2014 MLB Trade Deadline Rumors and Deals

Sean McAdam @Sean_McAdam <small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"> 2m</small>
Red Sox get LHP Eduardo Rodriguez for Miller. Ranked as No. 3 prospect in BAL system, projected as middle-of-rotation starter. At Double A.

Why is it so hard for the Phillies to trade Byrd? I don't think there is another Right handed OF on the market, and the guy is having a very good year. If he's not traded by today, this is stupid!

Because he's 35 and has one year left on his deal at $8M, which isn't too bad....the other reason (probably the main reason) is that the Phillies are asking for a ton back for him, they are shooting for the stars to trade anyone of their guys, but doing it for Byrd makes little sense.

Cespedes is very overated. I think it's bc hes on Sportscenter with homers and runners thrown out.

But, he's 28 and a FA after 2015. If he wants Cano or Ellsbury money, teams would be insane to pay him that.

He had a very good rookie year. Last year, he hit .240/.294/.442 and this year is at .256/.303/.464. His defense is below average despite making hightlights of throwing a couple runners out. So, who wants to pay Cespedes Cano type money for a player with 2 tools; power and arm?

Oakland is a big park and has suppressed Cespedes' numbers somewhat, but he's pretty over rated by baseball fans bc he is good at the highlight plays.

stop calling Cespedes a monster and a star. the guy has a sub .300 OBP over the last two years

He's not a great player, but he's on pace for a 3.3 WAR season right now

and he's had 2.9 and 2.3 seasons in the past, he's cut his strikeouts down to 18% this year, and for a guy with his power his BABIP is low, he doesn't walk but in a better park he could easily be a

280/320/480 guy

that's 4-5 WAR, so if someone is going to give him 15m per season at least, and as long as it's not too long term its a good contract

I also disagree on his defense, I think he's pretty good

How come none of these MLB teams, going back 15-20 years, never, ever learn their lesson on the contracts. The Arod trivia question, and the trade deadline always reminds me. WTF are the Phillies going to do with Ryan Howard and Cliff Lee? The Rangers TRADED FOR Prince Fielder? There will come a day, hopefully sooner, when fatty Miggy is hitting like Nick Swisher but making 20-million+, time catches up with everyone. The Dodgers want Matt Kemp to die. Pedroia hits like my wife. Jeter's been a stiff for years. Pujols is a broken down pig farmer. The Giants and all those ridiculous pitcher contracts. Does anyone, ANYONE, ever live up to these deals?
No....and it is why baseball sucks

when the inmates run the asylum....

Because he's 35 and has one year left on his deal at $8M, which isn't too bad....the other reason (probably the main reason) is that the Phillies are asking for a ton back for him, they are shooting for the stars to trade anyone of their guys, but doing it for Byrd makes little sense.

in fairness, teams are not being reasonable. Phillies arent asking for a top prospect, but also not a reliever or a AAAA caliber starter (we have plenty of those).

I think Byrd to Mariners for Paxton made at on of sense, but Ms wanted no part of it. If teams wont trade their prospects, there is nothing thephillies can do

in fairness, teams are not being reasonable. Phillies arent asking for a top prospect, but also not a reliever or a AAAA caliber starter (we have plenty of those).

I think Byrd to Mariners for Paxton made at on of sense, but Ms wanted no part of it. If teams wont trade their prospects, there is nothing thephillies can do

Teams are being reasonable it seems...they may be trying to low ball a little bit, but if every team is coming away saying the Phils are asking for too much, at some point it's on the Phillies. He's on the hook for $8M next year with a player option for 2016 at the same price.

