2023 Portal Thread

Feels like a lot of these young kids simply looking for a raise now after a nice start.
Yeah, most of the guys who have portaled or are about to have only been here a year, so not a lot of attachment built up. They signed up to be coached by Saban, and now he's gone. Can't rely on the Saban discount in recruiting any more. Our whole NIL system (Alabama's) needs an overhaul because the way we set it up won't work well in the current environment

It's the wild West.

Ole Miss was tampering with 3 Michigan players.

They didn't get the two starters .

They got Amorion Walker (Louisiana kid).
Dalton Kincaid was approached by someone with Bama ties the summer before his final season with Utah. He was not in the portal. Forgive me if I don't shed a tear over the mass exodus of Bama players.

The portal is enough of a shit show. There should be repercussions for schools contacting players that aren't in the portal.

Dalton Kincaid was approached by someone with Bama ties the summer before his final season with Utah. He was not in the portal. Forgive me if I don't shed a tear over the mass exodus of Bama players.

The portal is enough of a shit show. There should be repercussions for schools contacting players that aren't in the portal.
Yup. What goes around comes around.

I don't know about Kincaid specifically, but I'm not naive enough to think Alabama hasn't used back channels to contact players. And it's not just schools, the players are also reaching out while not being in the portal. There are repercussions for this, but obviously the NCAA has been castrated and it is very difficult to prove when it's not official reps of a school doing the contact. I do think programs are getting more brazen with it now that they know there is very little down side to it. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't addressed within the SEC at the meetings this offseason. Nobody cares when it's a lower tier school, but when it happens to one of the cash cows, things will change. Because if the big boys benefitting from it now are smart, they know that it will eventually happen to them

I don't know about Kincaid specifically, but I'm not naive enough to think Alabama hasn't used back channels to contact players. And it's not just schools, the players are also reaching out while not being in the portal. There are repercussions for this, but obviously the NCAA has been castrated and it is very difficult to prove when it's not official reps of a school doing the contact. I do think programs are getting more brazen with it now that they know there is very little down side to it. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't addressed within the SEC at the meetings this offseason. Nobody cares when it's a lower tier school, but when it happens to one of the cash cows, things will change. Because if the big boys benefitting from it now are smart, they know that it will eventually happen to them
It was a booster according to what I heard.

Who are the cash cows? This been going on. TAMU can outspend LSU and Bama, maybe combined. Texas too.

The difference here is, Bama lost a generational coach. The shine is off. Back to fair/dirty play. And yall starting behind this time.

Who are the cash cows? This been going on. TAMU can outspend LSU and Bama, maybe combined. Texas too.

The difference here is, Bama lost a generational coach. The shine is off. Back to fair/dirty play. And yall starting behind this time.
Most of the large jump the SEC made in terms of revenue was during the Saban run. I'm not saying others weren't also, but the rising tide (see what I did there?) lifted all ships. Alabama games are consistently among the most watched games each season. I'm not saying who has the most cash, because it ain't us for sure.

We are behind a bit in terms how our NIL/collective works. We spend far more on non-revenue sports than we probably should, but that was what Byrne, and to an extent Saban, wanted. Nobody knows the true numbers, but I have heard we spend $5 million/year on football. Texas spends $15 million. We are not going to be able to make up that gap anytime soon, probably ever. What our collective is pretty good at, and probably ahead of a lot of schools, is teach the athletes how to build their brand. While that probably pays off for the player better in the long run, it's going to be really hard to convince 18 year olds, or one year rental players, to forgo upfront money. I'm not sure what direction we will go in

I think the trend going forward will be younger and younger coaches. Why should someone like Saban or Jay Wright at Villanova who walked away because of the NIL nonsense want to deal with this garbage.

I think the trend going forward will be younger and younger coaches. Why should someone like Saban or Jay Wright at Villanova who walked away because of the NIL nonsense want to deal with this garbage.
There's no doubt

Ernie H didn't just magically end up at Michigan either.

sounds like he had worked out an arrangement with Iowa awhile ago.
Apparently it's been an issue all season, and going home for the holidays was the last straw. Think his GF goes to Drake.

Yep. Wish these kids would just go ahead and rip the bandaid off. The slow trickle makes it worse. Though kind of weird a QB wouldn’t give this offensive staff a chance
Yeah, that's odd to me that any skill position player would not give this new staff a chance. Wild.

Rick Neuheisel said today on the radio that a day or two after the loss to Michigan, a number of players approached Saban about renegotiating their deals. No wonder the man quit when he did
I tend to believe this rumor.

There was a thread on one of the UM recruiting sites about this the other day, different source.

I think it was the same guy that said on January 1st that Saban was retiring (curious who this guy has as a source down there).

