. They make or break games.

PSU was outgained all game with tOSU. They also lost the special teams battle if you consider all the mishaps PSU had in the game. Fact is tOSU had the ball with about 5min to go in that game and couldn't get it done. PSU made plays when it needed and OSU didn't.

What I'm rooting for is Okie St to beat up on Okie. Then all the OSU sos pundits won't have 3-1 vs top 10 argument. If PSU wins they along with OSU and UM will be 2-1 vs top 10 (unless PSU blows doors off of Sconnie and they drop out of top 10).

It's all bullshit because if head to head, conference titles and division titles don't really matter and it's purely about putting best teams in the playoff; then Michigan should be in over tOSU, PSU and Wisky. They are clearly the best team in B1G.
But homer herbie tried to say the PSU game was a fluke lol

Poor okie state, no one mentions the Hail Mary that shouldn't have happened. Again if okie state was Ohio state or notre dame or Alabama or Oklahoma that would be considered... not if u are okie state.
mental idiot booger McFarland tonight on tv argued I see their record in the paper with two losses is all that matters. Yeah he said that n gets paid

Special Teams sure do fucking count...
Ask UM vs Sparty last year and Bama vs Aubbie a few years back...

Will the BiG really leave their conference winner out?!

Loved watching the playoff show a couple weeks ago live from MSG and Herbie telling everyone that Louisville deserved to be top 4 and Galloway owning him then Ville losing by 30 two nights later.

I'm not sure I agree on Pawl and Saban....his show is obv about the SEC, but Saban has pretty much set a CFB standard not seen in some time, if not ever.

I like Finebaum as I think he gets it big picture. I think he is a decent dude and one who actually agrees with me on things I won't even bring up on here again that is off topic. He is not a fool. But when it comes down to it he will always side that SEC is untouchable. Bama deserves love they have gotten, I think they have had better teams but we'll see.

Loved watching the playoff show a couple weeks ago live from MSG and Herbie telling everyone that Louisville deserved to be top 4 and Galloway owning him then Ville losing by 30 two nights later.

And the great part of Herbie job, he doesn't have to bring it up the following week and surely he did not. I am shocked he never brought up Oklahoma into the discussion. I would feel they are next on his list if they win this weekend. That way he can pound the Ohio State narrative further.

Back