***2017 Recruiting*** aka the LSU Thread...

Considering they've launched Briles to Baylor, Sumlin to A/M, and Herman to Texas, I think most coaches would be crazy to pass them up.

Get Malik Zaire to transfer in next season run the Bama offense keep stacking talent on the foundation he has and in 2020 take the Tennessee or USC job

forget malik--kyle allen might not leave if lane is on campus.

I forgot he was there. I am still not sure on Allen but ya that would prob deter Zaire. Pitt seems like could be destination for him based on the little bit I've peeked at returning players - Auburn hasn't been mentioned for him yet but I think there could be interest there

Netherly for LSU look like he gonna stick

would love to grab Devonta Smith.....

need one more wr, 2 at worst

hermy is kinda corn holed this year because charlie was such a strong closer. he waited on everyone, so when a new coach steps in, it's almost impossible to replicate that kind of relationship when the kid hasnt' even committed yet.

The numbers for a recruiting class is always a hot topic once you get into December and January as schools make their sprint to the finish line on National Signing Day.
With six days to go until a dead period kicks in from Dec. 12-Jan. 11, we look at where LSU stands with 18 commitments and where we think the numbers will end up by the time the ink dries on NLI’s on Feb. 1.
Editor’s Note: This will be updated several times between now and signing day
Quarterbacks (Needs: 2)
**** Myles Brennan (6-3, 180) Bay St. Louis (Miss.) St. Stanislaus
**** Lowell Narcisse (6-2, 225) St. James (La.)
Skinny: Quarterback recruiting was the major headline last week with a new offer going out to five-star Tua Tagovailoa that played a big role in Brennan opening up his recruitment. Toss in Narcisse taking an official visit to Auburn and it was far from a dull week on that front. Until LSU hires an offensive coordinator, no one is going to have a good grasp on the direction the staff decides to go and whether or not it has to cast a wider net. Narcisse will take his official to LSU this weekend and that should solidify his pledge. The staff likes what it has seen of Keytaon Thompson, but with him slated to be an early enrollee at Mississippi State he has said that he will be enrolling at MSU barring something crazy happening to the staff.
Running Backs (Needs: 2-3)
**** Clyde Edwards-Helaire (5-7, 191) Baton Rouge (La.) Catholic
*** Tory Carter (6-2, 255) Leesburg (Ga.) Lee County
Skinny: Cam Akers has always been the other guy that Jabbar Juluke has been chasing to round out this group. The five-star back appears to be done with official visits since he reported to the Mississippi-Alabama All-Star Game late Monday and will be enrolling at the school of his choice in January. Most feel that it is an LSU/Ole Miss/Ohio State battle for his signature and Juluke plans to do an in-home visit on Sunday before all face-to-face contact is cut off. The LSU side likes where it stands heading down that leg of the home stretch. If the Tigers fail to land Akers, the options are limited unless some other guys pop up. Travis Etienne from Jennings should get a stronger look should the numbers present itself by Akers choosing another school and/or Edwards-Helaire flipping to Mississippi State – a school that has been making a run at him. Carter is keeping his options open as well, but once again, until a new offensive coordinator is hired you will not get a good picture of whether the fullback will be as relevant as it has in the past.
Wide Receivers (Needs: 3-4)
**** Mannie Netherly (6-2, 183) Crosby (Texas)
Skinny: This is a position that LSU has been hit hard at with attrition on the roster and the commitment list with Jhamon Ausbon and Stephen Guidry dropping their pledges. Netherly visited over the weekend and told Geaux247 that he was not taking any visits this weekend or having any in-home visits with other schools. LSU is in a good spot with four-star junior college wide out Brandon Martin, who makes up for the defection of Guidry, especially with Guidry’s academic questions on if he will be able to be an early enrollee. Three-star receiver Racey McMath is another one to keep an eye on when he visits LSU, Mississippi State and Texas A&M in January. Some on the LSU side feel that Dameyune Craig and Jabbar Juluke can wrap him up when that time comes. Nico Collins visited LSU over the weekend and the staff feels like it is in the race, along with Michigan and three schools he plans to visit in January in Florida State, Alabama and Georgia. Another big fish on LSU’s wish list is Louisiana’s No. 1 prospect Devonta Smith. Official visits have been put on hold for Smith and he will use them in January with LSU, Alabama and Miami expected to get one. The feeling here is that LSU needs to pull some strings to make up some ground, but the ground is not insurmountable.
Tight Ends (Needs: 0-1)
None committed
Skinny: Ravian Pierce is someone the staff would like to reel in, but the Mississippi State side is confident in landing him after his official visit last weekend. Pierce said he is returning to Florida and will not take an official visit to either LSU or Oklahoma State – the two schools that were hoping to get that last visit. LSU has continued to work on Texas A&M commit Camron Horry. However, he says he is solid to the Aggies. If a school can make some headway, it looks like it would be Texas with the recent offer from Tom Herman’s camp. A guy to keep an eye on is defensive end commit Aaron Moffitt as he could be someone you see make a move to tight end before his college career is over. Signing a tight end does not seem like a priority in this class from my perspective with LSU inking two in 2016 in Jamal Pettigrew and Caleb Roddy.
Offensive Tackles (Needs: 2-3)
**** Austin Deculus (6-6, 331) Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair
**** Seth Stewart (6-7, 325) Point Pleasant (W.Va.)
Skinny: This is easily one of the biggest needs in the class and the staff has two good ones already in the fold in Deculus and Stewart. In a perfect world, adding another tackle would be ideal. However, with Elliot baker now slated to visit Georgia next weekend before enrolling in January, and Alex Leatherwood eyeing an official to Florida or Auburn before he enrolls, the high-profile options are slim. LSU would love to get a visit from four-star offensive tackle Isaiah Wilson out of New York but that does not look likely as of now. Marrero (La.) John Ehret’s Dwayne Fisher has some nice offers but is more in the mold of what LSU already has at tackle in guys who are better fits inside.
