CFB Rankings Week #4

I just believe that if u can not win a division in a conference u don't deserve to be in the top 4.

Schedule teams that actually compete at the top of their conference. Illinois is a perennial cellar dweller who has routinely lost to power 5 schools and NW doesn't accomplish much on a yearly basis either.

What if the better teams refuse to schedule games with them for the chance they may lose? How about the NCAA just makes the schedules?

you.

WMU deserves the playoff bid but OSU doesn't. makes sense. got it.

I feel tOSU is a horrible example though because they aren't even playing in their conference championship game, let alone winning it. There should be zero justification if you aren't even in the title game ffs.

no not serious. let's put in western michigan cause they beat illinois. you sold me. LMAO.

listening to you guys cry your eyes out about this has actually become really funny.

How, or why am I crying? I'm not a fan of any of the above mentioned teams...I just like logic and common sense, neither of which does the playoff format as it's currently constructed follow. I also couldn't care less either way, but I will continue to point out the lunacy with which the playoff is being handled.

There are 4 spots and 5 "Power" conferences. Intrinsically, it's set up as a failure as one conference will be left out each year. What if all 5 conferences have an undefeated team? Where does the logic and common sense come into play then? That's a rhetorical question by the way, the obvious answer is that it doesn't.

the amount of money exceeds what these schools net by playing in the playoffs or a NY6 game? Not to mention all of the bonus contractual incentives that these coaches get for reaching post season milestones.

Oh, they'll want it all, those ADs are greedy. Coaches don't schedule games.

Hope Coach Mac sticks around, but my guess is a big school takes him if we have another good year next year.

I actually believe that he has the chance to create something special at CU.
I'm hopeful that he recognizes that and stays to see it through.

:shake:

True coaching legacies are created by taking a program to the top. That takes commitment and a true belief in your strategy to succeed.
If you truly believe in yourself and your ability , you will make the decision to stay and prove you are correct.It's not always about the cash, although it seems that way these days.
They get promoted to a higher level program , only to fail and have to take a step back. I believe he
will make the right decision.

True coaching legacies are created by taking a program to the top. That takes commitment and a true belief in your strategy to succeed.
If you truly believe in yourself and your ability , you will make the decision to stay and prove you are correct.It's not always about the cash, although it seems that way these days.
They get promoted to a higher level program , only to fail and have to take a step back. I believe he
will make the right decision.

I hope so, but he left SJSU to come here and he was doing great things there.

That's true but this is different . He is in a major conference now , and has proven he can have success.Now he can build on that.

What if the better teams refuse to schedule games with them for the chance they may lose? How about the NCAA just makes the schedules?

NCAA has limited power. Schools won a supreme court case when the NCAA tried to control all the TV contracts. The schools / conferences wouldn't allow NCAA to make their schedules, if it became a legal fight, bet NCAA would lose that one too.

In what world is San Jose st football and Colorado football on the same planet!?!?!?

Well, in this world they are. Both IA, both FBS right? Same thing. Just like Texas St and Florida St are on the same planet. That is part of this whole big problem.

Well, in this world they are. Both IA, both FBS right? Same thing. Just like Texas St and Florida St are on the same planet. That is part of this whole big problem.

SJSU started to see success when they let their defensive coordinator Greg Robinson go. He was a coach killer to
a number of programs. Just ask Rich Rod at Michigan.

In what world is San Jose st football and Colorado football on the same planet!?!?!?

We won more conference games this year than in the last 5 years combined. We were really good in the early nineties, went downhill as McCartney's recruits left/graduated/got kicked out with the amazing coaches of Neuheisel, Barnett, Hawkins and Embree. We have been at the bottom of our conference for years.

OK...
1. If Wash wins and goes to the CFP, who goes to the Rose Bowl? CU or USC?
2. If Wash wins and goes to the Rose Bowl, who goes to the Alamo Bowl? CU or USC?
3. If CU wins, do they go to the Rose Bowl?

OK...
1. If Wash wins and goes to the CFP, who goes to the Rose Bowl? CU or USC?
2. If Wash wins and goes to the Rose Bowl, who goes to the Alamo Bowl? CU or USC?
3. If CU wins, do they go to the Rose Bowl?

I'm on Wash. M/L for this one . I'm hoping Wash. gets in the playoffs and CU goes to the Rose Bowl. :cheers3:

This is awesome.
The B10 has made the playoff be nuts.
If Wisky wins it will be some shit....hell, Pedo wins....

I don't think OSU should be that high....but we are in for some shit.

