Big Ten Championship Discussion

Obviously have been plotting strategy for the TT plays on OSU per usual...but... I'm starting to really dig the Wisky TT under. I'll let the number move around a bit for a few days though..

Wisky isn't imaginative enough to take advantage of the OSU defensive issue(this is still a damn good defense -- they played an offense that was scoring on whoever last week in first half).. I feel like the max with Wisky is 17 in this game.

Wisconsin will be happy coming to the Rose Bowl to play Oregon. They just want to try and make this game respectable.

Any comments on Wisconsin’s monsterous rise to #8?
Well, it was interesting obviously.

Last week was a good win but for the SEC not to have the top 2 loss team was a huge chalk loss there ;)

Resume wise, I guess they deserve it though outta the two loss teams.

So no thought of padding OSU’s resume comes to mind? Hmmmm

I respect Georgia and understand the threat but if I do put in a ticket for LSU that cashes convincingly I will give full credit to the committee and the media’s obsession of curtailing the SEC bias so many see as fact.

National Champs BCS/CFB by conference
98 Florida St ACC 1
99 Tennessee SEC 1
00 Oklahoma BIG 12 1
01 Miami ACC? 2
02 Ohio State BIG 10 1
03 LSU SEC 2
04 USC PAC10 1
05 TEXAS BIG 12 2
06 Florida SEC 3
07 LSU SEC 4
08 Florida SEC 5
09 BAMA SEC 6
10 Auburn SEC 7
11 BAMA SEC 8 LSU rematch
12 BAMA SEC 9
13 FLORIDA STATE ACC 3
BCS Gone PLAYOFF Starts
14 OHIO STATE Big 10 2
15 BAMA SEC 10
16 CLEMSON ACC 4
17 BAMA SEC 11
18 CLEMSON ACC 5
SEC 11 By 5 teams
ACC 5 by 3 teams?
B12 2 By 2 teams
B10 2 by 1 team
Pac 10 1 by 1 team

I posted the above to show that the SEC dominance of 7 straight titles ultimately spearheaded the move to the 4 team playoff. I contend that the 8 team playoff is closer than most realize. I’m sure most are all in favor of it materializing. The teams that don’t play 3-4 legit top ten teams but win the games on their schedule will have a proving ground and not be eliminated by politics or a lone bad Saturday. My hope is this year gets the wheels in motion for the 8 team format. Eliminate the conference championship games and an extra game will not even be needed. The money and the conferences that get left out will make it a reality IMO. Sooner than later! My apologies for the thread hijack. The disrespect levied against LSU has boiled over and our players, coaches and most importantly team leaders are as motivated as humanly possible. This gone be good!

So no thought of padding OSU’s resume comes to mind? Hmmmm

They really do not need to pad it.

Look at most metrics and the B10 is rated slightly above the SEC -check (this was before the last two weeks fwiw but with the SEC bye week I cannot imagine this switched)

Ohio State OOC schedule > LSU - Check

You can go to the eye test as both teams look great, obviously. I would say OSU has a slight edge here and all PR's etc have them favored.

-----------------------

Now, as far as padding lets look at teams below Wisky...

Bama - best win is vs a 5 loss Aggy squad

PSU- best win is Michigan who Wisky beat as well

Florida - best win is Auburn

Oregon - best win is Wash or Isc

Notre Dame - best win is Usc or Navy

Wisconsin beat 14-16-18... nothing great but good wins in a good conference. They deserve to be on top of the 2 loss teams.

I posted the above to show that the SEC dominance of 7 straight titles ultimately spearheaded the move to the 4 team playoff. I contend that the 8 team playoff is closer than most realize. I’m sure most are all in favor of it materializing. The teams that don’t play 3-4 legit top ten teams but win the games on their schedule will have a proving ground and not be eliminated by politics or a lone bad Saturday. My hope is this year gets the wheels in motion for the 8 team format. Eliminate the conference championship games and an extra game will not even be needed. The money and the conferences that get left out will make it a reality IMO. Sooner than later! My apologies for the thread hijack. The disrespect levied against LSU has boiled over and our players, coaches and most importantly team leaders are as motivated as humanly possible. This gone be good!
What disrespect? They are undefeated with the Heisman winner and will be a 1 or 2 seed in playoffs. Everyone is impressed!

I like your ideas by the way but either the acc and sec go to 9 games or everyone else goes to 8 because the built in advantage is right there in a few different ways.

Also, no polls till at least mid october.

Reactions: RMR
Fair enough. Now do the same with the losses by the same teams. Factor in home vs away as the committee claims is a factor.

Fair enough. Now do the same with the losses by the same teams. Factor in home vs away as the committee claims is a factor.
You play to win the game.

Period.

You lose, you lose...

I will not feel bad that a conference with 5 good teams that only plays 8 games isn't getting their usual special treatment (usually we see some garbage Auburn team at 7-9 this week to help out the conference).

I will entertain ya though.