Yeah, that's odd to me that any skill position player would not give this new staff a chance. Wild.
We did just get a commit from a young QB that redshirted at Washington last season. Maybe we knew Sayin was leaving? Or there are some whispers that the staff preferred this other kid to Sayin. Who knows at this point? This 30 day window can't close fast enough

We did just get a commit from a young QB that redshirted at Washington last season. Maybe we knew Sayin was leaving? Or there are some whispers that the staff preferred this other kid to Sayin. Who knows at this point? This 30 day window can't close fast enough
Yeah, this 30 day window is brutal.

I'm not looking forward to ours coming up. Yes, many feel that with a transition to Sherrone that the losses will be minimal. But, this system is currently set up for these schools losing a big-time coach to be poached.

I tend to believe this rumor.

There was a thread on one of the UM recruiting sites about this the other day, different source.

I think it was the same guy that said on January 1st that Saban was retiring (curious who this guy has as a source down there).
I know Bond did ask for a "raise." His hat size increased multiple sizes after the game winner at AU. His move was 100% $ related, as was Dezz Ricks to aTm. The others were all probably more that they wanted to play for Saban, and they've had so many people in their ear over the last 10 days that they don't know what they want anymore. To his credit, DeBoer is apparently telling everyone to do what they think is best for them. He doesn't want anyone halfway committed, which is smart, but painful for those of us who have followed these players since they were HS juniors.

On Bond, he could have profited of off 4th and 31 for the rest of his life if he had stayed. I don't know what the attitude will be towards him will be once he is no longer playing football, but my guess is it won't be near as fond

Early enroller, right?

We're talking about a top 3 QB in this class and a top 25 player overall.

That's a huge wildcard to be hitting the market.
Yes, he was here for bowl practices. The top 3 players in the portal this cycle were all off our roster. There are whispers that Proctor isn't a done deal yet

Yeah, this 30 day window is brutal.

I'm not looking forward to ours coming up. Yes, many feel that with a transition to Sherrone that the losses will be minimal. But, this system is currently set up for these schools losing a big-time coach to be poached.
I just wish the schools that are getting poached had an opportunity to fight back. Like if you take a player from this window, your team's portal reopens. Texas, FSU and UGA must have 100 kids on scholarship right now

This truly was the last year of an era of CFB.

For many reasons.

I've been saying that for months as well.

We're in such a transition period of the sport. They basically are doing so much of this on the fly. The overall product will be hurt the next few years.

The quicker they disband the NCAA, the better. This is a mess. There needs to be some structure sooner rather than later.

Salary cap? Yup.

I find it funny that the base salary (we'll call this the Jim rule) will likely come into play sooner rather than later -- but people think that settled things down.

Yeah, it's cool that a bench warmer receives 30k a year to play football. I'm all for that. That still doesn't do anything about these schools tossing insane money at the big time players.

Yes, they need to somehow regulate all of this and have a cap of some sorts instituted.

The money is there.

You could give a 100 player roster an average of 100,000 each and that's 10 million. Using the 30-40k benchmark, this is very feasible. A cap of 15million for example gets everything done IMO and also takes away the Miami, Auyunem's and even this cycle OSU from buying 20+ million of players.

A bit of a ramble here but thoughts welcome ...

This truly was the last year of an era of CFB.

For many reasons.

I've been saying that for months as well.

We're in such a transition period of the sport. They basically are doing so much of this on the fly. The overall product will be hurt the next few years.

The quicker they disband the NCAA, the better. This is a mess. There needs to be some structure sooner rather than later.

Salary cap? Yup.

I find it funny that the base salary (we'll call this the Jim rule) will likely come into play sooner rather than later -- but people think that settled things down.

Yeah, it's cool that a bench warmer receives 30k a year to play football. I'm all for that. That still doesn't do anything about these schools tossing insane money at the big time players.

Yes, they need to somehow regulate all of this and have a cap of some sorts instituted.

The money is there.

You could give a 100 player roster an average of 100,000 each and that's 10 million. Using the 30-40k benchmark, this is very feasible. A cap of 15million for example gets everything done IMO and also takes away the Miami, Auyunem's and even this cycle OSU from buying 20+ million of players.

A bit of a ramble here but thoughts welcome ...
I don't follow it all that closely but surely Miami cannot be spending anywhere near the levels of A&M and most of the rest of the SEC and if they had that level of money wouldn't it be better served hiring an actual head coach.

Agree with BAR. I think watching 3 of the 4 CFP participants have their rosters poached from will force some action. Or maybe everyone will think "couldn't happen to us" until it does next year or the year after. The congressional hearings going on right now are worth following as well

I don't follow it all that closely but surely Miami cannot be spending anywhere near the levels of A&M and most of the rest of the SEC and if they had that level of money wouldn't it be better served hiring an actual head coach.
Miami spends A LOT of money....

