Your top 4 before 'Selection Sunday' and a personal take as well...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Florida State

I say these are the 4 best teams right now.

I might make TCU 2 to be honest.

The Baylor/TCU debate is interesting. I did not see 2h of their matchup and I have seen box since. I believe TCU is better team.

For those debating Baylor/TCU...I was waiting for Baylor to play K-State and see what the panel does. If all is fair, Baylor should be above TCU....again though I rate TCU very high.

Ohio State was great tonight. That doesn't matter, no one above them lost. BOTTOM LINE. Plus the B1G is the worst of the Power 5 conferences.

Oh yeah, thank you Bucks. We somehow won the over on that game with Wisky getting a donut.

1. Florida St (defending champs, have not lost a game in what 28 and only undefeated and conf not as bad as some say, toughest non-conf sched too)
2. Bama
3. Ducks
4. Baylor (beat TCU plain and simple for me when all else looks equal, dont think they are better, but again they won head2head, otherwise whats the point of playing head2head if it doesnt matter)

5. TCU
6. Ohio St (lost to va tech at home by 14,horrible team, almost lost to another horrible penn st team in 2ot if not for highly ?? calls)

pr in order

1. bama
2. Oregon
3. tcu
4. Baylor

The four I would put in .... in order

1. FSU
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. Baylor

The four we will see in order

1. bama
2. Oregon
3. fsu
4. tcu

Comment: Once again the system is showing how not having objective measures dictate playoff eligibility creates a failing. 8 conferences, champion of each to the playoff ends all debate.

My rankings:

1. FSU
2. Bama
3. Org
4. Baylor

To be the Champ you have to beat the Champs. (You can't let Repeating / Back to Back or Defending your trophy phrases fade away or die out)

What it will be :

1. Bama
2. Org
3. FSU
4. Ohio St

Why? Conspiracy Theory coming......

These are the teams that will make the most money out of the 6 teams that are in contention.
That is what it all boils down to correct?
The rankings will put Bama & Fsu closer to home and will fill up the seats and every bar & hotel in that city.
Org and Ohio St will do the same.

I do not believe TCU & Baylor would have the following that Ohio St could bring to a city to fill it up.

The ONLY think that could work would be if TCU / Baylor made it to the Champ gm.... it would basically be a home gm for either of those 2 schools.

Putting tcu ahead of Baylor basically means the result between the 2 teams was pointless. I have Ohio st in.

alabama
oregon
tcu
osu

given their body of work and struggling almost every game, I would not put FSU in. I don't understand why people were so ok with leaving marshall out of the top 25 for so long because their wins simply weren't great, but bumping FSU down for struggling against relatively weak wins is some sort of blasphemy.

1. Florida St (defending champs, have not lost a game in what 28 and only undefeated and conf not as bad as some say, toughest non-conf sched too)
2. Bama
3. Ducks
4. Baylor (beat TCU plain and simple for me when all else looks equal, dont think they are better, but again they won head2head, otherwise whats the point of playing head2head if it doesnt matter)

5. TCU
6. Ohio St (lost to va tech at home by 14,horrible team, almost lost to another horrible penn st team in 2ot if not for highly ?? calls)

FSU - last year doesn't matter

TCU/Baylor -- what if TCU won all their games by 40 and Baylor won all theirs by 1? would you still agree that head2head is an end all be all tie breaker? this committee is in place specifically to be objective

either way, what a shitty year for a first year of a committee! hopefully turns to 8 teams and some sort of conference winners auto bids soon.

I think we may see Oregon go to 1 and have ore/osu and bama/fsu..

keeps your traditional rose bowl matchup and gives two southern teams in the sugar. ..helps with travel

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Florida State

I say these are the 4 best teams right now.

I might make TCU 2 to be honest.

The Baylor/TCU debate is interesting. I did not see 2h of their matchup and I have seen box since. I believe TCU is better team.

For those debating Baylor/TCU...I was waiting for Baylor to play K-State and see what the panel does. If all is fair, Baylor should be above TCU....again though I rate TCU very high.

Ohio State was great tonight. That doesn't matter, no one above them lost. BOTTOM LINE. Plus the B1G is the worst of the Power 5 conferences.

Oh yeah, thank you Bucks. We somehow won the over on that game with Wisky getting a donut.
BAR BAR your the man but:holycow:when you have people like RICE voting who should get in or not you know the right teams will get in my god :rofl:that's why football is not like it was years back . these guys that vote most are blind anyways old they have no clue what there doing BAYLOR should be in but it don't matter to me I just care about the mistakes the oddsmakers make for the bowl game

Ohio St. looked great last night but if we're talking full season resume they have the worst loss of all the contenders. Have to put TCU or Baylor ahead of them.

