2023 Portal Thread

Norvell figured why go to Bama when I can bring them to me?
At least he's not taking starters and potential difference makers like Kirby and Sark. Heavy rumors that Caleb Downs is about to jump in the portal with UGA the most likely destination. But I'm sure there's been no contact yet

Not to mention whoever AZ takes too, doubt they go down swinging w/o a big hire with the move
Absolutely. I get the sentiment that if a coach leaves, the player should too, but the way it's setup is insane

Harbaugh to pros, Kelly to Michigan, Norvell to LSU is a realistic chain of events.
Doubt Norvell moves now after the massive extension, not sure what the new buyout is and I know LSU could afford it if needed but that would be quite the turn

Doubt Norvell moves now after the massive extension, not sure what the new buyout is and I know LSU could afford it if needed but that would be quite the turn
Sure. And I have no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if Harbaugh leaves that they will elevate Sherrone Moore to head coach after he handled those duties well earlier this season. I'm just saying it's possible

Reactions: KJ
Harbaugh to pros, Kelly to Michigan, Norvell to LSU is a realistic chain of events.
75% sure that first even happens.
Why am I not more confident? Because Jimbo Harbaugh is an odd duck and can be unpredictable.
9 seasons at UM - the most he has been at one stop by a longshot.
Wins the Chip.
Now one would think he wants to get back to the SB where he lost to his brother on the last play of the game.

75% sure that first even happens.
Why am I not more confident? Because Jimbo Harbaugh is an odd duck and can be unpredictable.
9 seasons at UM - the most he has been at one stop by a longshot.
Wins the Chip.
Now one would think he wants to get back to the SB where he lost to his brother on the last play of the game.
Plus I imagine Michigan will be able to match whatever any NFL team will pay him. It all just depends on whether he wants to put up with all the other crap in college football

Here's what's truly wild here. Every team can now tamper and offer current Alabama players. But Alabama can only go after guys already in the portal or from Washington and Arizona. And if Harbaugh leaves, the dominoes that fall after that will be wild. We could have an open season for some schools until April with the 30 day window. Nice work NCAA
It's the wild west out there now. They have to get some things tightened up. There are already fans of many smaller schools losing interest, it's just a matter of time before every school will simply be a feeder school for about 10 schools.

Plus I imagine Michigan will be able to match whatever any NFL team will pay him. It all just depends on whether he wants to put up with all the other crap in college football
The Michigan money will be more.

All about certain provisions.

At end of the day, he promised 7 years. We're past that. The correct situation presents itself in the NIFFEL, he would and should go.

For some reason, we'll call it OSU echo chamber...

I was under the impression Downs was already heading to Columbus.

For some reason, we'll call it OSU echo chamber...

I was under the impression Downs was already heading to Columbus.
As of right now, he’s still at Alabama. There was a team meeting last night where KDB was able to talk more about the vision, plus I’m sure he was able to tell them that Kane Wommack was going to be DC. There are rumors that Karl Scott could come back, which would be huge, but I’m not sure he will without being DC. Tomorrow is last day to drop classes at Bama, not sure if that matters these days especially for a player of Downs’ caliber.

The Michigan money will be more.

All about certain provisions.

At end of the day, he promised 7 years. We're past that. The correct situation presents itself in the NIFFEL, he would and should go.
You think they’d elevate Moore if Harbaugh leaves? Or go after a current HC?

I've heard he did this last year too, and Ole Miss upped his NIL deal and convinced him to stay. Heard this time around Lane said see you later
He was the highest paid RB in college football last year. He asked for more and Ole Miss met his number. His mom then reneged on that deal and another deal, and Kiffin was done. He was a locker room cancer, and it was highly unlikely that Ole Miss was going to get ROI on a RB at $1 million or more. I'm almost certain that the move cost him at least $300k. Maybe more. It will be interesting to see how his camp handles not being the guy at Ohio State.

He was the highest paid RB in college football last year. He asked for more and Ole Miss met his number. His mom then reneged on that deal and another deal, and Kiffin was done. He was a locker room cancer, and it was highly unlikely that Ole Miss was going to get ROI on a RB at $1 million or more. I'm almost certain that the move cost him at least $300k. Maybe more. It will be interesting to see how his camp handles not being the guy at Ohio State.
That’s basically what I had heard

they can certainly match and then some, but this is not as much about money imo as it is legacy for JH. my opinion. who knows.

As of right now, he’s still at Alabama. There was a team meeting last night where KDB was able to talk more about the vision, plus I’m sure he was able to tell them that Kane Wommack was going to be DC. There are rumors that Karl Scott could come back, which would be huge, but I’m not sure he will without being DC. Tomorrow is last day to drop classes at Bama, not sure if that matters these days especially for a player of Downs’ caliber.
Lotta rumors have Karl Scott coming to LSU

You think they’d elevate Moore if Harbaugh leaves? Or go after a current HC?
Back to the B.K. discussion.

From a few today...

Not only is that a 0.00% chance but one guy mentioned he'd be willing to go into negative numbers on the chances.

As you diehards know @gps_3 @twinkie13

Whether it's...

1.) Recruiting
2.) Portal
3.) Transfers
4.) Coaching changes

95% percent of the time the local inside perspective is totally different from a national perspective.

