***2017 Recruiting*** aka the LSU Thread...

LOL

LSU gets LB and EE Monty Rice

A true back up plan for competent programs, is a "nice get" for us

One of these BR LBs better fucking flip or I will lose it

He's yours. You guys are lined up for a huge week starting Wed. It's no coincidence that all these kids lined these announcements up.

Probably, these people are going crazy bro. You would think this is all they think about all day long.

Coaching changes and rumors suck this time of year. The worst. Need an early signing period.

Coaching changes and rumors suck this time of year. The worst. Need an early signing period.

Nice to finally not have any "Saban to (fill in the blank)" rumors. Guess after he didn't go to Texas the last go round, people stopped hoping. So of course he'll go to the Rams now

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Here are some recruiting tidbits to pass along...[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]***** LSU’s offensive coordinator search rolls on without Lane Kiffin. It’s been reported, and I can confirm, that LSU has heavily vetted former Orgeron coach Mark Helfrich, Alabama assistant Steve Sarkisian and Pitt offensive coordinator Matt Canada. The leader in the clubhouse right now is Canada. He’s set to interview with LSU today. If things go well, and offer could follow. From what I’ve gathered talking to people I trust, he’s definitely pulled ahead of Helfrich and Sarkisian.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]***** The Tigers were able to pick up a LB commitment on Monday in Alabama’s Monty Rice. He’s a guy the staff has really loved for a while, and I had mentioned a few times that they were quietly working on him. Ultimately, Dave Aranda was able to seal the deal there. That gives LSU some breathing room now that they have two LB’s committed in Rice and Patrick Queen, and Rice is an early-enrollee who will be on campus next month.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]The burning question now: who else is being targeted as the top LB’s on the board? There are guys committed to other schools like Will Ignont (Tennessee) and Jacob Phillips (OU) that we talked about a lot in the past, but there are also some uncommitted guys to keep an eye on moving forward. Here’s four names I’m told to watch closely.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Markaviest Bryant
K’Lavon Chaisson
Willie Yag
Tyler Taylor
[/FONT]

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Those four names are guys who remain uncommitted and have moved to the top of the board. Expect all four guys to make an official visit to LSU next month and nobody from the group is an early-enrollee. That means the staff has more time to work on them. I know the surprise name on the list is Taylor, who is ranked as the No. 10 middle LB in the country. We haven’t talked about him a ton, but Aranda has been working him hard. And we’ve already seen Aranda go into Alabama and pluck Rice, so it wouldn’t shock me to see him to the same with Taylor. I do not think Dylan Moses or Chris Allen are going to flip, for what it’s worth.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]***** On the QB front, here’s what it boils down to: an offensive coordinator. Both Myles Brennan and Lowell Narcisse are just waiting this out to see who the hire is. I mentioned this before, but Brennan wasn’t too high on the idea of Lane Kiffin, so him not being the answer will help. Oklahoma State will host Brennan on a visit next month, as will LSU. I know he wants to be here, but just wants to know he’s valued under the new OC. Fair enough. I should also note that he’s close with his head coach Bill Conides, who just got the head coaching job down the block at Denham Springs High. So Brennan would have his family in New Orleans and on the Gulf Coast and his old high school coach in town. I think that only helps with keeping him at LSU. As for Narcisse, Auburn went very hard for him down the stretch and got him to open things back up. He’s now going to announce at the Under Armour Game on Jan. 1. He told me that LSU is still very much in play, and all he wants to do is be able to talk with the new offensive coordinator. Given he can’t have any more face-to-face conversations until the dead period ends in January, those talks will have to come over the phone (when a hire happens). We will see if any new names pop up with the coordinator hire, but right now I think they focus on these two guys. For the record, Brennan is still committed, while Narcisse is now down to LSU, Auburn and Memphis.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]***** What’s up with early-enrollees? Right now they are sitting on six early-enrollees:[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]JaCoby Stevens
Grant Delpit
Austin Deculus
Mannie Netherly
Justin Thomas
Monty Rice
[/FONT]

