2016 NBA Offseason Discussion

Dubs going all out to try and get Durant. Curry, Klay, and Draymond will all be at the meeting along with Kerr, GM Meyers, and owner Lacob. I hope they can convince him to come as we'll have a Big 4.

And there ya have it, Conley 5 yrs/$153 milly

Richest deal in NBA history

Mike Conley

And there ya have it, Conley 5 yrs/$153 milly

Richest deal in NBA history

Mike Conley

NBA All-Defense 2nd team 3 years ago.

Never made an All-Star team.

2 years ago got a homer 3rd place vote for MVP from the local beat writer.

Makes perfect sense Conley should have the largest contract in NBA history.

In Conley, Parsons, and Gasol the Memphis Grizzlies have over $300 million invested in guys healthy enough to play a combined 23 games after the All-Star break this past season.

The one thing is that Dwight will finally have a coach that won't take his bullshit.

The last time he had a coach like that, he manipulated his firing. This isn't gonna end well...you'd have to imagine Dwight will be the one on the short end of the stick when it's all said and done.

that meeting happened already no?

Yes, happened earlier this afternoon. The coverage of these meetings is exhausting and pointless. The talk was about how the meeting took a bit longer than 2 hours...well, for one Durant isn't going to treat people like morons and only give them a few minutes of his time after they flew cross country to meet with him...and secondly, there were like 10 people from the Warriors at the meeting, that's a lot of people that have to talk, and that would presumably take a little longer than originally anticipated.

NBA All-Defense 2nd team 3 years ago.

Never made an All-Star team.

2 years ago got a homer 3rd place vote for MVP from the local beat writer.

Makes perfect sense Conley should have the largest contract in NBA history.

Can't wait to see what LeBron gets next year after this craziness. He's gonna get $50mil/yr at this rate...lol.

Well there goes my hawks fanhood. They sign Dwight 3 years 70 million. Sorry Atlanta fans. My sincerest condolences

Horford informed them he was signing elsewhere.

Hawks resigned Bazemore for 4 years $70 million.

Renew - you serious about liking the E. Moore signing or joking about how an undersized backup shooting guard got $8.5 per year ? Would have rather signed Jared Dudley myself for 3 years $30 million.

Horford informed them he was signing elsewhere.

Hawks resigned Bazemore for 4 years $70 million.

Renew - you serious about liking the E. Moore signing or joking about how an undersized backup shooting guard got $8.5 per year ? Would have rather signed Jared Dudley myself for 3 years $30 million.

I'll take my chances on a guy who can play D, proven to be consistent, has improved his shot nearly every year, 3 years younger, and lots more mileage left (5 year career vs 9 year career).

Pelicans needed to improve defensively - simple as that. He fills a big need off the bench and doesnt need the ball in his hands to be effective.

I mean, Mike fucking Conley? Owners should lock these players out if this is what it's coming to...

I mean, Mike fucking Conley? Owners should lock these players out if this is what it's coming to...

They're probably not too upset about it at all to be honest. They're about to cash in after next season, the salaries in the league are all about to increase, this is just the beginning.

No, I certainly don't feel bad for the owners, but when Mike Conley is making $30 million per season, this starts to smell like when KG turned down over $100 million from the T Wolves and then got $121 million after driving a hard bargain all while saying "it wasn't about the loot". The lockout was shortly thereafter.

and best tweet of the night goes to...

Ottawa_Biatch@Ottawa_Biatch <small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"> 8m8 minutes ago</small>Ottawa, Ontario
Ottawa_Biatch Retweeted Mike Greenberg
To be fair, you're mediocre at what you do and get paid a ton too.

Ottawa_Biatch added,
Mike Greenberg @EspngreenyIt just doesn't make sense for all these mediocre players to be getting paid the way they are.

0 retweets0 likes
<b class="QuoteTweet-fullname u-linkComplex-target" style="display: inline-block;"><button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover js-actionButton js-actionReply" data-modal="ProfileTweet-reply" type="button" style="color: rgb(170, 184, 194); font-family: inherit; font-size: 16px; font-style: inherit; font-variant-caps: inherit; line-height: 1; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; border: 0px; padding: 0px 2px; position: relative;">
</button></b>

Dwade better not take a lowball offer from Miami. The man has given everything to that team and he needs to be rewarded and taken care of. $10 million a year is a disgrace. Go get paid.

do you think Conley is worth 3x as much per season as the 2 time MVP?