There are so many recruits from HS the last 2-3 years that have ended up there solely due to that.

I tell ya what ...

They aren't going to Miami for:

-Coaching
-Big Crowds watching them play
-NFL development
-CFB Playoffs

The best part is when these kids inevitably transfer after 1-2 years.

I may be way off, but it sounds like to me that the best realistic outcome is for the players to be treated as employees of the schools. Then we can have a players union and a CBA that will make it an even playing field in most regards. Players can participate in revenue sharing and actual NIL activities, and the need for the collectives goes away, at least for football and basketball. The non-revenue sports may take a hit though

Miami spends A LOT of money....

There are so many recruits from HS the last 2-3 years that have ended up there solely due to that.

I tell ya what ...

They aren't going to Miami for:

-Coaching
-Big Crowds watching them play
-NFL development
-CFB Playoffs

The best part is when these kids inevitably transfer after 1-2 years.
No one ever committed to Miami for the crowds but the city does have appeal. Believe me I am not defending what Miami is offering in terms of coaching but it does have advantages over many programs.

I may be way off, but it sounds like to me that the best realistic outcome is for the players to be treated as employees of the schools. Then we can have a players union and a CBA that will make it an even playing field in most regards. Players can participate in revenue sharing and actual NIL activities, and the need for the collectives goes away, at least for football and basketball. The non-revenue sports may take a hit though
Yes

We will all continue to watch because we bet the games but the sport is just not as enjoyable with half of each roster transferring in and out each offseason.

I'm very curious where Sayin goes now.

The decision I'd assume will be quick since school is in progress.

I saw some Georgia fans saying they need a QB(this made me laugh BTW).

He has a connection with B.O.B. right? But, OSU just grabbed Air Noland in the same class.

LSU was the leader for Sayin before he chose Bama. I can't imagine they would upset Underwood though.

No one ever committed to Miami for the crowds but the city does have appeal. Believe me I am not defending what Miami is offering in terms of coaching but it does have advantages over many programs.
Yeah I'd think Miami has similar appeal to a bunch of guys as USC does. Especially if they are from a small town or up north where it snows 4 months a year

We will all continue to watch because we bet the games but the sport is just not as enjoyable with half of each roster transferring in and out each offseason.
No, it's not.

There is a reason I really enjoyed the last few years up here. That was one of the last truly built 'teams'. Yes, they added some portal guys but those were added differently. They didn't go out and throw money around. They found 'fits' to the program.

That's also why I'm not too frenetic about the upcoming changes. A part of CFB died recently. Hopefully in a decade things are all sorted out. I'll enjoy more big time matchups as we convert to super conferences, but the last 17 years of rule changes + free agency + NIL being used incorrectly have changed the sport drastically.

Is what it is.

On Bond, he could have profited of off 4th and 31 for the rest of his life if he had stayed. I don't know what the attitude will be towards him will be once he is no longer playing football, but my guess is it won't be near as fond

Ain't that the truth. Matt Davison is still using a catch from 1997 as the basis of his whole life.

I just wish the schools that are getting poached had an opportunity to fight back. Like if you take a player from this window, your team's portal reopens. Texas, FSU and UGA must have 100 kids on scholarship right now

We're using NIL for all our extra guys so they aren't on schollie

This is great by the way.

The 2024 season is make or break for Day.

I'm not just talking about a win over TCUN.

He needs to win it all. Period.

They spent the money.

No excuses.

I must of been asleep but this is the first I'm hearing of O'Brien being at Ohio State. I've always thought he sucked and if Day is gambling his future on this guy its a losing bet.

Man now you're getting into state employment and tax dollars paying for a bunch of students at state universities. Want to see something get ugly really quickly? People already come unglued that the highest paid state employees are football and basketball coaches.

So, if Sayin goes to OSU as I'm seeing CBs roll in now ...

Where does Air Noland go?

I can't keep up with all this.

Downs back to leaning OSU as well?

I even saw a Proctor prediction there a bit ago.

Alabama the new farm system for OSU? ;)

So, if Sayin goes to OSU as I'm seeing CBs roll in now ...

Where does Air Noland go?

I can't keep up with all this.

Downs back to leaning OSU as well?

I even saw a Proctor prediction there a bit ago.

Alabama the new farm system for OSU? ;)
We've already sent enough coaches and players to UGA and Texas that I'm expecting Kirby and Sark to announce their wives have changed their name to Mrs Terry, why not add FSU and Ohio St to the mix?

Back