2016 NBA Offseason Discussion

how crazy is this.....KD will make 50+ million in the next 2 years and get to reup on another MONSTER deal

you bet the NFL dudes are hating.........NBA is super popular right now, but they better play with care here....getting dangerous. NFL popularity will always be there and will never be surpassed, but I cannot remeber the NBA being this popular since the prime MJ years....

GSW did build their team through the draft first.

totally.....absolutely AMAZING what they have done.....certainly a tad lucky, but just amazing to be able to put this kind of team together while playing the same rules as everyone else

and we get to watch AD just wither with no talent around and leave after his deal is up

Very hard to make 3 straight finals, and the Yankees prove that money can't buy team chemistry. Lakers 'bought' a team in 2004 (by adding Payton & Malone to the Kobe-&-Shaq-show), and still got their asses whipped by the blue collar Pistons. Nothing is a given.

Yea but does chemistry even matter in baseball? It's basically an individual team sport. Also weren't Payton and Malone past their prime? This seem way different from the examples you gave, BC.

how crazy is this.....KD will make 50+ million in the next 2 years and get to reup on another MONSTER deal

you bet the NFL dudes are hating.........NBA is super popular right now, but they better play with care here....getting dangerous. NFL popularity will always be there and will never be surpassed, but I cannot remeber the NBA being this popular since the prime MJ years....
The NFL Player's Association needs to step their game up and at minimum, get their players guaranteed contracts.

The NFL Player's Association needs to step their game up and at minimum, get their players guaranteed contracts.

CmYcIPzVIAAbCk8.jpg

and Dallas gave max money to Harrison Barnes. lmfao

I think GSW got the good end of that deal. Jerry West for President!
No doubt. With a $98 million contract over 4 years that's $24.5 average a year compared to KD's average of $27 million a year over 2 years.

Yea but does chemistry even matter in baseball? It's basically an individual team sport. Also weren't Payton and Malone past their prime? This seem way different from the examples you gave, BC.

Yeah, I mentioned the same exact things. The Yankees won 4 titles in 5 years, so even suggesting that whatever they did proved it doesn't work is just wrong. Obviously, they went overboard and started spending money on the wrong players, so it's true that simply spending money doesn't guarantee a winner...but again, we can then look at the Red Sox and their titles...they are/were always right at the top of spending in the league. It's just not that great of a point, and doesn't translate here anyway because baseball has no salary cap.

And yes, Malone and Payton were well past their prime when they joined the Lakers.

Yeah, I mentioned the same exact things. The Yankees won 4 titles in 5 years, so even suggesting that whatever they did proved it doesn't work is just wrong. Obviously, they went overboard and started spending money on the wrong players, so it's true that simply spending money doesn't guarantee a winner...but again, we can then look at the Red Sox and their titles...they are/were always right at the top of spending in the league. It's just not that great of a point, and doesn't translate here anyway because baseball has no salary cap.

And yes, Malone and Payton were well past their prime when they joined the Lakers.
:shake2: Yep just saw your post

Someone's An Idiot
50m50 minutes ago
Someone's An Idiot ‏@SomeonesAnIdiot
BREAKING: Kevin Durant has decided to blow off the Warriors and become a Stock Broker instead

Any thoughts on the grizz signing Chandler Parsons? I know he's had some injuries

Yeah, the thoughts are it was a horrible signing and they gave him way too much money (along with Conley), regardless of the cap going up. They are currently paying over 50% of their cap to 2 players, and are we even sure either one of them is actually an all star or a top 30 player in the league? Fans of the Grizz, such as yourself, cannot be happy in the least bit with what they've done thus far.

Yeah, the thoughts are it was a horrible signing and they gave him way too much money (along with Conley), regardless of the cap going up. They are currently paying over 50% of their cap to 2 players, and are we even sure either one of them is actually an all star or a top 30 player in the league? Fans of the Grizz, such as yourself, cannot be happy in the least bit with what they've done thus far.

GRIZZ have no choice.You want to compete you got to pay for it. The money is there spend it. The new NBA.

GRIZZ have no choice.You want to compete you got to pay for it. The money is there spend it. The new NBA.

Yes, of course. Just because they're spending money and "paying for it" doesn't mean they were good decisions. We're about to see 80% of the league "pay for it" and be nowhere near a title, some not even a playoff berth. Nothing is changing except the players' salaries are going up...poorly run teams are still going to be poorly run teams, their payroll is just going to be higher.

[h=1]Marc SteinESPN Senior Writer [/h]
stein_marc_m.jpg

The Warriors and Mavericks are in the advanced stages of a trade that will send Andrew Bogut into Dallas' cap space, league sources say

Congrats to KD and the Dubz. This isn't the fiasco too that the Heat trio were. This is a real, legit team, built from the ground up with awesome draft picks.

This is their first big free agent signing too.

Amazing.

