2016 NBA Offseason Discussion

if i compare whats happening to other American sports whats happening in the NBA is even more absurd

no it's really not.... Just by the sheer roster size any random NBA player is more responsible to his team's success than any random NFL, MLB, NHL player. The league is soaring in popularity while the other 3 are neutral or trending downward.

What it really comes down to is where is all this money coming from? I think most people's problem with the money these athletes make comes down to how expensive it is to attend games. But that's a moot point

are you comparing a soccer player and a basketball player? I don't understand

how are possibly quantifying and comparing two completely different sports. Compare it to an American sport.

Weren't you the one who "introduced" Ronaldo into this discussion? He's only comparing a soccer and basketball player in response to you trying to compare a soccer and basketball player.

no it's really not.... Just by the sheer roster size any random NBA player is more responsible to his team's success than any random NFL, MLB, NHL player. The league is soaring in popularity while the other 3 are neutral or trending downward.

What it really comes down to is where is all this money coming from? I think most people's problem with the money these athletes make comes down to how expensive it is to attend games. But that's a moot point

Yes, the roster size in the NBA certainly leads to the players making bigger salaries as they only have to split the money up 15 ways as opposed to 25 in the NHL/MLB or 54 in the NFL.

As to where the money is coming from, it's coming from the TV revenue deal (the vast majority of the money is, at least), so you're right it's a moot point when talking about how much games cost to attend. The NBA players have negotiated it so they are getting 50% of the revenues that the league/teams pull in. That's a HUGE number, and one of the reasons we're going to see the salaries escalate at an astronomical rate. The NFL players, for instance, get somewhere around 44-46% of the total revenues from what I heard yesterday (I haven't looked it up, so no idea if that's 100% accurate).

Can't see how that helps that team at all, I guess another scorer but man these last couple weeks not been good. I like Stevens and hope for the best, but just not a great stretch for them.

Horford is good friends with Durant. Tom Brady, Ainge, Pagliuca met with Durant today in the Hamptons.

CmYVL1IWIAQEbx3.jpg:large

To demonstrate the absurdity of teams spending, last offseason Bismack Biyombo couldn't get better than a 2 year $6 million deal. This offseason he is getting 4 years $72 million from Orlando. Yes he had 3 great games in the playoffs but he still can't pass or shoot. I can't possibly see Biyombo being 15-16 million a year better than Dewayne Dedmon as a backup center.

I question what Orlando is doing here. They just traded for Ibaka and have Vucevic at center while hoping that Aaron Gordon is somehow going to learn to shoot and start him at small forward when his skill set is more power forward. To top it off they made a ridiculous signing in Jeff Green for 1 season at $15 million.

Solomon Hill, 4 years for 52 mil. think its 48 guaranteed. Hills got no road blocks in front of him, should definitely have a career year.

Someone needs to call out Larry Bird for his stupidity. How did he not offer Hill a qualifying offer last summer is ridiculous and cost the Pacers one season with a bargain rotation player.

ESPN has An article asking if Celtics pass cavs with signing of Horford . This is fucking fantasy land , lol

So the Grizz just committed 51.71% of their entire salary cap to Mike Conley and Chandler Parsons. Yeah, that should end swimmingly for Memphis.

Yeah... that's bad. I think that Conley deserves his contract, but Parsons... On the other hand, it would appear that next year, it will only be around 40% of the cap, so makes some sense...
On top of it, Memphis decided to commit fully to win now approach. Z-Bo, Gasol, Conley and Parsons - if they can stay healthy - pretty good unit. They also have few solid bench players with Green and Wright in the paint...

Austin Rivers resigns with the Clippers for 3 years $35.7 million...I give up $12 mil a year for a backup PG that can't shoot 3's or free throws.

Mike Conley signing is a bargain in comparison.

Austin Rivers resigns with the Clippers for 3 years $35.7 million...I give up $12 mil a year for a backup PG that can't shoot 3's or free throws.

Mike Conley signing is a bargain in comparison.
It sure helps when you have your father on the other side of negotiations...

Conley deserves his contract for sure... if your second best player doesn't deserve 1/5 of your team's salary cap... you're in big problem...

This shit is ridiculous.

[TABLE="width: 600"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]
joe_johnson.jpg
[/TD]
[TD]50. Joe Johnson
Unrestricted / Small Forward / 6-7 / Team: Miami
12.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 3,9 apg
Has expressed a willingness to finish his career with the Heat after leaving Brooklyn.
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
Agent: Jeff Schwartz
2015/16 Earnings: $22,309,344
Career Earnings: $198,647,490

I canot believe this guy got that kinda money

also the deals these shitty, downright SHITTY players are getting because of the NBA and player situation is the biggest luckbox shit ever.....next year too.

Eric Gordon just got paid again ffs....altho they smelled his history and said nah nah.......not like we did and got fucked

KD also friends with Curry, fwiw.

Right. Was I supposed to list everyone in the league he was friends with? The point was simply that he obviously has a team full of friends in OKC, so him making a decision to leave isn't going to be based on a friendship.

Or did you mean to quote the other post? That probably makes more sense.

If you have two people working under you, and one brings in about 10 times more money then the other guy will ever dream of bringing in for you, you don't compensate the one more then the other? I am glad I do not have to work for you.

unions are great right?

apply this to life now outside of sport

Horford buy makes KD coming to Boston plausible.

Would like to see it as an actual competitor vs Cleveland, other than KD and Russ coming to Philly for 2018.

If it's all about money for KD, here is the approximate take home money he'll be getting if he played on these teams...

Assuming Durant gets $26.6 million in the first season of his NBA deal, adding to the $30 million he gets annually from Nike, his net earnings would be drastically different with the Warriors as compared with the Heat or Spurs.
After paying taxes and agent fees on the $56.6 million, Durant would take home $26.7 million in California (13.3 percent state tax) or $31.2 million in Florida or Texas (no state tax), according toRobert Raiola, the director of the sports and entertainment group at the accounting and advisory firm PKF O’Connor Davies.
His calculations on Durant’s take-home money in Boston and Oklahoma City are similar ($29.3 million with the Celtics and $29.4 million with the Thunder).

Congrats Cogen. This might end up being one of the greatest teams ever with Steph/KD/Klay

wow wow wow

this is going to be insane though

being a dubs fan I couldnt imagine

4 of the top 10 guys in the league? 2 of the top 4?

Sure, but it feels like when you play a video game on the easy level and get an all star team to boot. It's fun for like 3 games.

What's going to be incredible to watch? We know they're better than everyone else and will win all of their games. The NBA is going to be really fucking lame now.

Sure, but it feels like when you play a video game on the easy level and get an all star team to boot. It's fun for like 3 games.

What's going to be incredible to watch? We know they're better than everyone else and will win all of their games. The NBA is going to be really fucking lame now.

cause everyone hated watching the dubs this year or LeBrons Heat?

then don't watch. I'm interested in the dynamics of how all these alpha's will mesh and how they will play together. This team might average 125 ppg and it will be fun to watch them offensively. Will be the most wide open offense outside of an all star game.

Why would you, and a Minnesota fan, like it? Your team has literally no chance to win a damn thing for the next decade.

Back