2012 - 2013 Offseason Thread

Why fool you once? He tested positive the first time but except his lawyers found out they didn't ship his sample properly and got the charge dismissed.

0206-todd-helton-mug-shot-tmz-3.jpg

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Mariners have agreed to a seven-year, $175 million contract extension with right-handed starter Felix Hernandez.
The deal -- which truly came out of nowhere -- makes "King Felix" the highest-paid pitcher in baseball history. Hernandez was already under contract for $19.5 million in 2013 and $20 million in 2014. Now he'll make an average salary of $25 million through the 2019 season. The 26-year-old posted a 3.06 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 223/56 K/BB ratio in 232 innings last summer for Seattle. Feb 7 - 2:22 PM
Source: USA Today

Every Yankees fan I know has claimed getting Felix was an inevitable god given right of the yankees

whoops....

On to plan B

(which Im sure will be Kershaw, but then theyll figure out that the Dodgers can outspend them, so better figure out plan C!)

mariners are a good ball club

never seen so much pessimism for an upcoming yankee season, kind of like it

Every Yankees fan I know has claimed getting Felix was an inevitable god given right of the yankees

whoops....

On to plan B

(which Im sure will be Kershaw, but then theyll figure out that the Dodgers can outspend them, so better figure out plan C!)

I'm sure we'll be fine...but then you have much more pressing things to worry about in Philly.

And how the mighty have fallen

Comparing yourselves to the Phillies to feel better about your team?

Hahahahahahahahah

I was asking a legit question dick...hes on my fantasy team

yes, you're always such a sweet heart...as if you couldn't google Pineda and see he just started throwing off a 1/2 mound with the idea he could contribute in July/Aug.

my mistake

And how the mighty have fallen

Comparing yourselves to the Phillies to feel better about your team?

Hahahahahahahahah

WTF you talking about? How long ago was it the Phils were the current and future champs? Yanks prospects haven't been any better than Phils lately...

Wait, so because our GM is a dickweed who has fucked our present and future, Smoke and I can't talk about other franchises?

Phils and Yanks are in the same boat. Not young, not overly talented, need a lot of things to break their way for it to be a good year. No sense in fighting with each others fans. Might as well go through this together. GL

Phils and Yanks are in the same boat. Not young, not overly talented, need a lot of things to break their way for it to be a good year. No sense in fighting with each others fans. Might as well go through this together. GL

sadly, voice of reason ... :shake:

yeah man. and we both have hot shot teams with hot shot gms who know what they are doing in our division. Add to that the fact that teams are locking up young talent early in their careers nowadays, so the past mindset of "oh we have so much money well buy a good team" might not be as easy as it used to be, and we may need to start looking into rebuilding

Mariners fill the spot in the rotation left behind by Jason Vargas with Jason Vargas. I mean, Joe Saunders. Pending physical.

different year, same story :(

No doubt Detroit my fav for AL Champs...loaded lineup & rotation, deep bullpen...closer has to be better than 2012 Valverde.

they are really risking a lot by going with Bruce Rondon. Kid throws gas but nothing aside from a fastball.

I'll definitley be playing a future on the Royals to win the division

I'm high on kc.

Rondon is filthy Dan. Dirty. Just needs experience. Has mentality of closer, good 12-6 deuce. He's promising.

CF Michael Bourn
2B Jason Kipnis
SS Asdrubal Cabrera
C Carlos Santana
RF Nick Swisher
1B Mark Reynolds
LF Michael Brantley
3B Lonnie Chisenhall
DH Drew Stubbs

Not bad.

CF Michael Bourn
2B Jason Kipnis
SS Asdrubal Cabrera
C Carlos Santana
RF Nick Swisher
1B Mark Reynolds
LF Michael Brantley
3B Lonnie Chisenhall
DH Drew Stubbs

Not bad.
i don't think they can play reynolds/swisher in the field and DH stubbs...he's one of the best fielders in baseball...he'll be in a worthless LF platoon

If they don't move Stubbs (and I kind of hope they don't), I anticipate that batting order above, but Brantley in LF, Bourn in CF, Stubbs in RF, Swisher at 1B, Reynolds at DH. Will be fun to watch those guys fly around the outfield after watching the likes of Shelly Duncan clomping around out there the last couple years.

Beleive it or not if Reynolds can duplicate his performance in the field at 1B last year he is a better option than Stubbs in the field for now. Small sample size but his fielding last year at first was gold glove caliber

Think you have to play your best defensive outfield. Reynolds may be a better defensive option than Swisher at 1B, but I don't see them regularly DH-ing Swisher. He's going to be the face of the franchise this season. Who knows, Francona and the Indians are mum on the subject. They really hadn't even indicated who would be in CF - Stubbs or Brantley - even prior to signing Bourn. All the position players aren't even in Arizona yet, we'll see how it shakes out. Stubbs may be earmarked for a deal. Good problems to have for a change.

Other Tribe signings lost in the offseason shuffle ... Mike Aviles a while ago. I like that one. Kazmir (a while ago), Jason Giambi & Dice-K (over the weekend) all signed to minor league deals with invites to camp. Tribe throwing a lot of shit against the wall this spring.

Would we even need to play the season? We could just give the Nats the trophy now and save everyone the time

[h=1]Nationals “may try to swoop in and sign” Kyle Lohse[/h] Aaron Gleeman
Feb 12, 2013, 11:19 AM EST

Leave a comment

350x-22.jpg
Getty Images Now that Michael Bourn has his $48 million deal from the Indians the last unsigned free agent with draft pick compensation attached is Kyle Lohse.
There’s been little in the way of reports that he’s in negotiations with any teams, but Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post writes that the Nationals “may try to swoop in and sign” Lohse as rotation depth in case Gio Gonzalez faces a 50-game suspension in connection to the Biogenesis clinic.
Because the Nationals already forfeited their first-round pick to sign Rafael Soriano the cost for adding Lohse would be a second-rounder, and of course no team has a better relationship with Lohse’s (and Soriano’s) agent, Scott Boras.
Washington already has a stacked rotation and good starter depth, so signing Lohse would very much be a luxury for a team with a $110 million payroll already. Still, if Lohse’s price tag drops low enough and Boras gives Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo another call the best on-paper team in the National League could get even stronger.

Back