I'm worried about the Center position. Need a solid inside presence to rebound and protect the rim. Bogut and Ezeli gonna be gone. That leaves Varajao who if anything should only be coming off the bench.

not that we listen to Stephen A Smith all that much

but he says "this is the weakest move he's ever seen a superstar make"
He is 100% right. Bad for KD, bad for GSW, bad for Okc and bad for the league...

KD has Dubs on ropes, can't finish them off up 3-1...goes and joins them 30 days later lolz.

Egg nailed it, ruining the NBA. All ring-chasers that instead of wanting to beat them, they join them. Bron included (difference with him is he already actually went and won them...in MIA and CLE both).

All I know is he better go there and win all kinds of titles with eye-popping numbers...there aren't enough basketballs to go around in the whole city of Oakland now.
Dubs win a title, set an NBA record with 73 wins, goto Finals AGAIN, lose one championship series, and dismantle a roster like that. Absolutely mind-blowing. Sure hope everything they did well -- the ball movement, sharing, chemistry, role players dirty work, etc. doesn't come to a crashing halt because of this. That'd be a shame.

Nonetheless, congrats #DubNation and the NBA...I guess.

With the trade with Orlando it looked like OKC was going to be a great to team to watch and be a definite fave in the west, pending Durant.
i wouldn't crown GS yet though.

My opinion as I said, that this is bad for everyone.

The two obvious are bad for OKC and bad for the league. OKC just went from good 4th quarter from second NBA Final to borderline playoffs team. It's bad for the league because suddenly it looks like nothing can stop Cleveland - GSW Finals rematch, so what's the point for 82 games regular season and the playoffs? OKC was biggest and maybe only rival in the West for GSW and now they are done - at least contending wise.

Why is it bad for GSW?
You take a team that broke NBA records left and right. Longest winning streak, most NBA games won in a single season and lost NBA title by 4 points in Game 7 and 99% if it wasn't for Curry's injury and Green's suspension, would have been NBA Champions. You lose Barnes, Ezeli, Bogut and maybe others - WHY?! They had one of the best locker rooms in the league and one of the deepest teams in the league. They were favorites to win the title already. You break a great team on the court, to build amazingly great team on paper. Anything but NBA title and you will get criticized a ton and even winning the title might not be enough, after last season's achievements.
When you have historically good team that does amazing things, you don't change it - not in my eyes.
Durant is not a cancer and I doubt he will ruin the locker room, but sometimes things don't go as planned.

Why is it bad for Durant?
I hated Bron going to Miami, but this is much much much worse in my eyes. He joins a team that just lost Game 7 in the NBA Finals and broke NBA record. THE BEST THING HE CAN DO IS NOT MESS THIS UP! You can't do much better than that... You win the title? Great, GSW did the same with Barnes instead of Durant and the year after broke the NBA record and much more than one actually... Only Si-Fi scenarios will make us say WOW, Durant is the best player in the world or he did something that no one else did or anything close to it. Imagine GSW going 68 - 14 and losing in the NBA Finals again - that's a failure and it will be on him and he will take much heat for that... And we are talking about amazing record and amazing Playoff run and still - huge huge huge failure. He comes to a team where Curry is the leader - he will be second best - at best. He comes to a team that has reigning MVP for two seasons straight now. I can't see his legacy turning to be as one of the best players ever played this game, even if GSW will win B2B2B titles with him in the roster.
He can lose so so so so much credit and earn so so so little...

GSW had amazing season - why blow this team up? Thunder were one quarter from going to NBA Finals and got a bit better - why blow this team up? I honestly see zero sense for this move from any possible angle.

And btw, Lakers with Payton and Malone, Miami with Bron, Cleveland with Bron - Obviously all different situations than the one we got here - but did any of those teams won the title the first season? Celtics were the only ones that managed to do it.

Yes, of course. Just because they're spending money and "paying for it" doesn't mean they were good decisions. We're about to see 80% of the league "pay for it" and be nowhere near a title, some not even a playoff berth. Nothing is changing except the players' salaries are going up...poorly run teams are still going to be poorly run teams, their payroll is just going to be higher.

:bluehead:

The two obvious are bad for OKC and bad for the league. OKC just went from good 4th quarter from second NBA Final to borderline playoffs team. It's bad for the league because suddenly it looks like nothing can stop Cleveland - GSW Finals rematch, so what's the point for 82 games regular season and the playoffs? OKC was biggest and maybe only rival in the West for GSW and now they are done - at least contending wise.

Why is it bad for GSW?
You take a team that broke NBA records left and right. Longest winning streak, most NBA games won in a single season and lost NBA title by 4 points in Game 7 and 99% if it wasn't for Curry's injury and Green's suspension, would have been NBA Champions. You lose Barnes, Ezeli, Bogut and maybe others - WHY?! They had one of the best locker rooms in the league and one of the deepest teams in the league. They were favorites to win the title already. You break a great team on the court, to build amazingly great team on paper. Anything but NBA title and you will get criticized a ton and even winning the title might not be enough, after last season's achievements.
When you have historically good team that does amazing things, you don't change it - not in my eyes.
Durant is not a cancer and I doubt he will ruin the locker room, but sometimes things don't go as planned.