Offensive Guards (Needs: 2)
**** Edwards Ingram (6-4, 325) DeSoto (Texas)
**** Saahdiq Charles (6-5, 314) Madison (Miss.) Madison-Ridgeland
Skinny: LSU has plenty of guard types on the roster and two very nice additions in Ingram and Charles. Ingram has maintained that he is locked in with LSU and the staff feels good about holding on to Charles even though he intends to visit Mississippi State and Ole Miss, in addition to LSU, next month. If the staff keeps these two in the fold the needs are met in a big way.
Defensive Ends (Needs: 3-4)
*** Justin Thomas (6-5, 255) Spanish Fort (Ala.)
*** Aaron Moffitt (6-4, 255) Baton Rouge (La.) Catholic
*** Neil Farrell (6-4, 295) Mobile (Ala.) Murphy
Skinny: Thomas visited LSU over the weekend and the early enrollee said he was locked in with the Tigers. If Alabama decided to ramp up its interest it could create some tense moments for the Crimson Tide legacy but right now that does not appear to be happening. Farrell has official visits planned to LSU, Florida State and USC in January with a trip to Michigan also a possibility. Expect Farrell to take a good look at these programs but Dameyune Craig and Ed Orgeron are all over him. I touched on Moffitt when looking at possibilities at tight end down the road and he is tentatively slated to visit TCU this weekend. You get a sense for where the numbers are and how tight they are with guys like Isaiah Buggs and Phidarian Mathis still at the top of LSU’s wish list. Buggs will be signing on Dec. 15 with LSU, Alabama, Auburn and Ole Miss all trying to get him on campus this weekend. Mathis will visit LSU in January and it is an LSU/Alabama race on his front.
Defensive Tackles (Needs: 1-2)
**** Tyler Shelvin (6-2, 365) Crowley (La.) Notre Dame
Skinny: LSU already has one of the nation’s best nose guards on board in Shelvin and he is locked in. The staff will be monitoring his academic progress and that will go down to the wire. Marvin Wilson is the other big fish that Ed Orgeron is pursuing. Texas insiders feel that the Horns have a lot of ground to make up with the new regime, and Texas A&M is trying to capitalize on that for in-state options. LSU and Texas A&M are the two front runners to get the five-star tackle’s final officials in January, and Orgeron already used his in-home visit with Wilson. Ohio State has made a push after Wilson’s official visit to the Horseshoe for the Michigan game and this is a battle that will go deep into January.
Linebackers (Needs: 4-5)
**** Patrick Queen (6-0, 215) Livonia (La.)
Skinny: Pure outside linebackers are not a big need for LSU in this class with Queen already on board and Andre Anthony equating to another early enrollee in this class since he redshirted in 2016. A good indicator of that was LSU deciding to not take four-star outside linebacker Shanon Reid, who wanted to jump on board. Former Ole Miss commit Willie Yag said he will visit LSU in January and most feel like he is an outside guy. The same goes for Levi Jones, who has reportedly not had a very good senior season per several sources who have watched him extensively. The big name that the staff feels is a major difference-maker on the outside in the mold of Arden Key is K'Lavon Chaisson. Texas has made a strong push, but LSU is currently scheduled to get an official visit in January with plans to get Chaisson and Marvin Wilson on campus together. There will always be some crossover with linebackers already in the 230-pound range that could play inside or outside. Two at the top of the list for LSU are both committed to Alabama in Dylan Moses and Christopher Allen. Ed Orgeron has an in-home visit with Moses later this week at IMG Academy, and LSU still feels like it has a shot to flip the early enrollee. The door is not closed but there is some work to do by Orgeron, Dave Aranda, Corey Raymond and co. LSU was quick to visit Allen after he committed to Alabama the Sunday after the Iron Bowl and will continue to make their pitch to keep the homegrown product at home. Keep an eye on Oklahoma commit Jacob Phillips, who will get an in-home visit from Orgeron this week. He is not an early enrollee so there is still a lot of time to work that angle and sources tell us that he is receptive to what LSU is selling with playing time as a big draw. Monty Rice is currently taking an official to LSU and the staff would jump at the opportunity to land his pledge. Tennessee commit Will Ignont is scheduled to visit LSU in January and this is another door that is far from closed for the Tigers.
Cornerbacks (Needs: 2)
**** Kary Vincent (5-11, 170) Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial
*** Jontre Kirklin (5-11, 166) Lutcher (La.)
Skinny: After taking three cornerbacks in 2016 and expecting as many as three in what is a loaded 2018 class, this is not a big need for the 2017 class. Vincent has remained steadfast on how strong his commitment is despite Texas going all-in to keep him in-state. Kirklin is a guy who could play corner or even slot receiver and the staff loves his senior film and is excited about adding him to the mix. LSU has addressed this position but Tennessee commit Cheyenne Labruzza is another one to keep an eye on in January. Ed Orgeron continues to work that angle.
Safeties (Needs: 2-3)
***** JaCoby Stevens (6-2, 200) Murfreesboro (Tenn.) Oakland
**** Grant Delpit (6-3, 185) Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular][/FONT]
Bowl Game Gift Guide: 25 best packages for players
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]START SLIDESHOW[/FONT]
Skinny: On paper, this is the best safety tandem that LSU has signed in the modern era of recruiting in landing two of the three highest ranked players at that position. The good thing is that Stevens said that he is 100 percent committed to enrolling at LSU in January, and the staff expects Delpit to reiterate that same stance after his official visit this weekend. Not only does LSU get the tandem but it also gets both guys on campus in January for spring practice. Corey Raymond will be able to focus his attention on Todd Harris in January as LSU, Alabama and Ole Miss are scheduled to host him.