I think Cespedes is pretty good too, teed, power doesn't grow on trees or drip out of syringes anymore. A's are taking a calculated shot here to win it all. And they probably wouldn't sign his next contract (next year?). So they traded to beef up the rotation for this October.

hes also an outfielder who will give you solid production. Sorry, we don't want a AAA reliever for that. Neither of us know what Ruben is being offered for him, but I do think that he is valuable to a team who is an outfielder away. Some of the names of guys teams won't trade are just insane (smyly, paxton)...those are not elite guys who should prevent trades that will help the big league teams

How come none of these MLB teams, going back 15-20 years, never, ever learn their lesson on the contracts. The Arod trivia question, and the trade deadline always reminds me. WTF are the Phillies going to do with Ryan Howard and Cliff Lee? The Rangers TRADED FOR Prince Fielder? There will come a day, hopefully sooner, when fatty Miggy is hitting like Nick Swisher but making 20-million+, time catches up with everyone. The Dodgers want Matt Kemp to die. Pedroia hits like my wife. Jeter's been a stiff for years. Pujols is a broken down pig farmer. The Giants and all those ridiculous pitcher contracts. Does anyone, ANYONE, ever live up to these deals?

to be fair to the rangers, kinsler wasn't living up to his end of the contract, and they'd been bird-doggin fielder for a minute. profar was ready to take over and locked up for cheap, coupled with the fact that the tv money they're getting, and a lot of these other larger market teams are getting, almost forces the market to be higher than we would actually set it.

looking back, kinsler is a beast and fielder is hurt. dammit.

Byrd's almost valueless in trade. The Phillies are fools if they don't deal him. What's their position, to spite other teams, continue to suck, and pay a marginal player 8 million dollars?

I think Cespedes is pretty good too, teed, power doesn't grow on trees or drip out of syringes anymore. A's are taking a calculated shot here to win it all. And they probably wouldn't sign his next contract (next year?). So they traded to beef up the rotation for this October.

him, Bogaerts and 2 minor leaguer pitchers for Stanton -- ( book it for the winter GM meetings)

Beane needs to win now... Money ball is nothing until they win a ws...and Lester helps.. A big pitcher in a pitchers park...

"money ball" has been a success whether or not they win a WS, but I do agree they need to win one.

The concept of "money ball" isn't really about the A's philosophy of not giving away outs, getting walks, etc, etc. It is really about being ahead of the curve with "new" type thinking to get a leg up on your competition. Of course, in the book they talked about how the A's were going about it, but it was really about new philosophies, not about that particular philosophy.

Byrd's almost valueless in trade. The Phillies are fools if they don't deal him. What's their position, to spite other teams, continue to suck, and pay a marginal player 8 million dollars?

why should they help a team make a playoff push for nothing in return? might as well keep him if they are getting low balled. i mean, they do need somebody in their lineup who can hit.

dont get me wrong im all for trading him, but you dont trade just to trade, you trade for assets

and he's had 2.9 and 2.3 seasons in the past, he's cut his strikeouts down to 18% this year, and for a guy with his power his BABIP is low, he doesn't walk but in a better park he could easily be a

280/320/480 guy

that's 4-5 WAR, so if someone is going to give him 15m per season at least, and as long as it's not too long term its a good contract

30 hitters have above a 3.3 WAR right now. Add in guys who are hurt and pitchers and you're probably looking at 50+
the guy is going to be 29 in october, it's unlikely he's going to get that much better.

why should they help a team make a playoff push for nothing in return? might as well keep him if they are getting low balled. i mean, they do need somebody in their lineup who can hit.

dont get me wrong im all for trading him, but you dont trade just to trade, you trade for assets

Well they wouldn't be getting nothing in return, just not what they seem to want. There has to be some give and take in any deal, and from the sounds of it, it's the Phillies who are asking for way too much.

Can we assume that there's a fit somewhere? He's a 35-year-old journeyman. Again, to not trade him, just to get younger or beef up the minors, is stupid. Sometimes those guys cash. Would you have taken Corey Kluber for him three years ago?

Well they wouldn't be getting nothing in return, just not what they seem to want. There has to be some give and take in any deal, and from the sounds of it, it's the Phillies who are asking for way too much.

