2023 Portal Thread

Is this a good get for Pitt? Don’t know much about him.

Former Alabama quarterback Eli Holstein, a 6'3 and 232-pound player, announced on Twitter that he would join the Panthers after spending one season and not appearing in any games as a true freshman with the Crimson Tide.

Is this a good get for Pitt? Don’t know much about him.

Former Alabama quarterback Eli Holstein, a 6'3 and 232-pound player, announced on Twitter that he would join the Panthers after spending one season and not appearing in any games as a true freshman with the Crimson Tide.
He was highly rated. No disrespect but yes it is. If anything, it’s a real push for what you have there now or coming in.

LA kid always wanted out of state.

The guy must be tremendous since Mario appears to have swooped in late and stolen him from Western Kentucky.

• Haha
Reactions: KJ
I don’t know where else to put this, but with Wingo and Smith going pro, BK got caught here pretty bad. It’s the worst D Line room in the SEC on paper easily. Extremely interesting going forward with no D Line coach hired. You’d think might be some fuckery coming…..possibly

Got a large bag. Miami needs receivers. Heard that may pick up, there was uncertainty with the qb position holding up some decisions.

I also think his projections for where he'd be selected in the 2024 Draft were not very close to he hoped and maybe expected.

JJ from UM just joined the fray in the Draft.

The QB room at the draft is getting deeper.

LSU took a Liberty WR. Highlights look good.

You have to think they poach second wave of portal on DL. And have some attrition. There is NO way they go into the season with this DL roster. Bo Davis hired and he brought Kevin Peoples.

Isaiah Bond from Bama to Texas.
I heard $3 million. He's a good player, but either I don't understand the market or Texas way overpaid. Also saw that he didn't return the call from DeBoer, so he must have had a foot out the door even before Saban retired. There are grumblings that our pass catchers are pretty frustrated with Milroe at QB

It is the system, not them.

They are just doing what is allowed per the system.

I don't blame them. I blame the system which allows for all of this nonsense.

One transfer, I understand. But multiple transfers for the same kid?

I think that's a problem.
Oh I get it

Was just referring to Maiava when it made zero sense for him to go to UGA where they already have an established starter, was like he learned that after he committed lol

At least he figured it out in 24 hours

I heard $3 million. He's a good player, but either I don't understand the market or Texas way overpaid. Also saw that he didn't return the call from DeBoer, so he must have had a foot out the door even before Saban retired. There are grumblings that our pass catchers are pretty frustrated with Milroe at QB
I can see the frustrations coaches have now trying to re-recruit players to stay.

I can see the frustrations coaches have now trying to re-recruit players to stay.
Can see where coaches will be more apt to jump ship in the future. CFB was always hard enough just due to recruiting but at least once you had you team for the season you didn't need to fire up hard recruiting til the next go round. Now that's become 365, going to take a special motor to not get burned out.

It's understandable that we'd have players leave. Many of them committed to play specifically for Saban. I get that. Who knows about the actual #s being thrown around, but if it's true, then it's what Saban was talking about when $3 million being a drop in the bucket for some programs, and being the entire NIL budget for others.

Can see where coaches will be more apt to jump ship in the future. CFB was always hard enough just due to recruiting but at least once you had you team for the season you didn't need to fire up hard recruiting til the next go round. Now that's become 365, going to take a special motor to not get burned out.
Yes college football has a serious sustainability problem. Need someone or someones to be the adults in the room and make decisions to save the sport, rather than just let everyone escalate the money grab for their own purposes. The money will eventually taper off and then what?

Yes college football has a serious sustainability problem. Need someone or someones to be the adults in the room and make decisions to save the sport, rather than just let everyone escalate the money grab for their own purposes. The money will eventually taper off and then what?
Will the money taper off? Its not just the players but some of these coaches are making an insane amount of money. Its one thing for Saban, Kirby and Harbaugh to make big money but when guys like Cristobal and Tucker are getting paid huge amounts something is off.

Will the money taper off? Its not just the players but some of these coaches are making an insane amount of money. Its one thing for Saban, Kirby and Harbaugh to make big money but when guys like Cristobal and Tucker are getting paid huge amounts something is off.
I think it will because the ROI will continue to go down. Saban retired. Harbaugh is thought to be off the the NFL. Kirby is on record as saying he doesn't plan on coaching into his 60s. I'd bet Dabo is getting close to retiring. It's turning into a 12 month of the year grind that guys just won't want to sacrifice everything else in their life for, especially with an alternative like the NFL. As the quality of coaching goes down, so will the product on the field. And as players continue to transfer because someone else will pay them more, boosters/collectives will eventually say "no thanks." I am not one of those doom and gloomers that think it is a definite that we go down this path, but the longer we go without intervening and fixing it, the more likely it is

3 million is a lot. I haven’t looked at the roster, but
I'd take the number with a grain of salt obviously. He was probably our best returning WR, and of course he caught the 4th and 31 to save the season, but it's not like we lost a Devonta Smith or Amari Cooper. That's why the number surprised me

I'd take the number with a grain of salt obviously. He was probably our best returning WR, and of course he caught the 4th and 31 to save the season, but it's not like we lost a Devonta Smith or Amari Cooper. That's why the number surprised me
I wish they’d go public with these. This shit has to be corralled sooner than later for the greater good of the game.

Jedd Fisch to UW.
And rumors were Dorian Singer was going to wind up at UW and reunite with him but he announced Utah this morning. Having Rising back has attracted some good WR's already. A kid out of UW has already committed as well. I'm drawing a blank on his name.

If that guy is a 3M receiver then we are totally doomed for the near future unless and until something changes asap.

I am sorry that guy is not worth 3M from what I have read about others and the amounts they are getting or have gotten.

I wish they’d go public with these. This shit has to be corralled sooner than later for the greater good of the game.
I agree and I do not believe the 3M figure.

I believe that is just a smoke-screen to get other players to look at texass thinking they are going to get some huge payday.

Most will not.

Latest I’ve heard on Bond was $1MM a year and a car

Kirby, Sark and Norvell (or their respective collectives) are in overdrive on our roster right now. We didn’t have the most robust NIL pay for play system when Saban was in charge, now we’re having to play catch up. It is what it is at this point, but it sucks. I know everyone tampers to some extent, but what’s going right now is absurd

Here's what's truly wild here. Every team can now tamper and offer current Alabama players. But Alabama can only go after guys already in the portal or from Washington and Arizona. And if Harbaugh leaves, the dominoes that fall after that will be wild. We could have an open season for some schools until April with the 30 day window. Nice work NCAA

Here's what's truly wild here. Every team can now tamper and offer current Alabama players. But Alabama can only go after guys already in the portal or from Washington and Arizona. And if Harbaugh leaves, the dominoes that fall after that will be wild. We could have an open season for some schools until April with the 30 day window. Nice work NCAA
Not to mention whoever AZ takes too, doubt they go down swinging w/o a big hire with the move

Back