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]All six guys tell 247Sports that they are locked in with LSU and will enroll next month. You will start to see these guys sign their financial aid agreements, too. Netherly is up to do that at his school this week.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]A guy who could be added to this list is Narcisse, which would put them at seven early-enrollees. I don’t think they will go much higher than that. Someone to monitor is JUCO WR Brandon Martin. He’s shown some interest and made an official visit, but Arkansas and Mississippi State are also players there. I can confirm he’s still in play though given the need at WR. Numbers are tight at the moment as they manage which players graduate this month and then which players decide to leave the team in January for the NFL Draft. Those numbers fluctuate and, in turn, move up/down the number of available scholarships. Because of that, I suspect they finish with 6-7 early-enrollees. 8 would be the most I could see right now. 9 would be a stretch.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]***** Another JUCO guy who the staff has been recruiting is four-star tight end Ravian Pierce. He made his official visit to LSU this past weekend, which came after a return trip to Mississippi State two weeks ago. He wants to make a decision this week. I get the feeling that the Bulldogs will be his landing spot. If things change, I will let you guys know.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]***** One place they still want to add a couple guys is on the defensive line. They have four guys committed right now in Tyler Shelvin-Neil Farrell-Justin Thomas-Aaron Moffitt. Farrell is going to take some visits (LSU included) in January, while Moffitt is coming off his official visit to TCU. Shelvin has talked about taking a Nebraska visit next month, but I don’t think that will transpire. And Thomas is an early-enrollee, so he’s done with visits.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Since Markaviest Bryant is viewed as an OLB target, two guys to watch on the defensive line are Marvin Wilson and Phidarian Mathis. I do still think LSU is in good shape with Wilson, and he’s grown close to Ed Orgeron throughout his recruitment process. He’s going to take a few visits next month, and LSU has been told they will get a visit. That’s big news and will help with the close. Mathis will also visit, and it’s still an LSU vs. Alabama battle. I don’t think it matters much who has the edge at the moment (I would say the Tide might have a slight lead) because he’s going to make visits to both places next month.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]I do still feel that on Wednesday, four-star JUCO defensive line target Isaiah Buggs will commit to Alabama.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]***** When you look at the other side of the ball, the class up front is about set. Jeff Grimes closed on four offensive linemen - Austin Deculus-Edward Ingram-Saahdiq Charles-Seth Stewart - all before the summer ended. And from where things stand now, all four are solid. Deculus and his parents spend the weekend with Grimes and the staff in Baton Rouge from Friday to Sunday, and now he’s set to enroll next month. We could see Charles make another visit elsewhere, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he doesn’t. Remember, his mom is an LSU grad and he’s always loved the Tigers. He jumped right on the offer, and I think he’s sticking. I expect this four to be the group they sign.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]***** At running back, LSU has a commitment from four-star Clyde Edwards-Helaire and they are pushing for five-star running back Cam Akers. LSU was one of five teams that went in-home with Akers on Sunday, the final day before the dead period. Right now, he’s waiting it out to see who the OC hire is in Baton Rouge. LSU is very much in this, but the hire will be a factor. There are tons of teams chasing him, but from talking to people, my gut tells me FSU and LSU are the top two teams. I think the Seminoles might have a slight edge, but nothing that can’t be overcome. The Tigers are definitely still in the mix, and he’s one of their biggest targets over the next few weeks given he’s an early-enrollee.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]***** At wide receiver, LSU has one guy committed in Mannie Netherly. He’s solid and will sign this week, then enroll next month. So one guy is in the books. I think they try to add two more wide receivers. The guys to watch down the stretch will be Devonta Smith, Racey McMath and Nico Collins. I mentioned Brandon Martin, and he’s the top JUCO guy still on the board. My educated guess is that the final couple commits comes from this group. Smith and McMath will make official visits to LSU next month, while Collins and Martin already made their official visits this month. I do think that LSU has a shot with Smith, but it’s going to be tough to beat Alabama, who I have always thought had a comfortable lead since he decommitted from Georgia. McMath is eyeing visits next month, but I think if LSU really turns up the heat and presses for him, they can get him. Collins is more of a dark horse. I think LSU’s among the top teams now because of the press Dameyune Craig has put on him, but Michigan and Alabama are two teams to watch there.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]***** At cornerback, I think they wrap up with Kary Vincent and Jontre Kirklin. There is a guy that we overlook in every class, and I think this year’s guy is Kirklin. He is a dynamic high school football player, and he played quarterback for Lutcher and led them to back-to-back state titles. He’s making the transition to corner at the college level, but he’s someone who has great athleticism and could wind up being a steal. They have still been recruiting Cheyenne Labruzza, but I think he ultimately signs with Tennessee.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]***** Unless they add Todd Harris next month, the safety board is done given they enroll two of the nation’s top three safeties next month in JaCoby Stevens and Grant Delpit. They are really pleased with those two additions. Harris will make visits to LSU, Alabama and Ole Miss next month, so his recruitment will come down to National Signing Day. We will obviously know more about where he stands then. It’s worth noting he just made an official visit to Arizona State, so he’s taking a look at all options.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]***** I have been asked a lot about Corey Raymond and his future at LSU, and this seems to happen every year around this time. I’ve talked to multiple sources I trust, and there is zero truth to the notion that Orgeron is firing Raymond after the bowl game. That is stuff that is being spread outside of LSU, and it’s being used to negatively recruit. Stevens and Delpit both heard a lot about that, and it only hurts given all LSU can tell them is that it’s not true. I talked to a couple people I trust this morning, and both emphatically told me that Orgeron is not firing Raymond, and if somehow he’s not on staff next season, it’s because he left on his own for some other job. And I haven’t heard that as being his plan. Basically, the rumors of them moving on from him are completely untrue.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]***** As you guys noticed, the big focus with in-home visits and official visitors in December was put on the crop of early-enrollees. They will stay on those guys hard the next few weeks, then when the dead period ends in January, the staff will hit the road for three final weeks of recruiting. They will be a bit more spread out with their stops next month, and it’s going to be extremely busy. They will also be hosting official visitors all three weekends. As always, it will be a mad dash to National Signing Day.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]***** A quick refresher on what the commitments look like right now.
2017 - No. 5 class (18 commits)
2018 - No. 8 class (4 commits)
2019 - No. 1 class (4 commits)
[/FONT]