great writeup

i fing sonny and shea to be extremely fair and logical

would like to hear any feedback:shake2:

Phidarian is one to watch....i think this kid is gonna be sick

sure hope he comes to LSU

our LB situation as stated is nuts......could go so many ways

if things land right....LSU could have a helluva a class, even with all the turmoil.

we could also lose it

Willie Yag?

UM guys and Ole Miss guys (and Messy St peeps....we have any lol?)
Kid is from Starkvegas and we know getting Miss kids is tough...

If LSU can break in with Akers and this kid....man

Not that it will even come close to happening, but playing time has to come into play....Ole Piss can offer it too, shit I saw their LB play....

Interesting for sure

Willie has been hard to read, but State guys are really confident. They are as confident about him as they were about Chris Jones, Leo Lewis, and Jeffrey Simmons. That tells me all I need to know. Arrangements have been made.

There seems to be a lot of Akers to LSU smoke.

only 5* texas has a chance with is walker little, best OL prospect in the state. has an in-home scheduled for tonight.

The prevailing opinion up here is the usual...Kid wants Michigan, family wants him closer to home. We know what usually wins out there.

Walker Little is another kid that Ole Miss lost ground on due to the NCAA investigation. He's a good one. I have heard Stanford on him for a while, but that was before the coaching change at UT.

Can't see Willie leaving Mississippi. That state has a fucking fortress over their kids.