The O's just traded their 3 prospect for a lefty reliever. Not out of line to want that for Byrd. Not a 1 or even 2 prospect, but a 3-4 prospect

The asking price for Marlon Byrd is said to be extremely high, with interested teams saying the Phillies would have to lower it to move him.

Byrd should be among the Phils' most movable pieces, but there's no certainty he goes at this point.
Word is, the Phillies handed Seattle a list of three good prospects, and suggested the Mariners pick two to send for Byrd. That seemed to scuttle things, though Seattle's other hurdle was that Byrd has a no-trade there (and three other places) and was asking that his 2016 option be picked up for him to approve a trade.

But, according to a person with knowledge of the talks, the Phillies believe what they've been offered for Byrd, considering his production, is "embarrassing." In some cases, that person said, the bids are pitchers with 5-plus and 6-plus ERAs.
Byrd is having a nice year, but his $8 million salary for next year gives some teams pause, much less the option for '16.

If I'm one of these teams, I tell Philly to enjoy Marlon Byrd, you earned him.

Can we assume that there's a fit somewhere? He's a 35-year-old journeyman. Again, to not trade him, just to get younger or beef up the minors, is stupid. Sometimes those guys cash. Would you have taken Corey Kluber for him three years ago?

honestly no, but that is kind of an anomaly. I follow minor league baseball very in depth. I am right a lot. I had ZERO clue Kluber was going to be this good. I used to fade him in years past. Yeah, that happens sometimes if guys change things. Happening in detroit with JD Martinez too. He was a 4th OF at best until he retooled his swing

30 hitters have above a 3.3 WAR right now. Add in guys who are hurt and pitchers and you're probably looking at 50+
the guy is going to be 29 in october, it's unlikely he's going to get that much better.

I never said he was going to get better, the park will improve his numbers

also the amount of gets at 3.3 WAR or higher doesn't change anything, it's generally accepted that 1 WAR = 5m and thats only going to rise as more and more tv money comes in

The O's just traded their 3 prospect for a lefty reliever. Not out of line to want that for Byrd. Not a 1 or even 2 prospect, but a 3-4 prospect

Byrd was a FA before the season that any team could have had. The Phillies overpaid to get him, and now want a stud prospect or two back in return.

The O's felt they needed a lefty reliever to get over the hump this year....deals are made due to needs that teams have. It seems not too many teams feel they are "only" Marlon Byrd away from getting to the WS, or they would be offering more.

Take off your Philly glasses for just one second and realize that the Phillies seem to be the ones asking for too much here.

The asking price for Marlon Byrd is said to be extremely high, with interested teams saying the Phillies would have to lower it to move him.

Byrd should be among the Phils' most movable pieces, but there's no certainty he goes at this point.
Word is, the Phillies handed Seattle a list of three good prospects, and suggested the Mariners pick two to send for Byrd. That seemed to scuttle things, though Seattle's other hurdle was that Byrd has a no-trade there (and three other places) and was asking that his 2016 option be picked up for him to approve a trade.

But, according to a person with knowledge of the talks, the Phillies believe what they've been offered for Byrd, considering his production, is "embarrassing." In some cases, that person said, the bids are pitchers with 5-plus and 6-plus ERAs.
Byrd is having a nice year, but his $8 million salary for next year gives some teams pause, much less the option for '16.

also RAJ is such a joke of a GM that teams are afraid to give him anything good at all bc they dont want tobe the one guy who lost a trade with him

also RAJ is such a joke of a GM that teams are afraid to give him anything good at all bc they dont want tobe the one guy who lost a trade with him

That cherry's been popped. Tribe has only Carlos Carrasco to show for Cliff Lee.

But to the Tribe's credit, they don't overvalue players making too much money and players who helped them in 2008.

Byrd was a FA before the season that any team could have had. The Phillies overpaid to get him, and now want a stud prospect or two back in return.

The O's felt they needed a lefty reliever to get over the hump this year....deals are made due to needs that teams have. It seems not too many teams feel they are "only" Marlon Byrd away from getting to the WS, or they would be offering more.