Great write up

Nico Collins....Bammers and Wolverines? yall hearing?

Tyler Taylor intrigues me...

Silky doesnt come in here, so bookiesbestfriend? Grove? Akers gonna be a real interesting one...took 5 in homes on Sunday.....

thoughts?

gps you all get Buggs on Wednesday likely

Phidarian Mathis? What you hear there? He is the much bigger get and better player IMO....also not JUCO

Mark it down....Mathis will be really really good

gps you all get Buggs on Wednesday likely

Phidarian Mathis? What you hear there? He is the much bigger get and better player IMO....also not JUCO

Mark it down....Mathis will be really really good

Some of the message board moderators have hinted that Alabama is not done in Louisiana. Not sure on what players they are talking about though

Nice to finally not have any "Saban to (fill in the blank)" rumors. Guess after he didn't go to Texas the last go round, people stopped hoping. So of course he'll go to the Rams now

No shit.. Seemed like every year with Saban. I guess I need to get used to it.

this might be Bama's best class ever depending on how shit pans out

which is saying something

Saw on Twitter that USC's 2007 class had the highest 24/7 composite rating ever, and that Alabama's 2017 class is currently ranked ahead of that

How accurate are recruiting rankings at this time? Rivals have Oregon State in the top 30 and ahead of the Ducks. Doesn't seem right

I think recruiting rankings are as accurate as they've ever been. There's so much more access to film and evaluation camps that the services do a pretty decent job. If you look at the top 10-15 in the recruiting rankings for the last 8 years or so, looks pretty similar to the AP polls from those years

tejas boards got walker little leaning to stanford. texas gonna have zero five stars in a year that the state produced fucking five.

i'm pissed.

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]LSU is not hosting recruits this weekend due to the dead period but recruiting is not on hold for the staff.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Here are a few tidbits to pass along on a Friday.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]*** LSU needed receivers in this class with losing Kevin Spears, Tyron Johnson, John Diarse and Trey Quinn, it created some holes at wide receiver. There is another hole now that Jazz Ferguson has decided to transfer.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]LSU will get Mannie Netherly in January but needs to land at least two more wide outs that will report this summer. Expect to see LSU ramp things up again with one-time LSU commit Stephen Guidry. Contact has picked up again with LSU and Guidry and that is right up Guidry’s alley. I’m told that he will visit LSU in January and the staff feels like they can reel him in with him now being a summer enrollee.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]*** When Matt Canada made his first round of recruiting calls the night he was named the new OC, I’m told one of the most impressive calls was to five-star wide receiver Devonta Smith. LSU was expecting to get a visit from Smith in January and that was reinforced to the point where Smith told the staff he will definitely visit. Obviously, Canada made a big impression on Myles Brennan with getting him back on board fully and the feedback has also been positive from Lowell Narcisse.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]*** Alabama pushed hard to get Phidarian Mathis to commit early in the week and I’m told he came close to pulling the trigger thinking he was going lose his spot. Some coaches at Neville got to Mathis and told him to wait and take his visits to Alabama and LSU in January if that is what he wanted to do. Another move that will pay off in Monroe is expect Austin Thomas to help out in the area and that is a good move.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]*** With Ravian Pierce signing with Syracuse, expect interest to pick up on four-star defensive end Justin Harris of East Ascension. He is ranked as a defensive end but LSU thinks he can be a tight end in its system.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]*** Everyone wants to know who LSU would go after if it loses out on Cam Akers and the sights have already been set on four-star back Travis Etienne from Jennings. Interest is already picking up on LSU’s end and the hard feelings that some had in the beginning have been mended.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]*** Alabama is still courting five-star safety JaCoby Stevens and still trying to sell the angle that Corey Raymond will not be at LSU next year and beyond. Stevens is still telling LSU that he is solid and planning to enroll but LSU is not backing off at all.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]*** Landing JaCoby Stevens is going to be big for LSU in multiple ways and it could also help in Oklahoma four-star linebacker commit Jacob Phillips. LSU is continuing to work on Phillips and if things continue to progress I like the odds of flipping him in January.[/FONT]

Back