Thats a ridiculous question. There's no point in thinking that way because the pool of players is so limited. This isn't a free market where there are thousands of potential applicants for the job. The teams HAVE to spend 85 million as that's the floor. If they let Conley go that could do more harm than good. Conley is a very good point guard.

d-wade is looking for atleast 20 mill from what I read.

when you got 94 million to divide among 12 players - people gonna get paid. these deals this year are gonna look like pennies when the cap hits $110 million next year lol

And steph curry is a very special case. When the time comes he's going to make 30-35 million a year. Without a doubt.... The Warriors were able to be as good as they were because he was the 5th highest paid on the team.

Thats a ridiculous question. There's no point in thinking that way because the pool of players is so limited. This isn't a free market where there are thousands of potential applicants for the job. The teams HAVE to spend 85 million as that's the floor. If they let Conley go that could do more harm than good. Conley is a very good point guard.
How many all star games? And he's the highest paid player in HISTORY.

Sure, they have to spend $$$. They don't have to spend all of it on one guy that's not a top 5 player, or a top 10 player, or a top 20 player. come on...

And it's not a ridiculous question. Who gives a shit if the pool is limited. He was not getting close to that contract anywhere else. Not even remotely close. best case scenario was in the $20 million per season range, if that. Memphis blew up their fucking salary cap for 2 average players at best. Their front office are a bunch of imbeciles.

No, I certainly don't feel bad for the owners, but when Mike Conley is making $30 million per season, this starts to smell like when KG turned down over $100 million from the T Wolves and then got $121 million after driving a hard bargain all while saying "it wasn't about the loot". The lockout was shortly thereafter.

The only difference this time is the TV contract that is kicking in after next season. There's no looming lockout at this point, the owners are about to cash in...and that will be passed along to the players.

And steph curry is a very special case. When the time comes he's going to make 30-35 million a year. Without a doubt.... The Warriors were able to be as good as they were because he was the 5th highest paid on the team.
so he's going to make what Conley makes and he's the most elite player (top 3) in the WORLD, and he's making the same as a scrub (in comparison). Ya, nothing wrong with that.

just stop already.

Do you think Ronaldo should get paid as much as he does? No.

Why not? Do you know enough about the specifics of the money soccer teams bring in over in Europe? I certainly don't, but from what has been reported in the past, they're doing quite well for themselves these days, and CR7 is one of the most recognizable and best players in the world. He certainly can't be compared to someone like Mike Conley...maybe LeBron or Steph, but not an above average PG who just signed the richest deal in NBA history.

All that stuff does not matter man. Conley is a fantastic player on and off the court. He has great respect from every one around the league. Idk why everyone gets caught up with the numbers so much. The Grizzlies don't have the option to go into rebuild mode. Losing Conley would put them on that path and he has all the leverage in the world. Don't care about his all star births. What option do they have if they lose him?

Are you guys dissing Mike conley?

No, I don't think the "diss" is directed at Conley himself at all. He's a good PG in the NBA...by no means does that mean he should sign, at any time, the richest contract in league history.

Someone had to. It was going to happen this offseason. Durant's will be higher. Guards are getting paid more than bigs nowadays and so far Conley is the best of the guards that has signed.

All that stuff does not matter man. Conley is a fantastic player on and off the court. He has great respect from every one around the league. Idk why everyone gets caught up with the numbers so much. The Grizzlies don't have the option to go into rebuild mode. Losing Conley would put them on that path and he has all the leverage in the world. Don't care about his all star births. What option do they have if they lose him?

Who knows exactly what their options are/were if he had gone somewhere else. For that money though, it can be easily argued that they could have acquired 2-3 above average players for the same price.

Even if we assume that everything you just said is 100% true...paying Mike Conley over $30 million/yr is hilarious on so many levels.

The only difference this time is the TV contract that is kicking in after next season. There's no looming lockout at this point, the owners are about to cash in...and that will be passed along to the players.

that's sort of my point. No business wants to see their sales go way up but profits stay essentially the same. Granted, this is no ordinary business, but these owners didn't get wealthy because they were dumb.

I absolutely get that the players will earn more because the cap is going way up. And if you can get paid then good for you, but there is a tipping point somewhere along the line where it starts to get ridiculous. Perhaps we are already there. I just think pretty much every contract today was absurd.

And Conley's agent should have some more players knocking on his door soon for what he pulled off. good for him too I guess haha.

wish they just released salary numbers as a % of cap when signed

lots of these numbers wouldnt look so insane

Back