Some guy down here started that too. Just don’t see it
Yeah, the feeling up here is that want BK out.

Another poor defense he gone, right?

He's not a fit culturally down there from my perspective.

I will say, somehow he's convinced a few recruits to go there to play school(I'm not diminishing the schooling there -- simply put the 4/5 stars go there for athletics) .

Lotta rumors have Karl Scott coming to LSU
Corey Raymond is pretty nice consolation lol. Sounds like Scott was a DC or not coming back to college. I like what I’ve heard so far about our DB coach hire. 2 head coaches on our defensive staff seems like a good thing

Some guy down here started that too. Just don’t see it
This is the problem these days.

All it takes is just one "nobody" to try and act like a "somebody" and throw clickbait out there on Twitter I mean X, or Reddit, or FB, or more likely any random Fanboy message board for School ABC, and you have rumors running amuck.

There are more amateur reporters pretending they know something (when they really know nothing) today than ever before and it grows by multiples every day.

For every one of the rumors they get correct, they get 5+ wrong.

Trust me - I am keeping count.

This is the problem these days.

All it takes is just one "nobody" to try and act like a "somebody" and throw clickbait out there on Twitter I mean X, or Reddit, or FB, or more likely any random Fanboy message board for School ABC, and you have rumors running amuck.

There are more amateur reporters pretending they know something (when they really know nothing) today than ever before and it grows by multiples every day.

For every one of the rumors they get correct, they get 5+ wrong.

Trust me - I am keeping count.
The Internet has ruined great rumors

Yeah, the feeling up here is that want BK out.

Another poor defense he gone, right?

He's not a fit culturally down there from my perspective.

I will say, somehow he's convinced a few recruits to go there to play school(I'm not diminishing the schooling there -- simply put the 4/5 stars go there for athletics) .
A million percent all around.
That’s the biggest thing with Kelly. He really doesn’t fit here. The plan was for him to be the CEO. He’s shown he can recruit.

The CEO plan looks wayyyy better on paper coaching staff wise now. Since inception. You gotta keep these LA/Southern connects. It’s too important, don’t overthink the shit.

Corey Raymond is pretty nice consolation lol. Sounds like Scott was a DC or not coming back to college. I like what I’ve heard so far about our DB coach hire. 2 head coaches on our defensive staff seems like a good thing
It is. Kinda wanted a little bit of a fresher start there. Corey is always debated these days amongst the LSU faithful…..

But put simply it’s a massive upgrade from what just left and goes more to my point of what posted above. Steeples was a HS coach not from LA…cmon BK. That’s not flying down here

A million percent all around.
That’s the biggest thing with Kelly. He really doesn’t fit here. The plan was for him to be the CEO. He’s shown he can recruit.

The CEO plan looks wayyyy better on paper coaching staff wise now. Since inception. You gotta keep these LA/Southern connects. It’s too important, don’t overthink the shit.
We all knew that the moment he was hired and pulled off that fake accent at the LSU basketball game right?

Kalen will likely experience much of the same in Tuscaloosa.

Nick a rare "Northerner" who worked down south, but then again he was born and raised in WVA which is basically the South culture-wise.

We all knew that the moment he was hired and pulled off that fake accent at the LSU basketball game right?

Kalen will likely experience much of the same in Tuscaloosa.

Nick a rare "Northerner" who worked down south, but then again he was born and raised in WVA which is basically the South culture-wise.
It could be jealousy. Likely blind hatred.

I really think Bama will be looking for a new HC sooner than later. Just my .2

It could be jealousy. Likely blind hatred.

I really think Bama will be looking for a new HC sooner than later. Just my .2
You may be right, but I think DeBoer is doing a really good job given the circumstances. It was always going to suck replacing Saban, but the rules in place now make it even harder. At least when he spoke at the bball game last night, it was with his actual voice lol

You may be right, but I think DeBoer is doing a really good job given the circumstances. It was always going to suck replacing Saban, but the rules in place now make it even harder. At least when he spoke at the bball game last night, it was with his actual voice lol
All things being equal, it’s probably the best hire that was available. I have my thoughts on where he was in the pecking order…

Like you said. Tough sledding either way.

All things being equal, it’s probably the best hire that was available. I have my thoughts on where he was in the pecking order…

Like you said. Tough sledding either way.
He was the #1 realistic candidate. Kirby and Sark were 1 and 2

As a coach, I think you are right. But as a recruiter remains to be seen.
Agree.
Getting Penix from IN out of the portal was a gift to Kalen.
We will see what he can do as a recruiter.
My instincts tell me he will do well.
He is very likable.

Agree.
Getting Penix from IN out of the portal was a gift to Kalen.
We will see what he can do as a recruiter.
My instincts tell me he will do well.
He is very likable.
Yes. Very important for him to start establishing ties in the area. Getting the South Alabama coach was big. He's a great Xs and Os guy (Saban called him to help gameplan against Ohio St in 2020 natty), plus he is well known in the Gulf Coast area where there's so much talent.

It's the wild West.

Ole Miss was tampering with 3 Michigan players.

They didn't get the two starters .

They got Amorion Walker (Louisiana kid).

Back