2015 nba offseason

What makes less sense is the fact there's a week between the opening of free agency and when players can officially sign.

It used to be 15 days.

This is when the league 'calculates' salary cap etc...that is their reasoning...

I know about Boozer and still... signature or not, verbal commitment should be binding.

If you now went to buy a car and told the car owner, that you will buy it - it's binding.

How on earth, in multi million business, this is not binding...

Who knows what Dallas could or would have done, if they knew that DJ won't sign (if it will be the case in the end)?

Just as a sample - LA for some reason doesn't sign with the Spurs and West, gives up 10 mill to sign with Spurs, without LA...

I bet divol deep down is thinking may be the Lakers can still go after DJ

I know about Boozer and still... signature or not, verbal commitment should be binding.

If you now went to buy a car and told the car owner, that you will buy it - it's binding.

How on earth, in multi million business, this is not binding...

Who knows what Dallas could or would have done, if they knew that DJ won't sign (if it will be the case in the end)?

Just as a sample - LA for some reason doesn't sign with the Spurs and West, gives up 10 mill to sign with Spurs, without LA...

Verbal or not, that is how it is and has been for many many years now...

None of these signings are official yet.

Louis/Nick/Kobe within 10 games start fighting to accept the inbound and go iso for there

that team wont take 3s under Byron and they are going to set a record for iso's in a single season

Verbal or not, that is how it is and has been for many many years now...

None of these signings are official yet.

Yes, but there is a reason why we can count on one hand the number of times player broke their verbal commitment...

I don't remember what happened in Boozer's case, but I believe that if DJ doesn't sign with Dallas, they can sue him for all the damages he caused.

Lou Williams probably put up the most phony baloney numbers in a season since Iverson's heyday. Talk about a guy who doesn't understand the meaning of "it's not your night"...

Yes, but there is a reason why we can count on one hand the number of times player broke their verbal commitment...

I don't remember what happened in Boozer's case, but I believe that if DJ doesn't sign with Dallas, they can sue him for all the damages he caused.

No law guy here but this isn't that type of 'verbal'/'oral' contract.

they are not going to sue him

they would never get another FA in the building

how many times do you think teams pull offers from players when something else comes up

It is within the rules of the CBA, real world doesn't matter...

owners/gms do it all the time... qualifying offers- then releasing the player, renouncing rights to players - in these cases the teams are in control,, right now the player is in control....

not sure why you want anything verbal from an NBA player to be binding. They change their mind every day. Verbal agreements are nothing in sports. That's why Joe Smith had to get Glen Taylor to guarantee him a contract a year before he could legally negotiate when he was with the Wolves (and the NBA found out about it and took all their draft picks).

This isn't the old west where your word is your bond. That's why they have things called contracts that require signatures.

owners/gms do it all the time... qualifying offers- then releasing the player, renouncing rights to players - in these cases the teams are in control,, right now the player is in control....

The difference is that they "do it all the time" like you said. Player knows the risk and they aren't promising they will sign a player and then renounce him.

And again, in the real world, verbal contract is binding - I don't get why in the NBA it's not the case.

Furthermore, how can teams plan the free agency period, if players commitments won't be worth a thing?

Many don't like Clippers already and if they do get DJ back, after commiting to Dallas... they will have a lot more people not liking them.
I remember I really hated what Boozer did to Cleveland and many reacted the same way and it will happen again...

so when teams promise a guy in the draft he wont get past them

and they choose someone else, can he sue for the difference in pay between being picked 10th for 19th?

so when teams promise a guy in the draft he wont get past them

and they choose someone else, can he sue for the difference in pay between being picked 10th for 19th?

If they give him a direct promise, without any "if" and "maybe" - I believe it should be the case - if he can show damage. If he didn't workout for other teams because of that promise or something - yes, I believe he has a case.

The difference is that they "do it all the time" like you said. Player knows the risk and they aren't promising they will sign a player and then renounce him.

And again, in the real world, verbal contract is binding - I don't get why in the NBA it's not the case.

Furthermore, how can teams plan the free agency period, if players commitments won't be worth a thing?

NO difference - both verbal agreements,,,, teams no the risk..... players have their own futures to worry about.. financial , life, where to live.....How can players plan their lives?

CJayFwBWgAAcnf_.png

Oh no. The longer I wait to run naked the worse it gets. For everybody.

oh, we just thought you were getting in shape for this walk................:rofl:

I got in shape yesterday. I'm currently getting in shape by drinking a tall boy and smoking a cigar on the patio.

any shape will do........:cigarguy:

I might bike to Akron and back this month. But that's only 50 miles round trip, and I was planning on clothes. Can I count that and call it settled?

Why?

because he is 26 , and his having second thoughts on a life changing decision ...???

What does being 26 have to do with anything? I don't care what his reasoning is. Waiting one week to do this is just not right. What he's doing is unethical and is going to be stopped in the future somehow

What does being 26 have to do with anything? I don't care what his reasoning is. Waiting one week to do this is just not right. What he's doing is unethical and is going to be stopped in the future somehow

He is young, never had to make a major decision...deciding between spending the next 4 years of your life....
so if he did it in 5 days it's ok???
unethical?? Silly, read the thread the CBA allows it, owners do similar to players....all Ethical...

He is young, never had to make a major decision...deciding between spending the next 4 years of your life....
so if he did it in 5 days it's ok???
unethical?? Silly, read the thread the CBA allows it, owners do similar to players....all Ethical...
You make it sound like the Clippers low balled him the first time and then came back with a better offer. If it was that hard for him to make a decision, maybe he should of thought it through a little more instead of negatively impacting the lives of multiple people. And 26 is plenty old enough in real terms, never mind the fact he's been in the league for seven years.

Now if Deandre somehow tore his ACL this past week after verbally accepting the Mavs offer, would Dallas still sign him to what they promised???

I guess my point is, until you sign the dotted line in ink, anybody can do anything. Nothing is official or final.

To tell you the truth, he'll go farther in the playoffs with the Clips and not the Mavs.

You make it sound like the Clippers low balled him the first time and then came back with a better offer. If it was that hard for him to make a decision, maybe he should of thought it through a little more instead of negatively impacting the lives of multiple people. And 26 is plenty old enough in real terms, never mind the fact he's been in the league for seven years.

How do I make it sound like the clips low balled him??

Back