I think we may see Oregon go to 1 and have ore/osu and bama/fsu..

keeps your traditional rose bowl matchup and gives two southern teams in the sugar. ..helps with travel

I see this too. All about the $ and fan base travel as well...OSU can pack more fannies than Baylor and TCU combined.

I don't necessarily agree with it, because I do think Oregon/TCU are the best teams in the country right now.

I think they would look like absolute idiots dropping TCU from #3 to out of it in one week based on this past weekend results, I don't see it happening.

Though, hunt's point is valid. Bama/Tosu and Oregonk/FSU is ratings gold.

alabama
oregon
tcu
osu

given their body of work and struggling almost every game, I would not put FSU in. I don't understand why people were so ok with leaving marshall out of the top 25 for so long because their wins simply weren't great, but bumping FSU down for struggling against relatively weak wins is some sort of blasphemy.

I don't see how you can make any argument that a 1-loss Ohio State should be in over an undefeated FSU. You think the Big 10 is a stronger conference than the ACC?

I'd say:
1. Bama
2 oregon

those are easy

3. Ohio st--way more impressive than fsu last night
4. Florida state--as usual just squeak by in a game

that's my 4

My rankings:

1.Oregon
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. TCU

FSU is not an elite team. They did win against GT, but they are not on the level of the above 4.

What it will be:

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. FSU
4. OSU

Wish GT had done their part and that there was an 8 team playoff. Most things in this country are rigged. Wisconsin was always a fraud. It is convenient to avoid drama selecting tOSU. I hope not. I do think TCU is better than Baylor but they lost to them.

Bama
FSU
Oregon
Baylor

I do sometimes feel the GOD, Team, Conference

8 teams would be freaking perfect. It would just add one more game to each and would be inclusive enough. If tOsu gets in and knocks off Bama, Urban Meyer is on Mt Rushmore.

I would rank like this:

t-1. Alabama
t-1. Oregon
3. Florida St
4. Baylor

I think the Committee will rank like this:
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida St
4. Ohio St.

That would put the geographic match up Bama vs FSU and the traditional Rose matchup of Big Ten vs Pac 12.

I can not and will not ignore a head-to-head game between TCU and Baylor when the rest of the resume is fairly even.

TCU's best win is over a 9 win Kansas St team. They also beat 8 win OU, 8 win Minny and 8 win WVU = 4 good wins. Quality loss at Baylor.
Baylor's best win is over an 11 win TCU team. They also beat 9 win OU and 8 win K St = 3 good wins. Played horrible, but not a horrible loss considering WVU is a decent 8 win team. Remember WVU almost beat TCU too in Morgantown. TCU played rather horrible at times too in that one.

Victories over double digit win teams:
Alabama: 2 (Miss St and Mizzou)
Oregon: 2 (Arz and Mich St)
Ohio St: 2 (Mich St and Wisconsin)
Florida St: 1 (GT)
Baylor: 1 (TCU)
TCU: 0

So who has the best win/wins? When answering that question TCU can't compare. Had they beaten Baylor it would be a totally different story.

I think the committee is going to send a message to both Baylor and TCU.

For Baylor, by leaving them out they are going to send a message that weak out of conference scheduling can and will hurt you.
For TCU, and really the Big XII teams as a whole, they are going to send a message of how much they value a 13th game in a Conference Championship matchup vs a quality opponent and not be left with squabling and tie breaking arguing. Pitting division winners vs each other has it's own flaws to me, but in the eyes of this committee it is going to mean alot I predict.

Plus the committee gets to weasel out of picking the TCU/Baylor equation by putting in Ohio St ahead of them avoiding that bit of controversy. Oh there will be controversy alright. But if they put in TCU over Baylor plus left Ohio State out they would face it on two fronts. By putting in Ohio St and leaving both TCU and Baylor out they effectively boil it down to one issue and since the Big XII's championship is somewhat flawed right now they can deflect it back towards the conference rather than themselves.

Then we have the whole fans who travel and TV market revenue thing with Ohio St.