Take off your Philly glasses for just one second and realize that the Phillies seem to be the ones asking for too much here.

I am 100% neutral here. Neither you nor I know anything about what they are asking for or what they are being offered. I'm just saying I wont give him away.

And the Mariners seem to be exactly Marlon Byrd away from being scary. If they are asking for Tijuan Walker, that is one thing. I think Byrd for Paxton is a very good trade for both. If Phillies want more then thats bad by them

I never said he was going to get better, the park will improve his numbers

also the amount of gets at 3.3 WAR or higher doesn't change anything, it's generally accepted that 1 WAR = 5m and thats only going to rise as more and more tv money comes in

right on the WAR/value but to say a guy with a 3 WAR/year is a star is just pushing it.

also, cespedes has a very high % of pulled balls. The monster makes left field short and shifting on him there vs. Oakland makes there less ground to cover everywhere. having the monster doesn't necessarily help

Or, it's just this. Seems the "joke of a GM" is proving why you're calling him that.

I am 100% neutral here. Neither you nor I know anything about what they are asking for or what they are being offered. I'm just saying I wont give him away.

And the Mariners seem to be exactly Marlon Byrd away from being scary. If they are asking for Tijuan Walker, that is one thing. I think Byrd for Paxton is a very good trade for both. If Phillies want more then thats bad by them

I would give him away. Because he isn't worth anything.

Can we also mention here that Byrd is having a VERY good season at age 35. No sign of slowing down. He's signed through next year, but still should be productive.

280/320/480 guy

He also gets hurt or knicked up quite a bit.

2012 - Started 102 games
2013 - Started 107 games
2014 - Started 82 of 106 games

He is a great talent. Could really benefit from playing with Ortiz in Boston (Ortiz can mentor him, Oakland didn't really have that kind of player) and Cespedes can now be the #2 guy behind Ortiz until he is ready to take the reins, and of course the monster in LF will help his hitting. He still has room to develop, but needs to do it quickly or he won't be worth his asking price (based on his potential/abilities). He could grow into a 35 HR, .300 hitter quite easily, but can he stay healthy?

I think part of reason Oakland grabbed Lester was to keep him away from other teams as well. Their pitching is really setup for post season and they have to fill confident going against DET with Max and JV's struggles this year. Oakland needs another OF - I could see them landing Byrd in August.

100% agree. worst gm in any sport ever that i have seen. no exaggeration. never hated a sports figure like i hate him.

Then how in the world can you even consider putting the blame on the other teams trying to trade for Byrd? Maybe they are really low-balling the Phils, but it would seem that going on past performances, it's the Phillies' GM who is screwing the pooch in this case.

Can we also mention here that Byrd is having a VERY good season at age 35. No sign of slowing down. He's signed through next year, but still should be productive.

Sure, he is. He had one last year as well. Whenever a guy starts turning it up at that age, the questions or rumblings of PEDs has to come into play as well.

Can we also mention he's been on 50 teams and has usually stunk for 15 years?

if Amaro is screwing the pooch, we dont know...its probably likely. but there is zero reason to give him away.

As I told D-W the other day, the Indians would kill for Byrd right now, he'd start in LF every day he could drag his old wrinkly ass out there, and probably bat 4th. But I wouldn't give up squat for the guy. The "trade" is paying for his old ass next year.

right on the WAR/value but to say a guy with a 3 WAR/year is a star is just pushing it.

also, cespedes has a very high % of pulled balls. The monster makes left field short and shifting on him there vs. Oakland makes there less ground to cover everywhere. having the monster doesn't necessarily help

oh ya definitely not a star, I just think he's an above average close to elite hitter batting 5th or 6th

probly not worth the money to Oakland because they can't pay more than 1 maybe 2 guys 15m, but for the Red Sox or another team where he can be their 3rd best hitter? good place for him

if Amaro is screwing the pooch, we dont know...its probably likely. but there is zero reason to give him away.

Unless you don't want to pay him $8m next season, which apparently many teams don't want to do

Back