Florida played 3 good teams. They lost to 2 of them....and beat one.

Alabama played 2 good teams and one that is fringe. They lost two of them.

Wisconsin played 4 good teams, they won 3 and lost 1. (Illinois has been bad forever but will be in a bowl game).

There, good enough?

Another thing to consider - LSU is discredited for its Texas win ( a 5 loss team) yet Baylor gets a nice bump for beating this same Texas team that’s is arguably more beat up than it was early in the season. Lots of quirky adjustments by the committee the past two weeks in the eyes of many. Personally, I think Utah is being jobbed as a result. No personal bias just think Utah has played better ball and is being punished for an early season loss.

Another thing to consider - LSU is discredited for its Texas win ( a 5 loss team) yet Baylor gets a nice bump for beating this same Texas team that’s is arguably more beat up than it was early in the season. Lots of quirky adjustments by the committee the past two weeks in the eyes of many. Personally, I think Utah is being jobbed as a result. No personal bias just think Utah has played better ball and is being punished for an early season loss.
Utah should be in, they would beat OU on the field imo.

No one should get credit for a win vs Texas at all, they are hot garbage this year.

Good is in the eye of the beholder. I encourage more cross conference regular season games to give a wider gauge of what teams are truly good. As an LSU fan we get to play Florida every year, Georgia and Auburn play every year and Alabama gets the daunting task of a powerhouse Tennessee. I’ll readily admit the SEC scheduling needs to change. Hopefully, the 8 team field will force more quality out of conference opponents by all teams involved. Thanks for your time. Appreciate the logical and reasonable exchange. I tend to get the feeling we may both undervalue each other’s conferences just a bit. It does seem obvious that the rest of the conferences are trailing by a decent bit.

Again apology for the hijack. So Buckeyes shut down Wisky run and win this one by 20 plus rather easily? Is weather looking like it will be a factor in the game?

Wisky threw quite a bit in the elements vs minny. Have to think they know by now their normal game plan has no chance. More throwing equals more plays equals even more of a blowout and an easy over with Ohio scoring in the 40s.

Nebraska and ohio have fairly similar offenses but Ohio is way better and can finish drives. Get wisky in space and you can run up and down the field on em. (Nebraska had 500 yds). Just dont see how wisky stops them and if they play to win (gutless if they dont), it should get ugly.

Good is in the eye of the beholder. I encourage more cross conference regular season games to give a wider gauge of what teams are truly good. As an LSU fan we get to play Florida every year, Georgia and Auburn play every year and Alabama gets the daunting task of a powerhouse Tennessee. I’ll readily admit the SEC scheduling needs to change. Hopefully, the 8 team field will force more quality out of conference opponents by all teams involved. Thanks for your time. Appreciate the logical and reasonable exchange. I tend to get the feeling we may both undervalue each other’s conferences just a bit. It does seem obvious that the rest of the conferences are trailing by a decent bit.
I love good discussion. This is the worst the SEC has been in awhile but they still have 5 excellent teams. They have a lot of garbage too... as does the b10. Now...as an LSU fan..I get it wanting the #1 seed...as anyone would want. Facing Clemson in the semis is a daunting task. Very daunting...

Right after I hit Post reply I said oh boy neutral site game please don’t be indoors. They love the elements up there! Fingers crossed. Well shit. Ya got me. Lmao.

That’s an aspect I desire with the dreams of legit cross conference regular season marquee matchups. buckeyes vs Tigers late in the cold with snow/flurries and first few weeks on the bayou in 105/120 heat index. Not sure which would affect who more but it would be lovely to eliminate the rent a win games and I don’t even fork over the boatloads of cash to go to the games these days. The cost is enough, the tailgating is great but tiresome at my age but damn missing the half that matters to avoid 4-5 hours of traffic escaping that traffic trap of a parade of overly hammered jackasses and DUI checkpoints. The experience is second to none for a big game but I can see things so much better on tv.

Don’t know why but I think Wisky can hang. They know what they did in Cbus didn’t work for shit and they will change it up. Last weeks passing attack in Minny certainly should give them some confidence. They probably can’t stop OSU but if they score 24 or 27 can they cover? Michigan moved it at will last week and schemed well against Chase.

Same thought going into the last game the two played - Coan does nothing for me and he / those WRs don't scare anyone. OSU DBs don't need much help = plenty of people in the box and a neutralized Taylor.

OSU covers.

Last edited:
What disrespect? They are undefeated with the Heisman winner and will be a 1 or 2 seed in playoffs. Everyone is impressed!

I like your ideas by the way but either the acc and sec go to 9 games or everyone else goes to 8 because the built in advantage is right there in a few different ways.