I like Baylor over Ohio St still. Sure Ohio St does have 9 wins vs bowl eligible teams (Baylor only 5). And Ohio St does have 6 wins vs teams with 7+ wins, Baylor has just 3. But I don't see strength in that. 6-6 Penn St and 6-6 Illinois and 6-5 Navy as a collection aren't really any better than 6-6 Texas or 6-6 Oklahoma St are they? I don't give Ohio St that much of a bump for wins over 7 win Rutgers and 7 win Maryland who got absolutely destroyed by all the B1G power teams. And a home loss to 6-6 to VT is worse that a road loss to 8-4 WVU.

I won't argue too much with someone who has Ohio St in. I think the arguments are close. I do however feel strongly that wherever you rank Baylor, they should definitely be ahead of TCU.

I do sometimes feel the GOD, Team, Conference

8 teams would be freaking perfect. It would just add one more game to each and would be inclusive enough. If tOsu gets in and knocks off Bama, Urban Meyer is on Mt Rushmore.

Why perfect?

You really want to add Michigan St in who already lost to Oregon and Ohio St?

Or Miss St who already lost to Bama? Surely you don't want 3 loss teams in the pool of elite teams do you?

Go back in history and look. It is so easy to say make it 8 teams, but when it comes down to it you water down the pool greatly by including teams that already lost to teams ranked ahead of them. Why not respect the results on the field of the regular season? Keeping the National Championship pool small does that.

just take conference winners. all problems solved. every team is finally eligible to win... how you get to the playoffs has a clear and objective path instead of figure skating judges. The champion will be decided on a field instead of in a committee room .... it is so apparent that it is the right way to go that it boggles the mind that it isn't done.

So the B12 plays a 9 game conference schedule and the other P5 plays a 9 game schedule (including the championship game). That extra 13th game that people are touting is essentially a cream puff ala Western Carolina, Kent State and Citadels of the world. What is the difference? Does the championship game carry that much weight?

is there anyone in here who would make tosu a favorite over tcu or Baylor? didn't think so ... they were four pt dogs to Wisconsin on a neutral for petes sake So not only does tosu lose the resume battle, the eye test battle ... they also lose the gambler battle. that is to say .. if you want the four best, it cant include tosu ... if you want the four most deserving it doesn't include tosu.

This is about to be really disgusting ... ....

just take conference winners. all problems solved. every team is finally eligible to win... how you get to the playoffs has a clear and objective path instead of figure skating judges. The champion will be decided on a field instead of in a committee room .... it is so apparent that it is the right way to go that it boggles the mind that it isn't done.

If we are going to see change again from this system then that is what I want. 8 teams all conference winners. I do not want teams that didn't win their conferences eligible to play for the national title. Nebraska in 01 and Oklahoma in 03 and dare I even say Alabama in '12 should not have been eligible if I was writing the rules.

The biggest problem with what you are saying Kylie is that it takes all the decision making in the process out of people's hands who want to control it. So that will never happen.

Plus you do have to answer the fact that AAC, CUSA, MWC (what about MAC and SunBelt) aren't generally worthy of playing for all the marbles compared to the power conference teams every year.

But on balance I would tend to agree with that kind of system. Everyone knows the rules. Win your conference and you are in. Very straight forward and simple. But the powers that be would never let it happen that way.

If we are going to see change again from this system then that is what I want. 8 teams all conference winners. I do not want teams that didn't win their conferences eligible to play for the national title. Nebraska in 01 and Oklahoma in 03 and dare I even say Alabama in '12 should not have been eligible if I was writing the rules.

The biggest problem with what you are saying Kylie is that it takes all the decision making in the process out of people's hands who want to control it. So that will never happen.

Plus you do have to answer the fact that AAC, CUSA, MWC (what about MAC and SunBelt) aren't generally worthy of playing for all the marbles compared to the power conference teams every year.

But on balance I would tend to agree with that kind of system. Everyone knows the rules. Win your conference and you are in. Very straight forward and simple. But the powers that be would never let it happen that way.

Perhaps if the playing field were even, those schools have a shot at recruiting better players who want to compete for championships? In other words, the balance nationwide should get better ... instead of concentrating all the talent in the sec big12 and some years pac12.

So the B12 plays a 9 game conference schedule and the other P5 plays a 9 game schedule (including the championship game). That extra 13th game that people are touting is essentially a cream puff ala Western Carolina, Kent State and Citadels of the world. What is the difference? Does the championship game carry that much weight?

I would put Baylor over Ohio St closely.

I do think in the eyes of this committee it is going to be a big difference since it acts as a huge be-all end-all game that decides who wins one's league. A playoff of it's own of sorts. I don't like league title games, but we'll find out just how much the committee does soon.