I hated Bron going to Miami, but this is much much much worse in my eyes. He joins a team that just lost Game 7 in the NBA Finals and broke NBA record. THE BEST THING HE CAN DO IS NOT MESS THIS UP! You can't do much better than that... You win the title? Great, GSW did the same with Barnes instead of Durant and the year after broke the NBA record and much more than one actually... Only Si-Fi scenarios will make us say WOW, Durant is the best player in the world or he did something that no one else did or anything close to it. Imagine GSW going 68 - 14 and losing in the NBA Finals again - that's a failure and it will be on him and he will take much heat for that... And we are talking about amazing record and amazing Playoff run and still - huge huge huge failure. He comes to a team where Curry is the leader - he will be second best - at best. He comes to a team that has reigning MVP for two seasons straight now. I can't see his legacy turning to be as one of the best players ever played this game, even if GSW will win B2B2B titles with him in the roster.

GSW had amazing season - why blow this team up? Thunder were one quarter from going to NBA Finals and got a bit better - why blow this team up? I honestly see zero sense for this move from any possible angle.

I Agree

I actually like the moves we've made this off season. Still lots of work to do but we need to stengthen our defense and seems we are filling the needs of players who can '3&D'. hill and Moore should fit within Gentrys offensive scheme and Ermans defensive philosophy.

Now if we can find a way to unload Tyreke and Asik...

Dubs pick up the option on Shaun Livingston for $5.8 million. He's gotta be shaking his head with all these latest contracts coming out. Compared to some of those numbers, he'd probably make $20 million a year. Next year though, he'll an opportunity to cash in. He's only 30.

I have to laugh at what al horford got, dude avg was 14 and 9
gets 113 mill

Why is it bad for GSW?

You make some good points for your GSW argument but those three guys faded pretty hard down the stretch. Barnes couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Bogut was back to his injured ways. Ezeli, although took a couple steps back will be the one guy I wanted to still be a Warrior. To get a top 3-5 guy in Durant, you have to take that. He'll only be making $2.5 million more a year than Barnes. You gotta jump on that. This was a no brainer for the dubs.

We will see... as Lakers fan, I was thrilled when they signed Malone and Payton...
Obviously Dubs are huge favorites to go all the way now - but still...

Durant, Klay and Draymond all gonna log some minutes in Brazil as well, be curious to see what that does to them with basically no off-season

We will see... as Lakers fan, I was thrilled when they signed Malone and Payton...
Obviously Dubs are huge favorites to go all the way now - but still...

Malone was 40 and the Glove was 35. I know this comparison keeps being made, but there is no comparison at all. It's just a horrible example to use in this case.

I agree that you can't compare - but still - I and many others expected Lakers to win the ship easily that year and in the end...

Only Pop can perhaps knock this team off with Pau

Spurs desperately needed to upgrade production and defense at PG and I don't think Dejounte Murray is ready to contribute yet. Parker isn't in the elite class anymore and Mills was worthless in the OKC series. After watching Nando De Colo dominate the Euroleague I wonder if we gave up on him too soon.

Believe Davis Bertans will join them this upcoming season and he is a 6-10 small forward with a really sweet stroke but a horrendous rebounder... averaged under 3 a game the last 2 seasons. Will be interesting to see if he can handle the physicality of the NBA.

I agree that you can't compare - but still - I and many others expected Lakers to win the ship easily that year and in the end...

Well yeah, that's because you're a Lakers fan. People looking at it objectively thought it would turn out exactly how it did.

This is not bad for the Warriors. Come on.

Harrison Barnes was taking a fair share of shots and not performing. KD will take a handful of shots from Steph and Klay and still get his near 25.

They will be resting a guy almost every other night. They'll all get their points...

Durant is not a guy who will cry for more shots. Now he'll just be wide open.

This sucks for the league because only one team can beat this team and that's SAS who will reverse course and pound them away inside with LA and Pau.

Cavs weren't better last season, everything just broke their way. But they'll have a free pass to the finals but will be a +300 or +400 dog vs. this all-time great team.

I actually like the moves we've made this off season. Still lots of work to do but we need to stengthen our defense and seems we are filling the needs of players who can '3&D'. hill and Moore should fit within Gentrys offensive scheme and Ermans defensive philosophy.

Now if we can find a way to unload Tyreke and Asik...

Interesting point. But the NFL peaked a couple of years ago. Less and less kids playing the sport. It's a tough "future" buy 20 years out. As more studies come out the sport will essentially become banned through lawsuits.

And it needs extreme popularity to survive. 100s of players and staff on each team and only 8 home games.

Back