Tough year

This is awesome.
The B10 has made the playoff be nuts.
If Wisky wins it will be some shit....hell, Pedo wins....

I don't think OSU should be that high....but we are in for some shit.

Tough year

Pedo beats Wisky and still cannot crack the top 4 , even after beating OSU.

So Conf champs mean much?
That's the thing we may see this playoff abolish... Weak sides, etc.

I think a lot of it has to do with perception. OSU beat some teams by huge margins, but looked soft vs PSU as well as Mich. at home.
Pickins are lean this year and the committee doesn't have a lot to choose from.

Hope Coach Mac sticks around, but my guess is a big school takes him if we have another good year next year.

You mean the other CU? I never thought about that, but if Saban retires and Dabo goes to Bama, why not bring Mike home to Clemson?

Two reasons why the committee is a joke

1. When Davis asked whether Hocutt was saying the Nittany Lions and Buckeyes are not close, Hocutt responded, “I’m saying that they’re not close in the eyes of the selection committee.”

2. 12. Florida State 13. Louisville

It's like the game results don't matter

Come on man, they are not even close in terms of where they play, what type of program can be built, past success.

Stanford played and got crushed by one ranked team at the time of play all season (Washington) and then their last game played is at home to a Group of 5 team, Rice, and they move up 6 spots from 24 to 18 to end the regular season.

Virginia Tech was 1-1 against ranked teams at the time of play all season and plays their rival UVa to end the season and barely gets in the CFP top 25 and 23rd.

Stanford finishes 3rd in the PAC 10 North.

VT finishes 1st in the ACC Coastal.

IMO, neither division is better than the other right now and would call it a "push."

How in the world is Stanford ranked 18th AND 5 spots ahead of VT?

A: Barry Alvarez and the marriage of the B1G and PAC 10.

We should all hope Ohio St and Wash end up 3 and 4 - Clem and Bama are both gonna roll and we can make some $$

Two reasons why the committee is a joke

1. When Davis asked whether Hocutt was saying the Nittany Lions and Buckeyes are not close, Hocutt responded, “I’m saying that they’re not close in the eyes of the selection committee.”

2. 12. Florida State 13. Louisville

It's like the game results don't matter

I hear ya, but schools do get better and worse as the season progresses. This game was played back in the early stage of the season. It's pretty darn clear which direction L'Ville is going in right now.

Michigan and Ohio state would be favored over every team in the country on a neutral not named bama.

The only team that has a true gripe is W. Michigan. If any of these other teams had just won all their games, they're in. WMU did everything they could, to this point, but they have no chance of cracking the top 15, let alone the top 4. Teams with losses are left to the whims of the committee and can only hope for the best.

It's kind of ridiculous to think that Ohio St would be in no question had they lost to Rutgers instead of Penn St

I asked this question to a friend, "Does Penn St get in if they win the conference game?" Their response was they could not imagine them jumping if everyone wins. So Penn St would win the conference game and not get in and Ohio St would? After losing to Penn St?

I agree GPS western is being majorly shafted. It's Unreal they are only 17.

I think the committee has learned from last year though. Bama beat sparty 40-0. Iowa went to the rose. The best team in the big ten wasnt in the cfp. They don't want a repeat. They are focused on the 4 best teams and it should be that way. Jmo.

I hear the winner of your conference should be in all the time. That's fine, but what do you do when you are in a crap division like the big ten West and have lost to two teams from the East side? Or you have a team like Psu who got beat by 39 points by a team in the East?

They aren't looking at a what have you done lately way. The whole body is what they are looking at. I don't have a problem with that. I think the top 4 is correct right now and have no problem if it stays status quo.

The committee has made it abundantly clear that Bama and OSU are locked in. I understand the debate if Clemson/Washington/Penn State all win this week and I'm not trying to pick a side. Just pointing out that the committee has penciled those two teams in, when they say two weeks in a row that OSU and PSU are not comparable teams you don't need to hear much more barring a stunning PSU mega-blowout this week.

OSU not close to PSU + UW/Michigan razor thin suggests that Michigan is the next team in if UC or VT win this week, as long as the B1G title isn't extremely decisive.

I know the "precedent" of valuing conference titles two years ago is there, but the actual rankings and words Hocutt has uttered the last couple weeks suggest that the B1G champ is probably not getting in.

I personally think we're getting Bama-Clemson-OSU-Michigan because Colorado wins and the B1G is a pretty ugly game that doesn't do either team major favors.

The current top 5 really have clearly been the best football teams this season imo, if UW or Clemson lose, a really ass-whooping would have to happen for somebody other than Michigan to jump in.

Back