Perhaps if the playing field were even, those schools have a shot at recruiting better players who want to compete for championships? In other words, the balance nationwide should get better ... instead of concentrating all the talent in the sec big12 and some years pac12.

I like it.

I'm fairly ok with what we have now, but if there is ever any expansion beyond this I will 100% be on board with an all conference champions 8 team model. You would probably though still have to use some ranking to determine what 3 teams from the group of 5 can join the power 5 winners. But it shouldn't be too hard to sort out the best midmajor teams really.

Here is something I put together last night for another site:

Tale of the tape:

Alabama 12-1
Wins vs .500 or better teams = 9, total score 324 - 167, avg score 36 - 18.5
Wins vs 7-5 or better teams = 6, total score 234 - 113, avg score 39 - 19
Wins vs 8-4 or better teams = 5, total score 175 - 113, avg score 35 - 22.6
Wins vs 10-2 or better teams = 2, total score 67 - 33, avg score 33.5 - 16.5

*Won 25-20 home vs 10-2 Miss St and 42-13 vs 10-3 Missouri SEC Title

*Lost 17-23 at 9-3 Ole Miss

Baylor 10-1
Wins vs .500 or better teams = 5, total score 224 - 134, avg score 45 - 27
Wins vs 8-4 or better teams = 3, total score 147 - 99, avg score 49 - 33
Wins vs 11-1 or better teams = 1, score 61 - 58

*Won 61-58 home vs 11-1 TCU

*Lost 27-41 at 8-4 West Virginia

Florida State 13-0
Wins vs .500 or better teams = 9, total score 300 - 244 = avg score 33 - 27
Wins vs 7-5 or better teams = 6, total score 209 - 168 = avg score 35 - 28
Wins vs 9-3 or better teams = 3, total score 102 - 83 = avg score 34 - 27.6
Wins vs 10-2 or better teams = 1, score 37 - 35

*Won 37-35 vs 10-3 GT ACC Title

Ohio State 12-1
Wins vs .500 or better teams = 9, total score 417 - 185, avg score 46 - 20.5
Wins vs 7-5 or better teams = 6, total score 297 - 130, avg score 49.5 - 21.6
Wins vs 8-4 or better teams = 4, total score 189 - 89, avg score 47 - 22
Wins vs 9-3 or better teams = 3, total score 158 - 65, avg score 52.6 - 21.6
Wins vs 10-2 teams = 2, total score 108 - 37, avg score 54 - 18.5

*Won 49-37 at 10-2 Michigan St, Won 59-0 vs 10-3 Wisconsin Big Ten Title

*Lost 21-35 home vs 6-6 Virginia Tech

Oregon 12-1
Wins vs .500/7-5 or better teams = 6, total score 280 - 133, avg score 46.6 - 22
Wins vs 8-4 or better teams = 5, total score 235 - 117, avg score 47 - 23
Wins vs 9-3 or better teams = 3, total score 139 – 70, avg score 46 - 23
Wins vs 10-2 or better teams = 2, total score 97 – 40, avg score 48.5 - 20

*Won 51-13 vs 10-3 Arizona PAC 12 Title and 46-27 home vs 10-2 Michigan St

*Lost 24-31 home vs 10-3 Arizona

TCU 11-1
Wins vs .500 or better teams = 6, total score 229 – 109, avg score 38 - 18
Wins vs 8-4 or better teams = 4, total score 139 – 90, avg score 35 – 22.5
Wins vs 9-3 or better teams = 1, score 41-20

*Won 41-20 home vs 9-3 Kansas State

*Lost 58-61 at 11-1 Baylor

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. Ohio St
4. FSU

Have no problem with Ohio St bumping out TCU. There should have never been at #3 in the beginning for beating a horrible Texas team.

My rankings:

1.Oregon
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. TCU

FSU is not an elite team. They did win against GT, but they are not on the level of the above 4.

What it will be:

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. FSU
4. OSU

With out of conference games vs 6-5 Florida and 7-5 Notre Dame and 6-6 Oklahoma St...not great teams granted. But you run the table in the ACC and then play 3 bowl eligible teams out of conference and not lose a game. 13-0 FSU being left out of a 4 team playoff is absurd.

TCU should not have been 3rd last week. The committee has shit on their face for that.

If they had Ohio St or Baylor in the 4 hole I would have understood what they were thinking. Baylor is my preference, but I get why they have Ohio St there.

Back