Walker Little is another kid that Ole Miss lost ground on due to the NCAA investigation. He's a good one. I have heard Stanford on him for a while, but that was before the coaching change at UT.

apparently him and ehlinger are good friends, so that helps.

Willie has been hard to read, but State guys are really confident. They are as confident about him as they were about Chris Jones, Leo Lewis, and Jeffrey Simmons. That tells me all I need to know. Arrangements have been made.

There seems to be a lot of Akers to LSU smoke.
i
hope it is real

this kid is better than Najee i think

Akers is a bad ass for sure. Part of me wishes we had kept him and let Najee look around, but guess Saban likes Najee more

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]he LSU football staff is hosting five official visitors and their families on the final weekend before the dead period, and a heavy emphasis is being put on early-enrollees who are visiting schools for the final time. All five visitors this weekend are early-enrollees.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Everyone got to campus on Friday and went through a meet-and-greet, then they went to dinner together. As always, the parents and family went out with the staff afterwards, while the recruits went out with their player/hosts.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Here are some highlights to touch on now that everyone is on campus.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]**** LSU is hosting five-star Alabama linebacker commitment Dylan Moses. I think he is certainly giving things a final look by coming into Baton Rouge this weekend, meaning it’s more than “just a free trip”. He brought his entire family with him, too. Mom, dad and brothers are all here on campus. Do I think he flips? My gut tells me no, but LSU’s got a solid staff of recruiters on him with Corey Raymond, Ed Orgeron and Dave Aranda leading the charge. I’m told Dylan is set to sit down for a while this morning with Aranda, and he will certainly sell him on the lack of depth at linebacker and how he could be playing early. It’s obviously a big position of need for the Tigers. Dylan and his family will stay in town until Sunday when he flies back to the IMG Academy. I should note that Dylan is being hosted by LSU running back Derrius Guice. They have called each other “brothers” growing up in Baton Rouge together, and they have remained close.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]**** LSU is also hosting another IMG Academy senior in four-star safety commitment Grant Delpit. He came in with his mom, dad, grandfather and grandmother. From talking to a few sources, he’s completely locked in as is his family. He never really wavered through the coaching shuffle, and he’s not going to now. He’s set to be an early-enrollee, so he will be on campus next month and be able to participate fully in spring ball. The safety race will be wide open with Rickey Jefferson and Jamal Adams gone from the team, so Delpit and fellow LSU safety commitment JaCoby Stevens will both have a chance to compete for playing time as freshmen.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]**** LSU four-star offensive tackle commitment Austin Deculus made it into town on Friday, and he’s being hosted by current LSU offensive guard Will Clapp. Deculus made the trip in from Texas with his mom, dad and his brother, and he’s set to stay until Sunday afternoon. Deculus had been hearing from other schools, but once Orgeron was named the coach and it became clear to him that Jeff Grimes was still on staff, he was completely locked in and didn’t take visits anywhere else. We’ve seen Maea Teuhema, Toby Weathersby and Donavaughn Campbell all see time as true freshmen in recent years. Given he’s an early-enrollee and will have a head start on the rest of the class by enrolling this spring, I think he can put himself in that same conversation.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]**** It’s a huge weekend for LSU quarterback recruiting with four-star commitment Lowell Narcisse back on campus. Auburn is pushing for him very hard, but as I mentioned before, they are also pushing hard to land Baylor transfer Jarrett Stidham. Both Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee were in-home with Stidham on Friday while Narcisse was on LSU’s campus. Narcisse made the trip in with mom, stepdad and his brother, and he’s being hosted by fellow quarterback Lindsey Scott Jr. While the Tigers don’t have an offensive coordinator, they are going to still sell him on how his abilities as a dual-threat quarterback will be used in the new offensive moving forward. With no offensive coordinator, LSU recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach Dameyune Craig is taking the lead role in his recruitment process this weekend.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]**** The fifth and final official visitor this weekend is tight end Ravian Pierce. He’s being hosted by fellow Florida native John Battle, and it appears the race to land the current Mississippi JUCO TE will come down to LSU, Mississippi State and Syracuse. He was committed to the Bulldogs before reopening his process, but he was back in Starkville last weekend. He had said then that he would make no more visits, but LSU was able to get him into town this weekend. That said, he came alone, so if he does pick the Tigers, it would come without any family seeing the campus. I’m not sure if that’s a deal breaker, but it’s worth noting. Pierce tells 247Sports that he could have a decision made as early as next week.[/FONT]

Back