Also, no polls till at least mid october.
I found an example of the disrespect from your buddy HUNT. I guess on here he is the worst when it comes to Big 10 blinders. As I shared above - one Big 10 team has won a title in the past 20+ years. The SEC has 5 times as many teams with at least one title in the past 15 or so years. Numerous times OSU has been built up as a world beater and choked when it mattered. We are yet to know if this year is any different. Also, above you dismissed a 5 loss Texas A&M team - losses to who? Clemson? LSU? Georgia? Bama? Auburn? The Big 10 and the SEC aren’t apples to apples and won’t be any time soon. That’s why more and more neutral people with a voice are coming out and expressing the sadness of OSU being gifted the #1 spot through poll and committee manipulation. We understand you’re dying to avoid Clemson after last year. Why hide from it?

I found an example of the disrespect from your buddy HUNT. I guess on here he is the worst when it comes to Big 10 blinders. As I shared above - one Big 10 team has won a title in the past 20+ years. The SEC has 5 times as many teams with at least one title in the past 15 or so years. Numerous times OSU has been built up as a world beater and choked when it mattered. We are yet to know if this year is any different. Also, above you dismissed a 5 loss Texas A&M team - losses to who? Clemson? LSU? Georgia? Bama? Auburn? The Big 10 and the SEC aren’t apples to apples and won’t be any time soon. That’s why more and more neutral people with a voice are coming out and expressing the sadness of OSU being gifted the #1 spot through poll and committee manipulation. We understand you’re dying to avoid Clemson after last year. Why hide from it?
At some point you have to beat teams.

Tamu was competitive in which of those games again? Yes a one score game in brutal weather vs Jorja and an 8 point game against a terrible offensive team... they got trucked in the others.

Apples to Apples? Wake up brother. The SEC West is Two Oklahoma's, A very good defensive team and some hot garbage. The East is two very good teams and bunch of tire fire after. These conferences are so similar it is ridiculous.

This is 2019, not other years. The SEC has won 2 of the last 6 ships...pretty good (albeit the same team as always--a dynasty). Each year is individual.

This OSU being 'gifted' the number one spot is freaking hilarious.

I am making a case for a school I hate... you are making it for a school that you root for. Blinders bro...

Lets look at facts and numbers...and go from there.

I think if Iowa, Minnesota, Penn St, Wisconsin, or Michigan had the same schedule as Auburn or aTm, they would all be 4+ loss teams. Give those B1G schedules to AU or aTm, and you have a couple of top 20 teams. That being said, I have no problem with Ohio St being #1 since it is about ranking them in order of "best." Some may disagree on who is best, but Ohio St has a great argument for being the best at this point. If it was more resume-based, I'd give LSU the nod. If I had to bet on a team to win the CFP, I'd put my money on Clemson though (already did).

I think if Iowa, Minnesota, Penn St, Wisconsin, or Michigan had the same schedule as Auburn or aTm, they would all be 4+ loss teams. Give those B1G schedules to AU or aTm, and you have a couple of top 20 teams. That being said, I have no problem with Ohio St being #1 since it is about ranking them in order of "best." Some may disagree on who is best, but Ohio St has a great argument for being the best at this point. If it was more resume-based, I'd give LSU the nod. If I had to bet on a team to win the CFP, I'd put my money on Clemson though (already did).
And I bet Auburn loses 3 games this year at least with Michigan/PSU schedule. The Aggies lose 4+

The SEC West is 2 Oklahoma’s? WOW

As a Bama fan I don’t think GPS “roots” for LSU but the way things have transpired and having a full understanding about how asinine the SEC West comment is I’m confident even if it hurts he’ll be pulling for LSU. It all comes down to respect. I guess playing more than one game in the regular season that truly matters produces that. I just pray our players are reading and seeing the same garbage the rest of the nation is witnessing. I’m banning myself from non SEC threads until this all plays out on the field. The only test that matters. GEAUX TIGERS! GEAUX SEC!

Is ohio st playing that pretty weak corner on the other side from okudah? think the normal starter was hurt.

Yes, Wade plays in the slot. Arnette and Okudah play on the outside.

Against Michigan with Wade out, they decided to move Arnette inside to the slot. They rotated Banks and Riep into Arnette's spot on the outside. This obviously caused problems for them and Michigan really took advantage of these changes early in the game last week.

Reactions: RMR
Wisconsin TT u20.5 -115 pretty sizeable
What are your feelings on the spread and total? Ohio State has to know they have to cover to secure the #1 spot and avoid Clemson right? This certainly feels like an auto play on Ohio State. Is the Over safer or is Wisconsin’s offense just that potent despite what’s at stake?

NEVERMIND - Read that as team total over initially. Makes total sense now. If anything it’s an even stronger play. Good Luck!!!

What are your feelings on the spread and total? Ohio State has to know they have to cover to secure the #1 spot and avoid Clemson right? This certainly feels like an auto play on Ohio State. Is the Over safer or is Wisconsin’s offense just that potent despite what’s at stake?

NEVERMIND - Read that has team total over initially. Makes total sense now. If anything it’s an even stronger play. Good Luck!!!
J Taylor has like an ave of 50 yards rushing/game against the buckeyes. Just sayin...

Back